PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-04-18, 17:48:34
News: If you have a suggestion or need for a new board title, please PM the Admins.
Please remember to keep topics and posts of the FE or casual nature. :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Author Topic: Wesley news #2 Wesley succesfully performs his TK test in a remote location  (Read 144811 times)

Group: Renaissance Man

Buy me a cigar
Dear Itsu.

My apologies, having re read my post I can see the ambiguity !!  :-[

The way I see it is that L1 is the 4 section set of coils that are wound the same as you would a toroid.  L3 is the circumferential single ended winding underneath L1 and L2.  As I stated in my earlier post I wonder if this circumferential coil is to a length that corresponds to a fraction of the operating frequency ??  ;)

Cheers Grum.

---------------------------
Nanny state ? Left at the gate !! :)

Group: Elite Experimentalist

Dear Itsu.

My apologies, having re read my post I can see the ambiguity !!  :-[

The way I see it is that L1 is the 4 section set of coils that are wound the same as you would a toroid.  L3 is the circumferential single ended winding underneath L1 and L2.  As I stated in my earlier post I wonder if this circumferential coil is to a length that corresponds to a fraction of the operating frequency ??  ;)

Cheers Grum.

Hi Grum,

thanks for clarifying, i see what you mean now.

That would be a 3th option to wind this coil  :D

Concerning the length of a wire when wound in a coil, this will no longer follow the rule for wavelength like it does for like an antenna,
but it very well could pick up enough energy to trigger the NPN transistor, only the idea of winding it circumferentially escapes me (which is nothing new by the way  :) ).

Lets see what i can do with those winding options,  thanks.

Regards Itsu

I used L1 (the circumferential wound 4-part coil) as L3 with one side left open and L3 as L1.
But even using severall different transistors again, no oscillations are noted.

I will wind a new coil like Groundloop suggested with all 3 coils wound the same way.

Not sure how to implement the 4 parts of the L1 coil as simply connecting them in series does not make any sense.
Perhaps i should crossover the severall series parts so that it kind of "hops" around if you see what i mean.

Regards itsu

New coil on new former, all 3 coils (L1, L2 and L3) in same direction/plane.
L1 consists of 4 parts, presently all 4 in series in a normal sequence (eg 1,2,3,4)
No oscillations noted when powering with 3V and using severall transistors/diodes/coil connections.

Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crlOMx6cqb0&feature=youtu.be

Next i will try to change the L1 sequence, like: 1,3,2,4 etc.

Regards Itsu

Group: Moderator

I think i can see a (red/brown) capacitor at the top.
...or even two of them.

No oscillations noted when powering with 3V and using severall transistors/diodes/coil connections.
I don't understand how this circuit is supposed to oscillate, but if it does oscillate in the MHz range then your long and coiled "alligator wires" present a high impedance at such frequencies (e.g. at 2MHz that calculates to: 12.6Ω for each 1μH ).
« Last Edit: 2014-02-12, 15:09:00 by verpies »

I don't understand how this circuit is supposed to oscillate, but if it does oscillate in the MHz range then your long and coiled "alligator wires" present a high impedance at such frequencies (e.g. at 2MHz that calculates to: 12.6Ω for each 1μH ).

Thanks verpies,

point well taken.

I have eliminated those  "alligator wires", see picture, however, no oscillations still.
Manipulating the L1 4-part coil sequence now......

Regards Itsu

After playing around with this circuit for the last 2 days, no oscillations are noted when powered with ±3V.

When feeding L3 with my SG (with and without power on the circuit), i see the leds being lit at specific
power levels (from my SG i mean, like 5V pp sign wave) and frequencies like 2.9MHz and around 5.7MHz and 9MHz.

Probing around with the scope in this situation shows a complicated combination of ac peaks and DC level fluctuation around the 3 leds.
None of them sustain when disconnecting the SG.

Trying to get the circuit oscillating by connecting a capacitor (severall values at severall places (base/collector of the transistors f.i.)
are not successful.

So this circuit seems to be a non oscillator, strongly pointing to a DC power component as being the source of the leds being lit.

Regards Itsu

After playing around with this circuit for the last 2 days, no oscillations are noted when powered with ±3V.
Perhaps a detailed circuit analysis would reveal the needed conditions for it to support oscillations when C1 is charged.
...including capacitive coupling between windings

The attempts so far have been oblivious to transistor bias points, voltage drops, transconductances and betas, signal polarities, RL constants and capacitive couplings.

Right, that's where the EE's should step in in my opinion. 

Regards itsu

Buy me a cigar
Right, that's where the EE's should step in in my opinion.  

Regards itsu

Dear Itsu and the EE's.

Just a slight lateral think thing !!  Could this device be a compact Slayer type device ??  I have attached a circuit below that might help in getting the device to oscillate if nothing else !!

Let us consider the circumferential winding to be  L2 ( Tesla style primary ). Wound over and at 90 deg to, is L1 ( A lot more turns secondary ).

Finally the third coil wound over the other two as a pickup coil with suitable Diodes / Transistors to feed back to the start capacitor.

IMO I think this coil we see was a failed attempt at a TPU but Roman found a way to make it into something else that worked !!

Ok I think I have travelled sideways enough.   ;D   Thoughts anyone ??

Cheers Grum.

Hi Grum,

i used my earlier coil with L1 circular around the former (4x3= 12 turns thick wire)
and wrapped about 600 turns small diameter magnet wire around it as L2
Then topped it of with about 120 turns speaker wire as L3 (pickup coil).

The picture shows the magnet wire shining through the speaker wire.

But again no oscillations noted using the Akula 1W circuit.

Perhaps i should use your (or Slayers) circuit to see if it will produce any RF.

Thanks,  regards Itsu

Buy me a cigar
Hi Grum,

i used my earlier coil with L1 circular around the former (4x3= 12 turns thick wire)
and wrapped about 600 turns small diameter magnet wire around it as L2
Then topped it of with about 120 turns speaker wire as L3 (pickup coil).

The picture shows the magnet wire shining through the speaker wire.

But again no oscillations noted using the Akula 1W circuit.

Perhaps i should use your (or Slayers) circuit to see if it will produce any RF.

Thanks,  regards Itsu

Dear Itsu.

WOW!!  Now that's a coil !!

You have come this far so why not try the Slayer oscillator? You just never know !!

The Scheme reminds me of one of Don Smith's set ups where he had a single central transmitter and four pickup coils at 90 deg spacing !! Sorry more lateral thinking. Must have been a Crab in a former life !!  ;D

Oh BTW, am I allowed to use the DS words ??  There seems to be some sort of taboo regarding that other Guy, you know ***n *****I !!  :)

Cheers Grum.

You have come this far so why not try the Slayer oscillator? You just never know !!

Ok,  i did, and it works alright when using the L2 (600 turns) and the L3 (120 turns).
It oscillates at 480KHz with 60V pp on the open end.

When i use my L1 coil (12 turns circumferential) to drive it,  no dice, not even when i lower the 51K resistor.

Regards Itsu

Buy me a cigar
Ok,  i did, and it works alright when using the L2 (600 turns) and the L3 (120 turns).
It oscillates at 480KHz with 60V pp on the open end.

When i use my L1 coil (12 turns circumferential) to drive it,  no dice, not even when i lower the 51K resistor.

Regards Itsu

Dear Itsu.

Just been listening to the strains of ELO one of my favourite bands !! 60 V p/p, well as dear Verpies always says it's not the volts that matter !! So phase 2 can it self power an LED ??

Back to you !!

Cheers Grum.

The thing runs at 3V / 10mA including the green led that's normally in the circuit.
When attaching a red led to the open end to ground, it lights up depending on how its connected, cathode to ground dimly, pulling even less current,
anode to ground very bright, pulling 1A  :o    (not for a very long time i guess).

Ok,  enough for today.

Regards Itsu

Pictures tell so much more then words, especially moving pictures, so here a video of some testing with this slayer circuit.

First i hooked up the coils of an old kacher oscillator showing the signals coming from that.
Then i hooked up my coil from yesterday and show the same signals.

Not sure where it ties in with the akula replication attempt, but hey, i was stuck on that one anyhow.

Video here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2PtZUeaz88&feature=youtu.be

Regards Itsu

Buy me a cigar
Dear Itsu.

With regards to my suggestion, dear Wattsup placed a nicely drawn schematic on Giantkillers thread.

Here it is.

Cheers Grum.

Thanks Grum,

that's easy enough  ;)

Regards Itsu

Group: Ambassador

Group: Ambassador

Group: Guest
Hello Chet,

after watching this video I was studying the different chemical products formed by this process.
Now Ketene is the one which can be dangerous as it is changing fast to Diketene ( first paragraph here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diketene.

Now the problem with Diketene I found described only in the german wikipedia here:
https://translate.google.de/translate?hl=de&sl=de&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fde.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FDiketen

Another name for Diketene is shown at the top right side in the "General"-Column, line "other names" = 4-methylene-2-oxetanone

At he the end of of the page , topic " Safety" you please pay attention to the explosive character of 4-methylene-2-oxetanone mixed with air

Regards

Mike

Stuff that big capacitor can full of button-cell batteries and then it will work.

When feeding L3 with my SG (with and without power on the circuit), i see the leds being lit at specific
power levels (from my SG i mean, like 5V pp sign wave) and frequencies like 2.9MHz and around 5.7MHz and 9MHz.

Probing around with the scope in this situation shows a complicated combination of ac peaks and DC level fluctuation around the 3 leds.
None of them sustain when disconnecting the SG.

Trying to get the circuit oscillating by connecting a capacitor (severall values at severall places (base/collector of the transistors f.i.)
are not successful.

So this circuit seems to be a non oscillator, strongly pointing to a DC power component as being the source of the leds being lit.

Regards Itsu

Dear Itsu.

With regards to my suggestion, dear Wattsup placed a nicely drawn schematic on Giantkillers thread.

Here it is.

Cheers Grum.

Congratulations! You (or maybe Wattsup) have invented the Avramenko Plug!

Buy me a cigar
Congratulations! You (or maybe Wattsup) have invented the Avramenko Plug!

My dear TinselKoala.

Where have you been for the last 2 years, 7 months, and 19 days ?

:D

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-04-18, 17:48:34