PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2017-10-18, 19:10:23
News: A feature is available which provides a place all members can chat, either publicly or privately.
There is also a "Shout" feature on each page. Only available to members.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13]
Author Topic: Controller No5 With Protection - Looking for Explosions  (Read 37281 times)

Increasing the drains (bifilar coils) voltage from 24V to 42V still does not return the crackling sounds.
A mild whispering is all i can detect together with some shown oscillations on the scope.
I tried all kinds of combinations of frequency, pulse width and delays.

Could it be that the present setup with 900V Cree MOSFETs and 14A drivers is to beefy for the effect to occure (like avalanching or so)?

Itsu

Group: Administrator

Buy me some coffee
Hi Itsu
I never tried the Cree Sics they do have quiet a high on resistance but not sure if that is enough to stop the crackling, do you see the large pulse appear when you do a sweep on the delay.

First screenshot shows the gate signals (yellow and Blue) of the 2 MOSFETs (220ns delay), and the drain signals (green and purple) of the same MOSFETs with attached bifilar coils.
To be noticed is that allthough the gates are switched 220ns apart, the drains show a timed switching.
I would have expected that we would see also a delayed switching on the drains (220ns apart).
(yellow and green are MOSFET 1, blue and purple MOSFET 2).

Second screenshot shows more delayed gate signals (700ns apart) and again the timed drain signals.

So the delayed gate signals do not translate directly to a delayed drain signal, is it the tramsformer function of this bifilar coil causing this?

Itsu

Hi Itsu
I never tried the Cree Sics they do have quiet a high on resistance but not sure if that is enough to stop the crackling, do you see the large pulse appear when you do a sweep on the delay.

you think 0.065 Ohm is quite high?       I am sweeping (+15), but no pulse is seen up till now.

Itsu

Could it be that the present setup with 900V Cree MOSFETs and 14A drivers is to beefy for the effect to occur (like avalanching or so)?
Yes it could be.
Also, the drain pulse shape can be different (and its frequency content)

Hmmm,   i went back to using the 2x IRFP260N MOSFETs driven my a single dual MOSFET driver IXDD604 with 42V on the drains, but no more crackling is heard here too.
It looks like boxing up Peters box has tamed the crackling as that is the only change i did.

I will continue to do some sweeping, but up till now no crackling pulses / oscillations are noted.

Itsu

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13]
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2017-10-18, 19:10:23