PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-04-19, 06:50:55
News: Registration with the OUR forum is by admin approval.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Curio - self spinning rotor  (Read 7165 times)
Group: Moderator

... .-.. .. -.. . .-.
A curio, something unexpected, but likely has a very normal cause.

While looking around for some decent thing of plastic to make a larger rotor, for the EZ Spin project, I found a metal jar lid.
The new 'dancing toys' magnets are ceramic, so I also wanted to see if they would work.
They clipped themselves to the sides of the lid, so that bits good.
A compass showed North for the magnets, South for the gaps between, also good.
A pin was driven through the lid with a hammer and I was setting it all up to be semi-levitated, with some magnets held in the hand.
That didn't work well, so a tiny neo went on top of the pin.
Tried again with the hand held magnets, steady above.
And then.....the rotor set off anti-clockwise, seemingly on its own !

Nothing is running on the bench, magnetic or otherwise.
The speed of rotation has been the same the 3 times tried.

I stopped watching the rotation the first time and brought the top magnets nearer to the rotor again. It started up anti-clockwise again. Tried again, same thing.
So I grabbed the camera.

[youtube]ggcCdoO-vPk[/youtube]

---------------------------
ʎɐqǝ from pɹɐoqʎǝʞ a ʎnq ɹǝʌǝu

... .-.. .. -.. . .-.
Should add - the video is 'Unlisted', not public.
It's just something a bit weird and i would like peoples opinions here, rather than be probably shot at about overunity by YouTube commenters !

Group: Professor

If you make a tripod to hold the magnet instead of your hand, then it will not spin  :(

Group: Renaissance Man

Buy me a cigar
I concur.

A guy called David Hammel first demonstrated this effect with a ring magnet sat upon a large diameter Steel ball. The rotation is caused by the minute movement of your hand, even though your hand appears steady.

He used a circular larger ring of like poles that attracted the magnet slightly, and, as if by magic, the ball started to rotate.

Cheers Grum.

Nanny state ? Left at the gate !! :)

... .-.. .. -.. . .-.
I agree, mentioned Dowsing as being similar on the video.
The thing being, why would my hand go in the same direction by the same amount ? lol, or maybe it's a subtle clue to aging problems in the future.
Quite fascinating though.

Some people say they can tell the sex of an unborn baby, with a string and a magnet over the womb.
Wife thought it might be related to water going down a plug hole.

I'll set it up as semi-levitated and that should be that :)

Group: Elite Experimentalist

Buy me some coffee
I agree, mentioned Dowsing as being similar on the video.
The thing being, why would my hand go in the same direction by the same amount ? lol, or maybe it's a subtle clue to aging problems in the future.
Quite fascinating though.

Some people say they can tell the sex of an unborn baby, with a string and a magnet over the womb.
Wife thought it might be related to water going down a plug hole.

I'll set it up as semi-levitated and that should be that :)
I would fix the magnet to something solid Mark,as this seems to be a little to smooth and slow to be random hand movement

Leave no stone unturned. O0

Never let your schooling get in the way of your education.

Group: Tech Wizard

Yes, Mark   fixing the hand-held magnet will bring you one step closer to the explanation.  It would be a real surprise indeed if the rotor would start up by itself after securing it in a stabile position.  8)

Gyula

Buy me some coffee
Yes, Mark   fixing the hand-held magnet will bring you one step closer to the explanation.  It would be a real surprise indeed if the rotor would start up by itself after securing it in a stabile position.  8)

Gyula
Surprise you say :D
That is an understatement. It would be the worlds first true !all magnet motor!
Then it would be a case of finding out how it actually rotated-what is the force that causes rotation? Maybe the magnetic field arrangement is causing some sort of imbalance in the earths magnetic field that offsets that field to one side of his rotor magnets in some sort of oscillation?.

I bet Mark is flat out now making that magnet holder O0
Make sure you make it out of wood or plastic Mark-you don't want any magnetically active materials next to that rotor.

One of videos I found interesting which might be in line with current topic - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgEjqVFJXzU

Wonder if anyone is familiar with this.

Also one of comments makes to think about it: "Jens Baudisch
I tried it, at first it didn't work because a used very strong magnets, I guess the magnetic field was to great. Then. i tried it with very weak magnets from a magnetic board. After glueing them to the fan i had to take them off a couple of times to find right polarities. But after half an hour it worked. It runs for a couple of days now. "

Buy me some coffee
One of videos I found interesting which might be in line with current topic - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgEjqVFJXzU

Wonder if anyone is familiar with this.

Also one of comments makes to think about it: "Jens Baudisch
I tried it, at first it didn't work because a used very strong magnets, I guess the magnetic field was to great. Then. i tried it with very weak magnets from a magnetic board. After glueing them to the fan i had to take them off a couple of times to find right polarities. But after half an hour it worked. It runs for a couple of days now. "

Im afraid that one is a hoax T-1000,
He stated in the video that the plastic ring confined the magnetic field protuding from the sides of the magnet lol. Plastic has no effect on magnetic fields.

The way he has that setup to work is a consealed battery(button battery) within the fan housing,along with a reed switch that closes as he brings the single larger magnet close to the fan. He then has the two loose battery wires conected to the fan motor before the reed switch,so as the motor fires up when he conects the 9 volt battery.

What is not transparent can be easily faked, I agree.

Just a side note with the comment under that video I found it interesting because of magnetic V Gate ( http://fdp-energy.com/triangle/default.asp ) and Garry effect ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3f8v9bjx7g ) which can be possible when you have much weaker soft magnet near strong magnet.

P.S> The 45 degrees angle is requirement for V gate and holding black color magnet in hand makes possibility he had soft magnet from ferrite material while neodium tablet magnets are on fan.

... .-.. .. -.. . .-.
Wow fellas, thanks for the replies, plus the video links  O0

I got wrapped up in email problems (no Send button showing in Yahoo mail, using Firefox), then a look at fixing the pocket scope, then went about trying to find a lighter rotor. But, did build the thing up with a proper semi-levitated setup and completely forgot to just let it sit there !!!  :-X
It seemed the rotor was too heavy, when I was starting tests with a reed switch.
With it seeming very likely that it was a hand movement, I kinda moved onward.

However, some comments above have cemented thoughts that I should at least get the thing tried out and video'd if only to show it not moving.  

Group: Experimentalist

Buy me a beer

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."
Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

As a general rule, the most successful person in life is the person that has the best information.

Group: Renaissance Man

Buy me a cigar
Dear all.

I had a spare few minutes !!   ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdhGoNsVczE

Also unlisted.

Cheers Graham.

Nanny state ? Left at the gate !! :)

... .-.. .. -.. . .-.
Hehey, thanks Graham, cool little video.
It's all just that side of 'no way will that ever work' that it gets the mind wanting to prove it lol
A positive to this, is that I didn't know you had a YouTube channel, so have Subscribed :)

Here's my proof video below of it being twaddle, though it's brought thoughts of spinning the Earth's natural North attraction force somehow. Vortex creation, natural fields magnetic field shaping by simple means and whatnot.

[youtube]oloLr_nfv7I[/youtube]

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-04-19, 06:50:55