PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-04-18, 02:25:51
News: Registration with the OUR forum is by admin approval.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 35
Author Topic: OUR, window on the world.  (Read 259916 times)

Group: Moderator

Buy me a cigar
Dear Jim.

Lovely photo, just wondering what that strange looking whitish Orange disc is ?? UFO ?   :)

Cheers Grum.

---------------------------
Nanny state ? Left at the gate !! :)

Group: Tinkerer

Lol

Group: Guest
Hi all, and wow that was an intense cyclone, the small town of Yeppoon right on the coast got the brunt at Cat 5 and the eye of the cyclone fairly much connected the dots between Yeppon then Rockhampton at Cat 3 then Here also at Cat 3 it was a bit different for us here on the mountain near Mt Morgan town, by the time the cyclone got here the eye had distorted into a south to north oval and we experienced the full force of the wind just on the edge of the eyewall  for the entire time with no real letup it just got stronger and stronger and at first the winds from the east were only brief before they turned and we got about 1.5 hours of gusts up to seemed like about 180 to 220 Kph then the last 20 minutes or so were very destructive winds must have been over 250 Kph.

Lots of damage, only just got mobile service from the main carrier Telstra. Will be no grid power for maybe a week or more here, no injuries or casualties at all in this cyclone but after the one in NT a child got an electrical burn, 1 injury. Not bad considering the destruction and flooding. I only found 1 injured bird which was a Sulphur Crested Cockatoo, it's branch came down and it's head was flat on top and it was drenched and docile, but I wasn't sure if they naturally have a flat head or not so I put it in a cage and by morning it's feathers were all dry and it screamed at me while climbing the wire so I let it go and it flew off but hung around because it flock is away, seems fine.

I heard there was over 1000 spans of power lines down with trees on them across the entire destruction zone, and we are a small backwater place so we'll be low priority. Some people are falling to pieces because they must throwout their food and don't know what to do, "panicking", but I'll bet most of them have blown the cost of several generators over the past few years. Truckloads of generators are being sold like hotcakes. Even our generator suffered some kind of failure I think due to the horizontal rain. So we had to make do with a 2.2 KVA genny which we had to reclaim back from friends for a couple of days which is not wired up to the house so leads everywhere and didn't get it back till day after, I'm in an outbuilding so I'm just using battery lights and my Android Tablet with a TV dongle, I can watch TV for about 5 Watts. Because the grid tie solar array is out of service my small solar array charging batteries came in very handy first night with no power, the folks up at the house were chuffed when I took a battery and inverter up and turned on the telly for them to watch the news.  ^-^ And to think they often make fun at me for my ways and insistence on having a bunch of big batteries always ready to use. A new 6 KVA genny was fired up today. So we're set again.

We have 35 000 liters of rain water, fresh eggs every day and animals to butcher if we need to but it won't come to that, we need them to keep the bush at bay.

I'll make up a short video of some of the more interesting footage I shot from my patio and side door during the early part of the cyclone, I didn't film the worst of it because it was just too dangerous, we got zero damage to buildings but next door is trashed and lost the roof. My TV antenna didn't even move on my Bunkhouse.
All my goat huts are all still in tact and without damage as well. The electric fence is a mess though. There is so much tree on the ground and it's so damn hot and humid the animals don't go anywhere, if they chose they could just walk away.

We are now Cat 3 cyclone rated at this residence we required no help, pity the infrastructure isn't, even too much rain ruins the show for power and phones.

Looks like the darn thing is heading back up north out to sea, it would not surprise me if it turned around and intensified again after getting some more warm water into it. Not sure when I'll be able to upload the footage everything is on and off and will be for some time.  

Buy me a cigar
Dear All.

Hapus Dewi Sant.

Yes, today is St David's day. The patron saint of Wales.

Attached a view from our front window with most typical British weather!! Jim, can you send that UFO here please? :)

Iechyd da.

Grum.

Buy me some coffee
Dear All.

Hapus Dewi Sant.

Yes, today is St David's day. The patron saint of Wales.

Attached a view from our front window with most typical British weather!! Jim, can you send that UFO here please? :)

Iechyd da.

Grum.

Farmers love that weather.

Electrostatic induction: Put a 1KW charge on 1 plate of a  capacitor. What does the environment do to the 2nd  plate?

Group: Professor

@Grum,

Looks like you need to get your lawnmower out. :o

Smudge

I stitched a short clip of the middle of the cyclone when the winds were not overly destructive. It was too dangerous to film the last 1/2 hour or so when all the real wild action was going on, after the wind died down I went to check my goats and they were already at work clearing the leaves and bark from the tree limbs that came down. Even the old wooden goat shack free standing all on it's own made from timber and tied together with # 8. wire "Cobb and Co." style is undamaged. My nice white car is now motley green stained by bruised and wet leaves stuck to it for four days.

At about 1:50 - 2:00 mins in the clip you can see the tree over in the paddock in the left of screen over the carport roof is bending almost to 90 degrees. On the front porch I was protected from the wind mostly but retreated when the door sucked shut.

Clip of some windy weather Marcia.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6fOH_lMcQDQSlhGQWlDeFVhR3M/view?usp=sharing

Buy me a cigar
Dear All.

Well it's been a while since we lost our 14 year old Collie Charley but times a great healer!

I'd like you all to meet " Roo " ( Rupert ) an 8 week old German Shepard dog.

Here's to, I hope, another 10 years of fun with the family.  O0

Cheers Grum.

Group: Ambassador

Grum
Very hard to not smile at a Puppy....
there is sooo much going on in that little brain 

Tis a handsome beast   O0

Group: Professor

That name befits him.  He is so serious !

Dear All.

Well it's been a while since we lost our 14 year old Collie Charley but times a great healer!

Here's to, I hope, another 10 years of fun with the family.  O0

Cheers Grum.

PeeWee says hello.

Soon you'll be spending hours playing with him.  Hopefully I'll get to see it on Skype.

Hey Grumage

I have a couple border collies Mishka and Milo... best dogs one could ever hope to have. They are on anything that crosses our fence line one behind the other and are very protective. On the other hand they are the most docile dogs I have had and while they may bark they have absolutely no aggressive tendencies. In fact many times I find the cats sleeping next to or even on top of the dogs. This a strange one as well, when the cats had kittens whenever a kitten strayed from the barn the dogs would pick them up by the scruff of the neck like a cat would and carry them to the front step then bark a few times. In the one picture I have a not bad hay crop and the dogs are out there keeping an eye on things, lol.

AC

Comprehend and Copy Nature... Viktor Schauberger

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”― Richard P. Feynman

AC, you reminded me of something I wanted to ask you.  Have you taken a look at this presentation?

http://www.checktheevidence.com/WBSmith/

The best items are in the audio links.  I really like listening to what he has to say and the ways he says it.  It gets me thinking and last I checked, that was a still a good thing.

Buy me a cigar
Dear All.

Another generation, playing in the orchard. :)

Grandson Sam, Roo and T.

Cheers Grum.

Has anyone heard anything from or about Groundloop?

:(

I did just send him an Email.
I hope he's doing well.[asked him to let us know]

Chet

Buy me a cigar
Has anyone heard anything from or about Groundloop?

:(

Dear TK.

Good point!! For myself the adage " no news is good news " springs to mind. Perhaps Chet has a contact number?

It's fast approaching 12 years since my own episode, lowering the " life stress " is key to success.

Cheers Grum.

Oops, crossed post!! :)

Buy me a cigar
Rooston, we have lift up!!

Looking all alert at 13 weeks.

Cheers Grum.

Roo is getting big ,a handsome beast indeed  O0

regarding Groundloop I have not gotten a response from his personal Email acc't ??
anyone have contact ??

thx
Chet

Rooston, we have lift up!!

Looking all alert at 13 weeks.

Cheers Grum.

O0

I miss his floppy ears already.   :)  Still got those big warm feet though.   ;)

I did just send him an Email.
I hope he's doing well.[asked him to let us know]

Chet

Is there any news of Groundloop?

Roo is getting big ,a handsome beast indeed  O0

regarding Groundloop I have not gotten a response from his personal Email acc't ??
anyone have contact ??

thx
Chet

Oh... that doesn't sound too good. I really hope he's OK and just on vacation or something. It would be good to hear from him.

Just sent another Email
I will start looking much harder next week

Chet

Group: Administrator

Buy me some coffee
I would not bother him too much for now, he probably has a lot on his mind, i am sure we will hear some news at some point.
All we can do right now is wish him a good recovery and hope he is on the mend.

Peter
It would not be that kind of bother or personal contact, ...
the recent passing of Mark E has frazzled me a bit and given Pause to
how we should act or treat each other in these mostly anonymous places.
and how would we ever know if someone passed on ??

as you are aware Groundloop stands out here and elsewhere with his contributions
and Kind heart, I truly have great affection for him and his work [as I am sure many here do].

to be clear It would just be a Closer "look" in places I don't even want to think about,  never mind actually going thru the Process.

respectfully

Chet

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 35
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-04-18, 02:25:51