PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-03-29, 11:04:58
News: Registration with the OUR forum is by admin approval.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 35
Author Topic: OUR, window on the world.  (Read 256647 times)
Group: Guest
Good account muDped.  Now tell Farmhand about Cracker Jacks.   :)

Group: Professor

Everyman decries immorality
My avatar photo is with my Flat Hat.
No avatar showing on my screen, maybe you need to upload it ?

---------------------------
Everyman Standing Order 01: In the Face of Tyranny; Everybody Stands, Nobody Runs.
Everyman Standing Order 02: Everyman is Responsible for Energy and Security.
Everyman Standing Order 03: Everyman knows Timing is Critical in any Movement.

Group: Tinkerer

Quote from: evolvingape
No avatar showing on my screen, maybe you need to upload it ?

Ah yes, perhaps so.  It may have gotten lost in the
transition.  I'm not sure which computer its on at the
moment - one of my older clunkers which I haven't
used for a while I suppose.  I'll put it back up when I
succeed in locating it...

For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open.

Quote from: Matt Watts
Good account muDped.  Now tell Farmhand about Cracker Jacks.   :)

Oh, that would be good.  A great Sea Story. 8)

Please have a go at it shipmate - I'd like to hear your account too. ;) O0

For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open.

Everyman decries immorality
I'll put it back up when I
succeed in locating it...
Mission accomplished!

Everyman Standing Order 01: In the Face of Tyranny; Everybody Stands, Nobody Runs.
Everyman Standing Order 02: Everyman is Responsible for Energy and Security.
Everyman Standing Order 03: Everyman knows Timing is Critical in any Movement.

Unfortunately I'll be even more pressed for time and money, I had a major road accident today and it seems it was my fault. Blackout from lack of sleep, and long drives alone. Must have been one of those micro sleeps because I remember nothing but a face full of air bag then a face full of steering wheel when the car hit the embankment after the collision. For the last two weeks I've had about 2 1/2 hours sleep per night due to of course not being able to sleep in a lot of discomfort due to all the driving. I apparently left my side of the road on a left hand bend (in Aus that means the other traffic is on the outer lane of the bend, I went kinda straight ahead and the other car could not avoid me without leaving the road himself. Luckily we are both ok since we were both driving commodores and he managed not to take me head on just missed the front, but I took his wheel off and destroyed his door and the entire side of his car, my car tehe front right wheel got folded under the car, not so bad, no passengers, thank the heavens for no serious injuries. My insurance should cover it but I am taking prescription drugs so if they decide the level was too high then I get no insurance and must pay for his car as well, both are write off's. I must have just blacked out because I don't remember feeling drowsy or anything. I'm thinking a zone out from severe lack of sleep. I should not have been driving but it was paying up day for the new residence. And I felt ok. Anyway my neck is a bit sore but i couldn't take the hospital BS and just left, They were planning on taking forever, but I've hurt my neck much worse at home then go to the hospital and they don't want to help me.

The witness behind said a white four wheel drive forced me off the road, but the other driver denies seeing one. I remember nothing from about 1 klm back down the road so the airbag cover did a job on my forehead, the nurse said one pupil is bigger than the other, and I said oh well I've had that before, I know it means probable/possible brain damage. And it is bigger but only by about 1 mm in diameter total. I'll be fine I've seen one pupil almost twice the size of the other after a bad head knock. I got better. My main issue is to try to get the guys car fixed/replaced and find out his condition, then try to work out or contact the witness following him, she even said the 4 Wheel drive just kept going. Maybe not my fault, but still I feel as though I will have to wear it regardless. I don't remember any white four wheel drive but I don't remember the 1 klm before that collision either. Cop said he would come to interview me later some time. tomorrow I guess he'll call me.

Funny thing, I sign the house contract and get the keys tomorrow on Friday the 13th. Maybe I got possessed, the guy said it looked like I was after him. lol. I'll need to ring the cops to get his details for insurance.

OH well all are safe enough, so I cannot be too worried about it. worry won't help.

Now I'll be living in town I won't drive unless they can control my pain without the heavy drugs and help me get more than 2 hours sleep, even at 0.2 BAC I cannot sleep hardly at all.

My poor car, 2001 model 14 years old and only 90 000 klm on the clock. I bet his had about 300.000 for a 2005 model.

Group: Ambassador

Its only Iron
thank God no one was seriously hurt or killed.

do they test sleep apnea in your country?, you just described a very big symptom [nodding off in milliseconds]
as well as sleeplessness .

google it if not, the fix is under a hundred bucs ,air pump thingy on EBay or similar, you can even get them for free in the right cases

No it's chronic pain is why I can't sleep, it led to the arguments that caused me to have to leave the farm, no one believes it because I am not a sook and I can only vocalise the issues, I still stand up straight with my lower back in bad pain because I don't want to seem as though I want Pity, but some empathy from the people around me would go a long way, I accept responsibility for my part whatever that may be when I find out but, but no one else will accept any part in the lead up causes. The severe lack of sleep was due me having to drive 35 klm each way every day for almost 2 weeks with only 2 hours sleep per night after the first day of driving, however I really had no choice as once started the process of trying to secure a residence that is suitable for me is constant, if there is something I need to do in town tomorrow then I need to do it.

For instance, I have to ask for a lift that takes about 2 hours of someone's time or walk 5 k's to catch the bus to rocky so I can sign the contract and get the keys to the new residence, I doubt I would get 5 klms first thing in the morning before my legs gave out from my lower back disc collapse. Still after the accident and taking a full compliment of pain and muscle relaxant medication, I got about 3 hours 20 minutes sleep. Just two more weeks of moving and I can have a rest. But today it's 3:30 am, I have to wait 4 or 5 hours just for everyone else to wake up.
Once I'm in town I can get a friend to help me with the first few trips of moving stuff. I simply should not have driven more than one or two days per week, but then I would never get place. I don't like second guessing past finding out what actually happened, an event happened, the people involved need to deal with it and then move on. Could take a while to deal with, but I'll be posting from my new address tomorrow so life goes on.

I'm not superstitious but the move in date (Friday the 13th) and the fact that the other car had a 666 number plate seems like an odd coincidence.

Modern cars are fairly safe if they hit another modern car or a flattish surface. I went back to the scene, and I think he might have crossed to my side of the road. Hugging the bend. No way I can argue anything with no memory of it. Cop's should sort it out.

Could be worse at least I'm not stuck in Iraq or Syria ect. But if the insurance won't pay I'll be out 20 000 at the least.

Such is Life.

Mission accomplished!

Many thanks Podnah!! :)

How were you able to do it?

Quote from: FarmHand
Such is Life.

Aye, that it is!  Many of us have recently been overcome by
un-anticipated difficulties which are a heavy burden.

The "numbers" in your case give one pause for thought...

Insurance claim is lodged. I feel bad for the guy, he has a job but he has no insurance for the car, his car was a 2008 VE SS Ute (a special model Holden), I haven't looked at the book values yet but mine is insured for 5000, I doubt i can replace it considering the very low klms I had on the clock only 90 000 klms travelled. His car being a special model may not be replaceable so he would likely get book value or an over estimate if customised.

My air bag actually ruptured and released the contents, no one can tell me if that is normal or not, another search I guess.

I have dash cam footage of the event, it's kinda shocking, he had no way of knowing there was a problem until I began to cross the lines, then he tried to avoid me but had no time or space to do it. Basically I drove into him like a train.

I think my hands must have even dropped of the steering wheel because I have a neat bruise on each arm about 2 inches back from my thumbs and my thumbs are not sore I always drive with both hands and I lay my thumbs on top of the steering wheel "spoke" if you can call it that, so I should have sore thumbs if my hands were on the wheel. I claim total blackout and my hands dropped of the steering wheel, then on impact they would have swung forward and hit the steering wheel on the bottom quadrants of the wheel, hence the bruises on the tops of my arms back from my thumbs.

He is ok, and I am glad that the main impact was taken in the front corners of the cars, by trying to avoid me he actually took the risk of me hitting his door and him, he says it seemed like I was accelerating. WOW.

I don't even remember seeing any cars coming in the other direction the impact or anything, I originally thought I could not remember back 1 klm but that was to the previous concrete culvert, as it turns out I remember going into the culvert (that's it end of memory until stopped after collision) however I then travelled about 300 or 400 meters directly in a straight line until impact, and I remember none of that at all. I rang the police and offered the cam footage as well as I want to show them my arm bruises. My dash cam footage might make it onto an add for road safety.

Thanks be to the heavens. The car behind him had children in it, and that would have devastated me, people would definitely have been hurt if I had hit the next car following him.

Yep looks like some airbags do release some of the contents. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Av0WGrlTGY

Here is the cam footage showing how lucky he and I was, ( he kinda broke my fall as it were ) - Front camera  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6fOH_lMcQDQNmlQRnZmV3JPSHM/view?usp=sharing

Rear camera had to edit due to witnesses rego number - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6fOH_lMcQDQYkFaZ1dsWi10b2M/view?usp=sharing

P.S. My car worth almost $10 000, his car worth about $20 000, 30 grand plus down the tube, I'm upset because I ruined two good Holdens.  :'( Don't make em any more. Or soon won't be.
« Last Edit: 2015-11-14, 07:40:17 by Farmhand »

Group: Ambassador

sleep deprivation can cause this , the lack of REM sleep causes these types of black outs, whether your not sleeping due to Pain or sleep apnea[which you have no idea if you have it]
Sleep Apnea can kill you due to the interruptions it causes in the sleep cycle, My Dad was diagnosed with a bad heart Valve 5 years ago[at 75] ,they checked him for sleep apnea and found he had sleep Apnea ,put him on the Machine at night [simple breathing thingy I mentioned] and Now he no longer has any heart valve symptoms.
your Body fixes all this stuff at night when you get the appropriate sleep, when you don't ??
not good !!

I know allot about pain Myself ,having been struck By a Drunk driver as a kid I have spent a lifetime in Pain, there are other ways to manage it besides pain killers [ which may interrupt REM sleep too].

perhaps this incident will lead to a solution for your sleeplessness ?
I agree it is torture to have no good rest at night.

and to be clear I did want to share this info on Apnea ..because I personally had no idea how devastating it could be [to the heart and other organs] ,and your experience is a symptom [instant blackouts] as well as unusual and unexplainable fatigue .

respectfully
Chet
Ps
Only you rear view camera link worked for me ,very scary indeed how fast you blacked out,.

For some reason that video is still processing you can download the clip and it plays fine. The camera records in MJPEG so I transcoded them to H264 MP4, I'll try uploading a different format for that clip.

I hear ya chet the reason for me moving to town mainly is so I can access medical services, I understand about the sleep apnea but I'm talking about acute serious pain but it's not always mind and body bending pain, however when it is I go into shock without some kind of pain killers, if I go to the hospital they pump me full of it and send me home tell me to go to the GP and get some pain pills so that I don't end up at the emergency dept. in pain shock. Very difficult situation for me to deal with as all the medico's are all full of advice but if something goes wrong I am responsible. I'm not one of them I accept responsibility for my actions whatever the consequences may be.

To get the medical sevices I need I have to move to the city, to move to the city I need to drive in to the city everyday for as long as it takes to get the job done, driving is what causes me to get serious pain later that night, and I'm talking I feel like I should call an ambulance type pain. I'm no sook, as long as I don't go into shock or close to it I can deal with the pain and others would hardly know, except if I go too long it takes longer to recover and I risk the pain shock thing, by that stage the pain is so great it is sickening. The pills stop the pain from hurting but I can still feel the problem and often that is a very sickening feeling in itself.

I got the scan and it looks like the fusion let go a while back and there is some bone growth towards my throat, which explains why it is difficult to swallow again. Just can't help bad luck.

P.S. For some reason the front camera clip won't "hyperlink' automatically, so just copy and paste the URL to a new tab seems to work. .
« Last Edit: 2015-11-14, 07:44:07 by Farmhand »

Geez FH take care mate. If you didn't live in QLD I'd suggest growing some pain relieving herbs.
Here's what I got up to on Thurs night. Thought some of you would find this amusing.
http://switzer.com.au/video/jim-stewart-20151112

Haha, furniture and wiring is temporary but the entertainment wall is functioning at about 75% so far.

The Birds in the city are bold, the Willy Wag Tail birds up on the mountain would never come this close to a person, but they do ride on the goats and other animals and attack the cats up there, but in the city they seem to decide if an area is safe and just take risks. I like to watch the Wag Tails they are cool birds.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6fOH_lMcQDQR1hjTHBlMThLYlU/view?usp=sharing

Ahh, Farmhand... take care of yourself and don't push it. It's probably for the best that you do retire from the strenuous farm work. The farm chores have to be done, the animals can't be neglected, but it's better now that someone else takes over the duty.
You sound like you are in pretty good spirits nevertheless, and I'm sure your little Jack appreciates your love and returns it. Hang in there mate, you do good work and we are all pulling for you in spirit anyway, fwiw.
Cheers--
--TK

(And hoist a glass of that rheumatism remedy for me, I have aches and pains too!)
My bold.

I hoisted a few for ya on the weekend, the bottle on the left holds the spirit as it comes out of the little charred Oak barrel at 75 to 80% ABV the other two bottles are the result of mixing 50-50 with distilled water to get a spirit of between 37.5 and 40 % ABV, it certainly looks the part and tastes really nice, like sweet Jack Daniels. It was a part molasses brew so that would explain the sweetness and the barrel gives the spirit some vanillas and caramels as well, I like it, it is smoother than stuff from the pub and I do not get a hangover from it. It is triple distilled, and before the last distillation I did use some Bi-carb soda to convert some acetic acids if there was any left. It seems to have worked.

A funny thing happens when I mix the distilled water with the 160 proof spirit, very small bubbles form and the entire bottle gets a bit warm, then after about 10 minutes the contents is normal and behaves as it should when shaken up. I thought i was imagining it at first but it is happening.
If ya have a "Sip/nip" of the stuff on the left then within about 3 to 5 minutes = no Rheumatism bingo, umm two and no face feels like for a bit. lol. I use the stuff on the right with coke normally 90 ml to 410 ml of coke and ice works.  O0 A can of coke is 375 ml. I use 500 ml Jars for glasses because I am poor.

All the color and most of the flavor comes from the 1 month in the barrel, the ambient temp is up to 35 or more centigrade during the day and the barrel sometimes exudes a thick sweet bourbon smelling liquid from the stopper and the tap if the stopper is too tight. Works out to about $3.00 per 700 ml bottle much better than $30.00 for Cougar which is cheap stuff anyway, mine is better, more like Jack Daniels with hint of Southern Comfort or similar. Another trick that I did not use but works for a smoothing agent for neutral spirit or "Vodka" is adding a tad of Glycerine (for cooking from the supermarket- Not Nitro  ;D ) to the bottled end product. I have not tried that yet and not sure if would I want to add anything to a good neutral spirit but the commercial guys do.

All Strictly for Medicinal use only of course. And it works for several ailments including insomnia and digestive issues as well it thins the blood, in the mid morning is the danger time for blood pressure type events. And a shot the night before bed may help keep the blood thin enough to prevent some issues, much like how asprin is used. I took great care to make the medicinal spirit as pure as I could with triple distillation and cutting out the "heads" and "Tails" harshly so as to only collect the best of the distillate at at least 160 proof, so as to get good results from the American White Oak barrel Charred inside all proper and the barrel is also baked beforehand I'm told, to ready the wood. They did a good job it works wonderfully even in a hot climate, maybe the hot climate helps to "age" or "condition" the spirit quicker in the small barrel. Small barrel = more barrel surface area per liter as well. Bigger barrels the liquid has less contact with the wood ect.

Barrel is refilled immediately of course with more of the same input. Ready for Xmas.  >:-) No Pain Xmas Day for me.
At 75 to 80 % the spirit can be used as fuel in a spirit burner.
« Last Edit: 2015-11-25, 05:10:36 by Farmhand »

Your "lesson" on barrels and their use is very
informative FarmHand!  Although I've made
my fair share of spirit by fermentation I've never
yet aged any in one of those barrels.  I must one
day give it a try.

Something tells me it might be a very, very
useful skill to possess if and when the "collapse"
comes upon us...

Scroll down to the bottom of the page to see an
interesting video which shows how the barrels are
made.

Getting the char done is quite a skill too.

It is an amazing thing to see happening the changes in the spirit as it "reacts" with the wood. Of course ethanol is a powerful solvent and so if the distillate is higher proof then the flavors are different slightly, depending on the "proof" of the distillate decides a fair bit the final flavor, and of course the period the spirit stays in the barrel and how often it is turned and the ambient temp as well as the temp differentials all play a part. One thing is for sure the ethanol and the wood combining do most to impart the flavor.

Not sure if I showed the barrel but anyway here you can see the thick almost black liquid being forced from the barrel around the stopper, there the ethanol has direct access to the grain of the timber as well. The stopper has a leather seal around it. They are expensive for the small ones but get cheaper per liter as the size goes up, I think if I can get a 5 liter barrel as well I will be really happy because I could age more spirit for a longer period, 5 Liters sounds just right for me. They only work for a certain amount of refills I guess.

I suppose if I don't clean it off or put it back inside the barrel I run the risk of the liquid setting into a hard or very sticky state. It's a cute little thing, a piece of artwork from the makers, i congratulate them.
They come with Steel hoops like I got or brass hoops, also they can be varnished outside or unvarnished, I chose unvarnished for the traditional aspect of it, didn't want a varnished barrel. Might get brass hoops on the next one.

Quite right muDped, it is a very useful skill, and I will be teaching my son all the necessary steps when he comes to stay in January. Right from brewing with bakers yeast to distillation and conditioning the spirit. I have written down for him the ingredients and method of fermenting so far as I do it. Maybe too much to teach so I need to write down the finer points as I do it like acid levels in the ferment ect. and what to do about it. There are a few sites that help a lot with "Home Distillation of Alcohol". I believe the bi-Carb soda trick comes from an old homesteading handbook.

Here is most of my new allotment of workable ground. Due to "Aspect" There is a small area along the left wall that should get enough sun in winter time to grow tomatoes or some appropriate veggies. I guess I could use about half of it in summer if I needed to. I'll probably make at least one big L shaped raised bed around the left and back fence. Gotta produce something.  O0

Here is most of my new allotment of workable ground.
I want to see the rooster!

No Roosters allowed in town, I had to put my old Rooster down not long before I moved, I think he blew a valve or got a snake bite or something he was unable to crow and seemed in great pain so I set him free from his body. And my allotment is too small in Square meters to keep chickens, but I might try to keep three of my Layer chooks as soon as I can get the small Dog cage/ chicken coop down here from the mountain. There is a perfect spot for the coop in a corner under a mango tree where there is shade all day in summer. It will all depend on the neighbors, if they complain I'll have to take the chooks back to the mountain, If they don't complain they might get some free yummy eggs. I'll have to get quiet ones so that means no black chooks which is a shame they perform very well and live longer.

If I get little chicks or incubate some eggs and raise the chickens from little chicks to chooks then the neighbors might get used to them better than if I just bring some full grown chickens here and they start to cluck and lay eggs there will be a sudden change in the usual noises so people will notice. I'll probably buy four chicks. At least here I can set up an auto feeder and water nipples for ease of caring for them and to keep rodents from eating the chickens feed, open chook feed containers at night attract rodents and the rodents attract snakes, but try to tell that to some people and you get accused of being a smart arse and people infer that I am calling them stupid, (which I probably am in a way if they cannot see the sense of it). it is what it is I guess.  >:(

Group: Moderator

Buy me a cigar
Its a bit quiet at the moment isn't it?

I thought I'd write loudly!!   ;)

Well one of my videos has now passed the 200,000 mark despite any mention of free etc.

I tried out TK's suggestion with another, all capital letters and the words secret, free, perpetual etc. That's now running at 33,000 + hits with some great comments. But some folks just don't get it, why don't they read and digest the introduction before commenting?

As a final note my wife and I would like to wish all at OUR a great holiday, we celebrate the 21 st of December these days, the grandchildren love it, two Christmases!! :D

All the very best, Grum.  O0

Nanny state ? Left at the gate !! :)

Group: Experimentalist

Its a bit quiet at the moment isn't it?

I thought I'd write loudly!!   ;)

Well one of my videos has now passed the 200,000 mark despite any mention of free etc.

I tried out TK's suggestion with another, all capital letters and the words secret, free, perpetual etc. That's now running at 33,000 + hits with some great comments. But some folks just don't get it, why don't they read and digest the introduction before commenting?

As a final note my wife and I would like to wish all at OUR a great holiday, we celebrate the 21 st of December these days, the grandchildren love it, two Christmases!! :D

All the very best, Grum.  O0

Dear Grumage,
Thank you for the holiday wishes and I also wish a Merry Christmas to you and all the Christians here, and a Happy Hanukkah to the Jewish people!

I do hope you are making a buck or two on your videos, It's not a bad thing, everyone needs to eat and a place to sleep. O0

Peace on Earth
Cheers
Room3327

"Whatever our resources of primary energy may be in the future, we must, to be rational, obtain it without consumption of any material"  Nicola Tesla

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."  Edmund Burke

Group: Moderator

Buy me a cigar

Dear Grumage,

I do hope you are making a buck or two on your videos, It's not a bad thing, everyone needs to eat and a place to sleep. O0

Peace on Earth
Cheers
Room3327

Dear Room3327.

Sadly, not a bean!!

In the interest of anonymity I created a kind of bogus account. Not to worry, it was never my intention, just a platform to share my findings with other like minded people.

Happy winter solstice, Grum.

Nanny state ? Left at the gate !! :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 35
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-03-29, 11:04:58