PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-04-19, 04:13:20
News: Registration with the OUR forum is by admin approval.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 35
Author Topic: OUR, window on the world.  (Read 260104 times)

Group: Moderator

Buy me a cigar
Dear All.

I opened this thread 10 months ago with a picture of Snowdrops in bloom, far earlier than usual.

How about this then?

Crazy weather we haven't even had a decent frost yet.

Happy new year, Grum.

---------------------------
Nanny state ? Left at the gate !! :)

Group: Experimentalist

Buy me a beer
Hi Grum

Yes the climate change is getting faster all over the world, what with over 100 forest fires here, huge floods in the UK and south America along with tornados never seen before, also in Asia

Doom is coming

regards

Mike 8)

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."
Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

As a general rule, the most successful person in life is the person that has the best information.

Buy me a cigar
Dear All.

Our local weather has changed little over the last couple of weeks, wet and windy. My heart goes out to you fellows across the pond.

So mild they are in bloom!!

Cheers Grum.

Buy me a cigar
Hapus Dewi Sant.

Yes, it's St David's day today, patron saint of Wales.

Years ago the Daffodil, our emblem was always late, not this year, the gardens looking really colourful.

Cheers Grum.

Group: Elite Experimentalist

All,

since i in july this year shot a video of an Eagle Owl (rare sighting over here) sitting on a roof nearby and showed it to my wife, she is all into bird watching.
So we go out on an almost daily base to view and record special animals / birds that freely live in the coastal dune/forrest area on 5 minutes walk away from my house.

Here a collection of video's giving an impression of what we have seen up till now.
Shots where mostly taken from a birdwatching cabin which are setup on severall places (and could be crowded/noisy).

I try to put up the English names for the animals / birds we have spotted,  enjoy.

Eagle owl:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=603JmCHk3ok

Highlander cows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3ATb6SFGQs

Eared grebe on eggs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbFOYBzzbDA       (eggs never hatched, a buzzard watching in the background)

Fox:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz9Mi1A7Dtw

Another pair of Eared grebe with chicks:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEGQvqHA2lY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjbiwHVsHMU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x6YZDOXL4s

redshank:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdbW1IkwPQI

Wild horses taking a bath:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elnoa7oSSDI

Black stork: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXf4S-eig_M

cormorant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFldFDhUYus

kingfisher: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEfd-rHaH1Y

Regards Itsu

Group: Ambassador

itsu
thank you for posting the Vids...
taking time in life to smell the flowers and see the world around us is always a delight .

I too luv the birds .

That big Owl is a handsome beast and definitely one to keep an eye on...especially if you have small cats and dogs within his view  :o

Thanks,

Chet K

Buy me a cigar
Dear Itsu.

Lovely..... What a sight!

I had an experience with an Owl a few years back.

Spring had sprung and the birds and bees were doing what comes naturally.... One very dark night the Owls were calling to each other whilst I was locking up. I decided to call back... Immediately there was a response, called again, the response grew louder. Called again and got my hair ruffled by a couple of what felt like very large talons. Moral...

Don't ruffle the feathers of a courting Owl...   :)

Cheers Grum.

Thanks guys, 

nice story Grum, 2 years ago we had an Eagle owl in a nearby city who attacked people all the time for months like you mentioned, so they called him "terror owl" because you don't see or hear him coming.
They finally caught him (normally forbidden as its a protected bird) and he now lives his life in a zoo.
Funny birds   :D

Itsu

Group: Guest
Wow just had a 5.7 Mag Earthquake about 400 K's north of here and I felt it. First time I've ever felt an Earthquake. Funny thing is within about 5 seconds I realised what it was and was ready to vacate the house. No reports of any damage as yet from near it's center.

Buy me a cigar
Dear Farmhand.

I have to agree, an earthquake is rather frightening.

My only experience, to date was a 6.something whilst on holiday in Kephalonia. The epicentre was on the neighbouring island of Zakinthos. My wife and I were in bed at the time...... The earth truly moved!!  ;)

Kephalonia was hit by a devastating earthquake in 1953 that destroyed many beautiful buildings. They adopted a policy of solid reinforced concrete structures that move as a whole. I have to say that although our apartment shook violently it stayed in one piece.

I missed the only big one here in the UK, 1988, if memory serves me correctly. My first wife was nursing one of the children as the lounge floor appeared to roll like a wave from one end to the other. I was driving to work when it happened, didn't notice a thing.

Cheers Grum.

Believing in something false doesn't make it true.
Hi Farmhand,

It's been a while since I have exchanged posts with you.

I also can only remember feeling an earthquake one time.   I think it was back in the early 70's.  I was at my Dad's house sitting on the couch talking to Dad.  He was in his recliner chair.  All of a sudden I felt the couch (I guess that would be sofa in some parts of the world) start to move just like Grum has described.  I felt like I was in a boat as it seemed to rise on one end and then that end started down as the other end started up and then it went down.  Very strange feeling.  Dad and I both at the same time said "What was that?"  We came to the conclusion it must have been an earthquake so we turned on the TV and found out in a little while there had been an earthquake about 200 miles to the west of us.  Fortunately it was relatively small and only caused minor damage like chimneys collapsing and stuff falling off the walls in the area closest to the quake.

Take care,
Carroll

Just because it is on YouTube does not make it real.

Earthquakes make me think of Groundloop ,He was working on that early detection project [I believe WW was also involved ?] .
Will have to reach out this weekend and see  how he's doing .

@ FarmHand
Glad your OK ,areas not prone to quakes are much more susceptible to structural issues with their infrastructure.

Group: Guest
Still some aftershocks but It's too far away to feel them I guess. Mag 3 aftershocks or something. My house is an old high block house on wooden stumps it shakes when a heavy truck goes past haha, which is probably why I felt it so well from so far away. Others here in Rockhampton did feel it but not too many.

What got me was the frequency of the wobble in the house, when a truck goes past it kind of shakes and wobbles but at a higher frequency than the slow rhythmic wave like feeling of the Quake, quite different and the street was quiet. Only really one cause left and my mind naturally went to that, earthquake "get to the door". lol

I'll bet the folks only 30 k's from it were a bit rattled by it. Still appears to be very little damage, some broken cups and stuff fell off shelves ect. Kinda makes sense because any structure from here north can and has stood up to cyclones, the newer buildings are made to withstand cyclones, although the cyclones do take/damage a lot of roofs.

With all the floods, fires and cyclones home insurance is almost unaffordable for many.

Anyway my thoughts are going to the unfortunate folks dealing with the fires in Cali. They look horrific.

Buy me a beer
The climate change is increasing each year, here in Spain we have passed all records since records began. The forest fires here are horrific as well, and of course the less forest the less the rain in that part of the world, it falls more in other parts creating huge flooding, from heating up the ocean and evapourating, only to fall in an area which has plenty of water, hence the floods.

The swings are terrific and the seasons have shifted it seems by around a month.

Farmhand, the quake could have been caused by fracking for methane, I think there is a lot going on in the Aus at the moment, it caused similar here, around 5.7 in Castellon, the fracking off shore was stopped.

Regards

Mike 8)

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."

As a general rule, the most successful person in life is the person that has the best information.

Buy me a cigar
Dear Mike....... Sigh......

Why, oh why can't the so called leaders of our nations get their act together.

Fracking is destructive and uses many toxic chemicals during the process which contaminate the surrounding area. And as you've pointed out destabilise the ground causing mini quakes.

Here in the UK there's a sudden realisation that we haven't got new power stations being built, to replace the now ageing ones in use. We have a surplus of solar, so much that we can't store it.

Your idea of a plant that converts sea water into a hydrocarbon fuel that could be burned at night is surely a win, win ?

There will be those that suggest it's not very efficient, but as far as I'm concerned it's a damned sight more environmentally friendly.

Time to lobby our local MP, methinks.

Cheers Grum.

Buy me a beer
We have a surplus of solar, so much that we can't store it.

Your idea of a plant that converts sea water into a hydrocarbon fuel that could be burned at night is surely a win, win ?

There will be those that suggest it's not very efficient, but as far as I'm concerned it's a damned sight more environmentally friendly.

Time to lobby our local MP, methinks.

Cheers Grum.

Who's the north Wales representative for parliment now?

The change of hydrogen and carbon to a hydrocarbon is very efficient, it is exothermic, the problem has been to get the hydrogen from water cheaply enough. Excess power is if you think about it, free, use it or throw it away, like pouring milk down the drain because the farmers produce too much C.C

Methane or ethanol or both is a great storage means, there is enough CO2 in the oceans, this would recycle it, as the US navy have found

Set me up for a talk, I'm free in your neck of the woods 5th till 8th september inc: ;) :) maybe the gov: would buy us lunch hmmmmm....

Regards

Mike 8)

Group: Tinkerer

I'll be performing in Vegas next week... well speaking at a conference anyway, then off to MX & Cuba. Any recommendations to drop in at stuff or catch up with ppl if anyone is around?

Buy me a beer
I'll be performing in Vegas next week... well speaking at a conference anyway, then off to MX & Cuba. Any recommendations to drop in at stuff or catch up with ppl if anyone is around?

Hi Jim

We need your expertise to raise some money for our methane project, give me a bell on skype and we can talk about it :)

Regards

Mike 8)

Group: Tinkerer

Hi Jim

We need your expertise to raise some money for our methane project, give me a bell on skype and we can talk about it :)

Regards

Mike 8)

No worries . might be difficult next couple of weeks. Do you have a site yet?

Buy me a beer
No worries . might be difficult next couple of weeks. Do you have a site yet?

Hi Jim

I have this old site which I have not used in a long time (updated)

www.centraflow.yolasite.com

I suppose with it being old (years) it is well marked on Google, or could set up a new one! It is a free site but works well and now there is a lot more with these sites.

If a new site is required, then the name could be centraflow systems (an old company of mine). There are going to be several people involved with this, all are on this forum, and any money raised should be controlled by a another.

Let me know about site and I can make changes or start a new one.

Regards

Mike 8)

Buy me a cigar
Dear All.

Things are getting pretty hectic in the " Grumage " home, so.....

May I wish all members and guests at OUR, in my native tongue....

Nadolig llawen a blwyddyn newydd dda   O0

Cheers Graham.

Thanks for those nice words Graham  :D, off course the same to you and your family  O0

This goes for all of you:

Merry Christmas and a happy new year!

Itsu
« Last Edit: 2016-12-21, 22:02:43 by Itsu »

Group: Administrator

Buy me some coffee
Merry Christmas to everyone who celebrates it.  O0

Buy me a beer
Bon noel y feliz ano neuvo  from rainy Spain=-O

Regards

Mike B-)

O0

what An amazing group of fellows ,

would seem the new year's gonna be a doosie

Chet K

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 35
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-04-19, 04:13:20