PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-04-18, 22:32:54
News: A feature is available which provides a place all members can chat, either publicly or privately.
There is also a "Shout" feature on each page. Only available to members.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 35
Author Topic: OUR, window on the world.  (Read 260067 times)

Group: Moderator

Buy me a cigar
Bon noel y feliz ano neuvo  from rainy Spain=-O

Regards

Mike B-)

Hi Mike.

I guessed the sentiment....   ;)  Google translate suggests Finnish ??   :D  Doesn't the rain " stay mainly on the plain " ??  More fuel..........  ;)

For Itsu.

Vrolijk kerstfeest en een gelukkig nieuw jaar      O0

Thanks Chet.... Happy holidays.   O0

Cheers Graham.

---------------------------
Nanny state ? Left at the gate !! :)

Group: Experimentalist

Believing in something false doesn't make it true.
Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all!

Carroll

Just because it is on YouTube does not make it real.

Buy me a beer
Hi Mike.

I guessed the sentiment....   ;)  Google translate suggests Finnish ??   :D  Doesn't the rain " stay mainly on the plain " ??  More fuel..........  ;)

For Itsu.

Vrolijk kerstfeest en een gelukkig nieuw jaar      O0

Thanks Chet.... Happy holidays.   O0

Cheers Graham.

Well you know Google ;D It's Valenciano/Catalan

Regards

Mike 8)
« Last Edit: 2016-12-23, 18:27:08 by Centraflow »

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."
Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

As a general rule, the most successful person in life is the person that has the best information.

Group: Professor

I'll be away from home and computer over Christmas so The Seasons Greetings to you all.  I'll be back in the New Year.

Smudge

Buy me a beer
Well I'm away from this afternoon, going to see the new year in at our apartment by the sea.

I want to wish all here on this forum a very happy and prosperous new year, I hope what ever problems people have had will be left behind in 2016, and that 2017 will be happy and prosperous for all.

Lets all hope that the waring and destruction will stop once and for all, that's a bold wish, but lets hope it happens.

Happy 2017

regards

Mike 8)

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."

As a general rule, the most successful person in life is the person that has the best information.

Buy me a cigar
Thanks Mike.

I too would like to wish all a peaceful new year.  O0

Kind regards, Graham.

Buy me a cigar
Dear All.

I received this video today.

https://youtu.be/mxTpAofqbmE

A couple of " Flame gulpers " of my design and built from castings that I produced.

More grimy contraptions, eh Verpies !!   ;)

Kind regards, Graham.

More grimy contraptions, eh Verpies !!   ;)
Yup!
...and my nephew said " play it again! "

This seems to be the place for random topics about life in general so I have a story to share.  My dad passed away a few months ago and so I have been doing some thinking of course about some of the things he tried to teach me over the years.  Some were of course important and some didn't really matter all that much in the grand scheme of things.  The following is one of the more minor things he taught me.

I remember him telling me a few times that if you have a dog barking at you and generally acting ferocious that you just need to point your finger straight at the dog and stare him or her down until they turn and walk away.  Well my son has a mutt that is always barking at me when I go down there.  He lives next door so I am there almost every day and sometimes several times in one day.  So the dog clearly knows who I am.

The other day my son and I were cutting down some tall pine trees near where the dog stays.  I got tired of the yapping dog and decided to try what Dad had told me.  I walked to where the dog was and pointed my finger straight at her.  She immediately stopped barking and looked at me with kind of a puzzled look on her face.  I continued to stare at her with my finger pointed at her.  She went behind a tree and then peeked out to see if I was still there.  When she saw I was still there she waited a while and did it again.  Then she just walked over and laid down in the shade and didn't bark at me anymore the rest of the day.  Usually she would bark at me even if I had been there for an hour or more.

For the next 3 days she never made a sound when I went down to my sons.  Today for the first time she did bark a couple of times until I pointed my finger at her again and she immediately went and laid down.

Does anyone know how or why this works?

Carroll

Group: Ambassador

Carroll
Nice story and a tribute to your Dad's wisdom

making direct eye contact with authority  [pointing] is a good idea, never unlock the eyes or dart around or act nervous

you turn and run!!
lunchtime !!

you assumed the alpha role and removed her from authority [over you]...and she actually knows you are welcome there
not a stranger.

I have had many encounters with dogs I did not trust, I never take my eyes off them[lock eyes]
its like speaking their language ,

not saying you could get away with this when trespassing as an unknown person on a dogs home turf.

while you could still perhaps get away from the dog if you back out slowly and keep the eyes locked on

However
if there is more than one dog to lock eyes on...

lunchtime

Hi Chet,

I thought it must be something like that but I am still not sure what part the finger pointing plays in it.  I know I have yelled at the dog over and over before with what I thought was authority but she just kept on barking.  But as soon as I tried the finger pointing thing she immediately hushed.

I read on the EF your eye problem is back.  Very sorry to hear that.  I will keep you in my prayers.  I'll be praying for a speedy and lasting recovery.

Take care,
Carroll

yes
just started again tonight  ,scary stuff, thanks for the prayers , going under the knife again tomorrow.

Buy me a cigar
Dear Chet.

That's awful news.... too much stress?

You'll be in our thoughts also.

Kind regards, Graham.

Group: Elite Experimentalist

Buy me some coffee
yes
just started again tonight  ,scary stuff, thanks for the prayers , going under the knife again tomorrow.

Now-see what happens when you give up the magnums Chet.

Wishing you a speedy recovery buddy.

Be safe

Brad

Never let your schooling get in the way of your education.

yeah its the pits ..
Brad, those caramel dark chocolate magnums were my favorite :(

they won't let me eat now...I could go for a whole Box of magnums  ATM ,I think I'll pick up a case on the way home

sigh....

Everyman decries immorality
Hang in there Chet mate, take this time to cultivate the minds eye.

Imposed meditation if you like.  O0

Everyman Standing Order 01: In the Face of Tyranny; Everybody Stands, Nobody Runs.
Everyman Standing Order 02: Everyman is Responsible for Energy and Security.
Everyman Standing Order 03: Everyman knows Timing is Critical in any Movement.

Group: Tinkerer

Quote from: CITFTA
I remember him telling me a few times that if you have a dog barking at you
and generally acting ferocious that you just need to point your finger straight
at the dog and stare him or her down until they turn and walk away.

I'd not heard of this technique before.  I have tried it now several times in the
past two days and am delightfully impressed.  It does indeed seem to work!
Many thanks for the little known "secret!"

Chet,

Give us a report on your condition as soon as you are able.
We're all rooting for you!

For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open.

Group: Guest
I spoke with Chet a little while ago. He is home from hospital after successful surgery, in good spirits and is probably resting quietly now.
 O0

Buy me a cigar
That's good news but....

Chet, " resting quietly " ??    ;)

Let's hope so.   O0

Buy me a beer
Hope everythings goes well this time, pulling for you

Regards

Mike 8)

Well
I saw a vision a little while ago, I had to go back to the surgeon this AM to have the bandage taken off,I wa convinced it was a waste of time
[to far gone] since they keep you awake and last time I could see all the laser welding, and this time it was all dark

well she took off the bandage and was I ever shocked!! a beautiful Polish Nurse ....of course there is more to come down the road [my eye has been filled with "heavy silicone oil ,and they put a rubber band [stitched] to the back Muscles behind the eye.

I feel like I won the lottery ...3-6 months and they remove the  oil.

thanks for all the positive vibes...
Amazing what they can do.

it does hurt to read ATM so I'll be resting although he said I really can't over do it as long as I let the pain be my Guide...

Group: Elite

It's turtles all the way down
Dear Chet

Wishing you a speedy recovery on your eye problem.

Kind Regards

"Secrecy, secret societies and secret groups have always been repugnant to a free and open society"......John F Kennedy

Buy me a cigar
Good morning All.

As most known my primary passion was the preservation/restoration of our industrial engineering past.

I spent yesterday at the Anson Engine museum where I have been a quiet contributor since it started nearly 40 years ago. The Anson started as a predominately " Manchester made " internal combustion engine museum, there were many makers back then but has slowly expanded towards the diverse collection seen today.

Here's the latest addition to the " Steam Room " ..... A not so " Grimy " but very old contraption......  ;)

https://youtu.be/HhmIyluYbAA

Cheers Graham.

Hi Graham,

Chet mentioned you were interested in the sawmill my son is putting together.  So here are a couple of pictures of what he has gotten done so far.  The main support base is finished and just needs some minor leveling.  He has taken everything completely apart and is sandblasting and repainting everything.  The other picture is of the carriage assembly.  He doesn't have all the rails down yet.  He just got new bearings today for the main saw blade shaft.  If you are interested I will post more pictures as he gets more of it together.  He works a normal job and just works on this in the evenings and weekends so it will be a while before it is all done.

Kind regards,
Carroll

Buy me a cigar
Hi Carroll.

Yes indeed, that looks rather a large one.

I have been a bit preoccupied today trying to sort out the mess over at OU. Com. I have actually locked the topic at 18.00 BST today.

If there is still an interest I will open a topic here at OUR, it's sad though because I felt it would bring a few newcomers into this area of research. Hey ho.....

Kind regards, Graham.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 35
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-04-18, 22:32:54