PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-03-29, 06:21:55
News: Forum TIP:
The SHOUT BOX deletes messages after 3 hours. It is NOT meant to have lengthy conversations in. Use the Chat feature instead.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Daily rants and moans  (Read 31852 times)
Group: Guest
One less thing to stress about, the insurance claim is accepted and will pay out in 7 to 10 days. I see that I can most likely get a 2004 model commodore with 170 000 klms on the clock for 4 K, many like that. I'll probably end up with a better-newer car but with more k's on the clock. I need a tow bar so I can tow the trailer with the motorcycle in it and move furniture ect. the one i like has one.

I wonder what premium they will offer me this time. lol. Last time I got a real good deal and low premium but insured the car for a bit over the "book" value, which is handy to pay for more insurance. hahaha I'll try to do it again but might not be a good deal.

Group: Tinkerer

Thanks to all of the capable and generous folks who make
Linux what it is and has become I am now nearly completely
Windoze Free! ;D

Open Shot and AVI DeMux are two video editing programs
which have replaced HandBrake as my tools of choice. 8)

It is very nice to have multiple choices. O0

---------------------------
For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open.

muDped May I ask which version of Linux you use most and why you like it ? With Linux mint on my laptop there seemed to be an issue with Hardware acceleration relating to graphics chip and video's ect. It used only cpu to render video. Not sure if it was the same as when I had Linux Mint on the desktop in dual boot, I've since changed HDD's and have not yet again installed a dual boot option with windows 7 on a dual core 2900 mhz PC using on board graphics for now but will end up with a Direct x 11.1 compatible AMD graphics card.

Another issue is Nvidia's "CUDA" ect. Hardware transcoding abilities as well as Intels "Quick Sync" hardware transcoding tech.

Of course I think If one wants Windows 10 on a machine then it may not be possible to create a dual boot setup, which I really like, I like the option of using either.

I'll need to look into it and discover if a Linux - Windows 10 dual boot setup is even possible, I'm not using secure boot so maybe I can do it. The newer computer I just built I intend to install a Nvidia GTX 760 Graphics card from EVGA so as to utilize the CUDA hardware transcoding ability to convert BluRay Images to H264/5 MP4 Video files. 25 Gigs to 1 or 2 Gigs for mobile devices and 25 Gigs to maybe 2 to 3 Gigs for Archive. Newer computer is AMD CPU and AMD Graphics. I made a boo boo and should have taken the Intel route, even if I had to purchase a slightly lower clocked and rated CPU. From what I can gather Intels "Quick Sync" produces a better quality output video than Nvidia's "CUDA", but pure CPU transcoding produces the very best quality at the cost of time and power.

I am unaware if Linux programs can Utilize these Hardware transcoding abilities. Confused.

Next computer I assemble for myself will be Intel and Nvidia so I can take advantage of whichever Hardware transcoding acceleration is best in a given situation or both, one for hardware decoding and the other for hardware encoding if need be, to speed things up. If I build and use Intel and Nvidia then I can recommend them as options for others, but until then i can only go by the online evidence.

Just my personal preference Farmhand, but I would not go the dual-boot route anymore.

Plop VirtualBox on Linux and load WinX as a virtual machine.  If you go this way, then WinX/VirtualBox runs as just another application and can't hog your machine.  Plus you can interact between the two instantly instead of rebooting and horsing around with intermediate file transfers.

Another nicety is moving WinX.  Once you have it as a virtual machine, you can zip it up, move it to a safe place and plop it back on, like in the case of an OS reload or something.  All your configurations stay intact.  The whole OS just becomes a file.

Just saying...

I went this route and have never looked back.

That sounds like a good idea, I'll give it a go when I get the time and get the phone line and unlimited adsl connected, should be only a few days away, fiber is some months away yet, but I'll get switched over to fast fiber to the node based internet access when it is available. It would cost me almost 40 dollars to download the latest version of Linux mint on the wireless broadband I'm using now. Soon it won't matter I'll be in the unlimited data club. yippee

On my several old computers I've "frugally" installed a
collection of the various flavors of Puppy Linux.  The
ability to run "frugally" (without a full install) is the
most advantageous feature of Puppy for me.  Another
is their small size.  Most Puppies are somewhat more
than 100MB and only a few more than 300MB so the iso
downloads are quite fast.

Presently, for the video editing work I've done, the
Puppies used are Slacko 5.7 (a Slackware derivative)
and Tahr Pup 6.0.2 (an Ubuntu derivative.)  Those
derivatives enable access to the full repositories of
their origins for inclusion of many applications as
add-ons.

All of the Puppies come with the FFConvert Multimedia
Converter included.  I use this a lot for converting videos
from one format to another.  The process can be time
consuming on my old machines which are all single-core
32 bit processors, but the job eventually gets done.

AVIDeMux has the ability to "hard encode" subtitles into
foreign language videos as it converts them, which is very
useful.

Open Shot is available for Tahr Pup and is incredibly versatile.

The newer Puppies use the latest kernels which exploit the
construct of the new multi-core processors.  Therefore, I use
"retro" versions of those Puppies which are compiled from older
kernels for use in older machines.  Most of the new, advanced
Puppies which are intended to operate in new computers will
not work in my older machines.  One of these days I'll have to
go High Tech and get one of the latest I suppose.  For the time
being I really enjoy using the older technology though.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-11, 20:49:01 by muDped »

For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open.

Well I remember when computers were a lot slower then today, I would run XP on a PentiumII but with XPlite.
http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html

This program is the greatest for installing XP with the least amount of overhead. Things like Outlook and Internet Explorer that are the high risk programs are simply omitted. It gives the user full control over the install and upkeep process producing a much leaner OS.

hahaha. I remember right at Dos 3.1 when Xerox came out with the first graphic interface Gem and publishing with Ventura, it would take about 20 seconds to pan down a page. I used Gemdraw to produce technical drawings for a tender request made by the Canadian Army for a mobile water purification system that could be set-up on any water supply in the world, within 20 minutes and produce pure water for 1000 soldiers. hahaha It took me 4 months and some 60 pages. When the tender date arrived, I get a call from their purchasing to say the tender had been cancelled. Bastards. They said they would send my the new tender when it is available but I never heard from them again. They then took my design and sole sourced it to a company in Ontario (won't say their name for legal purposes) and I only found out about it when I was watching the CTV News one night and there was a report about the Canadian Army in Bosnia and they were showing soldiers unloading water treatment modules from an Army truck. I jumped up and yelled, Hey that's my damn design. I was so pissed off.

Ahhhhh. This rant thread really does wonders.

wattsup

Great story Wattsup!  Aaaaaah, those were indeed "the days!"

Personal Computers were clocked at from 1 to 3 MHz;  the KAYPRO 2
with the Z-80 processor was something less than 4 MHz.  The IBM PC
was 4.77 MHz, the XT with TURBO either 4.77 MHz or 10 MHz and the
infamous AT was 12 MHz.  In those days the thought of a PC clocked
at 2 GHz did not exist.  The Dick Tracy wrist radio was also thought to
be an impossible figment of the imagination.

This was only like 25 years ago!!  Shazam, China and High Tech have
made an enormous difference.

Group: Experimentalist

Buy me a beer
Well I have had another of those days today where I feel like taking my shotgun and blasting a few people. I have at the moment my two children 25 and 21yrs old, taking me to court for some 35,000€ (which I do not have, even if I did they will have to wait until I'm dead), so I have been to obtain legal aid as I do not have any money and a limited income.

I took all the papers to the legal aid office 50km away, they told me they needed another paper from the tax office, I explained that this I'm not obliged to do in the tax office as I am self employed and make a simplified return. They say I have to have it or a certificate to say I don't need it.

OK I go to the tax office to ask!!!!!! I now need to make an apointment on line with the information desk, huh, then when I get the information of which part of the tax office I need, I have to make another apointment on line, huh.

So just to have a certificate to say I do not need this paper, I will have done 8 X 50km =400km huh!!!! can I send it by e-mail? no, by post? no, only by hand so as they can give me a receipt for the paper..... They can stick their paper up their backside where their brains seem to be, This is what we have been doing for months my wife and I, and it has got to the stage that we are even falling out between ourselves.

regards

Mike 8)

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."
Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

As a general rule, the most successful person in life is the person that has the best information.

Hang in there Mike, hopefully right will prevail. I am astonished by how many people from non English speaking countries that can speak and write perfect English, Native English speakers are generally lazy in that respect, but then just which language to learn is the difficult choice.

Best of luck Mike.

Buy me a beer
Hang in there Mike, hopefully right will prevail. I am astonished by how many people from non English speaking countries that can speak and write perfect English, Native English speakers are generally lazy in that respect, but then just which language to learn is the difficult choice.

Best of luck Mike.

Thanks

I'm English through and through but speak Spanish and have lived in Spain for the last 25years.

I agree the English speaking are very lazy when it comes to languages.

My situation here nobody outside Spain can understand. Spain is the second most corrupt country in the whole world, not many realise this, of course I could just go back to the UK, the problem would not go with me, it would remain here, but I have a house here, the only thing I have left, but also I have 3 children in the UK. This is the classic take the house off me now and the 3 in the UK would be left with nothing when I die, they are 37, 40 and 44yrs.

I am suffering all sorts of health problems at the moment, and if I die before any court hearing, then the house will be split 5 ways, if not then 2 ways, now you see the problem. The third thing is if I loose my house and I resolve my health problems, what do I do then? live on the street? that's what would happen if I did not have a wife that could look after me!!

regards

Mike

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."

As a general rule, the most successful person in life is the person that has the best information.

Since I'm presently using an older computer with just 1GB
of RAM, web page bloat has been a real problem.  The
amount of bloat in the form of ads and other "stuff" which
comes with some web pages is astounding.  The times have
recently been many when with just two pages opened in
separate tabs the bloat has caused my browser to overload
and lock up. I've tried two ad-blockers in an attempt to prevent
such intrusion but with only limited success.

Until now, that is.  Two days ago I checked on the available
add-ons for firefox and found the BluHell-Firewall listed

Naturally, after reading what it claimed it could do, I thought
"this is surely worth a try."  And yes it was!  It has made an
incredible difference!  The "bloat" has been eliminated!

Have any others discovered this amazing add-on and given
it a go yet?

Hey muDped, I've been using "Adblock Plus" which works on Chrome as well as firefox, but I will definitely give BluHell-Firewall on firefox a run to see if I can tell any difference.

Chet Mate, you may be right about me having sleep apnea after all, my new doctor has organised for me to receive a test kit so I can hook myself up and test at home, I cannot remember when I last had a dream, the doc reckons it highly likely considering my symptoms. As well he checked out my left hip and he says I have a hip issue also, which explains why doing more exercise as the other doctor recommended caused me more problems. I go to get some physio on the hip and lower back in the new year. Maybe next year they will work out what is actually going on and where. All the walking around town was fun when I had no car but it took it's toll on me. I don't like the idea of having to use a walking stick, I'm only just turned 47. darnit, my body is wearing out fast probably partly because of lack of sleep and therefore lack of repair time. With any luck the new doctor has some empathy and will try his best to get to the bottom of my issues rather than just try to drug me senseless and ignore all my complaints as if I were "bunging it on" as we say here or faking it or just whinging. If you didn't mention it I might have argued with the doctor about the sleep apnea, but he seems convinced. It might even get me off the "driving without due care and attention" charge because I had no way of knowing and the previous doctor had not suspected that and ignored my complaints about my hip by blaming it all on my back.

I'm still a bit lame from what I did almost a week ago and I need to mow the grass again, so it's a never ending circle. Lucky I have a small yard, I'll stagger the front and back a week apart. Gotta keep up with the chores or they get backed up. I find it really difficult to do nothing though, it seems like a waste of life sitting around doing bugger all. That annoys and stresses me out.

Thanks for bringing up the sleep apnea thing, I should have listened to good sense and asked to get checked out already. I'm probably lucky I haven't had a complete mental breakdown due to lack of sleep and stress. I feel a lot less stressed just knowing things might get checked out now. If I can improve my condition I'll get a job, if they'll let me work that is, I won't get any workers comp cover most likely, but I don't get any at home anyway so no big deal.

Anyone else use Glucosamine Hydrochloride for joint issues ? I got some and took one yesterday, already I feel some relief from it. Seems expensive but is only 25 cents per tablet.

Group: Ambassador

FH
I was just talking to a friend today who is getting checked out for Sleep apnea,  as we talked I remembered a bit more about what I was told at the Apnea clinic.
apparently REM sleep is when a very important "repair" cycle happens for our Bodies , supposedly a "new" finding in science ,[especially the Heart I am told]
anyway, when an apnea event happens during REM sleep it completely bumps you from REM sleep , Very bad for the body's healing cycle.  your Sudden loss of consciousness' is a VERY big symptom ,if you do indeed have this condition  once treated  you Will experience rapid improvements in your health and feeling of well being.
Like a Miracle of sorts ,I don't know if I mentioned this before But My dad experienced a similar Miracle with his heart after he was diagnosed and got treatment
for the Sleep Apnea A 180 degree turn around with his heart problem ,apparently completely normal now.

Glad You are having this checked ,also I do know MANY persons who sware by the Glucosamine ,not sure about the other ingredient.

Quote from: FarmHand
... I've been using "Adblock Plus" which works on Chrome as well as firefox...

Aye, I've tried that one too, with a strange result.  Certain pages
seemed to have detected it and put up a little popup requesting
that I disable it for their page as their ads were non-intrusive and
in good taste.

Bluhell is surprisingly effective yet very small in size.  Down in the
lower right hand corner of my task bar there is a graphical display
of RAM usage.  Before when browsing certain sites and pages would
cause the little display to shoot up very high as the "junk" was loaded.
Now it stays down near the bottom showing minimal use of RAM as
the bloat is somehow rejected or ignored.  It seems to be doing a good
job.

muDped, even on windows 10 with 4 gigs of RAM I notice the pages load much quicker and without any "extra" or "pop up" ads at all, I tested it on a webpage that I use for a tv guide which is very heavy on ads and with BluHell installed and enables the page loaded real quick. It definitely works well even on windows. Firefox browser that is. Good stuff, Thanks, I'll get my tv guide much quicker now.   :)

Anyone else use Glucosamine Hydrochloride for joint issues ? I got some and took one yesterday, already I feel some relief from it. Seems expensive but is only 25 cents per tablet.

@Farmhand

Been reading about your issues and hope you are feeling better these days.

Joint issues is mostly caused by parasites. What I make is called MMS2 which is Calcium Hypochlorite (68%) better known as swimming pool shock treatment. You can buy huge volume for about 5 bucks at any pool store or poll section of any mass merchandiser.

You need to find some size 0 empty capsules and cap these your self not more then 10 at a time.

30 minutes after a meal, you drink one big glass of water, then you take one pill and drink a second glass of water. You may feel some slight bloating but this dissipates quickly and you will get used to it quickly as well.

What the pill does is reduces to oxygen (there is no chlorine in this) in the digestive system which then enters the body where all the anaerobic bad guys get eliminated by this simple oxygen, while the aerobic good guys in the digestive system and body are not harmed. hehehe

As we get older, our ability to generate oxygen in the blood and body diminishes and proportionally, the bad guys just make themselves at home creating so many of the chronic conditions.

Lookup MMS2 on Google or even youtube. Lately, doctors in Ivory Coast (if I recall correctly) were treating ebola patients with MMS and it takes only 2-3 days. Malaria is also cured in 2-3 days. But since this is a non patentable very low cost and easily dispensed treatment, or course the pill kings don't like it and hence, you will not hear about it on TV news. You will see attacks by the pill pushers which is always expected. But it works man and no harmful side effects.

Keep well.

wattsup

PS: Naturally this post is not medical advice. hehehe

Thanks for the heads up Wattsup, I'll look into that as well. The doctors don't recommend Glucosamine either, and I already gathered why since it seems effective to a degree. 

Buy me a beer
Well this one takes the number one post.

My wife and I went away to our apartment on the 4th of this month and came back on my birthday 11th.

On the 4th at 1900hrs someone telephoned the electric company to have the electric meter removed from my mother in laws flat, on the 6th they removed it perminently.

We do not know who has done this, the flat is now my wifes as her mother past away early last year. Going and making a claim to the electric company they say no money is owed, the call details will not be given for security reasons, the call was recorded but we will need a court order to hear it "we are told that at the moment it would take 2yrs".

We have been to the police, to the electric companies offices, the town hall etc etc etc and as of now no luck with anything, just a brick wall.

Am I paranoid? whoever did this had to have access to the contract details and would have to be the property owner and of course my wife did not do this, also someone would have to sign the removal papers (there could have been someone on a medical machine in the flat)!!!! who ever did it knew our movements.

They will not put the meter back, now we need an inspection of the installation, a bulitine etc etc and is going to cost around 5000€ because the flat is near 40yrs old and will need a new installation.

My wife is pulling her hair out, she thinks it is because of what I do.

I will keep you posted

regards

Mike

Group: Professor

Can anyone tell me why my PC running XP and Chrome now doesn't go to selected pages on this OUR site without timing out several times.  The home page always comes up instantly but any other I select doesn't.  When trying to post a reply I get the right page after several reloads, but when I have typed my message and try to post it after several reloads I get the start new topic page.  I go back to the page with my message on, try to post it again only to be told that I have already sent the post.  But it doesn't appear anywhere.  My laptop running Windows 8 works OK so I have to use that to post anything.  I never had this trouble before the recent change of host.

Smudge 

Group: Elite Experimentalist

Buy me some coffee
Can anyone tell me why my PC running XP and Chrome now doesn't go to selected pages on this OUR site without timing out several times.  The home page always comes up instantly but any other I select doesn't.  When trying to post a reply I get the right page after several reloads, but when I have typed my message and try to post it after several reloads I get the start new topic page.  I go back to the page with my message on, try to post it again only to be told that I have already sent the post.  But it doesn't appear anywhere.  My laptop running Windows 8 works OK so I have to use that to post anything.  I never had this trouble before the recent change of host.

Smudge

I run that exact combo-->XP and chrome,and have no issues at all. My pages load within a second,and as you can see,making post's and replies is no problem.

Maybe try a re-install of google chrome?.

Brad

Never let your schooling get in the way of your education.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-03-29, 06:21:55