PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2017-04-23, 16:43:35
News: Forum TIP:
The SHOUT BOX deletes messages after 3 hours. It is NOT meant to have lengthy conversations in. Use the Chat feature instead.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19]
Author Topic: Some "New" Observations  (Read 98977 times)

Now that would be neat. An LED-resistor pair across each capacitor, with the resistor value such that the LEDs would only light at the peaks. By varying frequency you'd see the peaks moving along the length of the line. Maybe it would work without killing the line. If it would work with one LED-resistor pair it might be neat to see one made with LEDs in every position.
With big power from the Heathkit transmitter it might be possible to get NE-2 neons to light up that way instead of LEDs.

EDIT: It works!
« Last Edit: 2017-04-11, 06:45:30 by TinselKoala »

---------------------------
"The easiest person to fool is yourself" -- Richard Feynman

Group: Elite

It's turtles all the way down
Now that would be neat. An LED-resistor pair across each capacitor, with the resistor value such that the LEDs would only light at the peaks. By varying frequency you'd see the peaks moving along the length of the line. Maybe it would work without killing the line. If it would work with one LED-resistor pair it might be neat to see one made with LEDs in every position.
With big power from the Heathkit transmitter it might be possible to get NE-2 neons to light up that way instead of LEDs.

I was going to place neons right on top of the coils, but the resistor / led / neon across the capacitor sounds like a more controlled experiment.

You may not need that much drive with neons if your coil has a high enough Q, as the voltage can build to quite high values in the line.

Now we need to figure out how to get either a traveling wave or a series of singular pulses to travel down the line, so that in the process of transferring velocity to electrons, thus dragging electrons in a conductor placed within the line, it develops a DC current flow in the conductor.(or gas tube per the patent). The energy needs to be used up in this process before it reaches the end of the line such that there is no reflected pulse, which would just push the electrons backwards undoing the forward velocity, and no net DC in the target.

A proper termination would prevent reflections possibly at the expense of wasted power if the wave should get to the termination.   See section 2 par 5, thru 15.

Another possibility: the line is formed into a ring with output tied to input and a directional coupler injects the signal. Possibly diode blocking would be enough to keep the pulse going in one preferred direction.

It will be a while before I get back on this but doing things as I am able, (tax filing, 70 1/2 RMD's. complicated!).

Just because it has a patent application or is patented does not always mean it really works.

Thanks ION,  just take your time to do things properly.

I was still playing around with this coil, like striking with a probe across the coil length with a very slow time base setting to see the trace "write" the amplitude
of the nodes/anti-nodes when using different resonance frequency settings.

No idea how to get "either a traveling wave or a series of singular pulses to travel down the line" so i will be waiting for any ideas to pop up.

Regards Itsu

Yeah, that is neat...and close to your NE2 avatar.

I was still playing around with this coil, like striking with a probe across the coil length with a very slow time base setting to see the trace "write" the amplitude
of the nodes/anti-nodes when using different resonance frequency settings.
That is a good idea, too.
Once, I also used 74HCT4067 16-ch analog switches to make a visualizer of transmission line's standing waves on a scope. 
74HCT4067 converts the position along the length of a transmission line to the X-axis on the scope, by quickly scanning the switches sequentially with 74HC4520.  The analog switches do the same job as your manual "striking with a probe across the coil length" - just automatically.
That circuit is so obvious that I will not bother looking for its schematic, unless someone wants to play with it.

No idea how to get "either a traveling wave or a series of singular pulses to travel down the line" so i will be waiting for any ideas to pop up.
Slow FM sweep will get the nodes moving on an unterminated line

Once, I also used 74HCT4067 16-ch analog switches to make a visualizer of transmission line's standing waves on a scope. 

I can imagine what kind of display will be the result.

Slow FM sweep will get the nodes moving on an unterminated line

OK, i will look into this slow FM sweep on an open line.

Thanks,  itsu

OK, i will look into this slow FM sweep on an open line.
PM sweep too

An calculator for standing waves in long lines which may be of interest.

http://gorchilin.com/calculator/longline?L=0.5&Q=175&g=100&g=0&g=33&g=0&g=0&ph=0&ph=0&ph=0&ph=0&ph=0

Maybe someone could translate the controls.

Just because it has a patent application or is patented does not always mean it really works.

An calculator for standing waves in long lines which may be of interest.

http://gorchilin.com/calculator/longline?L=0.5&Q=175&g=100&g=0&g=33&g=0&g=0&ph=0&ph=0&ph=0&ph=0&ph=0

Maybe someone could translate the controls.

ION,

Click on the American flag in the upper right hand corner of the page for an English translation.  The Gorchilin site has some interesting info IMO.

pm

ION,

Click on the American flag in the upper right hand corner of the page for an English translation.  The Gorchilin site has some interesting info IMO.

pm

Hi thanks for the tip. Agreed, I saw the link and patent on OU.com and gave it a read. The patent and his work probably needs close scrutiny and in a topic dedicated to it.

Regards

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19]
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2017-04-23, 16:43:35