PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-04-18, 09:09:01
News: Check out the Benches; a place for people to moderate their own thread and document their builds and data.
If you would like your own Bench, please PM an Admin.
Most Benches are visible only to members.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Rigol DS1054Z -- Features, Usage, and... BUGS !!  (Read 74078 times)
Group: Guest
Yes, it sounds to me like the scope is just waiting for a triggering event.  Brad, can you post a screenshot or a short video of the scope when this happens?

In the Trigger section on the front panel, the "Mode" button switches between the three Sweep Modes: Auto, Normal, and Single. When the Mode is Auto, the scope free-runs and shows a trace even if it is not triggered. When the mode is Normal, the scope waits for a trigger event before it will update the trace on screen. When the mode is Single, it waits for a trigger event then does one full sweep and Stops.

If the scope is in Auto sweep mode and you are getting that "Wait", then there might be something wrong. But if it is in Normal sweep mode, it is just telling you that your Trigger parameters aren't satisfied.

(This is different from the "Auto" setup button in the very top row of buttons! I am talking about the Auto Sweep Mode selected in the Trigger section of the panel, not what happens when you push that "Auto" setup button!)

By "Trigger Event" we mean something that satisfies what you have set in your Trigger menu and the vertical position of the Trigger Level indicator. So for example say you are looking at a Sine Wave of varying amplitude, and you are in Normal sweep mode, and your Trigger Type is set to "rising edge" and your Trigger Level is set to + 1 volt. The scope will Wait until the signal amplitude is over 1 Volt and will only trigger when it is over. When the signal level drops below 1 volt the scope will stop sweeping and will be "Wait"ing for the next time the signal exceeds the 1 volt setting. And it will continue to show a "frozen picture" of the last triggered sweep, unless you push the "Clear" button in the top row.

This should not be any different than how the old Atten or any other DSO behaves though.

Brad we should try to get this issue sorted right away, so that IF there actually IS something wrong with the scope, you can return it under the Vendor's warranty and get a replacement immediately.

Group: Professor

Well,not sure what you mean !waiting! for the triggering event.
It means that it is waiting for the condition defined in the trigger menu, to be satisfied.
« Last Edit: 2017-05-19, 21:38:32 by verpies »

Group: Tinkerer

Maybe this will help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieCQGFWAitk
Ahhh I'm yet to get out of auto mode. That helped me understand lots of things . Thanks.

Ok I don't get this . My TBP are stacked with a ferrite core.

Group: Elite

It's turtles all the way down
Ok I don't get this . My TBP are stacked with a ferrite core.

Dear Jim

It looks correct, you are reading input current pulses across an inductance (primary TBF, yellow ch), not seeing peaks because pulses somewhat smoothed by the two capacitors, C1, C2.

The current pulses are coupled to the unloaded secondary of TBF, blue trace.

Perhaps someone else could also describe. What is the question?

Regards

---------------------------
"Secrecy, secret societies and secret groups have always been repugnant to a free and open society"......John F Kennedy

Sharks and elephants.

Your sharks are eating your elephants.   

Mm I though the elephants were trampling the sharks. I thought the yellow should leading and it looks like it's trailing. Thought I may have a setting wrong.

Group: Elite Experimentalist

Buy me some coffee
Yes, it sounds to me like the scope is just waiting for a triggering event.  Brad, can you post a screenshot or a short video of the scope when this happens?

In the Trigger section on the front panel, the "Mode" button switches between the three Sweep Modes: Auto, Normal, and Single. When the Mode is Auto, the scope free-runs and shows a trace even if it is not triggered. When the mode is Normal, the scope waits for a trigger event before it will update the trace on screen. When the mode is Single, it waits for a trigger event then does one full sweep and Stops.

If the scope is in Auto sweep mode and you are getting that "Wait", then there might be something wrong. But if it is in Normal sweep mode, it is just telling you that your Trigger parameters aren't satisfied.

(This is different from the "Auto" setup button in the very top row of buttons! I am talking about the Auto Sweep Mode selected in the Trigger section of the panel, not what happens when you push that "Auto" setup button!)

By "Trigger Event" we mean something that satisfies what you have set in your Trigger menu and the vertical position of the Trigger Level indicator. So for example say you are looking at a Sine Wave of varying amplitude, and you are in Normal sweep mode, and your Trigger Type is set to "rising edge" and your Trigger Level is set to + 1 volt. The scope will Wait until the signal amplitude is over 1 Volt and will only trigger when it is over. When the signal level drops below 1 volt the scope will stop sweeping and will be "Wait"ing for the next time the signal exceeds the 1 volt setting. And it will continue to show a "frozen picture" of the last triggered sweep, unless you push the "Clear" button in the top row.

This should not be any different than how the old Atten or any other DSO behaves though.

Brad we should try to get this issue sorted right away, so that IF there actually IS something wrong with the scope, you can return it under the Vendor's warranty and get a replacement immediately.

All good,was user error lol.

Now set to auto,in stead of normal O0

Brad

Never let your schooling get in the way of your education.

I don't understand what I'm looking at here obviously it's not 412v so what is it actually measuring? I have the yellow channel across the pulse TBP coil and the blue across  two TBP coils wound in series either side of the pulse coil with a ferrite rod through the centre. So a transformer basically.

Buy me some coffee
I don't understand what I'm looking at here obviously it's not 412v so what is it actually measuring? I have the yellow channel across the pulse TBP coil and the blue across  two TBP coils wound in series either side of the pulse coil with a ferrite rod through the centre. So a transformer basically.

I would say you have your scopes probe voltage set to 10x or 100x,instead of 1x  :D

Never let your schooling get in the way of your education.

It's not unusual to get really high voltages induced in the secondary, by fast rise/fall times in the primary.

But just to be sure, check that your switch on the CH2 probe itself is set to 10x and the CH2 channel setting is also set to 10x. The thickness of the trace in the third scopeshot is a little suspicious.

Yep I checked the probe switches before posting. Both 10X . Just wanted to check I wasn't missing something basic as is often the case :)

So, you have the channel set to 100 v/div and the automatic Measurement of Vp-p is showing the correct value of what the trace is showing.

I'm a little worried about the thickness of the trace, that's kind of unusual, but the high p-p voltage value in itself doesn't strike me as being strange at all.

Group: Experimentalist

Believing in something false doesn't make it true.
So, you have the channel set to 100 v/div and the automatic Measurement of Vp-p is showing the correct value of what the trace is showing.

I'm a little worried about the thickness of the trace, that's kind of unusual, but the high p-p voltage value in itself doesn't strike me as being strange at all.

I guessing that if Jim shortens the time base to expand the wide trace horizontally he will see there is some RF or at least some high frequency component  riding on the main signal causing the wide scope trace.  I have seen that before.

Just because it is on YouTube does not make it real.

Thanks blokes! I will check after dinner :) Just cooking a roast with home grown veggies :)

I just posted a new video slideshow of some interesting (I hope!) scopeshots illustrating the capabilities of the Rigol DS1054Z scope. Watch in 720p, pause to study, Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKoGxtbqpGg

Group: Administrator

Buy me some coffee
Thanks TK
Very interesting, I had not realized you could zoom like that.

Peter

It does, and I still have only hit the more basic capabilities of the scope. It can also decode several digital communication protocols, which I have yet to learn how to do, and it has many trigger options that I haven't demonstrated yet.

Once it is "hacked" the true -3dB bandwidth is actually about 130 MHz. The 100 MHz intensity-graded amplitude-modulated sine wave scopeshot was generated by my old HP 8640B RF signal generator and shows almost no falloff at 100MHz.

Buy me some coffee
indeed, it is quiet amazing for it's price, I've hardly switched mine on.
I have the version with dual sig gen on board as well, one day I will get the time to appreciate it a bit more, I would love to see what the Ethernet control is like as well.

A great application for remote control of the scope is "DSRemote" but I think that it only comes in a Linux version. But with any Windows terminal emulator like telnet or winterm you can communicate with the scope using SCPI commands that are given in the Rigol Programming Guide.

DSRemote is better though and if you have a real need for full control it's probably worth it to set up a Linux system if you don't already have one.

https://www.teuniz.net/DSRemote/

Instructions for building in your Linux environment seem complex but are easy to follow and worked for me just fine.

Buy me some coffee
Very interesting thanks TK

... .-.. .. -.. . .-.
Woah!
3:26 in the vid...how did you do the clock thing ?
Forgive me if it's a scene and I do normally watch your vids TK, but it's the first time i've seen that.
Second question, which relates to the first - can we play Asteroids on these scopes ?  8)

ʎɐqǝ from pɹɐoqʎǝʞ a ʎnq ɹǝʌǝu

The clock thing is an x-y display of the output of a neat little gadget called "ScopeClock".

http://www.dutchtronix.com/ScopeClockH3-1-Enhanced.htm

It looks a lot better on an analog scope though.

... .-.. .. -.. . .-.
Hmmm, cheers for the link, got nearly everything for that.
There's an EICO TR-410 here that still powers up and would look great with such a thing.
Good to know that the 1054Z works with it too. It would be one project where the builder wouldn't mind it being a non runner at first, using the scope to track down the fault.

Btw, do you know if the Channel 1 bug still applies on the 1054Z ?
I do everything that's single channel using Channel 2, for fear of some gremlins launching out from the screen.

ʎɐqǝ from pɹɐoqʎǝʞ a ʎnq ɹǝʌǝu

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-04-18, 09:09:01