PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2018-10-21, 18:37:51
News: A feature is available which provides a place all members can chat, either publicly or privately.
There is also a "Shout" feature on each page. Only available to members.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A curiosity?  (Read 5564 times)

Buy me a cigar
Dear All.

As many members know I spent many years of my working life involved with Model engineering. I still keep my hand in a little, so I was rather shocked to see this little " Gizmo " on a video !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MntTXRH38XY

View from 1.08 or just watch the whole thing !!   ;)

Nice set of magnetic bearings but even more is probably hidden within the rotor. Nice job though, don't you think ?

Cheers Grum.

---------------------------
Nanny state ? Left at the gate !! :)

Group: Elite

It's turtles all the way down
To say beautiful is probably not enough, I would also have to add "exquisite".  O0

These delights makes the VEproject stuff look like junk toys.

"Secrecy, secret societies and secret groups have always been repugnant to a free and open society"......John F Kennedy

Yes, that's a beautiful build of the classic "Mendocino Motor". There is nothing in the rotor except for the coils and the photovoltaic panels. It runs on the ambient lighting and is self-commutated. As the rotor turns it brings the solar cells sequentially into the brightest light and powers the coil attached to the cell at the top. This then pulls (or pushes) against the single magnet underneath the rotor to make the rotor spin. Very nicely done.

I like the "AxialKolbenMotor" at 5:36 and the one after that. Those are the kinds of things I dream about building with my (still missing) miniature machine shop.

Here's a "double scotch yoke" air or steam motor I built a long time ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeyHiEpT6ZU

"The easiest person to fool is yourself" -- Richard Feynman

Buy me a cigar
Dear TinselKoala.

Many thanks for the explanation, much simpler than I had envisaged.

" Miniature machine shop " ??  You now have me suffering from machine vice envy !!   :)

Cheers Grum.

Buy me a cigar
For your entertainment.

Here is a clip of my prototype RLE engine doing some work. The engine is my own design with attributes borrowed from many of the smaller power agricultural engines of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMH21SK_BN8

First attempt at a true half scale model ( 1989 ) Robinson " X " type of 1894.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THLPKtyxVdc

Followed by ( 1990 ) Gardner size " 0 " of 1905.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ2x36hAe5c

I borrowed the full size engines and scaled them down, making all the wooden patterns myself. I wish they had invented rapid prototyping back then !!  It took months of work.   :D

Enjoy, Grum.

Edit. Here is a picture of my 1/4 scale Hornsby Akroyd 1892  ( 1 and a 1/2 HP ) that took over nine months patternmaking, only to find it wouldn't run very well at all. There are only two of these in existence !!
« Last Edit: 2015-10-28, 14:39:09 by Grumage »

Fantastic engineering.

these people would have the skills to attempt John Worrell Keely's Hydro Vacuo engine.
Do we have enough knowledge of it to build one?

Buy me a cigar
Fantastic engineering.

these people would have the skills to attempt John Worrell Keely's Hydro Vacuo engine.
Do we have enough knowledge of it to build one?

Dear Paul-R.

" These people " , that's me, myself and I !!   :)  And thank you for your compliments.   O0

From patterns to castings and machining, all done with my pairs of eyes and hands.

I followed up on Mr Keely's work and it would seem that it may well have been a well executed scam. He managed to raise well over a million Dollars in the late 1800's, a princely sum in todays money !! But apparently after he died they found many hidden belts, pulleys and such in the house where he showcased his devices.

Cheers Grum.

As a footnote, FWIW, my own feelings are that the Clem engine would be a worthwhile avenue of research.   ;)

Group: Elite

It's turtles all the way down
Dear Paul-R.

" These people " , that's me, myself and I !!   :)  And thank you for your compliments.   O0

From patterns to castings and machining, all done with my pairs of eyes and hands.

I followed up on Mr Keely's work and it would seem that it may well have been a well executed scam. He managed to raise well over a million Dollars in the late 1800's, a princely sum in todays money !! But apparently after he died they found many hidden belts, pulleys and such in the house where he showcased his devices.

Cheers Grum.

As a footnote, FWIW, my own feelings are that the Clem engine would be a worthwhile avenue of research.   ;)

From what I understand, Keely had a large hollow iron sphere, a vessel that he would heat over coals, driving out as much air as possible forming a good vacuum. He then would valve and pipe the vacuum to various devices with tiny thin tubing hidden in walls or up through the floor, then through table legs to the appliance for demonstration. Very clever, as compressed air would be easy to detect, but vacuum is a bit more difficult.

This does not discount his theories, but certainly casts a shadow on them.

"Secrecy, secret societies and secret groups have always been repugnant to a free and open society"......John F Kennedy

I am having pòsts deleated? can anyone explain this?

regards

Mike 8) 8)

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."
Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

As a general rule, the most successful person in life is the person that has the best information.

Buy me a cigar
I am having pòsts deleated? can anyone explain this?

regards

Mike 8) 8)

Dear Mike.

An aptly named thread, methinks !!   ;D

Could it be due to the problems Peter is having ATM ?

Cheers Grum.

Dear Mike.

An aptly named thread, methinks !!   ;D

Could it be due to the problems Peter is having ATM ?

Cheers Grum.

Yep I think you are right, seems we have to redo our Avatars, I have done mine :) yours is still missing

regards

Mike 8)

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."

As a general rule, the most successful person in life is the person that has the best information.

Buy me a cigar
Yep I think you are right, seems we have to redo our Avatars, I have done mine :) yours is still missing

regards

Mike 8)

" 'Curiouser and curiouser!' cried Alice "

My Avatar is showing on two devices here !!   ???

Is there anyone else seeing or not ?

Cheers Grum.

Everyman decries immorality

Cheers Grum.

Nope cannot see your Avatar here.

Everyman Standing Order 01: In the Face of Tyranny; Everybody Stands, Nobody Runs.
Everyman Standing Order 02: Everyman is Responsible for Energy and Security.
Everyman Standing Order 03: Everyman knows Timing is Critical in any Movement.

Buy me a cigar
Nope cannot see your Avatar here.

Hi EA.

Neither's yours !!   ;D ;)

Cheers Grum.

Cheers Grum.

Now I see it except for EA's ^-^ ;D

regards

Mike 8)

Now I see it except for EA's ^-^ ;D

;D

Everyman Standing Order 01: In the Face of Tyranny; Everybody Stands, Nobody Runs.

Buy me a cigar
;D

Very aped, sorry apt !!

Bravo !!   O0

A link you put up Grum has the following vacuum engine explanation video linked:

Vacuum Engine Explained

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeRpY6JwvEM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_engine

Pulsometer pump

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulsometer_pump

The Pulsometer steam pump is a pistonless pump which was patented in 1872[1] by American Charles Henry Hall. In 1875 a British engineer bought the patent rights of the Pulsometer[2] and it was introduced to the market soon thereafter. The invention was inspired by the Savery steam pump invented by Thomas Savery. Around the turn of the century, it was a popular and effective pump for quarry pumping.

The Pulsometer operation is very similar in some respects to the vacuum engine, the hhop is Pulsometer based. The hhop gen 2 Hybrid is at rest around the natural gas / liquid boundary plane, forming an elastic energy relationship as seen in my simple demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXTdFvPm8Xk&feature=youtu.be

This video went to 24 views within 12 hours or so, hung on 24 for a couple of days and has now dropped to 22 views. Is this normal Youtube view behaviour ?

Buy me a cigar
Dear EA.

I think this design is far simpler??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S13wymzV0po

Cheers Grum.

Dear EA.

I think this design is far simpler??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S13wymzV0po

Cheers Grum.

Now that's what I call simple :D :D :)

regards

Mike 8)

My version of simple is hhop gen 3.

If you set the piston to be buoyant (have negative weight within the specific gravity field), the net weight will be the weight of the water minus the weight of the piston.

As you can remove the hhop gas cell you thus remove the power requirement from the system energy equation.

The COP relationship remaining is between the power required to actuate a valve, defining the system as either an external weight vector or an internal hydrostatic pressure scalar, and the energy extracted from the working cycle.

The pressure increases linearly due to the water mass exiting the turbine adding weight to the scalar field chamber, not constant pressure like a standard solid weighted ram.

The energy relationship around the boundary plane within the specific gravity field is elastic, and can be distorted to do work, by defining internal and external frames of reference at different points in the cycle.

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2018-10-21, 18:37:51