PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-03-29, 04:58:50
News: A feature is available which provides a place all members can chat, either publicly or privately.
There is also a "Shout" feature on each page. Only available to members.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13
Author Topic: Using the Earth's vector magnetic potential  (Read 95348 times)
Group: Elite

It's turtles all the way down
Guys, why spend so much for a simple counter.

You could easily hack one of these to do the job:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-LCD-Run-Step-Distance-Pedometer-Walking-Calorie-Counter-/301450418892?hash=item462fd85acc:g:JUUAAOSwl8NVcoX0

There are even better units with more digits here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3DFitBud-Walking-3D-Pedometer-Activity-Fitness-Tracker-Calorie-Step-Counter-wi-/162426106898?hash=item25d159b412:g:XncAAOSwSlBYwtW0

You just need to bring the switch out to your wheel or use an optical interrupter. The last one also has a clock built in.

As I said before, I hacked one from the dollar store and it counted pulses just fine.

Or you can get a pulse counter like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H7EC-BLM-0-999999-Counting-Range-No-voltage-Required-Digital-Counter-H1/282333113337?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D40130%26meid%3Ddb6e58a16be247d7ac5762821b1c068e%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D162201671333

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BQLZR-Digit-Display-Electronic-Accumulating-Counter-0-999999-Range-AC-100-240V/272597486605?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D40130%26meid%3Dcc7408f7eef240aa95d921b796a7c9e7%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D162201671333

http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-56-Red-LED-0-9999-Up-Down-4-Digit-Counter-Pulse-Switch-Input-Signal-DC12V-/291250763941?hash=item43cfe5f8a5:g:E5IAAOSw-jhUImZT

This one comes with the magnetic induction switch:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GEREE-LCD-Frequency-Counters-Pulse-Generators-Digital-Tally-Counter-0-99999-5-/152477718576?hash=item2380615830:g:i8IAAOSwImRYiHRd

http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-8-Blue-LED-3-Digit-Counter-0-999-Up-Down-Pulse-Switch-DC5V-28V-1-150Hz-/331477528272?hash=item4d2d99aed0:g:KKAAAOSwEeFU3A~i

And there are numerous other inexpensive solutions on ebay. I just did a quick search for pulse counters.

---------------------------
"Secrecy, secret societies and secret groups have always been repugnant to a free and open society"......John F Kennedy

Group: Renaissance Man

Buy me a cigar
Dear ION.

You guys seem to have a much better choice of cheap goods across the pond!

Our " Pound " stores don't carry things like this at all, in fact we have just returned home from ours, nothing of any use, no clocks no Laser pointers.

eBay UK don't have a cheap pedometer either.

Perhaps Verpies could elaborate on the device he's built? It may turn out to be something that could be shared around the members of OUR?

Kind regards, Graham.

Nanny state ? Left at the gate !! :)

Group: Elite

It's turtles all the way down
Dear Graham

Forget the dollar store pedometers, and read the rest of the ebay links in my prior post for pulse counters. You can do this for about $5 up with free shipping depending on the device quality.

You can even get a purely mechanical device if you don't like the all electronic type:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/W16-Mini-Pulse-Counter-/162201671333?hash=item25c3f916a5:g:WDkAAOSwMmBVm~wF

"Secrecy, secret societies and secret groups have always been repugnant to a free and open society"......John F Kennedy

Group: Professor

Perhaps Verpies could elaborate on the device he's built? It may turn out to be something that could be shared around the members of OUR?
It is a 12VDC device with a 15 digit LED display that I designed to log the acceleration of a race car (from stop to finish).

TTL Pulses from the car's wheel's ABS sensor are fed into the device and counted/logged onto a removable memory card. The numbert of pulses reflects how far the car has traveled.
The exact time when each pulse occurs is written to the memory card with a microsecond precision.

The device has two counters:
- a pulse/distance counter (7 LED digits)
- a time counter (8 LED digits) MMM:SS:mmm

The pulse (distance) counter's limit can be preset to any value (N) from a keypad located below the display.
After reset, the first pulse appearing at the input, increments the pulse counter and enables the continuous running of a millisecond clock (which works like a stopwatch).
When the pulse counter counts all the way up to the preset limit N, the millisecond clock gets frozen, yielding the time it took to count these N pulses.

The time of each pulse is also logged to the external memory card (formatted as FAT32) in a CSV file.

It may turn out to be something that could be shared around the members of OUR?
I doubt it.
It is a custom microcontroller + LED display driver jobbie and it is good only for logging the acceleration/deceleration of mechanical things ...or measuring how long it takes for N pulses to occur.

P.S.
If you can install the attached LCD font on a Windows machine, I can send you a software simulation of this device.
« Last Edit: 2017-04-08, 08:58:48 by verpies »

Buy me a cigar
Dear Verpies.

Sounds pretty neat !!  O0

Attached is a drawing of my simple starter.

Cheers Graham.

I'm running Windose 10. I think I have a RaR  program installed.

Attached is a drawing of my simple starter.
Yes, simple is beautiful.  It could also be a pendulum that swings once and hits sth on that disk.
You can make it even simpler by eliminating the "contact maker" on the ramp, since the first pulse from the optoreflector/optointerrupter on the disk can enable the clock anyway.

P.S.
Were you able to install the font attached to my previous message?

Buy me a cigar
Upon opening it brings up VLC media player.

Upon opening it brings up VLC media player.
1) Use the program WinRAR to open the LCD.rar file.
2) Extract the LCDsquare.ttf file somewhere to your local disk using WinRAR.
3) Copy the LCDsquare.ttf file to your \Windows\Fonts  directory using Windows Explorer (other file managers might not work).

Buy me a cigar
Ok. Done.

Buy me a cigar
It seems to work.

It seems to miss the first pulse, am I correct?

Buy me a cigar
Did you figure out what happens when you press the SET button for a long time ?

Yes indeed.... I was trying to do the 1 second, second thing in my head....   :)

No, it writes the first pulse to the memory card.  That is a classic N-1 issue.

Did you press the ODOin button 66 times?

P.S.
It blinks nicer on WindowsXP.  What are you running it on?

Buy me a cigar
No, it writes the first pulse to the memory card.  That is a classic N-1 issue.

Did you press the ODOin button 66 times?

P.S.
It blinks nicer on WindowsXP.  What are you running it on?

Ok. I'll have another play...   :)

As stated previously Windows 10.

As stated previously Windows 10.
Yuck!
If you have an old laptop with WinXP or 2K and a parallel port, most of this stuff could be done on it in software.

Hi Grumage

What are the max rpm that the disk attains when rotating against the A-field,  and in the reverse direction, i.e. when  "aided" by the A-field ?

Buy me a cigar
Hi Grumage

What are the max rpm that the disk attains when rotating against the A-field,  and in the reverse direction, i.e. when  "aided" by the A-field ?

Dear Cortazar.

Unfortunately the experiment has ground to a halt. The Easter break has seen us doing the grandparent thing trying to entertain the youngsters without the aid of electronics.

A suitable timer and a nice day should see the conclusion, it has been suggested that the experiment should be run outdoors so that nearby objects don't affect the rotor.

Cheers Graham.

...trying to entertain the youngsters without the aid of electronics.
:o

Group: Ambassador

Bump
Grum its time to talk again about your Needs for the tachometer or Whatsit? for your Smudge experiment.

Just Hung up with Slyder
He's gonna double check the "needs" here .

and then we move forward .

thanks
Chet

Buy me a cigar
Hi Chet.

Not a Tachometer as such, but something that can count a number of pulses in a preset time. eg. 3 minutes.

We might have missed the weather window though..... 3 full days of sunshine has now given way to rain, our summers probably gone....

Cheers Graham.

Grum its time to talk again about your Needs for the tachometer or Whatsit? for your Smudge experiment.
I have a gizmo like he needs, which I have first mentioned here and described here.

doesn't your gizmo weigh a ton ?
heavy and costly To ship??

Grum
fear not, Global warming is in full swing...

get out the umbrella and sandles

Group: Guest
How much does a cheap laser pointer, a photoresistor, an Arduino, an LCD display module and a wallwart power supply weigh?

I think this remote counter/totalizer task can be done with about 30 dollars or less in parts, half an hour assembly, and an Arduino sketch of under 50 lines of code.

Buy me a cigar

get out the umbrella and sandles

More like an umbrella, sou'wester and waders !!   :D

Grum
well Tinsel has said with proper preparation [hair dryer] , electrostatic machines can be demonstrated in wet or moist environments.
I am not certain about this test and whether or not the Moisture will hinder the effect due to local area being electrostatically Stifled by
the weather conditions.

Tinsel wrote
Easy peasy
How much does a cheap laser pointer, a photoresistor, an Arduino, an LCD display module and a wallwart power supply weigh?

I think this remote counter/totalizer task can be done with about 30 dollars or less in parts, half an hour assembly, and an Arduino sketch of under 50 lines of code.
end quote

the concern for this is mostly unexpected or unanticipated interference with the test rig and or environment.

if that's good enuff to go ahead.
then we will

and it will be discussed here [the build of the counter] just to be certain.

and shipped to Grum when done

Group: Guest
Well, you can put the laser pointer on one side of the room, shining at some part of the apparatus in the center of the room, and have the arduino+LDR+display on the other side of the room, positioned so that the beam from the pointer normally falls on the LDR, and the apparatus turning interrupts the beam while rotating. You can thus sense and count rotations from as far away as the laser pointer can shine.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-03-29, 04:58:50