PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-03-29, 13:18:18
News: Forum TIP:
The SHOUT BOX deletes messages after 3 hours. It is NOT meant to have lengthy conversations in. Use the Chat feature instead.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tesla turbine performance  (Read 1106 times)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbVRXvrGJfI&pp=sAQA
In this video above, low pressure steam to turn a Tesla turbine is tested. And in the comment section, someone is proposed to use it in combination with a heat pump. Just curious to know how much feasible that will be.

Group: Ambassador

Sir
Welcome to forum

I know Paul Townley has /and is doing work with Tesla turbine and ambient harvesting/ gain mechanism!?
Been a while since I spoke with him

Will ring him next few days perhaps get more insight.....

A question
Are you an open source researcher?

Or ?

Thanks
Chet

Are you an open source researcher?
Kindly clarify what you want to mean by open source researcher.

Here and elsewhere ( other open source venues)
Persons approach membership to utilize skill set for investment purposes
Or to vet a tech so as to “lock it up for personal gain”

And yes many YouTube experimenters are fishing for such persons ...

And many others just share their work open source  ( usually the you tube members channel history shows this)

Open source theme is self evident in its intent
And here there are many open source researchers sharing their efforts towards that goal

Sharing towards a better world not bank account? ( LENR community is also open source research example)

Hope that explains a bit ?

Chet K

So far, I have just thoughts and I haven't done something very significant. I just want to share my thoughts here to see whether those are feasible or not.

Fair and honest answer
And an intriguing topic !

Thanks
And welcome ( again)

I will report back on Paul Townley’s work and it’s progress here !( a few others chase similar gain claims ( ambient energy harvesting ...
Through unusual  paths !

Will post link here when I find it .

Respectfully
Chet K

Group: Moderator

PG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbVRXvrGJfI&pp=sAQA
In this video above, low pressure steam to turn a Tesla turbine is tested. And in the comment section, someone is proposed to use it in combination with a heat pump. Just curious to know how much feasible that will be

Watched some of your video's which were very entertaining, oh to be young again, lol, well done...

It's important to understand where Tesla was actually going with this technology and it's nothing like what most think which is generally the case. Tesla wanted a very small, lightweight, high power density turbine without all the complexity of conventional turbines ie the blading and tolerances. I used to design and build micro gas turbines 20 years ago not unlike that used in RC today and wrote software to do all the very complex calculations in basic on a Vic 20. It's unbelievably difficult just to get a gas turbine self sustaining let alone generating power due to the internal high velocity drag losses. 

However as I implied most have no idea what Tesla was actually trying to do with this specific design. The problem Tesla was actually trying to solve is called "adhesion" whereby the high velocity medium moving in between the disks could transfer almost all it's momentum to the disks. This would produce a very high efficiency turbine needing only a few sections negating the need for multi-section, compound high/low pressure regions.

Think about that, adhesion, what does that mean?. It means the medium moving in between the disks should adhere or stick to the surface and not just drag it along producing turbulence and drag losses. The effect Tesla used is very obscure and I would be willing to bet nobody here has ever even heard of steam electricity or ...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armstrong_effect.

In effect, the steam must be wet steam ie. including water droplets which charges the droplets to a high potential causing them to "adhere" to the metal disks which were grounded through the metal shaft connecting the disks and an Earth ground. The effect is similar to "spray charging" which is used to prevent paint overspray by forcing the paint to be attracted and "adhere" to the surface to be painted. Something so simple, an obscure effect nobody has heard of, a few design elements overlooked and a lack of understanding. This is why nobody to date has ever been able to replicate Tesla's claims regarding power density and efficiency.

A few obscure details which basically doubles the efficiency of the inferior Tesla turbines most are building today.

So what do you need to do?...
1)Use metal ie. conductive, disks connected to a metal shaft which is connected to ground though a shaft brush. This is a ground circuit.
2)Use a copper nozzle insulated from the steam supply which is also insulated from ground, high temp plastic lines.
3)The copper steam nozzle should be inside an insulated venturi which allows the steam to accelerate water droplets like a paint sprayer.
4)The water supply to the venturi must be insulated from ground as well through a batch mode or interrupted flow. Again this is a circuit.
5)Be careful because this is like nothing anyone here has probably ever seen and as my link implies the voltages can run into several hundred kV.
6)If you smell large amounts of ozone shut that mofo down because the HV is an ignition point for the H2 gas your probably producing.

For anyone who cares this is almost ancient technology dating back to the late 1800's, the waterfall effect, Armstrong effect, spray charging and so on...
Understand the only reason Tesla moved towards other mechanical inventions was because a bunch of knuckle draggers didn't like what he was doing with electricity. So he started integrating his electrical effects into common mechanical effects... pure genius.

Regards
AC

---------------------------
Comprehend and Copy Nature... Viktor Schauberger

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”― Richard P. Feynman

Group: Tinkerer

Well done indeed!

Most impressive video.

Astounding RPMs!

For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open.

https://www.youtube.com/user/dellbuddie1
This person has done a lot of work on Tesla turbine by using compressed air. After seeing his videos, a thought come to my mind. We can use compressed air in a different way. The compressed air will be released through a vortex tube and that will lead to two streams, one hot and one cold. The hot one will be used to heat up a water container to generate cold steam and that will be used to rotate one Tesla turbine. The cold flow will be used to rotate another set of Tesla turbine that will reduce its temperature further. And that cold flow will be used as the heat sink of the previously mentioned steam based Tesla turbine.

The Tesla turbine is a very interesting technology, but there are steep hurdles:

- the high revolutions require very good bearings which wear out in a short time

- the blades and separators need to be made from special materials to last long

In short, material requirements are not solved. Nobody built a Tesla turbine that run for more than a few days in a row. One would need turbines that run for years with minimal maintenance.

Greetings, Conrad

Group: Experimentalist

Buy me a beer
The Tesla turbine is a very interesting technology, but there are steep hurdles:

- the high revolutions require very good bearings which wear out in a short time

In short, material requirements are not solved. Nobody built a Tesla turbine that run for more than a few days in a row. One would need turbines that run for years with minimal maintenance.

Greetings, Conrad

The bearings are not a problem, you use floating bearings with all the generator inside, no external shaft to seal.

Regards

Mike 8)

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."
Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

As a general rule, the most successful person in life is the person that has the best information.

Greetings, Conrad
A bigger diameter turbine means less RPM and less pressure on the bearings.

Conrad
As an Engineer who has designed, built and operated both steam and gas turbines... I can safely say your talking nonsense.

All high speed bearing applications use oil or air levitated plain bearings which last decades. So far as materials are concerned stainless is the obvious choice and would also last decades.

You do understand that turbine technology has been around for decades and none of this is new don't you?. I built a tesla turbine and never had any issues.

The only real hurdle is efficiency and people not doing enough research on any given technology. The Tesla turbine is not an impulse or reaction turbine but a special class of drag based turbine. That is the efficiency is based on the momentum exchange between the fluid and rotor surface. As the working fluid spirals inward it experiences a decreasing rotor velocity. This allows the fluid to exit at a minimal velocity increasing the total momentum exchange and efficiency. The rotor diameter should be matched to the inlet velocity of the working fluid and rotor rpm so it can make a smooth transition and avoid turbulence.

Regards
AC

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”― Richard P. Feynman

On the Tesla Turbine

The problem with turbines is that there is only one "match point" where all the design variables align with the inlet velocity/rotor load. Anything outside this narrow region and efficiency starts falling quickly. On average I needed twenty pages of calculations to find the match point of a relatively simple single stage gas turbine so I wrote my own software. Keep in mind this was 25 years ago and turbine tech has come a long way.

Today it's easier and with a Tesla turbine, since the inlet pressure determines the inlet nozzle velocity and the inlet nozzle/rotor velocity relative to the load determines efficiency we can automate the process. We monitor inlet pressure(inlet velocity), rotor rpm(linear velocity) ie. (Delta V = momentum exchange) versus load and then change the nozzle opening/geometry with a servo control. I would run a modified MPPT program to track input (Delta V)versus load and simply follow the efficiency curve instead of power. Any fool can make power but running at the highest possible efficiency is a completely different story. As I said, there is only one match point where power or efficiency peak within a given set of operating variables.

Regards
AC

If compressed air is used to run the Tesla turbine, IMO a properly designed convergent-divergent nozzle will be much suitable than a simple convergent nozzle.

Conrad
As an Engineer who has designed, built and operated both steam and gas turbines... I can safely say your talking nonsense.

All high speed bearing applications use oil or air levitated plain bearings which last decades. So far as materials are concerned stainless is the obvious choice and would also last decades.

You do understand that turbine technology has been around for decades and none of this is new don't you?. I built a tesla turbine and never had any issues.

The only real hurdle is efficiency and people not doing enough research on any given technology. The Tesla turbine is not an impulse or reaction turbine but a special class of drag based turbine. That is the efficiency is based on the momentum exchange between the fluid and rotor surface. As the working fluid spirals inward it experiences a decreasing rotor velocity. This allows the fluid to exit at a minimal velocity increasing the total momentum exchange and efficiency. The rotor diameter should be matched to the inlet velocity of the working fluid and rotor rpm so it can make a smooth transition and avoid turbulence.

Regards
AC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTBgEnzuvUo&lc=Ugy9LnN-K0d6ep9-oCB4AaABAg.9QmuYPo27Vg9QveHV_aOSf
Read the reply from the maker of the video in the comment section kindly.

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-03-29, 13:18:18