PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-03-29, 05:49:44
News: A feature is available which provides a place all members can chat, either publicly or privately.
There is also a "Shout" feature on each page. Only available to members.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Dr. Stiffler SEC circuits  (Read 93598 times)
Group: Ambassador

Those that have followed  OU Know the Frog [Hoptoad].
He don't take wooden Nickles! EVER!

The Docs Stock is climbing by the minute!
And Ben ,He's all about open source!

Chet

Group: Guest
Hi All,

It's my 1st post here. Permit me a little digression. I have duplicated today the Stiffler's experiment of electrolysis with a diode immersed in a water tube and an external ring electrode powered by HF. It works. My frequencies were in the range between 3 and 24 Mhz, using a radio transmitter. The minimum voltage was 100v. I could even get it from a LC circuit powered by an ordinary 12v/1W generator. For me it is a conventional setup. The gradient of voltage in the water creates a difference of potential at the terminals of the diode, which rectifies the current.

Power is provided by the generator. It is not free. Nevertheless this put me in a certain degree of confidence in Stiffler's matter, so I'm now on the way to duplicate his 3 coils stuff. But English is not my mother tongue, so I have some problems to fully understand the comments of the video.

Can some one explains what is the difference between the black coil and the two others?

Thanks in advance

Here is my setup with the 3 coils connected as in K4ZEP video and powered by a HF generator around 16 Mhz. Nothing new: the 3 coils act as a single LC circuit, they don't much influence one each other, they can be moved and then the frequency has only to be a bit readjusted for resonance.
My explanation: the current is drawn from the generator. It finally flows from the LED to the ground via the terminal capacity that constitutes the LED, which is like a single capacitor plate coupled to the environment. Even though this capacitor is very weak (order of some pF), the high frequency and high voltage due to resonance is enough to light up the LED. The reason of resonance is that each coil constitutes a LC circuit due to the capacity between wire turns.
Next step: the 3 coils connected as stiffler did.

Welcome to the forum Exnihiloest!!!  I have read your postings in Over Unity and I can tell that you really know what you are talking about.  I am sure that you will make a valuable contribution to the discussions around here.

At least on this forum there is an opportunity to see both sides in the debate express their opinions.  Most of the time the debate is civil also.  If you read some of my recent postings addressed to Jeff, a.k.a. "Bit's-and-Bytes" the comments have gotten a bit tough.  The rhetoric is a bit strong there but that's not normally the case for me personally or for this forum in general.  In that particular debate there is some history related to Bedini's 10-coiler device.

Anyway, with that disclaimer out of the way, welcome to the forum and have fun!

MileHigh

Welcome to the forum Exnihiloest!!!  I have read your postings in Over Unity and I can tell that you really know what you are talking about.  I am sure that you will make a valuable contribution to the discussions around here.
MileHigh

Thank you very much, Milehigh.
I have been recently banned without notice from overunity.com after having criticized Ainslie's stuff and also Aspden, for lack of experimental evidence.
I searched for a better place and found out this forum yesterday. From what I read here, there are more serious people, having interesting discussions with a skeptic but open mind, i.e using questions, hypotheses, logic and real knowledge, which is for me the right method to progress about the different matters under study. So I'm pleased to be here.

Still "playing" with the 3 coils, I have not been able to light the LED without a generator. But if there is an ambiant EM field, the LED light up even though the 3 coils are not connected at all! A simple 15cm antenna connected to a transmitter and placed near the coils light up the LED (see photos).
The power was set to 5W, frequency around 24 Mhz, but the real radiated power is surely much less, because the antenna is very short and not tuned, and the AGC of the transmitter reacts by lowering the excitation to protect the PA.
Now in such a setup, the measurement of the in/out power seems to me quite impossible.

I have tried a configuration with a single coil and 2 diodes+LED connected at one end of the coil, the other end remaining open.
A near antenna provides the HF signal. Because of its proximity, it is capacitively coupled to the coil.

At the resonance, the signal level from the generator (at the antenna) is weaken. This is a proof that current has to be provided to light the LED, and the voltage decreases due to its drop in the internal output impedance of the generator (50 ohm).

The system works in the same way when the signal is directly connected to the end of the coil (that one which was open). Only the resonance has to be adjusted.

So my conclusion about Stiffler's circuit is the same as that from K4ZEP. A ground wire carries HF noise or spurious signals and when it it connected to the coil, these parasitic signals power the LED. We must remember that a ground wire never gives a real "zero" ground level for HF, because at high frequencies it has a not negligible impedance and can even constitute itself a resonant line at some frequencies, reinforcing signals from the power network or from EM waves for which it can act like an antenna.

In a last setup (see photo), 2 coils are put in series to make one with higher inductance, tuned with a ferrite around 30 Mhz, and 3 LED are connected at one end, the other is open. There is not much difference in the luminosity of the first LED when the two others are added. Rather than claiming FE  :D, I guess that in this case, more current is drawn from the generator but this has to be carefuly measured (not time to do it now).

Exnihiloest:

K4ZEP demonstrated that he could light just a single LED to a very low illumination level.  That makes sense with respect to your comments about picking up ambient RF energy, etc.

In contrast, Mr. Stiffler managed to light up a very large matrix of white LEDs to a very high illumination level indicating quite high power levels.  I suspect that his "ground lead" was an active power source in this case.

That would imply intentional deception on his part.  Assuming that I am correct I have no idea why he would do this.  Certainly in this realm he has many willing and receptive viewers that will believe him.  There could be some psychological factors at play.

It makes me think of this new Ismael Aviso business with the "nearly free energy" electric car and his "MEG."  I watched him last night on an Internet video talk show being interviewed, and I watched the text chat at the same time.  He has no credibility and barely knows what he is talking about.  I could sense that he was improvising his responses to various technical questions.  The people in the text chat were mostly fanboys and they didn't seem to have the same impression as me.  I think that he is just a money scammer soliciting PayPay donations.

I don't get a sense that Mr. Stiffler wants people's money.  However for both of them I suspect that there are psychological factors at play with respect to notoriety and being the center of attention.

MileHigh

I don't get a sense that Mr. Stiffler wants people's money.  However for both of them I suspect that there are psychological factors at play with respect to notoriety and being the center of attention.

MileHigh

Stiffler's a strange one. My only experience with him was not a particularly good one... in fact it ended rather badly. 

I get the impression that he likes to be in control, he like to be the provided the explanations and the answers. So when I explained the operation of his wireless electrolysis, he was not at a happy chappy.  All I did was offer a scientific explanation for how his wireless electrolysis was working, and too be honest I think I was spot on, but he didn't take kindly to my input.  Initially he just blanked me, which I found a little puzzling, then he became all cocky, clearly displaying his arrogance.

He insisted that only hydrogen was being produced - I insisted it wasn't. He insisted that it was due to some magical energy originating from his SEC - I insisted it wasn't.  In fact I and others went on to create exactly the same effect with a basic Joule Thief!  Needless to say I eventually got under his skin and he through a real wobbly.... and I told him where to stick his SEC!  :)  Yet another, 'his way or the highway' personality.

Exnihiloest:

K4ZEP demonstrated that he could light just a single LED to a very low illumination level.  That makes sense with respect to your comments about picking up ambient RF energy, etc.

In contrast, Mr. Stiffler managed to light up a very large matrix of white LEDs to a very high illumination level indicating quite high power levels.  I suspect that his "ground lead" was an active power source in this case.

That would imply intentional deception on his part.  Assuming that I am correct I have no idea why he would do this.  Certainly in this realm he has many willing and receptive viewers that will believe him.  There could be some psychological factors at play.

It makes me think of this new Ismael Aviso business with the "nearly free energy" electric car and his "MEG."  I watched him last night on an Internet video talk show being interviewed, and I watched the text chat at the same time.  He has no credibility and barely knows what he is talking about.  I could sense that he was improvising his responses to various technical questions.  The people in the text chat were mostly fanboys and they didn't seem to have the same impression as me.  I think that he is just a money scammer soliciting PayPay donations.

MileHigh

Hi MileHigh

I share your opinion about Aviso and Stiffler. I have a bad impression about Aviso. His explanation (energy from ambiant EM fields in the 900 or 1800 Mhz range) is absurd both theoretically and related to his setup whose none component are designed to deal with such high frequencies. Then the experimental evidence has not yet been provided: we only see a light car powered by a battery. The fact that the energy supply for the motor, made by Aviso, has perhaps a better efficiency than a conventional one, doesn't prove there is OU. We have not even the exact method used by the DOE to test the machine.

Stiffler is very different. I think that Stiffler has only a little theoretical background, but a good practice, original ideas and he surely do not want people's money. He seems respectable. I enjoyed his electrolysis at a distance. It is a very beautiful idea and it works, even if the explanation is fully compatible with conventional physics. Now what is going wrong with his "LED powered by ground"? One hypothesis is that there is an AM radio transmitter or other HF source in the vicinity. There is also the possibility of a current between two different ground points (for example I have some voltage between the ground of my probe, which is provided by the earth connection of the oscilloscope, and an other direct earth connection that I use for my radio transmitter).

On my side, as I'm not able to light up a single LED from the ground only, I will try soon to increase my number of LED, see how many I can light up with my generator radiating near the coil,  and check the relation with the current that is drawn from my generator.

He insisted that only hydrogen was being produced - I insisted it wasn't. He insisted that it was due to some magical energy originating from his SEC - I insisted it wasn't.  In fact I and others went on to create exactly the same effect with a basic Joule Thief!  Needless to say I eventually got under his skin and he through a real wobbly.... and I told him where to stick his SEC!  :)  Yet another, 'his way or the highway' personality.

I confirm, Farrah Day, you are right. Oxygen and hydrogen are produced. I also experimented his funny electrolysis and I clearly saw bubles on both diode electrodes. In my setup I used a generator powering a resonant coil.
I'm disappointed to hear that Stiffler doesn't accept with kindness, obvious experimental evidence that one can let him know.

I confirm, Farrah Day, you are right. Oxygen and hydrogen are produced. I also experimented his funny electrolysis and I clearly saw bubles on both diode electrodes. In my setup I used a generator powering a resonant coil.
I'm disappointed to hear that Stiffler doesn't accept with kindness, obvious experimental evidence that one can let him know.

What Stiffler didn't realise - and wouldn't accept - was that the oxygen was immediately bonding with the tin coating of the one diode leg and so produced an oxide rather than evolving as gas.  This was quite obvious really as a precipitation was clearly evident, dropping off the leg and to the bottom of the test tube.

But what I found odd for someone that creates some great experiments and seems so thorough, was his rather shaky grasp of the science.  He even told me that the science was of no interest to him and was unimportant!  Given he thought he'd discovered some great new way of producing hydrogen extremely efficiently and indeed was telling everyone to download his video and save it so the government could not block and hide it, I found his attitude a little puzzling to say the least. But it's a funny old world, ain't it!

What Stiffler didn't realise - and wouldn't accept - was that the oxygen was immediately bonding with the tin coating of the one diode leg and so produced an oxide rather than evolving as gas.  This was quite obvious really as a precipitation was clearly evident, dropping off the leg and to the bottom of the test tube.

Same observation, especially when the voltage is high. I reduced the current when I saw the phenomenon, to not destroy the electrode wire with the oxidation.

But what I found odd for someone that creates some great experiments and seems so thorough, was his rather shaky grasp of the science.  He even told me that the science was of no interest to him and was unimportant!  Given he thought he'd discovered some great new way of producing hydrogen extremely efficiently and indeed was telling everyone to download his video and save it so the government could not block and hide it, I found his attitude a little puzzling to say the least. But it's a funny old world, ain't it!

I share your impression!

Group: Tinkerer

Yes, it is indeed.

Have you noticed how certain truly brilliant people have
great difficulty with simple things?  It's almost as if their
minds are wired differently from the common folk.

Or, perhaps it is lack of real world experience;  living in
a self constructed cocoon of fantasy.

Does anyone know what Stiffler's social life is?

Introvert?  Extrovert?  Secluded?  Geek?

---------------------------
For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open.

@FarrahDay
He insisted that only hydrogen was being produced - I insisted it wasn't. He insisted that it was due to some magical energy originating from his SEC - I insisted it wasn't.
Wow that sounds like there was a whole lotta "insisting" going on in that conversation, how did that turn out for you?

In fact I and others went on to create exactly the same effect with a basic Joule Thief!  Needless to say I eventually got under his skin and he through a real wobbly.... and I told him where to stick his SEC!    Yet another, 'his way or the highway' personality.
Personally if I spent days developing a precision tuned circuit which may or may not produce precise field interactions having specific geometric relations and then someone threw together a JT circuit and called it the same thing, implied I was delusional and did not understand and then insisted I was wrong --- well yes I might get a little annoyed which is understandable don't you think?.

Regards
AC
« Last Edit: 2011-03-19, 00:29:05 by allcanadian »

Comprehend and Copy Nature... Viktor Schauberger

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”― Richard P. Feynman

@Dumped
Have you noticed how certain truly brilliant people have
great difficulty with simple things?  It's almost as if their
minds are wired differently from the common folk.

Or, perhaps it is lack of real world experience;  living in

Introvert?  Extrovert?  Secluded?  Geek?

Do you believe these personal insults and insinuations directed at Dr.Stiffler are in any way relative to a rational scientific debate of the technology?. Wow this forum is going downhill in a big hurry, I wonder when it will hit bottom?.
AC

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”― Richard P. Feynman

@Dumped
Do you believe these personal insults and insinuations directed at Dr.Stiffler are in any way relative to a rational scientific debate of the technology?. Wow this forum is going downhill in a big hurry, I wonder when it will hit bottom?.
AC

Those questions are not intended to be demeaning
in any way;  rather they are simply put forth as
possibilities which have been observed in some
who tend to exhibit odd and eccentric behavior.

This is not to infer that those are any less worthy
souls than those who are considered to be of the
"normal" behavior category.  All are worthy even
with their stark behavioral differences.

People are a most interesting scientific study.

Does not rational include oddities and their sources?

Some may be unsettled by such questions but there
is no rancor, no intent to demean.  Scientific curiosity.

For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open.

Personally if I spent days developing a precision tuned circuit which may or may not produce precise field interactions having specific geometric relations and then someone threw together a JT circuit and called it the same thing, implied I was delusional and did not understand and then insisted I was wrong --- well yes I might get a little annoyed which is understandable don't you think?.

Regards
AC

For certain behavioral types "annoyed" is understandable;
but not necessarily appropriate or indicative of mature
emotional response.

It would seem that his speculations were incorrect.

Hopefully he's recovered and come to his senses*.

[*  Stable, emotionally healthy state of mind absent all
resentment.  Capable of making sound observations and
arriving at sensible conclusions.]

@Dumped
It would seem that his speculations were incorrect.
Hopefully he's recovered and come to his senses*.
If you could point me to information regarding the the Stiffler circuit, it's exact replication and data to something resembling scientific standards I would be glad to review it and give my opinion on what is speculation and what is not.
Regards
AC

You are unfamiliar with Stiffler's work and his website?

@FarrahDayWow that sounds like there was a whole lotta "insisting" going on in that conversation, how did that turn out for you?

Regards
AC

Yep, there was a lot of insisting going on, and of course it didn't end at all well.  :)

AC, as per usual you take things far too personally, and you really have to have been there to understand the situation.  Once again you see insinuations and insults where I just see facts and straight-talking.  Is it really an insult to engage in conversation in an attempt to correct something that is plainly wrong or misleading? If we were all as politically correct, polite and pussy-footing as yourself, no one would ever say what was on their mind or what they really thought!

However, the point is that a simple JT was capable of producing exactly the same wireless electrolysis effect as Stiffler's fancy SEC.  What I'm alluding to has nothing at all to do with the difference in complexity of electronic circuits (or indeed anyone calling a JT a SEC), rather simply the fact that both were capable of achieving the very same effect. 

As clever as Stiffler may be with his electronics, when it came to the chemistry, he made a lot of very wrong assumptions. And when I tried to discuss this with him he got all arsey - simple as that!

On my side, as I'm not able to light up a single LED from the ground only, I will try soon to increase my number of LED, see how many I can light up with my generator radiating near the coil,  and check the relation with the current that is drawn from my generator.

You may wish to try grounding one side of your VHF spike generator through ........ maybe the scope and scope probe shield circuit.

Then, ground one side of your simple radio signal detector (AV plug with LEDs acting as diodes). If grounding one side doesn't work just connect one or both sides to a common poor conductor, like water, which has some volume or mass (increased capacitive coupling).

If the LEDs don't have enough current to light they should light simply because they are in a strong RF field. After all, electrophosphorescence only requires being within an electric field. It doesn't always require current flow. It depends on the LED type and design.

Has anyone seen him light LEDS of other colors or types?

I just blow-off any such experiment displaying results with blue, blue-white or so-called 'white' LEDs. You can cut the leads completely off and most will still light while in a strong RF field.

An OLED of any color should work this way to some extent but the ones which also produce ultraviolet light, blues to white types, are most sensitive to changing electric fields.

After playing with all sort of resonant circuits and increasing up to 6 my number of LEDs is series (2 green+ 2 red + 2 yellow), I observe that in any case, the cause of the effect is a capacitive coupling between each coil end and either the generator or the ground. The longer the coils, the wider their conductor surface and their ability to capacitive coupling.  In any case, despite the appearance of an open circuit, the circuit is closed.
Current is drawn from the generator. When a resistance is placed in series with the generator output, the voltage drops.
It is easy to measure the power drawn from the generator by connecting 2 probes to this resistance terminals, measuring the voltage drop by using the oscilloscope in differential mode. From the voltage, we get the current with I=dU/R (dU being the voltage at the resistance) and the power by P=U*I. The power in the LEDs is always less than that provided by the generator.

I analyse such a device as an impedance adapter. The very high impedance at one end of the coil allows a very weak displacement current in air by capacitive effects, but due the high voltage and frequency (I can get up to 400V from a 15v generator) this current is enough to pass a power able to light several LEDs.

Last experiment
The higher the Q of the circuit, the higher the effect. So I had the idea to use a quartz crystal instead of a LC circuit. A quartz crystal has a much higher Q than an ordinary LC circuit.
An aluminum plate plays the role of the ground (it can be also directly connected to the ground, with just a little shift of the resonant frequency. On the photos, it is not). A quartz crystal of 2150 Khz is connected to this plate, and on the other side, to the classical circuit with 2x 1N4148 and the LED (see photo QuartzLed1.jpg). As there is no coil and the quartz is small, we lost the wide conductor surface acting as a capacity and have only a narrow separation between the two ends of the circuit, so I had to add a terminal capacity which is an iron sphere painted in blak (see QuartzLed2.jpg).
The signal from a transmitter is provided by a short "antenna" (which is not really an antenna), near the sphere capacity. It is to be emphasized that radiated HF is negligible due to the inefficiency of the antenna wich is far from being tuned to the wave length (around 20 cm, when a quater wave length of a tuned antenna would require 37 mtrs). So we work in the quasistatic approximation, meaning there is no propagation phenomena in air or along the conductors whose dimensions are too small in comparison with the wavelength, no plane wave, only an electric field.
We see that this setup lights also a LED. The signal must be very stable. A shift of +/-500Hz switch off the LED. In brief, I didn't see any anomalous results.

@FarrahDay
AC, as per usual you take things far too personally, and you really have to have been there to understand the situation.  Once again you see insinuations and insults where I just see facts and straight-talking.  Is it really an insult to engage in conversation in an attempt to correct something that is plainly wrong or misleading? If we were all as politically correct, polite and pussy-footing as yourself, no one would ever say what was on their mind or what they really thought!

You know us Damn Canadians, we are so neutral it verges on the absurd sometimes but this is not always a bad thing. I also have a keen interest in psychology and etymology as simple words in the right context often define a thought or intent. For example here were some words Dumped used in a prior post-----

Or, perhaps it is lack of real world experience;  living in
Introvert?  Extrovert?  Secluded?  Geek?

Now we can pussyfoot around the issue all we want and claim these are simple questions not directed at anyone in particular but I think all of us know better than that, we understand perfectly well the silly word games some people play myself included. To say otherwise is simply an insult to everyones intelligence, the intent was perfectly defined by the words that were chosen and the context. Which is odd isn't it? that a person has to degrade or demean others to justify their point of view rather than have it stand on it's own merit.

However, the point is that a simple JT was capable of producing exactly the same wireless electrolysis effect as Stiffler's fancy SEC.  What I'm alluding to has nothing at all to do with the difference in complexity of electronic circuits (or indeed anyone calling a JT a SEC), rather simply the fact that both were capable of achieving the very same effect.  

My point is simple as well, you say the JT was capable of producing exactly the same wireless electrolysis effect as Stiffler's fancy SEC but was this based on simple observation, that is the fact that a circuit can produce bubbles in water, or science? What was the waveform produced by each circuit, what is the difference between them, what was the electrode material, what was the cell material, what was the geometry of the apparatus, what role did field interactions play, what was the field measurement in each, what was the electrode potential, what was the potential across the cell, what gasses evolved, what was the gas composition, what was the volume of gas?. You see when a person tells me they can produce some bubbles in water just like someone else this tells me very little if nothing and does not constitute scientific method in my opinion because there are no real facts other than that we have some bubbles at an electrode in some water. I guess one question we could ask is that if we hold all others to the rigid standards of scientific method and concrete facts should we not be bound to these same standards? If you could provide me with your technical procedure and all the data you have collected I am sure I might think otherwise but until that time Im not inclined to believe you have proven anything conclusively.
Regards
AC

exnihiloest,

Careful!

I imagine you know that IC-751 doesn't like badly matched loading.

Also, your analysis is spot-on, in my opinion.

exnihiloest,

Careful!

I imagine you know that IC-751 doesn't like badly matched loading.

Also, your analysis is spot-on, in my opinion.

At 2Mhz, a 20 cm "antenna" is like an open circuit. The AGC reacts due to a heavy level of stationary waves, and reduces the power to the minimum. No risk, this transceiver is extremely robust. I have it for many years and never burnt the PA in spite all sorts of mismatches.
I could also light the LED with an ordinary HF generator (1W), but mine is not synthetized so it is not stable enough to lock the signal onto the quartz frequency.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-03-29, 05:49:44