PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2018-05-22, 22:27:19
News: If you have a suggestion or need for a new board title, please PM the Admins.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The war on Science  (Read 1171 times)

I stumbled onto this article while surfin the net and found it interesting, http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/06/02/DDGS0INI811.DTL, I have always had an interest in psychology and why we silly humans do the things we do. Here is a quote from the article:

I think several things are coming together. The first is the unannounced, perhaps even unacknowledged, war on curiosity. The second is the equally unacknowledged war on risk. The third is pervasive fear, most often described as a fear of terrorists, but really a fear of anything surprising, exotic or hard to understand. Since science demands both curiosity and risk, and since a lot of science is hard to understand (particularly if you did not try to learn about science because it seemed risky and you were not curious), the prevailing cultural trends have combined to form an unannounced but potent war on science.

I think this article applies in many ways to what we are seeing in the forums as well as society in general where fear-mongering is rampant in the mainstream media. There is also a disturbing trend towards intolerance and the questioning of any form of authority, thankfully it's all cowboys and riggers up here in Canada and we just don't give a shit nor do we have time to be afraid of much of anything,lol.

Regards
AC

Whenever two people meet, there are really six people present. There is each man as he sees himself, each man as the other person sees him, and each man as he really is. --William James

---------------------------
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

There is infinitely more that we do not know, than we know.

Good analysis!  There does indeed seem to be some sort of
"psychology" at work.

The Open Minded lot seem very flexible and accepting of
numerous potential possibilities.

The Closed Minded lot seem to be infected with some sort
of zeal which compels them to "convert" all who may differ
to join their belief system.

Thankfully, here in my homeland, La-La Land, the folk are of
the Open Minded lot and life is good!  Behavior Modification
will not take hold...

The Inner Sanctum...

---------------------------
"Truth: the most deadly weapon ever discovered by humanity. Capable of destroying entire perceptual sets, cultures, and realities. Outlawed by all governments everywhere. Possession is normally punishable by death." - John Gilmore (1935- ) Author

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2018-05-22, 22:27:19