PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-05-18, 07:39:45
News: If you have a suggestion or need for a new board title, please PM the Admins.
Please remember to keep topics and posts of the FE or casual nature. :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Author Topic: Where i'm at 1+1=3  (Read 14497 times)

The chatGDP reply in post #120 tells youSo you use the dynamometer scales to calculate the torque in the type of dynamometer displayed in the image.  It does not display the torque.  I don't know whether there are dynamometers that enable you to put in the RPM and radius data so that the display does show a torque, but the scales shown will show a force value.

Smudge

Thank you sir.
bi

Group: Administrator

It's not as complicated as it may seem...
I hope that with Brad's next response or two we can close this matter and continue focusing on the replication.

Otherwise, maybe this debate on force and torque theory could be moved to a separate topic, as I am not sure of the specific relevance of this debate?

---------------------------
"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." Frank Zappa

Group: Elite Experimentalist

Buy me some coffee
The chatGDP reply in post #120 tells youSo you use the dynamometer scales to calculate the torque in the type of dynamometer displayed in the image.  It does not display the torque.  I don't know whether there are dynamometers that enable you to put in the RPM and radius data so that the display does show a torque, but the scales shown will show a force value.

Smudge

Yas, as is in my graphs, and as i have always said.
The force value on the scales is showing the value of torque that is being applied to the belt, by the outer rim of the brake drum.
Between the belt and the drum, the radius value is 0, so the scales indicate the actual value of torque the rotating brake drum is applying to the belt.
The rotating drum applies a torque onto the belt, because it is rotating, and a rotating force is torque. The belt applies a force on the scales, because it is not rotating, and the force between the belt and scales is linear.
If you wish to know the torque value at the center of rotation( from the motor), you then include the radius value from center of axis to the outer rim of the brake drum, providing that the center of axis is actually the torque provider. With a pulse motor, the center of axis-the shaft, is fixed, and does not provide or deliver any torque at all.

I claimed the graphs show a torque curve, which they do.
Bistander claims the graphs do not show torque, so they must not show a torque curve.
I gave him the radius he wanted, and asked him to provide his own graphs based around all the measurements provided, so as we could compare graphs.
He has so far not done this simple exercise, and provided the graphs, thus providing zero proof that my graphs do not show a torque curve.

The chatGDP reply in post #120 tells you So

Asking chatPT straight forward questions

Q- does the brake drum in a prony brake test, apply a torque or a force onto the belt that is attached to the scales. straight forward answer please
A-In a Prony brake test, the brake drum applies a torque onto the belt, which in turn creates a force measured by the scales. So, the brake drum applies a torque.

Q- How then do we calculate the torque value of the motor attached to the brake drum
A- To calculate the torque value of the motor attached to the brake drum in a Prony brake test, you would typically measure the force applied by the belt on the scales and the radius of the brake drum.

Full unedited screen shot below.

So, the rotating drum applies a !torque! onto the belt. The belt then applies a !force! onto the scales.
So the scale are showing the value of the !torque! being applied to the belt, by way of applying a force onto the scales.
Then, as you can see, we have to carry out further calculations to get the newton meters or feet pound of torque of the motor (center of axis)

My graphs show the value of torque being applied to the belt, by way of the force being applied to the scales, as clearly indicated in the torque curve graphs.
Diagram attached.

Anyone is welcome to prove me wrong, but do so by providing proof, by way of your own graphs, not word salad, based around the supplied data.(rotor radius is 100mm)
If your torque curve graph then turns out to have a different torque curve, you can teach me where I went wrong.
So the onus is on you Bistander, to provide your own graphs, and compare to mine, as you are the one saying my graphs do not show a torque, and so they also must not show a torque curve
I think that is only fair, as this is the way this forum works, and always has.
If you think someone is wrong, provide proof that they are.

Brad
« Last Edit: 2024-04-01, 03:10:51 by TinMan »

Never let your schooling get in the way of your education.

Buy me some coffee

author=poynt99 link=topic=4603.msg111215#msg111215 date=1711906073
I hope that with Brad's next response or two we can close this matter and continue focusing on the replication.

Otherwise, maybe this debate on force and torque theory could be moved to a separate topic, as I am not sure of the specific relevance of this debate?

Between my last post, and this one-yes, lets hope that those that do not understand, finally do.

First lets clear this up.
Bistander said-No, the scales display a force value. .

Yes, the scales show a force value, as clearly indicated in my graphs, and i have never said they dont.-see below.
What i did say was-the scales show the value of the applied torque, by way of the value of force being imparted on the scales.
In my last post chatGPT clearly showed i was correct.

Bistander said-The torque value isn't known until the moment arm is considered

If you wish to know the value of torque of the motor driving the drum, then yes, you need the moment arm considered.
If you wish to know the torque value the rotating drum is applying to the belt, then the moment arm value is 0, as there is no distance between the belt and rotating drum.
So the scales actually show the value of the torque being applied to the belt, by the rotating drum, by way of applying a force to the scales, by the belt.

Now, how is a stall torque of a motor calculated ?
I will ask chatGPT this very question, although i am sure the mechanically minded already know-well most anyway.

Q-if a set of scales is attached to the outer perimeter of a rotor, that is attached to a dc motor, can this measure the stall torque value of the motor.
A-
Yes, attaching scales to the outer perimeter of a rotor connected to a DC motor can potentially measure the stall torque value of the motor indirectly. When the motor stalls, it means that the torque being applied by the motor is equal to the opposing torque (usually frictional or resisting torque). At this point, the rotor stops rotating, and the scales attached to it will measure the force exerted on them due to this opposing torque.

However, it's essential to consider some factors:

Sensitivity and Calibration: The scales need to be sensitive enough to measure the small force exerted during stalling accurately. Also, the scales need to be properly calibrated to provide accurate measurements.

Mechanical Design: The attachment of scales to the rotor should be robust and stable to ensure accurate measurement without any unwanted movement or deformation.

Safety: It's crucial to ensure that the setup is safe and that there is no risk of the rotor or any other component causing harm during stall testing.

Interpretation:
The force measured by the scales will need to be converted into torque units using the appropriate conversion factor based on the distance from the center of the rotor to the point of force application
.[/glow]

This is how stall torque is calculated when the shaft of the motor is what is delivering the torque, so the radious between the center of the shaft delivering the torque, to the point where the scales are attached, must be known to calculate the torque value.

But with a pulse motor, such as the ones we were testing, has a fixed shaft at the center of axis, and does not provide any torque to the rotor.
With a pulse motor, the torque imparted onto the rotor, is applied to the outer edge of the rotor, via the Lorents force-as Bistander stated.
The scales are also attached to the outer edge of the rotor, and so they are attached to the same radius value as the applied torque is attached to.
The R value is there for 0, and so, like in a prony brake test, the scales show the value of the applied torque, by way of a force being applied to the scales.
Once again, see screen shot below showing this clearly explained by chatGPT.

This is how torque is calculated on the outer rim of a pulse motor that has a fixed shaft, where the scales are attached to the same radius point at which the torque is applied to the rotor.
The torque value is not calculated at the center of axis, as the shaft at the center of axis is fixed, and does not provide torque to the rotor.
If you did include R from the center of axis to the point at which the scales are attached, you have just calculated the torque value of a fixed shaft that does not and cannot provide torque.

So, i would like you all to think about this, and just ask yourself-how do you calculate the torque being imparted by the Lorentz force on the outer edge of the rotor of a pulse motor, where that pulse motor has a fixed shaft that does not provide or have a torque imparted on it ?

I have provided the graphs and direct answer to direct questions for chatGPT
It has been clearly explained by both myself and chatGPT.

So yes Poynt, i hope this solves this disagreement.

Brad

Group: Professor

Guys,

The entire force vs. torque debate is academic.

Brad's graph of Force vs. Distance has the same shape as a graph of Torque vs. Angular displacement.
The area under the curve in both graphs represents the same work/energy (expressed in Joules) - not power, as time does not figure into it.

Torque can exist without angular displacement if it is opposed by equal yet opposite torque.
Force can exist without linear displacement if it is opposed by equal yet opposite force.
In both of these cases the work done by them is exactly zero, despite them having a non-zero and measurable magnitude as well as direction.

Brad's experimental method of converting torque to linear force by unwinding a string from a circumference is correct, because it guarantees that this force is always applied perpendicularly to the radius (i.e.: tangentially). Multiplying that force by that radius yields the torque. Dividing that torque by the radius gives back the force, making them interconvertible, albeit not the same.

Brad's work/energy measurement methodology is valid. His axis labels (and units) are wrong for a Torque vs. Angle graph ...but it does not matter for the end result.   The final units are correct and energy calculation - the same.

Force is not energy.
Torque is not energy.
They need to be integrated over distance and angular displacement, respectively, to become so. Brad is doing that.

P.S.
The force of magnetic attraction is proportional to the gradient of magnetic flux density, not to the flux density itself ...albeit the former usually follows from the latter. Nonlinear ferromagnetic effects such as saturation can disturb that proportionality.
« Last Edit: 2024-04-01, 10:06:26 by verpies »

Buy me some coffee
Guys,

The entire force vs. torque debate is academic.

Brad's graph of Force vs. Distance has the same shape as a graph of Torque vs. Angular displacement.
The area under the curve in both graphs represents the same work/energy (expressed in Joules) - not power, as time does not figure into it.

Torque can exist without angular displacement if it is opposed by equal yet opposite torque.
Force can exist without linear displacement if it is opposed by equal yet opposite force.
In both of these cases the work done by them is exactly zero, despite them having non-zero and measurable magnitude as well as direction.

Brad's experimental method of converting torque to linear force by unwinding a string from a circumference is correct, because it guarantees that this force is always perpendicular the the radius. Multiplying that force by that radius yields the torque. Dividing that torque by the radius gives back the force, making them interconvertible, albeit not the same.

Brad's work/energy measurement methodology is valid. His axis labels (and units) are wrong for a Torque vs. Angle graph ...but it does not matter for the end result.   The final units are correct and energy calculation - the same.

Force is not energy.
Torque is not energy.
They need to be integrated over distance and angular displacement, respectively, to become so. Brad is doing that.

P.S.
The force of magnetic attraction is proportional to the gradient of magnetic flux density, not to the flux density itself ...albeit the former usually follows from the latter. Ferromagnetic effects such as saturation can disturb that proportionality.

Thank you Verpies.

Buy me some coffee
Ok, an update on replication progress.

As I have been laid up in bed mostly, over the last 5 days with the wu flu,  have been spending time on the computer, as you might well be able to tell.
But I have also been redesigning the neutralizing gate for the different size gears I have switch to- the ones posted here some time back. The other gears teeth were too fine, and stripped out quite quickly.
The new gears are a bit smaller in diameter, so as I could reduce the magnet spacing a bit.

Below is some pics of the old gate, which is quite complex to get tuned correctly.
Being able to see where improvements can be made, the new gate is different.
Being that the gears are smaller now, the old gate did not fit between the gears in the correct spot, so a new design had to be made anyway.
Worst case scenario is, i have to reprint the original gears again, but make the teeth a bit larger.

Once i am well enough, i will be back out into the workshop to perfect the new gate, and make sure it works as good as the last model.

Please also know that I am in no hurry to rush this through.
I have been sitting on this for some time now, and i am going to make sure i stick to my plan as to how this is delivered to those here.
The upscale model that will be my final product, has a repelling force of 4kg between the magnets, so plastic printed parts are not going to cut it.
I chatted with Grumage about getting some geared drums casted up, and machined. This would have been a very time consuming project, as well as costly.
It would also have meant that it would be hard for the  average home builder to manufacture, so i set about finding an off the shelf solution.
Also pictured below is the off the shelf gears i will be using in the final product. This makes the build a little easier for everyone.
Please do not rush out buying parts until a replication has been confirmed by the member here building it.

I will keep you all updated as progress continues, and do my best to piece this together using off the shelf parts.

Brad

I'd like to warn you that conductive gears will disrupt dynamic magnetic fields because of the eddy currents induced in them.
They will not disrupt static magnetic fields ...unless they are ferromagnetic (e.g. steel).

The argument that the magnets rotate with the gear and thus the gear does not experience a changing magnetic flux is true but half-baked since one metal gear WILL experience a changing magnetic flux from the moving magnets attached to the OTHER gear.

Ground ceramic gears are a solution to this problem (see here) ...if this is a problem at all because the device's operation relies on undisturbed dynamic magnetic fields and can tolerate some eddy braking (which in the best case scenario will act as a speed governor).

Also pictured below is the off the shelf gears i will be using in the final product.

Buy me some coffee
I'd like to warn you that conductive gears will disrupt dynamic magnetic fields because of the eddy currents induced in them.
They will not disrupt static magnetic fields ...unless they are ferromagnetic (e.g. steel).

The argument that the magnets rotate with the gear and thus the gear does not experience a changing magnetic flux is true but half-baked since one metal gear WILL experience a changing magnetic flux from the moving magnets attached to the OTHER gear.

Ground ceramic gears are a solution to this problem (see here) ...if this is a problem at all because the device's operation relies on undisturbed dynamic magnetic fields and can tolerate some eddy braking (which in the best case scenario will act as a speed governor).

At 1000rpm, the frequency of any induce flux into the rotors, is 100hz
This is where 1 magnet of 1 rotor is directly opposite the other apposing magnet on the other rotor-TDC.
But even when these two combining fields meet, they are still rotating with the rotors, so there should be very minimal drag via induced eddy currents.

With this motor, the torque output is almost smooth.
Even though the two opposing magnets get further apart through the rotation, and the repulsion force drops, the radius of the moment arm (so to speak) increases at the same rate as the repulsion force decreases.

BTW, it is a bit hard to weld to ceramics.  ;D

Brad

Hello
You can glue it. Or a metal gear with a greater distance to the magnet. I think that's the least of the problems. Are the magnets in the gate also 10mm ?
Greeting
Lota

Hello
You can glue it...
Yes, gluing the magnet holder to a ceramic gear with an epoxy resin containing ceramic powder/filler makes a very strong and reliable bond.  Machineable, too.

Group: Renaissance Man

Buy me a cigar
I personally cannot wait for the extra parts to arrive. Just hoping that my current situation allows me to put the device together. I managed to make a brew today without spilling anything lol. There’s hope!  ;D

On eBay there are many Chinese outlets for gears, MOD 1 & 2 being very popular in both straight and helically cut forms. There’s also material choice too. Nylon is a really tough, hard wearing material and having a ‘ proper ‘ tooth form should run well with adequate lubrication.

When Alan gets back home I shall ask him to redraw the current design in Alibre and provide a new file for printing. We shall use a Module pitch gear profile and helical form.

Thanks again Brad….  O0

Nanny state ? Left at the gate !! :)

Nylon is a really tough, hard wearing material and having a ‘ proper ‘ tooth form should run well with adequate lubrication.
...but you can forget about gluing the magnet holder to a Nylon or Delrin gear.  Epoxy resins make very solid bonds to ceramics but not to Nylon. The only chemicals that I know of which can "bite" Nylon are Xylenol and Meta Cresol - and they are very nasty.

Buy me some coffee
...but you can forget about gluing the magnet holder to a Nylon or Delrin gear.  Epoxy resins make very solid bonds to ceramics but not to Nylon. The only chemicals that I know of which can "bite" Nylon are Xylenol and Meta Cresol - and they are very nasty.

Think i will stick with the aluminum camshaft gears.
1- i can weld stuff to them
2- if they can drive a camshaft for 400,000 miles and more, then they will be fine with the motor.
3- They have some weight to them, so will act as flywheels as well, and remove most of the vibration/cogging.
4- easy to machine.
5- off the shelf
6- reasonably priced

Brad

Buy me some coffee
I hate to ask, but--

Is there anyone on this forum that can simulate a magnet motor design ?
I need a simulated confirmation.
Need all my eggs in one basket

Brad

Hello
may work with Algodoo. Magnets but difficult. It's better to build. The printer prints.
Greeting
Lota

Group: Private Brad's PMM v2.0

Hi Brad,

I've already been simulating what you have shared of your magnet motor in FEMM 4.2 based on the dimensions in your STL files, which I've 3D printed and built.  Since you have not posted your gate details, which appear to be the secret sauce, I've only been guessing at different gate designs.  But I have a framework for simulation in place.

FEMM 4.2 calculates torques for static configurations. So I advance the gears incrementally, recording torques at each increment, and sum over a full revolution.  But you can make the increments as tiny as you wish to improve resolution.

FEMM 4.2 is only 2D, however.  And from the posting of your old gate housing, which is 3D, an exact mapping would not be possible.  Often, it is possible to translate the third dimension into the plane for simulations, however.     

Regardless, I'm enthusiastic to help in any way I can.  The world needs this immediately.  Thank you sincerely for your willingness to open source it.  I so hope you get it out before you are suppressed. 

Buy me some coffee
author=Beginners Mind link=topic=4603.msg111277#msg111277 date=1712034480
 Thank you sincerely for your willingness to open source it.  I so hope you get it out before you are suppressed.

Not my first trip down this rabbit hole.
Measures outside the scope of surveillance have been put in place to make sure it is delivered to the people, should I go on some sort of !field! trip. O0

Brad

Group: Private Brad's PMM v2.0

Not my first trip down this rabbit hole.
Measures outside the scope of surveillance have been put in place to make sure it is delivered to the people, should I go on some sort of !field! trip. O0

Brad

Really glad to hear it.  Please let me know if I can be of assistance with the magnetic simulations you asked about. 
-Dave (BeginnersMind)

Group: Renaissance Man

Buy me a cigar
Post lady arrived bearing gifts….

Just the magnets to come.

Nanny state ? Left at the gate !! :)

Hello
I once constructed a gate. I don't know yet if it will work that way. The test will tell.
Greeting
Lota
P.S. I changed the file a bit. Metal tray is 4x10
« Last Edit: 2024-04-04, 07:08:15 by lota »

Buy me some coffee
The old Anet A8 printing flat out.
New larger gears for V2.
This is the presentation motor being built as I speak.

.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpm5PJsp6oA

Brad

Buy me some coffee
Ok, so the organization and a means to produce these motors inhouse is being sorted atm.
Being a public forum, with the undesirables being able to peak in for a look when ever they please, i won't get into any details.

I have a company near by that can cnc mill any type of gear drum I need from billet stock , at a size up to 1.2 meters lol. Don't think we will be needing that one for a while.

https://www.wagears.com.au/cnc-machining-2/

Found that TEMU sells all sorts of neo's cheap  O0

Things are coming along nicely  O0

Brad

Buy me some coffee
Well, 1 flying magnet was enough.
Time to print a shield stator plate.

Buy me some coffee
How to make an adjustable gate field, and contain the opposite field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sXmD5dm8S8

Brad

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-05-18, 07:39:45