PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-05-03, 05:20:05
News: If you have a suggestion or need for a new board title, please PM the Admins.
Please remember to keep topics and posts of the FE or casual nature. :)

Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Matt Jones' Challenge: Build this Tesla Switch. Schematic, Plans.. Is this IT?  (Read 35813 times)
Group: Guest
Matt Jones wrote on Energetic Forum: -

"And don't be scared to move on and run bigger loads, even on small setup 50 - 100 watts will show you something. Your pulling off the ground side in a potential based system C20 and all that really is not applicable."

Matt,

I've now corected my waveform and am getting a nice 12.50V on a lamp load of 2.2W (16.50v unloaded). I tried your suggestion above by connecting higher lamp loads - 4W, 20W and 75W. In each case the voltage increasingly dropped across the lamps as I expected. What have I missed?

Hoppy

"I'm sorry to here that after few runs you have decided its not going to work out.
I might be wrong on your intention but thats what I got from your post."

Matt,

Its early days for me to reach that conclusion! I have a working switch, so if you could give some detail on your procedure and method for carrying out your load comparison tests, then I can move forward to hopefully validate your results.

Hoppy

Sobakin wrote on Energetic Forum: -

"I was never program microcontrollers, but I feel that this variant will be correct too:"
---------------
main:
pulsout 2, 200
goto _delay ; this delay is for symmetric waveform
_delay:
pulsout 3, 200
goto main
---------------

I tried out this code and it does clean up my waveform considerably and I'm noticing a considerable improvement in overall performance. The leading edges of the pulses and the open circuit voltage from the transformer secondary has risen. Frequency is now 650Hz.

Hoppy

Hi all

Sorry I haven't posted answers to question but I don't feel its advantageous to the group to answer every little transformer and wire question that comes up.
I have already explained you need an laminated iron transformer, Hopefully in good shape, and wire that leaves you with 1 ohm or less of resistance in primaries.
After that you need to just take the leap of faith and get the job done. Only 2 things will happen.
The thing will work and you will see results that you can then study and modify upon.
The thing won't work well, in which case you can begin to trouble shoot and look further into how to improve your recipe.

Both of these things are what good researchers do.

I know that sounds hard but you have to understand.....
I did not sit around and ask people for nuance details.
I did not have concern as to whether mine is going to work or not. Fire and heat and cost, were not a concern.
I jumped into the process feet first and got the job done.

So if you do not understand what you are expected to do and see by now than I am sorry for ya. And as much I want everyone to make this work I know that is just not going to happen. Some of you in all rational have no buisness even touching a project like this.

The people who will make it work are the ones who spend less time typing and more time looking.

Everyone seems to be more than eager, but this is the moment in which that is not enough. Just get the thing running. Period.
Then worry about whether or not it runs good.

So again I am sorry if this sounds hard, but you have to understand why I set all this out. I wanted to find the researcher who got it up and running and immediately started looking to improve or take it further.
And those slots are filling up fast.
Soon I will not be here anymore because life is getting busy. Thats why I wrote the PDF.

So I truly hope some more replications come in and more efforts to improve get documented over the course of the next couple weeks.

On a side note. I have made changes to correct a few mistakes in the PDF. Details on a larger version are in the works but no date set for release as of yet.

Cheers
Matt

Hi Matt,

I'm a researcher that has it up and running and am looking to take it further. My problem at the moment is that I'm not sure what I should do to go forward. You have already told me that its very difficult to do an accurate load test comparison between on and off the TS, so I'm after finding out how you decided that it runs 4x to 8x better than a normal discharge by using your load test method and procedure.

Hoppy
« Last Edit: 2011-10-09, 14:40:01 by Hoppy »

Sobakin

Johns probably right about. I guess it didn't dawn on me. I don't use them and never have so I do not know first hand.

One thing you could try is measure the volt from 24 bank through the transformer. I am sure it will be high even after the switch's, maybe 22 volt or something.
You could then look at maybe wind a transformer with a higher resistance and see if that helps out.

One thing though I have seen from ya(I probably missed it), is your baseline? Have you done baseline test so you know how long it takes to discharge under normal conditions?

Matt

Matt,

How many batteries do you use in your baseline test and can you please say how you configure the batteries and carry out this test? I note that you have never used sealed lead acid batteries, so as you recommend 5-20A/hr batteries for the small switch what batteries did you use to test the small switch detailed in the PDF?

Hoppy

Pages: 1 [2]
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-05-03, 05:20:05