PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-05-02, 06:34:52
News: Registration with the OUR forum is by admin approval.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13
Author Topic: Using the Earth's vector magnetic potential  (Read 95767 times)

Group: Renaissance Man

Buy me a cigar
Dear TinselKoala.

Attached close up showing the joint between the two halves, far from perfect as you can see.

They are Stainless Steel and judging by the use of a powerful Neodymium magnet, beyond 304 but not quite 316. In other words slightly magnetic.

Here's the link on eBay. No mention of electroplating.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162176736075?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648&var=461150078748&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I haven't drilled one, no intention of either but they are " bang on " 50 mm diameter and weigh 22 grams so you should be able to calculate the thickness from that?

At £ 0.99 pence each here in the UK I couldn't even think about making my own !!

Cheers Graham.

---------------------------
Nanny state ? Left at the gate !! :)

Buy me a cigar
One for the mathematicians.

I've lost my dividing head tables book.

I have a 90:1 ratio drive into the head.

My division is 16.

I have four plates.

61, 56,52,50,44,43.

I need five full revolutions........ but how many holes?   ???

Hope you can help.

Cheers Graham.

Group: Experimentalist

One for the mathematicians.

I've lost my dividing head tables book.

I have a 90:1 ratio drive into the head.

My division is 16.

I have four plates.

61, 56,52,50,44,43.

I need five full revolutions........ but how many holes?   ???

Hope you can help.

Cheers Graham.

Gee that is an old timer... or maybe just a UK standard? Our here in the colonies the usual ratio is 40.

removed

OOPs Smudge is right... been awhile

Ron

Group: Moderator

Never used a dividing head, had to look it up in Wikipedia to find out about it.

By my calculations you get 4 degrees for each rotation of the hand crank, your 5 rotations give you 20 degrees.  You need 22.5 degrees for your division ratio of 16.  Hence the plate has to supply that extra 2.5 degrees which is 5/8th of a rotation of the handle.  So you use the plate with 64 holes where hole number 40 gives you 5/8th of a turn.  But you had better check this out as I could be wrong.

Smudge

Buy me a cigar
Never used a dividing head, had to look it up in Wikipedia to find out about it.

By my calculations you get 4 degrees for each rotation of the hand crank, your 5 rotations give you 20 degrees.  You need 22.5 degrees for your division ratio of 16.  Hence the plate has to supply that extra 2.5 degrees which is 5/8th of a rotation of the handle.  So you use the plate with 64 holes where hole number 40 gives you 5/8th of a turn.  But you had better check this out as I could be wrong.

Smudge

To coin a very old one!

Nice one Cyril.   O0

I managed to get 4 dots on a sample before the lack of " anchorage " threw everything off, made a perfect 90 degrees.

Ron.

Not an antique but Far Eastern origin, thanks for your input.

Cheers Graham.

If this thread is to get anywhere useful we need to investigate the use of electro-chemical means for getting high quantity of charge in or on a body.  The suggestion here is to create a half cell consisting of an electrode (e.g. magnesium) within an electrolyte (e.g. salt water), contained within a plastic container.  There will be an electrolytic action where positive ions will appear in the electrolyte leaving the electrode negatively charged and an equilibrium position will be reached with the ions clustered around the electrode.  If the negative charge on the electrode is suddenly removed we are left with positive charged ions in the electrolyte, and my feeling is this is a means to get high value charge temporarily present for a relatively low voltage pulse.   So the suggestion is to have this half cell suspended from the ceiling by a thin wire and to supply it with HV pulses of alternating polarity to see whether it endures force impulses along the E-W direction.  Image below.  Anyone up for this?

Smudge

Buy me a cigar
Dear Cyril.

I don't have the necessary " ingredients " for this " recipe " ....   ;)

" HV pulses of alternating polarity "

By what value of HV are you suggesting ?

Kind regards, Graham.

PS.  Mk3 rotor is all " piloted " out but I discovered that I hadn't got a 50 mm hole saw, ordered one today.

Hi Graham,

I don't really know what voltage but I guess between 100 and 1,000.  I think it needs perhaps a one shot impulse to start with to see if there is any effect.  Then it's a matter of repeating the shots in sync with the movement to try to pump the swings up to higher levels.  The alternate polarity is maybe needed at the opposite end of the swing so I see a manually switched pulser giving out those alternate polarity pulses.  If it does indeed work then you might need to build a wheel that incorporates half cells instead of your spheres.  Don't know whether stainless steel would make a good electrode.  If it does then maybe some plastic hemispheres placed over your spheres could contain some electrolyte.  Just thinking ahead.  Don't want to stop your work, looking forward to seeing your new wheel in action and seeing where that leads.

Best regards

Cyril 

Group: Elite

It's turtles all the way down
For some reason which I haven't yet figured out, I've been saving older style large size magnesium filled flashbulbs.

Would drilling a tiny hole and filling the bulb with saltwater work or does the magnesium need to be in a central core?

The casings are not glass, but some kind of plastic on some, so alternately a number of holes could be drilled in the casing and it can be immersed in a larger vessel with the saltwater.

A while back while doodling, I came up with a spark gap circuit that neatly gives plus or minus pulses from a single polarity supply. I'll see if I can locate it.

"Secrecy, secret societies and secret groups have always been repugnant to a free and open society"......John F Kennedy

ION,

There needs to be an electrical connection to the magnesium, perhaps the ignition filament already does that.  The shape of the magnesium is not important but its surface area is.  Looks like you could do a quick test with one of those bulbs.  I imagine they are not very heavy but the extra mass of the electrolyte might make the sideways deflection too small to detect.  Worth a try though.

Smudge

Buy me a cigar
Hi Cyril.

How about a thin rod of Lead wrapped with Sulphuric acid soaked blotting paper?

Cheers Graham.

Hi Graham,

Yes why not, that should work.  Better still to keep the weight down would be a piece of copper pipe that has been tinned.

Cyril

Buy me a cigar
Experiment update.

Ok, the new lightweight rotor is finished. I just need the other eight spheres to arrive......... Sooooooon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGG70XbLlXs

Cheers Graham.

Group: Elite

It's turtles all the way down
Experiment update.

Ok, the new lightweight rotor is finished. I just need the other eight spheres to arrive......... Sooooooon.

Cheers Graham.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VkrUG3OrPc
« Last Edit: 2017-03-23, 19:55:59 by ION »

"Secrecy, secret societies and secret groups have always been repugnant to a free and open society"......John F Kennedy

Group: Professor

Everyman decries immorality
How Weight Affects Acceleration - English Units

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0I5d8Z41N0

How does weight affect acceleration? How much faster will a car accelerate if you reduce its weight? This video explains, with the aid of Sir Isaac Newton, how much faster a car will be, theoretically, if you reduce its weight. English units? Unfortunately so.

Everyman Standing Order 01: In the Face of Tyranny; Everybody Stands, Nobody Runs.
Everyman Standing Order 02: Everyman is Responsible for Energy and Security.
Everyman Standing Order 03: Everyman knows Timing is Critical in any Movement.

Group: Elite Experimentalist

Experiment update.

Cheers Graham.

Thanks Graham,   looking very slick  O0

What about that 20KV unit you wrecked,  what is it, and will it be "up to the job"?

Itsu

Buy me a cigar
Thanks Guys.   O0

Regarding experiment 2, how about a triple " A " cell or a " Button " cell suspended from a wire? I had been thinking on the lines of a piece of Lead beaten thin and a small self sealing pouch filled with H2SO4.

Can someone draw me a known to work voltage multiplier circuit so I can derive the 1000 volts from my 240 AC supply please?

Itsu, I'll reply later regarding the HVM I'm on my IPad ATM.

Cheers Graham.

Buy me a cigar

What about that 20KV unit you wrecked,  what is it, and will it be "up to the job"?

Itsu

Hi Itsu.

Here's a link to the UK eBay listing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292029955520?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It drove the heavier disc reasonably well until I grounded the wrong side....   :-[

Two more on order, we'll have to wait and see.

Cheers Graham.

Thanks for the link Graham.

5W he,  i might order one myself, you never know when they come in handy.

Itsu

Can someone draw me a known to work voltage multiplier circuit so I can derive the 1000 volts from my 240 AC supply please?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI8Yt1AQrH8

...or buy one of these self-defense stun-guns or paralyzers.

Indeed ! ...and you thought Grum could make only heavy and grimy contraptions.

Did i?   
allthough, when working on his steam engines or half a ton heavy Milling machines, Graham does remind me sometime of "Tim Tooltime Talor"
when he was working on his 8 cylinder hotrod in his garage: "Harr, Harr".

Can't wait to see all spheres installed and spinning up.

Itsu

If this thread is to get anywhere useful we need to investigate the use of electro-chemical means for getting high quantity of charge in or on a body.  The suggestion here is to create a half cell consisting of an electrode (e.g. magnesium) within an electrolyte (e.g. salt water), contained within a plastic container.  There will be an electrolytic action where positive ions will appear in the electrolyte leaving the electrode negatively charged and an equilibrium position will be reached with the ions clustered around the electrode.  If the negative charge on the electrode is suddenly removed we are left with positive charged ions in the electrolyte, and my feeling is this is a means to get high value charge temporarily present for a relatively low voltage pulse.   So the suggestion is to have this half cell suspended from the ceiling by a thin wire and to supply it with HV pulses of alternating polarity to see whether it endures force impulses along the E-W direction.  Image below.  Anyone up for this?

Smudge

I put up a half cell consisting of a magnesium rod in salt water (plain tap water with some spoons of table salt) and suspended it from the ceiling.
I am tapping it with some positive HV pulses of about 500 to 1000V coming from an ignition coil via a microwave oven diode sourced from a depleted 1.5V AA battery (1.2V left).

No movement seen, but i will be doing some more experiments using also negative pulses etc.
I will put up a more sensitive movement measurement system like a pointer on the bottle and some lines or grid on the below paper sheet.

First video here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PG5TXNHSZo&feature=youtu.be

Regards Itsu

Edit,  i put up a more clear movement detection grid below the bottle, see 2e picture.
« Last Edit: 2017-03-29, 12:49:30 by Itsu »

Do you know the reverse leakage current of your diode?
Where did you get the magnesium rod of that size?

The diode is a HVR 1x 3  which has a 0.3uA max. reverse current (if that the leakage current is), see data sheet below.

The magnesium rods (3) i got from Ebay, here:
http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Magnesium-Rods-18mm-x-100mm-99-99-Metal-Sticks-Blocks-Bars-UK-/171259190301?var=&hash=item27dfd7dc1d:m:mbCfSEkcN5QGEIJmeiXNuew

Itsu

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-05-02, 06:34:52