PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-05-02, 13:33:02
News: A feature is available which provides a place all members can chat, either publicly or privately.
There is also a "Shout" feature on each page. Only available to members.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: We all want to see a better tomorrow.  (Read 847 times)

I thought it would be nice to remind myself and perhaps others why we are here in a place most academics would scoff or even laugh at. No its not because we seek fame or fortune no its not because we are foolish or crazy. Its pretty simple, we are here because we want to see a better tomorrow a tomorrow where humans reach their fullest potential by being free.

Intro speeches aside. I would like to share an idea, a stupendously simple and hilariously stupid idea in fact that many even in this place will laugh at.

I was working on this thing where you move in magnets close to toroidal wound coils and see what happens (I beg you lets not talk about Steorn.). At first it looked like an ordinary motor but then I saw something else.

I will not bore you with any more exposition. The idea basically is a motor with its coil connected to an inductor. The sole purpose of this inductor is to delay the current that is induced by the coil that experiences the permanent magnets flux change. Because these coils are connected in series or in a toroid the entire coil itself. This will cause the current to be delayed. This means its field is also delayed the field that is interacting with the moving magnet. Suddenly you have delayed the force on the moving magnet, instead of perfect balancing out the force you have a small delay depending on how well you tune it. In the overal force graph this causes an overal net energy due this phase shift of the force in relation to the position.

So essentially you decouple kinetic energy from the magnetic energy in a temporal space. The magnets will experience a force that was meant for their past selfs due this phase shift. Completely changing the kinetic energy balance equation. Its ironic because if this baboonish stupid idea would actually work it would literally mean we are harnessing energy from the past few fractions of a seconds. A literal free energy time machine ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D >:-)

I will be here for a bit to discuss this further if needed. But this is my final entry in this whole field after this I will concede and retire so this is literally my final "This is who I am" statement.

Edit:
Some important details:
  • You want the coils to be low in resistance, you can use nanocrystalline cores for this as they require less current for the same field.
  • Dont go crazy with the gaps, they do already a good job at <1mm in size
  • Dont go crazy with the "inductor coil" its inductance needs to allow a current amplitude that is equal to the current required for fully diverting the field in the PM flux receiving coil that is feeling the magnet in real time and inducing a voltage.
  • So its really important to match the impedances up with the frequency to allow for maximum current flow and thus force effects.
  • It would be cool if some LK-99 would finally get made now because a room temperature SC would be ideal for the coils where resistance is the enemy. Too high Inductive impedance will lower the output power but too low will make a smaller phase shift outputting less power. Too high resistive impedance will destroy any mechanical output power. Resistance is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.
  • Air gap effect on power can be a whole research field on itself but I have done air gaps on both sides of the core and the effect remains the same it just gives you a way to play with inducantce and flux path.

Edit2:
Added attachement with sim data and explanation of force differences.

« Last Edit: 2024-01-12, 23:35:37 by broli »

I would like to thank solarlabs as today I serendipitously discovered the idea of the transverse flux motor/generator (TFM/G) idea explained here:

https://www.pengky.cn/zz-direct-drive-turbine/transverse-flux-generator/transverse-flux-generator.html

and here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM3y6zRINdc&t=5s

I had prepared a model of a proposed design of the idea discussed here but then some strange force got me on the overunity machines forum and then it struck me that this was starting very much to look like a TFM/G machine. The biggest problem with the idea proposed in this thread is the resistance of the coils. However in a TFM/G, due to the unique shape of the "coil" this problem is completely eliminated. Because the windings can be replaced by single solid conductor acting as a 1 turn winding which can carry huge currents at low voltages. Its resistance would be incredible low as we only care about the maximum required current flow to neutralize the field due to the movement of the magnet. Eliminating the bottleneck of resistance almost completely and not needing something as exotic as super conductor.

Attached is the design I was working on before I learned about TFM/G machines. I will create a new one eliminating all the individual coils and replace them by a single solid thick conductor. Using such design we dont even have to deal with the design parameters of windings AND as a bonus we get a very nice and simple way to tune the inductance to get maximum phase shift and current flow.

Its funny how most conventional motors are focused on applying a current to the coils that LEADS the motion of PMs essentially dragging them along to make them rotate but this gives you a counter EMF. Whereas when the current is allowed to lag the motion of the PMs then we suddenly break the perfect energy balance equation and we pull in the PMs more slightly as they get closer to the cores and push them out a bit more on their way out leading to a net energy gain. This only happens when there is little to no resistance in the system which could dampen this effect.

Broli
The main problem many encounter is that the magnetic modelling concept there using is flawed. There are no lines of flux and the magnetic field in the cores is made up of billions of individual electron spins not imaginary lines.

A better model recognizes the property of "magnetic induction" not to be confused with electromagnetic induction. I modified the picture below to show how a north polarity (red field) induces an opposite south polarity (blue field) wherever a boundary condition occurs. This can be verified taking actual measurements with a magnetometer.

The effect is generally called induced magnetism, https://gcsephysicsrevision.wordpress.com/2018/12/11/what-is-the-difference-between-induced-and-permanent-magnetism/

Note how the magnetic air gap in the core acts very similar to the gap between two capacitor plates. In fact the magnetic field induction process is almost identical to the electric field induction process. There is also magnetic field displacement similar to electric field displacement found in capacitors. Energy appears to move across a gap (displacement) because an opposite polarity is induced on the other side of the gap like a mirror image.

Note that in the modified picture there is a mirror image or symmetry across the magnet-core gap and core-gap. Now think about what happens if you apply a load to any of your coils. The load current magnetic field opposes the induced field from the rotor in the core. This changes the magnetic field density in the core which then acts on the rotor magnetic field loading it as well. I found most people have the concept of symmetry backwards and the load breaks the symmetry of the system and the imbalance is then reflected back to the source.

In effect, if the magnetic field density induced in the core across the gap by the rotor magnet is not a perfect reflection being equal and opposite the rotor will load up.

AC

---------------------------
Comprehend and Copy Nature... Viktor Schauberger

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”― Richard P. Feynman

Group: Restricted

Hi Broli,

Interesting and insightful concept.

Since it appears this Transverse Flux mechanism involves Lorentz Law, that's one part that might need a
bit more work before truely discovering the inner workings, IMHO anyway! Still a "work-in-progress" here...

Attached a couple of papers you may find of some value.

In the Energies 2021 "Improvement of Transverse-Flus Machine Characteristics; at 4. Discussion,
talks about the cross section of the winding wire. You also mention this in your post.

The second paper from Energies "A Review of Transverse Flux Machines Topologies and Design," on page 12,
Figure 10 (b) might be somewhat in-line with, and support, your discoveries.

BTW, your simulations of the flux lines are correct as far as I can determine - great work!

Good Luck - there's a lot of TF, and similar, configurations that might yield excess energy yet to be unearthed.

Regards,

SL

Broli
The main problem many encounter is that the magnetic modelling concept there using is flawed. There are no lines of flux and the magnetic field in the cores is made up of billions of individual electron spins not imaginary lines.

A better model recognizes the property of "magnetic induction" not to be confused with electromagnetic induction. I modified the picture below to show how a north polarity (red field) induces an opposite south polarity (blue field) wherever a boundary condition occurs. This can be verified taking actual measurements with a magnetometer.

The effect is generally called induced magnetism, https://gcsephysicsrevision.wordpress.com/2018/12/11/what-is-the-difference-between-induced-and-permanent-magnetism/

Note how the magnetic air gap in the core acts very similar to the gap between two capacitor plates. In fact the magnetic field induction process is almost identical to the electric field induction process. There is also magnetic field displacement similar to electric field displacement found in capacitors. Energy appears to move across a gap (displacement) because an opposite polarity is induced on the other side of the gap like a mirror image.

Note that in the modified picture there is a mirror image or symmetry across the magnet-core gap and core-gap. Now think about what happens if you apply a load to any of your coils. The load current magnetic field opposes the induced field from the rotor in the core. This changes the magnetic field density in the core which then acts on the rotor magnetic field loading it as well. I found most people have the concept of symmetry backwards and the load breaks the symmetry of the system and the imbalance is then reflected back to the source.

In effect, if the magnetic field density induced in the core across the gap by the rotor magnet is not a perfect reflection being equal and opposite the rotor will load up.

AC

Hello AC,

I wholeheartedly share your viewpoint. Personally, I find the traditional concept of "fields" a bit limiting. Yet, it remains a more familiar and straightforward framework for most, compared to the complex idea of electron spins aligning within the crystal lattice structure. The latter, while more captivating in its intricacy, isn't as widely recognized. It's truly fascinating to consider how a permanent magnet can be seen as a macroscopic embodiment of the electron's properties. Envision ferromagnetic materials as being comprised of countless, perpetually spinning, minuscule current loops. These loops align due to the standing waves formed by paired electrons, interlocking atoms in a manner akin to Lego blocks.

In soft ferromagnetic materials, this lattice-like structure is loosely interconnected across domain walls. Contrastingly, in hard ferromagnetic materials, this interconnection is much more robust, demanding significantly more magnetic energy to change their orientation. Thus, when the structure is sufficiently strong, we observe an even larger manifestation of the electron. This phenomenon is also evident in macroscopic scenarios. Consider, for example, a space filled with tiny permanent magnets (PMs) fixed in such a way that they can rotate but not move from their spots. If spaced sufficiently apart, they would behave like a soft ferromagnet, aligning with an applied field and then 'relaxing' once the field diminishes, only to realign with their neighbors and neutralize the overall field. However, reducing the average distance between them creates a harder alignment challenge due to the intensified mutual attraction of their opposite poles. Nevertheless, if we apply a sufficiently strong field to overcome this inter-canceling magnetic force, they can align and, remarkably, stay aligned, as each neighbor now reinforces the alignment of the others. A single PM cannot resist the collective force of its neighbors, thus it must align. This entire dynamic arises from a change in STRUCTURE (akin to the crystal lattice in ferromagnetism), enabling such behavior.

This is almost a poetic reflection of a lone unpaired electron, endlessly seeking its oppositely spinning counterpart. And if the STRUCTURE permits, it is compelled by its neighbors to align and seek out larger manifestations of itself to counterbalance its own spin. Ferromagnets, or more precisely unpaired electrons in the right structure, would endlessly expand and attract more unpaired electrons to collectively create larger representations of themselves. This entire process of ferromagnetism is a direct result of STRUCTURE. Without it, our tiny PMs would disperse, illustrating the formidable strength of the lattice within atoms, all driven by the interactions between orbitals, which I believe are also influenced by the spin of paired electrons. Intriguingly, without spin, atoms might not exist. It’s an intriguing paradox: while the Coulomb force repels electrons from each other, their spin engenders wave-like properties, similar to modes in an antenna, that allow them to attract strongly enough to maintain alignment with other unpaired electrons in the same direction. Spin is fundamental. When you hold a permanent magnet, remember that you are essentially holding a gigantic electron. There is a wealth of novel research unfolding these mysteries, including investigations into how a strong magnetic "field" can even alter the crystal structure itself.

Now to get back to the idea. As you rightly pointed out, this alignment does not disrupt the underlying force symmetry when you move the magnet in and out. My insistence on low resistance is grounded in the fact that resistance transforms "structured" energy into "unstructured" energy, such as heat, as per the first law of thermodynamics. Therefore, we aim for the coil's resistance to be as low as possible, ideally reaching the level of a superconductor.

With zero resistance in the system, the forces involved would remain symmetrical EVEN if there is a current flowing. According to simulation data, this would occur without expending mechanical energy since the forces would remain perfectly symmetrical, albeit slightly diminished between the current and non current flowing variant. This essentially results in a system that performs no work.

However, what if we could introduce a time delay in this induced (super) current? Imagine the magnet reaching its apex, only to encounter a current reacting to its position from a fraction of a second earlier. Given the direct proportionality between the flowing current and the mechanical force it produces, this would effectively delay the actual mechanical force exerted on the moving magnet, creating a phase-shifted force graph that lags behind the real-world mechanical movement.

Achieving this might seem like magic, but it's quite straightforward. An inductor accomplishes exactly that. By attaching the very low-resistance (or zero-resistance) "coil" to an external inductor, the latter would act like a proverbial magnetic flywheel. Driven by the "mechanical" coil responding to the magnet's interaction in real time (and generating a corresponding EMF), but adding this "magnetic" flywheel inline causes the current flow to be delayed in the temporal space. Which manifests as a force that acts in a time-delayed manner on the moving magnet.

Integrating this force graph over the magnet's position, we observe a slight pull and push as the magnet approaches and recedes from the core, respectively. Ironically, in a standard motor, we do the opposite; we set up a current that leads the magnet's movement to generate torque, constantly combating the field's buildup. In this scenario, we don't resist the field; instead, we allow the current to lag, and as a result, we build up mechanical energy due to a temporal shift.

Since room-temperature superconductors aren't available yet, we must work with regular conductors. The concept of the transverse flux motor/generator (TFM/G) provides an elegant solution to this issue. Here, we could use a single large solid conductor as a single turn to significantly reduce resistance, ideally lowering resistive losses below the mechanical gains obtained from delaying the "induced" current.

I am excited to soon share an integrated design that encompasses all these elements. Just as importantly, the inductor, acting as a magnetic flywheel, must be finely tuned to ensure the current runs through it appropriately. If not correctly adjusted, it might either have minimal lag or completely dampen the current's amplitude, negating any potential benefits.

If this concept has been discussed before, I'd love to see any relevant links or references. Essentially, what I'm proposing is to add an inductor to a motor winding and let it push itself along due to a time asymmetry. Of course, there are design nuances to consider, like minimizing resistance as much as possible.

By introducing a time delay between the effects of the mechanical and magnetic world have on each other through a "magnetic flywheel," we break the symmetry in their energy interaction in the temporal space, transforming what would otherwise be a symmetrical equation.

Just to clarify this does not break the conservation of momentum or newtons third law. Angular momentum is conserved in fact the magnetic energy is too because the induced current will always have a fixed maximum aka the current that is needed to cancel out the effect the magnets have on the soft ferromagnetic crystals. The frequency can increase which it does if this thing self accelerates but the total needed current to cancel the "field" caused by the magnet does not. This is nice because it means that the current does not increase as RPM increases and therefore not bleed energy in the form of Joule heating due to the limited resistance of the conductor.

The only thing that is violated is the conservation of kinetic energy due to a temporal shift of the mechanical force.
« Last Edit: 2024-01-15, 18:28:32 by broli »

See attached for the new design that reduces the idea to its bare minimum. Everything is integrated, the "inductor" or "choke" or "magnetic flywheels" , or whatever you would like to call them, that cause the current time retardation dont need to be part of a separate circuit they can be fully integrated reducing components and complexity. Using the design of transverse flux motors the classical "coils" are replaced by a single bulk conductor that can handle many amps and provide low resistance. It should be remained to be seen whether these should be thin pieces to reduce eddy current heating due to the oscillating current going through it.

I would also like to highlight something else with this design. What happens if you wound some wires around the "choking" cores like a toroidal core. These would now oppose the changing field and try to keep the field inside these cores at zero. In effect the time retardation would be reduced or nullified. But now you have quite a bit of electrical power at no mechanical expense.....hmmmmm. Strange device indeed.
« Last Edit: 2024-01-15, 21:20:14 by broli »

Hi Broli,

Interesting and insightful concept.

Since it appears this Transverse Flux mechanism involves Lorentz Law, that's one part that might need a
bit more work before truely discovering the inner workings, IMHO anyway! Still a "work-in-progress" here...

Attached a couple of papers you may find of some value.

In the Energies 2021 "Improvement of Transverse-Flus Machine Characteristics; at 4. Discussion,
talks about the cross section of the winding wire. You also mention this in your post.

The second paper from Energies "A Review of Transverse Flux Machines Topologies and Design," on page 12,
Figure 10 (b) might be somewhat in-line with, and support, your discoveries.

BTW, your simulations of the flux lines are correct as far as I can determine - great work!

Good Luck - there's a lot of TF, and similar, configurations that might yield excess energy yet to be unearthed.

Regards,

SL

Hey solarlab,

Thanks for the literature it is very insightful. But again thank you for mentioning Transverse-Flus Machines. I started to form a vague idea of using a single big solid winding but it would have taken me longer to come to the final design of this idea with out it. Eliminating as much resistance as possible is key and it simplifies the build tremendously by not having to wind anything. In fact one can even use a solid ring of a YBCO super conductor. As I believe with a super conductor you dont even have to deal with figuring out the sweet spot between RPM, current and voltage.

I have a feeling people are not grasping what I am trying to say here. Attached is a simplified overview of the idea. Essentially if you retard the current you retard the mechanical force felt by the moving magnet.

This shifts the mechanical work done and you seemingly gain work over 1 full cycle :o. (Magnetic energy is conserved on the other hand.)

The inductor acts as "inertia" on the electrons that experience a force due to the movement of the magnet essentially time retarding the mechanical force felt. This disconnect between the mechanical and magnetic world breaks the energy symmetry in the mechanical world. Without the inductor the current will reflect the position of the magnet in real time. If this is a non super conductor the current would to 0 at top dead center position of the magnet. In a super conductor it would reach its maximum. However WITH the inductor it will reach its maximum AFTER the magnet has left TDC, essentially giving it a kick on its way out rather than a pull.

If I am right, which I probably am not, then this effect has been hiding because we have been looking at motors the wrong way. We dont want the current to LEAD the movement of the magnet, we want it to LAG. The former takes mechanical energy, the later gives mechanical energy. Making the current lag costs us nothing due to the inductor storing the energy in its field and as a bonus it gives us a force that lags behind the movement of the magnet.

All the above mentioned designs are just integrating these two coils into a single design. Where one coil interacts with the magnet and induces the EMF while the other causes the induced current to lag.
« Last Edit: 2024-01-17, 11:22:14 by broli »

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-05-02, 13:33:02