PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-05-04, 15:38:50
News: Check out the Benches; a place for people to moderate their own thread and document their builds and data.
If you would like your own Bench, please PM an Admin.
Most Benches are visible only to members.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fallacy about the Joule Thief Circuit  (Read 4703 times)
Group: Guest

I'm refering to a pdf paper pretending to explain the Joule Thief circuit and that is found here: http://www.overunityresearch.com/index.php?topic=1516.msg26504#msg26504.

First we see page 8 that the bemf recovering circuit is constituted by a diode and a load in series connected to the negative line. This means that there is a permanent cc current from Vbat+ through the toroid secondary, the diode and the load, whatever the state of the transistor 2N2222, therefore the diode is permanently conducting and so, it is not even needed.
Secondly, this can prevent the collector voltage to reach its correct bias point of functioning if the load resistance is too low and/or the coil resistance too high. Consequently, contrarily to what is stated, this setup is not duplicable without indispensable specifications about the components that have to be given but are not.
Thirdly, we should see this mean continuous current added to the variable output current shown page 13. We don't. So it is obvious that the measurement is not in agreement with the schematic and the given process, or is made in AC mode, which would explain also negative output voltages at the collector and miss the most significant part of the energy.
Finally we read "However, the Output Voltage is so much higher. The result is a much Higher Output Power!", followed by the crazy claim of a COP of – 52: only the narrow voltage peaks are higher, a higher voltage doesn't even imply a higher power, and a higher power doesn't imply a higher energy.

I don't know if this paper is the result of the incompetence of the experimenter or if it is voluntarily misleading (possible, because it is in a read-only thread -at least for me-, preventing comments about its inconsistencies), but in any case, while it is presented as "Explaining the behavior of the Joule Thief Circuit", it's only non-senses.
We now better understand why this mention page 8: "May God bless you in your replication efforts. Amen". Sure that you will meet Him before succeeding in a COP 52 with this setup, a life will not be enough.  ;D

Group: Tinkerer

Quote from: exnihiloest
I'm refering to a pdf paper...

First we see page 8 that the bemf recovering circuit is constituted by a
diode and a load in series connected to the negative line. This means
that there is a permanent cc current from Vbat+ through the toroid
secondary, the diode and the load, whatever the state of the transistor
2N2222, therefore the diode is permanently conducting and so, it is not
even needed.

If the forward voltage characteristic of the diode is greater than the
supply voltage (1.5 Volts max in the example) then there will only
be a small leakage current.  But, your point is well taken;  I would
much prefer that all output measurements be made across the
coil winding directly and isolated from the supply rather than as
its shown which places the coil during flyback in series aiding with
the source cell so that whatever voltage appears across the load is
the sum of Vsource and Vflyback.

---------------------------
For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open.

Group: Guest
If the forward voltage characteristic of the diode is greater than the
supply voltage (1.5 Volts max in the example) then there will only
be a small leakage current.

I agree.
According to page 12, the collector voltage is even negative half the time!  I think that this is the precise point where God is intervening.  :)

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-05-04, 15:38:50