PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-05-19, 08:00:44
News: If you have a suggestion or need for a new board title, please PM the Admins.
Please remember to keep topics and posts of the FE or casual nature. :)

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Acronym's  (Read 7849 times)

Group: Moderator

Buy me a cigar
Dear All.

Perhaps I led a very sheltered life but I do have trouble with acronym's !!  I hope the moderators approve?  But I thought we could have a light hearted thread just to get to the meaning of some that are used here, and in general life.

Let's not be too smutty ??   ;)

Now PhysicsProf has used the acronym... IIRC on several occasions this week  ???  Jim used a couple that I had to ask him about !!  :)

Let Rip !!  O0

Cheers Grum.

---------------------------
Nanny state ? Left at the gate !! :)

Group: Elite Experimentalist

... .-.. .. -.. . .-.
Good thread.

IIRC is If I Remember Correctly.

One that bugged me for ages was 'smh', then found out that it means shakes my head, as in disbelieving or derisory.

ʎɐqǝ from pɹɐoqʎǝʞ a ʎnq ɹǝʌǝu

Group: Elite

It's turtles all the way down
My favorite from Bob Pease

SMWISICDI = Show Me Where It Says I Can't Do It

see attachment for the whole story and a lesson on breadboard technique

"Secrecy, secret societies and secret groups have always been repugnant to a free and open society"......John F Kennedy

... .-.. .. -.. . .-.
 O0
What a great story and interesting read.
"If you own your own home, you can play the piano at midnight" - that made me laugh, when read in all the different ways.

I wonder. Grum, would an ultimate goal of the thread be to compose a short piece that uses tons of these acronyms and makes sense...might be fun. Of course, ymmv
(your mileage may vary)

Group: Professor

wrt  is one we used a lot in physics = with respect to  (as wrt a certain reference frame).
btw,
SRT = special theory of relativity
TOE = theory of everything.  particle physicists like to think big.

NSO = national security order, to shut up about your invention; Dr Mitchell Swartz got one of these about 2 years ago, on a small CF (cold fusion) device; his Nanor.  He fought it, since it was such low power, <1W, and got the order lifted so he can talk about it again.  His mistake -- he applied to the USPTO for a patent; immediately got slapped with an NSO.

According to my friend Mitchell Swartz, NSO's are a real pain.  And NSA is spying all the time it seems.  Perhaps we should use more schematics and acronyms to communicate?  at least if we get something interesting...
Funny that some states, tired of Feds not reigning in the NSA, are considering state laws to limit water and power availability to NSA facilities!  push-back = pb (just made that one up)

We could also slow em down using scope-shots and the RHR (right-hand-rule), and switch to LHR for added fun...  8)

Buy me a cigar
O0
What a great story and interesting read.
"If you own your own home, you can play the piano at midnight" - that made me laugh, when read in all the different ways.

I wonder. Grum, would an ultimate goal of the thread be to compose a short piece that uses tons of these acronyms and makes sense...might be fun. Of course, ymmv
(your mileage may vary)

Dear Slider2732.

Let's see how this pans out, but a really great idea !!  O0

I liked PhysicsProf's  TOE.    It reminded me of Douglas Adams, Hitch Hikers guide to the galaxy...... Life the universe and everything.... 32 !!  :)

Cheers Grum.

Re pb vs NSA,

[size=150]NSA's Water, Power Supply Under Threat in State Legislatures[/size]

With federal reform elusive, state lawmakers and activists resume back-up plan to shut down mass surveillance.

In eight states, legislators are pushing bills they hope will either boot National Security Agency facilities or ban the agency from setting up shop. The bills would prohibit state and local governments from offering material support to the agency, including use of public utilities that carry water and electricity. Two of the bills would criminalize official cooperation with the NSA and several seek to squeeze contractors out of work with the electronic spy agency.
[/quote]

... .-.. .. -.. . .-.
Ah Grum, i think you mean 42, unless you've already subscribed to PhysicsProfs obfuscation techniques ?  8)

Encryption can be raised...y'see things needn't go all Enigma machine on certain well known agencies. Encryption can be formed by knowledge and that knowledge is something we here may have, that a casual word or phrase spotter wouldn't have.
To many outside our research/hobby, we talk in gibberish anyway lol
So, perhaps your thread here also serves another purpose...the start of a different form of encryption.
Reliance and use of words and phrases that make sense, but only to us, unless a reader is familiar with everything that years of research brings.
For example, the work of JB and his SSG. We know who and what that is, to others it may bring confusion, as acronyms did for you :)

Well said, Mark! 

Group: Guest
Grum,

BS - Bull malarky

FWIW - for what it's worth

IMO/IMHO -in my opinion /in my honest opinion

Just a few....

James

... .-.. .. -.. . .-.
Might add:
NM - No Matter/No Mention

FYI - For Your Information

ISO - In Search Of, such as 'iso more information regarding Walter Russell'

OP - Original Post(er), as in 'Back on subject, the OP mentioned that ...'

asdflwq - the writer was drunk  :)

Here's one that doesn't exist, but I like it for the OU devices that we discuss here:
UFO - Unexplained Fuel-less Object.
"Just spotted a UFO on YouTube"

Another I like and doesn't exist (lol) is TNT
That's Not True, as in to blow it up because it's rubbish.

Group: Guest
And NSA is spying all the time it seems.  Perhaps we should use more schematics and acronyms to communicate?  at least if we get something interesting...
Funny that some states, tired of Feds not reigning in the NSA, are considering state laws to limit water and power availability to NSA facilities!  push-back = pb (just made that one up)

NSA -->  Never a Straight Answer.   :)

Of course I've heard this applies equally to NASA.

I've seen at least one around here this could apply to.    ;)

« Last Edit: 2015-01-30, 08:25:11 by Matt Watts »

Group: Ambassador

How about one for Bangs head against the wall BHATW..
or is this already taken

Ohhhh an epiphany ....I'll add an A at the end  BHATWA  Bangs Head Against The Wall Again..
or is that already Taken??

... .-.. .. -.. . .-.
Hey Chet, y'know how TinMan's shed is corrugated...it would make that BHATWA noise if he did that  ;D

See
thats how I would remember that one...
it makes a noise... :D

Buy me a cigar
PhysicsProf's at it again !!

He's just used IOW  ???

Arrrrrrgh !!  :)

Cheers Grum.

In Other Words

Buy me a cigar
In Other Words

Thanks Chet !!  O0

Taking sliders comment a little further from yesterday, yet another classic !!  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzZzGxReXmo

Enjoy.

Cheers Grum.

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-05-19, 08:00:44