PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-05-17, 20:57:30
News: Forum TIP:
The SHOUT BOX deletes messages after 3 hours. It is NOT meant to have lengthy conversations in. Use the Chat feature instead.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Intriguing cave in Antarctica - REWARD offered for WANTED data  (Read 2522 times)
Group: Moderator

In an earlier thread, we considered some intriguing finds in Antarctica, including two large cave-openings.
I've continued that study, and located two more openings nearby.

However, I've run into a brick wall in trying to get more imagery on these caves - just ONE year (2006) with a clear view of these caves.  Other years are available on GoogleEarth using the "time" feature, but these other images do not show a clear image of these caves.  The NSF evidently has data on this region (called the "Obruchev Hills" and nearby "Bunger Hills") - but when I wrote them, they replied that high-resolution imagery for this area is only available for individuals having an NSF grant to study Antarctica... sigh...

But I read that other countries have studied this area, including Australia, Poland and Russia; and there may be other agencies such as USGS that will be more cooperative.

To break the apparent log-jam, I'm offering a REWARD for anyone with the cleverness and tenacity to acquire additional data, on a particular cave - as follows.

Go to these coordinates,  -66.604 99.72 ,  using GoogleEarth or Maps.google, or whatever - to see the cave:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/66%C2%B036'14.4%22S+99%C2%B043'12.0%22E/@-66.6036634,99.7193241,159m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d-66.604!4d99.72

The cave-opening evidently has a dome-like structure (dark gray in color) that you will see.  THAT intrigues me - how thick is it, and what is it made of?  Does it last from year to year?

So here are the prizes:

1-  for an aerial or satellite image of the SAME cave-opening, and of similar or better resolution - but for a DIFFERENT YEAR:  $250 prize.

To be sure your entry is indeed a different year, please check the patterns of snow and ice around the cave-opening (which will almost certainly vary somewhat from year to year).

2 - for an aerial or satellite image of the SAME cave-opening acquired in 2006, but with BETTER RESOLUTION -  $150 prize.

3 - for any solid scientific data on the COMPOSITION of the dome-covering of this cave --  $300 prize.  (I would be surprised if any such data exists at this time.)

I realize that there are various speculations out there - that perhaps this opening leads to the inside of the Hollow Earth or alien spacecraft, etc.   I'm really not interested in such speculations - just in MORE solid data!

Group: Renaissance Man

Buy me a cigar
Dear Steve.

I talked to Chet about the ice rings at the entrance when you first brought up the subject.

In my earlier days I spent a lot of time looking for cave entrances in our local Limestone belt. Winter, particularly with snow would show exactly what you see. As the warmer air venting melts the snow then freezes just a bit further out leaving those characteristic rings.

In my mind they are definitely openings in the ground, BIG openings !!

Cheers Graham. 

---------------------------
Nanny state ? Left at the gate !! :)

Good point, Graham - just such details can be studied with higher resolution imagery.

Here's the reply I received earlier this month when I requested such -- from a fellow with National Science Foundation (NSF) imagery (at Univ of Minnesota):

QUOTE:
Dr. Jones,

The Polar Geospatial Center is an NSF-funded research group at the University of Minnesota. We provide high-resolution satellite imagery to other NSF-funded polar research groups. We can assist in your project if you can provide your NSF award information.
UNQUOTE

Quick follow-up:  I found a source for satellite imagery, TerraServer.
Then I went there, found the cave, and purchased the best available more recent image = 18 Jan 2016 -- costing me less than the prize offered btw.
  Notice that the bell-shaped roof is mostly (but not completely) obscured by snow in this view.  Important:  the dark-gray walls are now clearly seen -- going around the opening.  What is this material???

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-05-17, 20:57:30