PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-05-13, 18:51:22
News: Check out the Benches; a place for people to moderate their own thread and document their builds and data.
If you would like your own Bench, please PM an Admin.
Most Benches are visible only to members.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Dolphins Rock !  (Read 23372 times)
Group: Moderator

... .-.. .. -.. . .-.
That was until 2008, now in Oklahoma :)
One thing we liked when we first made a trip to this area, was the amount of forestry. We're not too fond of concrete.
The reasons to move to here perhaps make a bizarre quick story - I saw a nice enough 1987 GMC Sierra truck for sale here for $400. I drove it back to Minnesota, 900 miles, having never driven a column shifting anything, or on the wrong side of the road with what any European would call a big vehicle. Then came all the way back down here in it to meet up with an online friend to buy arcade machines, returning with 3 arcade cabinets for $100 on the back LOL. We then decided that with seeing house prices down here, to sell the house, pay off the mortgage, come down here and buy a house for cash..so we did.
All in all, not so daft days, because after all, look what happened that year. We sold ours by beginning of 2008, the market tanked and we then bought the fixer upper in the summer :)

The weather is warming back up again. 61F today, 70F tomorrow and Sunday...so, time to get going on coils and building etc.
Am still waiting for some rotor magnets that were supposed to be here today.

A build is on test at the moment, that may use any of the driving coils talked about so far.
At the moment, it's using the auto starting solar powered circuit from a 'dancing' toy. The solar panel is delivering 1.4V at 0.5mA.
I've fitted a 2nd set of 4 coils to the first of the remote rotors and 2 others are similarly arranged, ready for their coils.
'All' I need to do is pick up 1.4V and 0.5mA to be able to start it on solar and then remove the solar.
How hard can it be ?  :D
 ;D

---------------------------
ʎɐqǝ from pɹɐoqʎǝʞ a ʎnq ɹǝʌǝu

... .-.. .. -.. . .-.
Ha no problem with TMI, I do it all the time and it's a pleasure to chat around the subjects :)
I see 2 project names for your builds, Kunuku and Bonaire !
No problems on time and building, it's good to chat out some details. But, if I ever make a runner out of this concept then I suspect a replication would likely move forward in your cue  8)

There are ways right now to run such a motor all the time and i'm a fan of using whatever is normally done or available in a regular day to do something. Ambient room light for one thing, table lamps, piezo under foot etc. Lidmotor tried his real EZ Spin that was received from Lasersaber with a cap and solar panel and it ran til 5am the next day, which is very close. 
Bigger panel, bigger cap and it would run 24/7 indoors. Extending that thinking would be a garden light sort of system, where the motor gave a night light and then did something useful and unique for free...such as drive a little pump for indoor watering of plants. A galvanic cell in the grow pot would deliver 0.7V at 300uA quite readily from zinc and copper electrodes.
There is absolutely a use too, for capturing the light hitting the wall from LEDs when growing plants.
Annnd there I go, crossing projects again lol

... .-.. .. -.. . .-.
Oh I meant as in motor build project names :)
And...if one of them should become a product idea or something, the name on it would carry you forward to the dream move.
That's just probably how I think. This motor build of mine is now called the BillionDollarParadigmEngine LOL

Update - charging.
4x 500ohm coils in series, 4x North outward magnets, diode on one wire of the 2 wire output.
This idea generates up to 2.77V as tested. It needs a lot of fast spinning to get there, but can go that high. What i'm looking for is a reliable much lower output, over a time frame that can keep a cap charged, as it discharges into the drive motor.
Also, the main rotor has now been converted back to reed switch operation.

[youtube]raxgJuTQ_Yo[/youtube]

... .-.. .. -.. . .-.
The original plan keeps changing..wait, that sounds wrong.
What I mean is, the envisaged routes keep getting blocked by unforeseen events. An example would be what's just happened now...
On the main motor itself, there are 4 driven coils just like the EZ Spin original build and then there are 4 pickup coils. The coils are now wired up, with a diode and feed back to the run capacitor. However, the rotor speeds up and slows down whenever it wants to ! Efficiency is amazing though, at the half hour run point of a usual 1hr run with the 0.1F cap, it was ahead of a comparison run without the pickup coils by 350mV !
What that means though, is that remote rotors won't stay sync'd, with the speed of the main rotor changing  :-\
So, next I attempted a semi-isolation of the returning energy, by putting another diode in series with the first and then putting a 100uF cap across that join point and Ground. It runs fine, but loses some charge voltage via the diode loss.

The next idea, is to run a straight 4 coil original design (of mine) EZ Spin and put the reed switch on that.
That will now become the drive rotor and the 8 coiler then becomes a remote rotor.  

Group: Professor

Mark,
Efficiency is amazing though, at the half hour run point of a usual 1hr run with the 0.1F cap, it was ahead of a
comparison run without the pickup coils by 350mV !
What that means though, is that remote rotors won't stay sync'd, with the speed of the main rotor changing [/quote

These are remarkable observations.  Your learned experience is very valuable, significant.
Hope you keep pressing forward.   O0

... .-.. .. -.. . .-.
Thanks Steve,
I had a thought that what may have been happening was the reed sticking. That particular one had been used for a couple of higher voltage starts and may be sticking. Perhaps, only when the rotor slowed down would it free up and so speed the rotor back up. I replaced it and the rotor infuriatingly wouldn't run ! A remote rotor now is the drive rotor.
Kinda messed things up I think, i'll be checking for anything amiss on the connections.

Luckily, there is some video of a slow down and speed up.
It was going to be for own notes of progress, but demonstrates well what was happening.  

[youtube]Nef702dL2nM[/youtube]

Interesting how it slows way down, then on its own speeds up again! 

Lidmotor has his latest motor of this type.  He has would two high-resistance coils (that seems to be the name of the game right now, wound with 42 AWG wire) running a motor at 1.5V (AA battery, 2500 mA-hours) and drawing just 40 MICROamps.  Do the math! 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0Nu4dKhUHg&feature=em-uploademail

Mark-- approx what is the gauge on the dancing flower coils?

(AA battery, 2500 mA-hours) and drawing just 40 MICROamps.

I get 7.1 years of running on the AA battery... is this right?

Note: 2500 mA-hours is what I heard Lidmotor say in the latest vid (above post)... but this seems HIGH to me.  That would be 2.5A for an hour, and I don't think AA-alkaline will do that.  Does anyone have better info?
« Last Edit: 2015-02-10, 18:07:23 by PhysicsProf »

... .-.. .. -.. . .-.
Yes indeed, his motor is quite amazing at that run amperage !
The DF coils are maybe even thinner gauge.
You can find out quite readily.....the bases on all of them are a plastic snap fit. Using a fingernail or flat blade small screwdriver, the base can be prised away quite readily. It falls away and the magnet + rocking mechanism sits separately.
On the base sits the coil, small solar cell and drive circuit.
Nothing connects to the assembly above, so once inspection is over, the base can snap back in again.

His coils are somewhat the equivalent of 4x DF coils spaced separately around the rotor, but all together in one bobbin.
I like it, for compactness and am going to build a rotor with DF coils piggybacked as a stack.
Looking at his bobbins, the sizing roughly equates...but will be much easier to build, except for the micro thin soldering !

... .-.. .. -.. . .-.
First coil wound, see pic.
Resistance is 1967 ohms.

From in their packages to the finished coil took only about 30 minutes, including melting the coils off the bases.
Each is held to the next by a spot of superglue, after first using the soldering iron to gently flatten the remaining original glue.

Our new Philips camera is worse than the old Kodak for indoor videos, but does a really good job in comparison for close ups. Full zoom was used and then it focused itself, to get this picture.

... .-.. .. -.. . .-.
Short vid of the First test of the DF 2K coil, the motor runs well.

[youtube]ekgQMC2cSK0[/youtube]

Pages: 1 2 [3]
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-05-13, 18:51:22