PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-05-03, 08:55:34
News: Check out the Benches; a place for people to moderate their own thread and document their builds and data.
If you would like your own Bench, please PM an Admin.
Most Benches are visible only to members.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14]
Author Topic: Aether Vortex Energy Converter (AVEC Device): Full Disclosure  (Read 258995 times)

Being stuck on the road I don't have a lab/shop to perform actual experiments, so I spent some time designing a new HV pulse controller for the dual purpose of having a 1-4 phase HV controller onhand for AVEC work as well as the dual-pulse experiment and some related coil tests. :)

The controller is rated to 1500-1700v, at least 100w per channel, with what should be a decent switching speed and repetition rate.  Nowadays I like to use metal oxide varisters across the source-drain to help prevent spikes+surges.   It forces some derating but tend to make the FETs last indefinitely.
It is designed as a lowside driver but swapping a battery or isolated source for the gate driver will turn it into a highside driver.

Each iteration of these is a bit of a lessons-learned as small variations in trace size/width, filtering, etc all have an impact on systems like this.

---------------------------
"An overly-skeptical scientist might hastily conclude by scooping and analyzing a thousand buckets of ocean water that the ocean has no fish in it."

Group: Elite Experimentalist

Many here have the same dream of a fast isolated system for these experiments .
My approach is using  fibre optics for drive isolation of all kinds . 10 metres is no problem .
It not without its challenges but cheap toslink rx and tx is what I am using .

In theory and practice it has some great advantages where stray voltages and sharp transitions have far fewer unwanted paths .
It also allows the minimium of components near the hot spots.

The main problem is that all parts these days are end of run and quality is variable .
And my brain is ageing in an undesirable manner .

Group: Tinkerer

tExB=qr
Being stuck on the road I don't have a lab/shop to perform actual experiments, so I spent some time designing a new HV pulse controller for the dual purpose of having a 1-4 phase HV controller onhand for AVEC work as well as the dual-pulse experiment and some related coil tests. :)

The controller is rated to 1500-1700v, at least 100w per channel, with what should be a decent switching speed and repetition rate.  Nowadays I like to use metal oxide varisters across the source-drain to help prevent spikes+surges.   It forces some derating but tend to make the FETs last indefinitely.
It is designed as a lowside driver but swapping a battery or isolated source for the gate driver will turn it into a highside driver.

Each iteration of these is a bit of a lessons-learned as small variations in trace size/width, filtering, etc all have an impact on systems like this.

This sounds good for the Tetrahedral Spherics device, which is only 3 phases (channels), and a minimum of 300v pulses.

If using MOSFETs for the AVEC, you may want to use a higher voltage range.  The slower the switching time, the higher the voltage has to be to have a voltage drop of at least 1000v across the coil.  At these voltages, a damper (I use RC and a flyback diode) is a must and I had to determine values manually. 

You will also have to contend with the Miller Effect with the switched HV trashing your gate pulse.  This bad effect doesn't happen at the same parameters for each device.  I had two of six channels that were perfect, four were trash. I could slow down the MOSFET, but that is opposite of what you want for the pulse effect. 

I was using around 2500v with the 4.5kv MOSFETs that I tried to get the 1000v drop across the coil.  This is well above the 1500v that Spherics used as an example.  Note that he used SCR's, and not MOSFETs. 

Regarding the wattage, you only need the minimum current to make it work. More like 10W or 20W than 100W.

I only recommend avalanche switching devices for the AVEC.

I hope to have time this weekend to test my avalanche transistor pulser at 2kv... O0

Note for HV o-scope probes:  look at the frequency de-rating chart!  BK Precision is OK to 2KV, above that look at LeCroy probes for 4kv and 5kv.  I use the 1000:1 40kv BK Precision HV DMM probe, but Cal Test probe looks the same.

Spherics said HV is cheap, and it is to generate, but the test equipment and components are not cheap at all!

Many here have the same dream of a fast isolated system for these experiments .
My approach is using  fibre optics for drive isolation of all kinds . 10 metres is no problem .
It not without its challenges but cheap toslink rx and tx is what I am using.

Boy don't I know it C.C.

I kinda want to get my hands on some thyratrons/ignitrons or similar as they seem like the ideal solution to smoke-free high-voltage nanosecond impulses.  But that's a whole new learning curve by itself.
I have a couple soviet GU5b's but they are not rated for impulses so I suspect the grid might dislodge/arcover from a very large pulse.

This sounds good for the Tetrahedral Spherics device, which is only 3 phases (channels), and a minimum of 300v pulses.

If using MOSFETs for the AVEC, you may want to use a higher voltage range.  The slower the switching time, the higher the voltage has to be to have a voltage drop of at least 1000v across the coil.  At these voltages, a damper (I use RC and a flyback diode) is a must and I had to determine values manually. 

You will also have to contend with the Miller Effect with the switched HV trashing your gate pulse.  This bad effect doesn't happen at the same parameters for each device.  I had two of six channels that were perfect, four were trash. I could slow down the MOSFET, but that is opposite of what you want for the pulse effect. 

I was using around 2500v with the 4.5kv MOSFETs that I tried to get the 1000v drop across the coil.  This is well above the 1500v that Spherics used as an example.  Note that he used SCR's, and not MOSFETs. 

Regarding the wattage, you only need the minimum current to make it work. More like 10W or 20W than 100W.

I'm not directly focused on AVEC so I wanted something fairly versatile.  I have a couple configurations that I think may be able to show a similar effect in iron/ferrite.  Would need higher current but switching speeds could be much lower.

Note for HV o-scope probes:  look at the frequency de-rating chart!  BK Precision is OK to 2KV, above that look at LeCroy probes for 4kv and 5kv.  I use the 1000:1 40kv BK Precision HV DMM probe, but Cal Test probe looks the same.

Nowadays for early work I find it's easier to just leave the probe dangling in another part of the bench.  Anything over 1kv seems to show up just fine via capacitve coupling alone.

"An overly-skeptical scientist might hastily conclude by scooping and analyzing a thousand buckets of ocean water that the ocean has no fish in it."

I kinda want to get my hands on some thyratrons/ignitrons or similar as they seem like the ideal solution to smoke-free high-voltage nanosecond impulses.  But that's a whole new learning curve by itself.

Speaking of thyratrons, have you seen Kerry Wong's Experiments with a Hydrogen Thyratron blog post?

I've been in contact with someone in Serbia who was selling some heavy duty Soviet hydrogen TGI2-400/16 thyratrons, but I decided not to buy them as I don't think my wife would have tolerated them in addition to the mess of cables and components in our garage! The price was actually quite reasonable, $200 for two.

Speaking of thyratrons, have you seen Kerry Wong's Experiments with a Hydrogen Thyratron blog post?

I've been in contact with someone in Serbia who was selling some heavy duty Soviet hydrogen TGI2-400/16 thyratrons, but I decided not to buy them as I don't think my wife would have tolerated them in addition to the mess of cables and components in our garage! The price was actually quite reasonable, $200 for two.

Thanks for the link.  Looks like a pretty simple setup for Thyratrons, and easily adapted from a vacuum tube supply.  I think I'll order one and hope I can find a free weekend to play around with it. >:-)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14]
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-05-03, 08:55:34