PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-05-19, 02:39:48
News: If you have a suggestion or need for a new board title, please PM the Admins.
Please remember to keep topics and posts of the FE or casual nature. :)

Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Woopy's kacher device... progress?  (Read 38562 times)
Group: Guest
  Dumped:
  I did something today that I think is a little unusual. I did not connect anything the the transistor base connection. And the Exciter fired up, but still overheats on 12 volts. Runs ok on 5 or 6 volts.
Slayer had mentioned that once the system starts that the base resistor could be removed and it would still work, but until today I saw that that can happen. All by accident. I didn't know it could even start without the base connected, as sometimes I tap an Av plug to the transistor control or emitter to get it going if it does want to start.
But it started all by itself, several times, with nothing on the base. I recall the Doc mentioning something about that also.  Makes me wonder if a just diode can be made to do the same thing.  And also what Gk had mentioned about using no transistor, just a spark gap, to avoid the transistor heating, and bypassing its current limits. If I understood him correctly.

Group: Elite Experimentalist

Frequency equals matter...

Buy me a drink
http://www.overunityresearch.com/index.php?topic=860.msg23738#msg23738
The stun gun produces the high impact with very little stress on the transistor. But the discharge stage would be different. Your builds have the discharge stage with air core.  Your flux fields would be toriodal in shape but the ring would cause the head to bite the tail with a pole inside as a core and a pole outside as a sheath. Like leedskalnin's permanent magnet holder.
I posted the stungun link as a reference to Tesla's Colorado springs notes. He did not have transistors and depended heavily on final stage tuning.

---------------------------

What happens inside of the Exciter/Kacher coil is very similar to the workings of a toroid, as both types of coils compress and spin a vortex.

Which facts could support the idea of a "vortex"?

Good point about what facts back up the vortex idea of an Exciter/kacher circuit. However I'm not going to get into that for now, as I just want to focus on what I'm working on, without going off too far to prove a point, which I'm not really too sure or concerned about at this time.

GK: Yes, if Tesla was able to do all that he did without transistors and such, it would lead one to believe that it is possible to produce similar results without using solid state methods, that have power limitations.

The hang-up I'm having is with the transistor heat, and would like to stay on subject that until I resolve it.
 I found that the guys using higher voltage Exciter circuits could only run them for a few minutes time, without a transistor meltdown, at 24 to 30 volts or higher levels.  It looks like capacitor filtering MAY be the solution.
I don't really want to place a resistor in line to drop the 12v or higher voltage, but to find a suitable solution to optimize the "effect generation", instead, which is already working fine, but with limited output.
Even that last video with the kacher lighting a 60 watt incandescent bulb only shows it doing so for a minute or less.

If the TPU had a spark gap, there was no noise coming from it, as most of the other systems that use spark gaps have. Woopy's spark gap system seams to be very silent, and effective.

I read the whole article on Testilian waves, but what are they, really?  There is a lot we don't know about, yet.

Group: Tinkerer

Quote from: NickZ
  Dumped:
  I did something today that I think is a little unusual.
I did not connect anything the the transistor base connection.
And the Exciter fired up, but still overheats on 12 volts. Runs ok
on 5 or 6 volts.
Slayer had mentioned that once the system starts that the base
resistor could be removed and it would still work, but until today
I saw that that can happen. All by accident. I didn't know it could
even start without the base connected, as sometimes I tap an Av
plug to the transistor control or emitter to get it going if it does want
to start.
But it started all by itself, several times, with nothing on the base.
I recall the Doc mentioning something about that also.  Makes me
wonder if a just diode can be made to do the same thing...

It sounds like what you're saying is that you removed the Startup
Resistor which connects the Base to Vcc in order to provide a small
forward bias to get the transistor conducting in order to initiate
oscillation.

Some transistors do have sufficient internal "leakage" from Collector
to Base and will start oscillation without an external startup resistor.
These transistors are nowadays rather unusual but back in the days
of Germanium transistors this sort of leakage was common.

There is variation in transistor characteristics even within a specific
type;  ie the PN2222.  Each transistor within a production run will have
its own individual specs which will differ from its neighbors slightly.
This is why in certain experimenter applications we find that some
PN2222s will work while other PN2222s will not; but all are actually
good transistors when placed in standard circuits.

The hang-up I'm having is with the transistor heat...

Small transistor heating is the result of excessive current flow;  either
in the pulse magnitude or pulse duration, or both.

When pushed hard transistor heating is unavoidable.  In those cases
it is customary to place a "heat sink" on the transistor to help dissipate
the heat buildup.  With small transistors this may be as simple as a
piece of copper or aluminum carefully glued to the transistor body.
In years past there were special "slip-on" metallic heat sinks into
which the body of the transistor could be inserted.

To minimize heating of the transistor in power applications, such as
your Tesla Tower driver; adjustments must be made to the biasing
arrangement to minimize pulse duration and limit pulse amplitude.
Once oscillations start it is possible to transition the operation of the
transistor into solid Class C efficiency with the Self Bias RC combination
in the Emitter connection to Gnd.

The Capacitor in the Emitter connection will provide a low impedance
current path for the short drive pulses.  The Resistor alongside the
Capacitor will tend to limit prolonged current flow to a low and safe
level in the event the Base Drive pulses are excessively wide.

When carefully "tuned" the Self Bias circuit in the Emitter to Gnd
connection will tend to function as Differentiator where it presents
a low impedance to short pulses and a higher impedance to long
pulses.

This should enable increasing the applied DC Voltage to the transistor
without producing destructive heating.

Disconnecting the Startup Resistor once oscillations begin may be
helpful too in reducing transistor heating.

An alternative would be using a different type of transistor designed
to carry heavy current without excessive heat buildup such as the
Low Vce (Sat), High Gain small transistors (6 Amperes/60 Volts)
referenced earlier.

I have used the PN2222 very briefly in an application where it carried
approximately 10 Amperes of current in pulses shorter than 10 uS.
As I altered circuit parameters the transistor was eventually killed
by a large flyback spike.  It did run for several minutes though without
excessive heating before it was destroyed...

For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open.

As you mentioned, there are differences in even the same type of transistor, I've even seen that with the 2n2222, but now I'm using a pnp3906 type, which although works almost as well in reverse polarity with similar gain, it does not seam to be able to handle the heating quite as well. I've used many different transistors now, most of them do not work as well as the 2n2222 or equivalent ones. The MPSA06 is the normally recommended one, but I can't find those here, yet.
  Running  with no + connection to the base of the transistor seams to make no difference in output,  heating, or starting, in my case.
  Funny thing is that in the past I have been able to at times have my system going fine on 12v without the heat problem, but I still have not figure out what the difference was. It may just be the loading, also.
  Anyway, I just wanted to throw that out there in case someone working on this has found the solution.
The kacher video gave me some hope, as lighting a 60 watt incandescent bulb off of a tiny coil is a minor miracle.

NickZ

Buy me a drink
You have an air core resonation producing rf. Leaving the transistor base flying in the wind of magnetic oscillations will cause the tranny to work.
Self trigggering, hmmm.
Now compare your circuits with the schematics in the Colorado springs notes or the stungutz picture. You only have the first 2 stages.

GK:
   Yes, it's probably the leg of the base of the transistor acting like an small antenna, and thus self biasing, from the stray RF even if there is no positive battery connection to it.  It has been known to happen, I just happened on it by accident.  The RF affects all metal objects everything within a few yards range, which is a bit of a concern.  At least I don't feel any negative reaction from that type of radiation, but my Tv signal does, as it's on rabbit ears at the moment.
  So, what do you think is the cause of what was called the Testilian waves, if they are not EM waves of sorts?
What should we be shaking a stick at???  Can you venture an idea?
I've heard of non EM radiation. And as a dowser, I do feel there is more than meets to eye, or is detectable by meters, scopes, and other instruments that are available, as yet.  As an analogy, it's may be like the wind, you can't see it,  but,  you can feel it.

NickZ

Anyway, I just wanted to throw that out there in case someone
working on this has found the solution.

Aye, there are several solutions.

The MPSA06 is reasonably good for modest power levels as it
has excellent saturation characteristics.

The 3904/3906 types are not well suited for modest power levels.

There are several other transistor choices which will perform
well.  Here is one of my sources.

Good transistor selection and versatile biasing schemes
will surely make the desired difference.

For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open.

Good point about what facts back up the vortex idea of an Exciter/kacher circuit. However I'm not going to get into that for now, as I just want to focus on what I'm working on

A "vortex"! Embarrassing question, isn't it?  ;D
At my knowledge, there is not one fact supporting this idea.

Running  with no + connection to the base of the transistor seams to make no difference in output

The base of a transistor is always internally connected to the collector and to the emitter though capacities, and even to the case if it is metallic.
For example, 2N2222A from SGS:
Ceb=25pF
Ccb=8pF

Buy me a drink
When ever a greater pressure falls to a lower pressure we get a vortex.
Link to Viktor Shauberger and Walter Russel.
Fluid Dynamics http://www.evert.de/eft724e.htm
Walter's Periodic table of elements fits nicely onto Rodin's coil field array. Which by no streatch of the imagniation fits into the Alchemical Manual.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=walter+russell+periodic+table&id=E6C972649665FE5A31C0667010BDA9676E88B342&FORM=IQFRBA

How does everything flow?
« Last Edit: 2012-07-16, 18:11:55 by giantkiller »

The kacher video gave me some hope, as lighting a 60 watt incandescent
bulb off of a tiny coil is a minor miracle.

That must be the video with the small coil which had what looked to
be a slotted copper tube inserted into the core.

I would really like to see that demonstration live* in order to verify
both the circuitry and its operation.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

*I'd like to be there in person to actually observe the circuit at work
and to verify all of the demonstration details.
« Last Edit: 2012-07-16, 23:56:03 by Dumped »

I don't know what you mean by "live" but, here is the link again, with the diagram at the very end of it.
 I'm very curious about the whole device, as I haven't seen anyone light incandescent bulbs with a 2 inch coil.
 He uses a # KT 805 Am  transistor , and a 3 k resistor. There's also a variable capacitor to tune the frequency.
 It may be that the above transistor can handle the 20v, 1.1A, but who know...  Anyone speak Russian?
  link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Sm-xKiStXBQ#!

I'll also try to find something to back up the vortex idea, when I can.  Thanks for the links GK, I'll check them out.

It may be that the above transistor can handle the 20v, 1.1A, but who know...  Anyone speak Russian?
  link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Sm-xKiStXBQ#!

What would be anomalous here? We see that the bulb is not very bright. Its brightness is fully compatible with a power of 22W.

"What would be anomalous here? We see that the bulb is not very bright. Its brightness is fully compatible with a power of 22W."

Although it may not be as bright as a grid connected 220 60 watt bulb, I find it very interesting, none the less.
 No one that I know of has been able to produce even this amount of light from an incandescent bulb, of any voltage, especially using a very small coil running on 1/10 the normal voltage for that bulb.

The fact the Tesla had an electric car that could run at 90 miles per hour using NO battery, and Steven Marks produced many different TPU's that can light a bulb again with no battery, means that there is a lot more that we don't know.  Dr. Stiffler could light leds on practically nothing. 
   "We must learn to walk before we can run"...

Dumped and All:
  As I'm still looking into the workings of the Exciter circuit operation, and how to be able to use 12v or higher input sources without the transistors heat issue, here is an explanation quoted from Dr. Stiffler concerning at least the resistors and the starting of the Exciter circuit. 
Although the Kacher may be somewhat similar in operation, in that it also uses a blocking oscillator, it may not really be the same, I don't assume to know.
The quote is given by Dr. Stiffler (below) explains the function of the 1 meg bias resistor on the transistor's base.

"All the resistors are 1/4W and can be 1/8W. If you wanted to all the resistors (for test exploration only) can be removed after the Exciter starts oscillation. The 1M resistor is only needed to start oscillation at which point the transistor goes into a -R operational mode and does not require the DC bias offered by the base resistor.

This is not a conventional oscillator and (alpha) (gain) is not provided via the normals pathways. I keep correcting people on the assumption that this is a Collpits and even had one fellow fight that it was an Armstrong design. If one needs something conventional to feel good about the design is closest to the Clapp Oscillator. Although as with all my Exciters this is a -R Ultra Bandwidth Bifurcating Oscillator."

As I'm still looking into the workings of the Exciter circuit operation, and
how to be able to use 12v or higher input sources without the transistors
heat issue...

Transistor heating is the result of its operating in a "lossy" biasing mode
and/or pushing the transistor too hard (demanding too much power from
it.)  It may not be possible to attain cool operation of a transistor when it
is delivering significant power to a load - in which case some sort of heat
sink is needed to help remove heat from the transistor to prevent its
destruction.  It is possible to "tune" the biasing and feedback portions of
the transistor circuit to keep heat development to a minimum but without
an oscilloscope it is rather difficult.  It really helps to be able to analyze the
signal at the Base of the transistor when performing the "tuning."

...here is an explanation quoted from Dr. Stiffler concerning at
least the resistors and the starting of the Exciter circuit.  
Although the Kacher may be somewhat similar in operation, in that it also uses
a blocking oscillator, it may not really be the same, I don't assume to know.
The quote is given by Dr. Stiffler (below) explains the function of the 1 meg bias
resistor on the transistor's base.

The "Kacher" method of providing regenerative feedback from the secondary
resonant coil may indeed be very similar to what Dr. Stiffler is doing with his
SEC devices.  The "Kacher" system works because of the nature of the 1/4
wave resonant coil (Tesla Coil) which presents its Low Impedance characteristic
at the Base of the transistor (Feedback Point) and its High Impedance characteristic
at the opposite end of the coil where high voltage manifests.

The 1/4 wavelenth resonant coil is not an effective "antenna" or radiator of RF
energy but it does produce a very powerful near field "induction zone" which is
capable of exciting fluorescent tubes and other devices.

Quote from: Dr. Stiffler
"All the resistors are 1/4W and can be 1/8W. If you wanted to all the
resistors (for test exploration only) can be removed after the Exciter starts oscillation.
The 1M resistor is only needed to start oscillation at which point the transistor goes into
a -R operational mode and does not require the DC bias offered by the base resistor.

This is not a conventional oscillator and (alpha) (gain) is not provided via the normal
pathways. I keep correcting people on the assumption that this is a Collpits and even
had one fellow fight that it was an Armstrong design. If one needs something
conventional to feel good about the design is closest to the Clapp Oscillator. Although
as with all my Exciters this is a -R Ultra Bandwidth Bifurcating Oscillator."

Dr. Stiffler's explanation of the bias resistor function is conventional.  It is needed to
assure that the transistor is "turned on" initially to get the oscillations started.

The "-R operational mode" apparently means "negative resistance" while the "Ultra
Bandwidth Bifurcating Oscillator" is an unstable mode of operation characteristic of
certain microwave oscillators such as the Opto-Electronic Oscillator.  This explains
why the Spectrum Analyzer is essential to "tuning" the Stiffler Oscillator to attain
the broad spectrum output which signifies "multiple resonances."

Parametric Amplification?

In some of Dr. Stiffler's videos he replaces the transistor with a diode once it is
"tuned" and the circuit functions well.  This would seem to indicate that there is
parametric amplification or something similar going on.
« Last Edit: 2012-07-20, 23:04:38 by Dumped »

You know, when I work on the Exciter project, although it is a very difficult one to get working, optimally. It seams to me much more simple and easy to understand, then when words like -R Ultra bandwidth bifurcating Oscillator are used to explain its workings. Parametric Oscillator, and such.  Big words, for relatively simple concepts.
  There may be a difference to a regular RF or HF resonant circuit, as compared to a spacial coherance resonant circuit, but I understand the concept easier than trying to understand the description of it. 
  Thanks for giving me a hand with that...

NickZ

Aye, the Exciter circuit which is essentially a Tesla Coil,
is much simpler than what Dr. Stiffler is aiming for with
his SEC/TSEC (PSEC?) circuits.

The Tesla Coil operates coherently at a single frequency
as determined by the coil dimensions and loading.

Dr. Stiffler's circuits have a very complex operational
mode which does enable the diode to function as an
amplifier when multiple frequencies interact properly.

I know, big words.  You know how Scientists are with
their egghead terminology!  ;)
« Last Edit: 2012-07-22, 08:05:57 by Dumped »

good.

Pages: 1 [2]
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-05-19, 02:39:48