PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-05-05, 17:08:21
News: Registration with the OUR forum is by admin approval.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Magnetic bearings  (Read 6729 times)

Hi All,
A magnetic bearing based on permanent magnets only is difficult but not impossible.
The main problem is starting up. If there's movement in the apparatus (rotation) then the initial dilemma of stability is resolved.
Typically a controller of sorts is used to keep the stability true but this requires power and contributes to losses.
The unit I wish to create is based on 2 spheres one inside the other. The internal sphere will be rotating at very high speeds  so stability from gyroscopic effects are inherent to some degree. At present its a thought process but seems possible. The outer is ideally fixed and can be utilised for probes etc.
The inner will have a HV source connected to it by some means but this can be achieved without physical connection.
 The drive for the centre sphere will be by induction but starting issues come later.
The main components at present to create are the bearings.
Any explanations in text format would be an advantage.
 Cheers for now

Group: Guest
szaxx,

In case you are not already familiar....

Please research the difference between 'passive' and 'active' magnetic bearings.

The ones you have described, with the controls, fall under active magnetic bearings. This is technology used today in the specialized machining and other industries.

Passive magnetic bearings (no controls or required extra energy) are uncommon but also used today.

Here is a link to one of my favorite designs: http://www.magnetal.se/ . They use a hybrid that employs the use of homo-polar discs to aid in stability and loading capabilities.

I am interested in your thoughts about the use of high-voltage to design a magnetic bearing  ;)

Hi WW,

The HV is nothing to do with the bearings, I'll say more if I can work out the rest of the 'missing' info I used to posess   ;)
The first UK production linear motor was built and tested at a place where I have worked. The guys occasionally get in touch so the rotation isn't that much of a problem. OK on the different types of bearings they are another subject that have a massive catalog.
I have a few ideas and they seem to be useful in principle but the stability problems are not addressed by these initial ideas.
Will be looking for info/ideas on the net when time is on my side. Until then its text only......

Steve.

Why don't you use the meissner effect?

Then you can also check out the glitter and glamour that goes with it like high speed rotating superconductors which levitate and produce electrons that move into the underlying superconducting layer of the dual layer ceramic disk and become cooper pairs that in turn modify local gravity field.

:)

Hi,
The Messiner effect? Nobody ever mentions his friend Robert O... From 1933 of course. No mention of superconductors but a good idea. Probably a little expensive lol.
The name of the game is generating a magnetic platform to suspend a sphere that can be initially set in any orientation. Gravity is not too helpful in this respect. It sounds simple but there's no axial protusions, just a sphere. It wouldn't be a problem if these were included.
Understanding this makes it more of a challenge. Any thoughts are welcome. Steve.

you can do that with a couple of coils and a couple of hall effect sensors and a micro.
well and a progrogram offcource.

that's all you need.

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-05-05, 17:08:21