OverUnity Research

DIY Test Equipment & Projects => DIY Oscillators => Topic started by: Groundloop on 2012.04.20, 16:48:06

Title: XTAL Oscillator
Post by: Groundloop on 2012.04.20, 16:48:06
Hi,

Can anybody please help me with this oscillator?

The oscillator runs but the output after the low pass filter is only 100mV.
The low pass filter has a starting cutoff point of approx. 81KHz.

I need at least 5 volt peak to peak at the output.

GL.
Title: Re: XTAL Oscillator
Post by: poynt99 on 2012.04.20, 17:10:13
You could try a switched capacitor filter (http://www.ti.com/product/LMF100#description) instead of the multi-pole passive low-pass. You could also take the 100mV and run it up through an amplifier.

If what you want is a crystal controlled, or tightly controlled sinusoidal source, I would suggest a DDS chip.
Title: Re: XTAL Oscillator
Post by: Groundloop on 2012.04.20, 17:26:23
.99,

Thanks, I will take a look at the link.

GL.
Title: Re: XTAL Oscillator
Post by: poynt99 on 2012.04.20, 18:30:19
I tried the switched capacitor trick about 25 years ago. I think I still have the pcb. It may have been a MF10 chip though.

Anyway, it did a nice job of filtering out all but the fundamental of the square wave on its input. The output level didn't drop much if I recall correctly.

In addition to the LMF100 linked above, this LTC1063 (http://cds.linear.com/docs/Datasheet/1063fa.pdf) also looks promising (5th order).
Title: Re: XTAL Oscillator
Post by: Groundloop on 2012.04.20, 19:23:50
.99,

Thanks, the LTC1063 looks good. But that will be on the next project. :-)

I got the oscillator up to speed now. I did forget to put a series resistor
inline with the xtal. Now I get approx. 5 volt ptp out of the low pass filter.
And it looks like a nice sinus.

Thanks,
GL.
Title: Re: XTAL Oscillator
Post by: Groundloop on 2012.04.26, 10:42:36
Hi,

I still have problems with my oscillator. The oscillator starts up but is running
on two different frequencies at the same time. One is the xtal frequency of 77.5 KHz.
The other is some low frequency (around 5 Hz). The output looks like a 5 Hz amplitude
modulated (with 77.5KHz) signal.

Anybody know how to get rid of the low frequency oscillation?

GL.
Title: Re: XTAL Oscillator
Post by: Peterae on 2012.04.26, 10:52:40
maybe a coupling capacitor will knock the low Hz out if you can tolerate loosing the dc coupling.
Title: Re: XTAL Oscillator
Post by: Groundloop on 2012.04.26, 18:16:17
Quote from: Peterae on 2012.04.26, 10:52:40
maybe a coupling capacitor will knock the low Hz out if you can tolerate loosing the dc coupling.

P,

Thanks. I will try that solution. But the real question is why this happens?

I have built many xtal oscillators over the years, but this is the first time
I have seen such a double frequency oscillations. I also noticed that
the oscillation was sinus but that is maybe because this inverter (4069)
is not an  Schmitt Trigger? Any idea on what capacitor value that will pass
the 77.5 KHz but not the 5 Hz?

GL.
Title: Re: XTAL Oscillator
Post by: Peterae on 2012.04.26, 19:27:01
As long as your power rail is decoupled i would think it the internals to the chip, there's not much else really from what i see, you could try switching to a 74HC and see if that cures things

If this calculator is right then a 2.2uF would have an impedance of 0.93 Ohm at 77.5 kHz and 14.469 KOhm at 5Hz
Just google capacitive impedance calculator if you want to play, it can also depend what you are driving as well.
Title: Re: XTAL Oscillator
Post by: Groundloop on 2012.04.26, 19:58:47
Quote from: Peterae on 2012.04.26, 19:27:01
As long as your power rail is decoupled i would think it the internals to the chip, there's not much else really from what i see, you could try switching to a 74HC and see if that cures things

If this calculator is right then a 2.2uF would have an impedance of 0.93 Ohm at 77.5 kHz and 14.469 KOhm at 5Hz
Just google capacitive impedance calculator if you want to play, it can also depend what you are driving as well.

Peter,

Thanks. I will try the capacitor in my circuit. I can not use 74HC because my power rail is 12 Volt.
But the HEF40106BP is pin compatible with the CD4069 that I'm using now, so I can try that IC
also. The largest capacitor I can fit onto my PCB is a 100nF SMD size 0603 so I did the math
for that one.

C = 100nF
Impedance (Z):
0.02053612903225806 Ohm at 77.5 KHz
318309.99999999994  Ohm at 5 Hz.

So I get 318K Ohm at 77.5 KHz. That is not bad at all.

The output of the oscillator is buffered to one inverter and that inverter is feed to a low pass filter.
The low pass filter starts to cut at approximately 81 KHz.

Thanks for the help, Peter.

GL.
Title: Re: XTAL Oscillator
Post by: EMdevices on 2012.04.26, 20:00:20
Quote.... But the real question is why this happens?

Groundloop,   are you sure that the low frequency is not 7.3 Hz?   LOL   ;D   O0

Very interesting.

EM
Title: Re: XTAL Oscillator
Post by: Peterae on 2012.04.26, 20:41:00
Np Groundloop, worth a try anyway. The value sounds good  O0
Title: Re: XTAL Oscillator
Post by: Groundloop on 2012.04.26, 22:25:58
Quote from: EMdevices on 2012.04.26, 20:00:20
Groundloop,   are you sure that the low frequency is not 7.3 Hz?   LOL   ;D   O0

Very interesting.

EM

EM,

:-) I just eyeballed it on the scope so it could be 7.3 Hz. :-)

GL.
Title: Re: XTAL Oscillator
Post by: Groundloop on 2012.04.27, 07:28:03
All,

This oscillator is really starting to piss me off. :(

There is no way I can get this oscillator to work as it should.

The low frequency sinus is going right through my low pass
filter. The low pass filter have two capacitor is series but
the low frequency sinus has the same amplitude as the
high frequency sinus. No damping at all!

I think that there must be some issue with the crystal I'm using.

GL.
Title: Re: XTAL Oscillator
Post by: Peterae on 2012.04.27, 09:49:24
Sounds very strange, what's the impedance of the item it feeding.
Title: Re: XTAL Oscillator
Post by: Groundloop on 2012.04.27, 09:59:12
Quote from: Peterae on 2012.04.27, 09:49:24
Sounds very strange, what's the impedance of the item it feeding.

Peter,

The oscillator is at inverter 1 of the 4069 IC. The output of the oscillator
goes to inverter 2 of the same IC. The output of the inverter 2 goes
via a capacitor to the low pass filter. So the first inverter output is feeding
a impedance in the very high Ohm range.

I have tested the circuit on a 12 volt battery also but the oscillation is
still approx. 5 Hz and also 77.5 KHz. The 77.5 KHz is amplitude modulated
onto the 5 Hz so the 5 Hz also goes straight through the capacitors and
low pass filter.

So it is impossible to filter out the 5 Hz with a capacitor.

GL.

Title: Re: XTAL Oscillator
Post by: Peterae on 2012.04.27, 11:39:59
Yes the load impedance is important, your capacitor is in effect acting as a 318K at 5Hz so you will only kill it if the load is smaller, so if your load is 318K also then you would expect the 5Hz component to be half the amplitude it was previously.

I think you are going to end up with an op amp oscillator circuit.
The only other way i can think of is to make a trap for the 5Hz, maybe a tuned circuit to ground that is set for 5Hz, i am not so good on theory of this horrible analogue stuff  8), which seems you are in the same boat, we are both digital people  :)

Title: Re: XTAL Oscillator
Post by: Groundloop on 2012.04.27, 12:50:11
Quote from: Peterae on 2012.04.27, 11:39:59
Yes the load impedance is important, your capacitor is in effect acting as a 318K at 5Hz so you will only kill it if the load is smaller, so if your load is 318K also then you would expect the 5Hz component to be half the amplitude it was previously.

I think you are going to end up with an op amp oscillator circuit.
The only other way i can think of is to make a trap for the 5Hz, maybe a tuned circuit to ground that is set for 5Hz, i am not so good on theory of this horrible analogue stuff  8), which seems you are in the same boat, we are both digital people  :)



P,

I have already designed a new separate oscillator, but I wanted so much to know
what is the reason why this digital oscillator did what it did. It looks like the xtal
is oscillating on 5 Hz with a 77.5KHz on top of that. I have tried to draw it.

GL.
Title: Re: XTAL Oscillator
Post by: Peterae on 2012.04.27, 13:36:07
Wow man that 5Hz is way bigger in amplitude than your 77.5kHz i thought it was the other way around  :-\
Are you sure it's 5Hz and 77.5kHz because if it was you would not be seeing both waveforms clearly, because there would be 15500 full wave cycles of 77.5kHz in one cycle of 5Hz
Title: Re: XTAL Oscillator
Post by: Groundloop on 2012.04.27, 14:31:11
Quote from: Peterae on 2012.04.27, 13:36:07
Wow man that 5Hz is way bigger in amplitude than your 77.5kHz i thought it was the other way around  :-\
Are you sure it's 5Hz and 77.5kHz because if it was you would not be seeing both waveforms clearly, because there would be 15500 full wave cycles of 77.5kHz in one cycle of 5Hz


Peter,

It is very hard to explain. The two sinus frequencies are the same in amplitude on my o-scope.
I will be off my lab until middle of next week, but I will bring my camera to my lab and take some pictures
of the o-scope for you then.

Have a nice weekend.

GL.
Title: Re: XTAL Oscillator
Post by: EMdevices on 2012.04.28, 16:07:57
Than it sounds like multiple overtones present, which produce the illusion of a 5 hz frequency, so you need L C filtering to keep the correct frequency and discard the rest.  Or most likely you have the wrong crystal and you are driving it too hard and it creates distortions.
EM

PS I was in the lab a month ago and the guys were trying to fix this very same problem on an old UHF radio. The procedure was quite involved, step by step adjustment of capacitors in different tank circuits.  That's the problem with overtone circuits. Fundamental xttals are easier some what.
Title: Re: XTAL Oscillator
Post by: Groundloop on 2012.04.28, 17:55:50
Quote from: EMdevices on 2012.04.28, 16:07:57
Than it sounds like multiple overtones present, which produce the illusion of a 5 hz frequency, so you need L C filtering to keep the correct frequency and discard the rest.  Or most likely you have the wrong crystal and you are driving it too hard and it creates distortions.
EM

PS I was in the lab a month ago and the guys were trying to fix this very same problem on an old UHF radio. The procedure was quite involved, step by step adjustment of capacitors in different tank circuits.  That's the problem with overtone circuits. Fundamental xttals are easier some what.

EM,

I think you are right about the above. I will try out different values on the crystal series resistor.

GL.
Title: Re: XTAL Oscillator
Post by: Groundloop on 2012.04.30, 09:35:45
Peter,

Here is the scope shots I promised.

GL.
Title: Re: XTAL Oscillator
Post by: Thaelin on 2012.04.30, 10:11:55
   You have to be looking at harmonic hell here. Have you looked this over in a spectrum analyzer?
Bet its rich..
thay
Title: Re: XTAL Oscillator
Post by: EMdevices on 2012.04.30, 14:36:55
GL,

I retract what I said before, now that I'm looking at your scope shots.

You have a beautiful and pure frequency!  I don't see any harmonics!  The last graph is so common to see with digital scopes when it's zoomed out, so there is no 5 hz modulating frequency.  That patern you're seeing is the beat frequency between your digital display and your pure signal.

Good job, you had it working all along!

EM
Title: Re: XTAL Oscillator
Post by: Groundloop on 2012.04.30, 16:01:23
Quote from: EMdevices on 2012.04.30, 14:36:55
GL,

I retract what I said before, now that I'm looking at your scope shots.

You have a beautiful and pure frequency!  I don't see any harmonics!  The last graph is so common to see with digital scopes when it's zoomed out, so there is no 5 hz modulating frequency.  That patern you're seeing is the beat frequency between your digital display and your pure signal.

Good job, you had it working all along!

EM

EM,

I'm used to use analog scopes.

Are you saying that this digital scope is just fooling me?

I will dig out my old 20MHz analog scope and check the oscillator, later on.

Thanks for the help. :-)

GL.
Title: Re: XTAL Oscillator
Post by: poynt99 on 2012.04.30, 16:18:10
I concur with EM.
Title: Re: XTAL Oscillator
Post by: Peterae on 2012.04.30, 18:12:07
Wow i have learnt something as well   8) explains why the cap did not work then.
Title: Re: XTAL Oscillator
Post by: Groundloop on 2012.04.30, 20:47:17
All,

I went to my lab and did dig out the old 20MHz analog o-scope.
I saw a beautiful clean sinus at 77.5KHz on the scope. :-)

So I did learn something new today, read the digital scope manual. LOL

Thank you all for the help in this matter. :-)

GL.
Title: Re: XTAL Oscillator
Post by: Thaelin on 2012.04.30, 21:25:34
   Guess I had better apologize  for my comment. Using a 4069 it would seem to me
you should get harmonics. Guess not. 

   On the other hand, looks like I dont want one of the new scopes either. Have 3
older ones and think I will stay with them. The Tek needs a bit of work but think
now its worth it.

   To top all that, looks like I found the perfect osc for my little project as well. Thanks
all for putting up with me.

thay
Title: Re: XTAL Oscillator
Post by: Groundloop on 2012.04.30, 22:55:41
Quote from: thaelin on 2012.04.30, 21:25:34
  Guess I had better apologize  for my comment. Using a 4069 it would seem to me
you should get harmonics. Guess not.  

  On the other hand, looks like I dont want one of the new scopes either. Have 3
older ones and think I will stay with them. The Tek needs a bit of work but think
now its worth it.

  To top all that, looks like I found the perfect osc for my little project as well. Thanks
all for putting up with me.

thay


Thay,

No problem. :-)

Well now I can move on with the rest of my project.
Currently writing firmware for my new circuit.
Attached is a look at my new board. :-)

GL.
Title: Re: XTAL Oscillator
Post by: muDped on 2012.05.01, 06:16:20
The third scope shot (http://www.overunityresearch.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1420.0;attach=7857) in Groundloop's reply #22 is similar
to the classic Supressed Carrier DSB waveform.  The
envelope peaks are rounded and the nulls are very sharp.
This is characteristic of two equal amplitude signals which
are close to the same frequency.  In Single Sideband tests
signals of 1.0 KHz and 3.0 KHz are used to evaluate the
Balanced Modulator for carrier leakage.  With no carrier
present the waveforms are exactly as depicted in the shot.

What is it about the Digital Scope which produces such a
spurious display?
Title: Re: XTAL Oscillator
Post by: Peterae on 2012.05.01, 08:36:32
What are you building GL not sure i have read that yet? maybe i missed it
Looks good as usual  O0
Title: Re: XTAL Oscillator
Post by: Groundloop on 2012.05.01, 11:49:25
Quote from: Peterae on 2012.05.01, 08:36:32
What are you building GL not sure i have read that yet? maybe i missed it
Looks good as usual  O0

Peter,

I'm building a DCF77 simulator. The unit uses a GPS to get date and time
and has a built in modulator to make the same AM modulated 1 bit / Sec
data stream, transmitting on 77.5KHz, as the original atomic clock in Germany.
My unit has a VERY low power and the DCF77 clock must be within 10cm of the
antenna. Has not got my firmware to run OK yet, but is working on that. I will
not put this project on the net. But you can find others that have built similar
projects by Google it. My unit is special because of the small size.

GL.
Title: Re: XTAL Oscillator
Post by: Peterae on 2012.05.01, 18:22:36
I see  O0 quiet handy if you have a time switched tarriff electricity meter then  C.C
Title: Re: XTAL Oscillator
Post by: Groundloop on 2012.05.01, 21:12:35
Quote from: Peterae on 2012.05.01, 18:22:36
I see  O0 quiet handy if you have a time switched tarriff electricity meter then  C.C

Peter,

I do not think that electricity meters use DCF77 because of limited RF coverage.
The one I have seen uses the Internet via RF to connect to the power suppliers.

My unit may become handy in areas where the DCF77 has no radio coverage
and people have clocks that uses the DCF77 to get the correct time. The DCF77
transmitter in Germany has a RF coverage of approx. 2000Km. So if you have
a unit that relay on the DCF77 time signal, and your are outside of that coverage,
then you have to provide that signal yourself. :-)

GL.

Title: Re: XTAL Oscillator
Post by: Peterae on 2012.05.01, 21:28:02
must be different to the UK system then, they use it here to sync the meter's and clocks, Ive never really looked into it but i think theres a big transmitter somewhere that sends out the time signal.