OverUnity Research

Measurement Techniques and Equipment => Power Measurements => Topic started by: TinselKoala on 2017.08.13, 05:22:08

Title: Power Meter identification
Post by: TinselKoala on 2017.08.13, 05:22:08
Does anyone know the exact make and model of this power meter that Nelson Rocha is using in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAtRv6PneNs

Note especially the last appearance of the "overload" message and the "0 Watts" indication towards the end of the video at about 8:10 --
while the vacuum cleaner is plugged directly into the meter and _not_ through the "white box". 


I think this video shows not an "electron trap" but rather a "sucker trap".
Title: Re: Power Meter identification
Post by: Centraflow on 2017.08.13, 10:29:36
I think I have seen this type in Aldi over here in Spain, sorry no name or model, I nearly bought one, maybe I should have ;)

Regards

Mike 8)
Title: Re: Power Meter identification
Post by: gotoluc on 2017.08.13, 19:54:07
Quote from: TinselKoala on 2017.08.13, 05:22:08
I think this video shows not an "electron trap" but rather a "sucker trap".

Yes ;)

I say forget about meters!... add a 1 or 2 Amp fuse to the line cord (per box) and if he can still power the vacuum without the fuse blowing, then it would be a device to seriously consider.

Luc
Title: Re: Power Meter identification
Post by: Peterae on 2017.08.13, 20:52:47
It's a cheap Chinese model but could be branded as anything i suppose.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-EU-plug-energy-meter-Watt-Volt-Amp-Meter-Analyzer-power-meter/32777329169.html?spm=2114.search0304.4.135.u6rEDl

I've not found the manual yet though  >:(

EDIT
and another version
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/2015-Summer-Promotional-Cheap-Price-Digital_60255834840.html

Here's the manual for the US version
http://eco-worthy.com/download/manual/meterUSA.pdf
Title: Re: Power Meter identification
Post by: TinselKoala on 2017.08.13, 21:40:34
Thanks for that link to the manual.  Reading the manual, I can't quite tell if I've misinterpreted the "overload" messages that appear in the video, or not. Nevertheless it's clear from the experiences of others that meters of that general type are very easy to fool.

Luc's suggested fuse test would not be so easy to fool, though. Will we see such a test performed?
Title: Re: Power Meter identification
Post by: Peterae on 2017.08.14, 07:16:15
Hi Tk

It looks like the overload function is settable for either Amps or Watts and can be set to a user value, if the measured Amps or Watts exceeds the set value then Overload will flash on the screen, maybe if the overload mode is set then overload will not flash if the value is not exceeded but remain constant to say it is in Overload Alarm mode.

Regards
Peter