OverUnity Research

Electrical / Electronic Theory and Learning Center => Learning Center Miscellaneous => Topic started by: Grumpy on 2022.07.06, 23:21:10

Title: 4500 VDC MOSFETS ?
Post by: Grumpy on 2022.07.06, 23:21:10
https://www.mouser.com/new/ixys/ixys-4500vmosfet-mosfet/

IXYS 4500V High Voltage Power MOSFETs

pretty expensive, but interesting...
Title: Re: 4500 VDC MOSFETS ?
Post by: F6FLT on 2022.07.07, 06:53:24
Impressive!   O0
I love the electronics industry. It makes components that I wouldn't have even dreamed of 10 years ago.
Title: Re: 4500 VDC MOSFETS ?
Post by: Grumpy on 2022.07.07, 18:13:05
Triggering a MOSFET with a @N3904 transistor in avalanche mode (see attached file).

Building a pulse generator for 4kv appears to be possible.

Edit: attached file
Title: Re: 4500 VDC MOSFETS ?
Post by: gyula on 2022.07.07, 22:58:55

I came across this manufacturer some years ago on the web, they manufacture really high voltage rated solid state switches like thyristors, MOSFETs, IGBTs, also now in Silicon Carbide tech. 
   
https://www.behlke.com/ (https://www.behlke.com/)    https://www.behlke.com/productlines.htm (https://www.behlke.com/productlines.htm)   The prices are surely high and sent by request.  The ON resistances are much lower.

There is this paper from 1991 on a fast 8 kV switch using stacked MOSFETs and components of that era, maybe the principle can be used to build such HV solid state switches still less expensively for 4-5 kV than a dedicated single 4-5 kV device itself costs.
http://bromine.cchem.berkeley.edu/grppub/frbm2.pdf (http://bromine.cchem.berkeley.edu/grppub/frbm2.pdf) 

Gyula



Title: Re: 4500 VDC MOSFETS ?
Post by: gyula on 2022.07.07, 23:01:38
Quote from: Grumpy on 2022.07.07, 18:13:05
Triggering a MOSFET with a @N3904 transistor in avalanche mode (see attached file).

Building a pulse generator for 4kv appears to be possible.

No file attached?
Title: Re: 4500 VDC MOSFETS ?
Post by: AlienGrey on 2022.07.08, 07:38:16
Do you mean this post I posted on Dally thread ?
Its on page 1476 !

Sil
Title: Re: 4500 VDC MOSFETS ?
Post by: AlienGrey on 2022.07.08, 07:47:50
Also you dont have to use the PW chip device you can do it with a NE555
The problem with Mos Fets is it's capacitance and to get 1000 volt devices
you have to totem-pole them one way or another  C.C and if one goes pop they all go pop  :'(

Another way is to use ultra fast VHF transistors again Enjoykin 2 published a circuit on the Dally thread
over on Over Unity. I'm sure you can find it I did have it on a slide but some troll has  found a way of converting
JPG files to crud via a vbs file that's now doing the rounds so be aware!
Title: Re: 4500 VDC MOSFETS ?
Post by: Grumpy on 2022.07.08, 16:57:40
I edited my post to attached the article by Baker.

Sorry, I've never looked at the Dally thread to see what it is about...
Title: Re: 4500 VDC MOSFETS ?
Post by: Grumpy on 2022.07.11, 19:56:40
I ordered a couple of these 4500v MOSFETs to try building and pulse generator using a 2N3904 or FMMT411 as an avalanche transistor trigger.

Should make for some serious fun!