PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2019-02-19, 17:36:51
News: Forum TIP:
The SHOUT BOX deletes messages after 3 hours. It is NOT meant to have lengthy conversations in. Use the Chat feature instead.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: High Resolution TPU photos  (Read 43759 times)

Hi Grumpy

I would love to build one :D, what was your last circuit where you started to get some sort of result?

You mention an oil ignition transformer, they are usually 15kv+15kv @50 or 60hz depending on which side of the pond you are. Ionization units from gas water heaters are good and very small, they run off 1.5v (2 X D cells in parallel).

That small unit of SM really does not have much in the way of component or even hide anything. I would say that the frame was from a speaker mount, it rings a bell with me that I have seen it before :-\ just can't remember where.

regards

Mike

---------------------------
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."
Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

As a general rule, the most successful person in life is the person that has the best information.

tExB=qr
Seeing something is easy.  Turning it into something more useful is the challenge.

My ignition transformer is one of the one of the old France models, at 10kv.  I run this through a 5000pf cap (homemade) and then a diode bridge (15kv MW oven diodes) and then through two spark gap in series, an old air-core coil for a load.  At certain setting for the gap, energy builds up around the supply transformer.  It's like a strong static charge, much stronger than 10kv should be.  It will readily go across your body to ground.  The ign. transformer is not grounded, just plugged in with two prongs.  I could never get this field with the ground connected.  IT scared the crap out of me and was hard to work with when I could even get it to show up.

Did the same with a little flyback transformer at about 2kv, different bridge and more caps, this shorted the transistor and set it on fire.  Awesome!  I replaced that and with further tweaking had the field around the 12v supply that ran the flyback.  Same as above but smaller.  You have to touch metal in the field to short it, but it will always short transistors when it builds up enough to do so.  This also with two series spark gaps adjusted just right.

While interesting, I stopped playing with that.  It seemed as though the energy fed from the wall socket got stopped at the power supplies and sat there building up, until it could discharge or you turned it off.  Spark at the gaps, viewed with a voltage divider (resistive) was very fast, and little current was getting through at all.  Very thin weak sparks.  Spark gaps are a real pain.

Moving on, I tried this two-gap stuff on one of my avalanche transistor stacks.  They are as fast or faster than the gaps.  I shorted something like 17 avalanche transistors in the stack of about 20.  No joke. This stuff is just looking for a ground.  Like a tank full of air waiting to be let out.

People who know about this will read my descriptions and know I really experienced it.  This is the snowflake on top of the iceberg.

Latest work was with shift registers (with a gate to auto-start) or johnson counters.  I drove these off a 555 then changed to a freq generator for broader sweep range and finer control.  I still use long avalanche stacks.   Triggering has been a real pain.   I use those brick-type hv dc-dc converters as they are current-limited and I don't need or want a lot of current.

SM's method uses the bifilar coils with one delayed and this requires less wire than spherics method of large coils.   With bifilar coils you need precise signals and precise delay, dc bias or bias coils, hv square waves.  Spherics method requires precise building, bias coils, long coils, hv pulsing.

Frequency equals matter...

Buy me a drink
The TPUs can never be grounded or attached to any ground based conduction. SM's tpus were never grounded. The device is a large flailing, elecrostatically pumping collector of bemf from the surrounding environment. The excitation is channeled to a load, which also floats.

@Grumpy,
You now know this...
So did you or I let the cat out of the bag on this one?  :-X

This why SM stated everything had to be inside of the unit.
I hate to sound smug but boy did he ever take everybody for a ride.  >:-)
The LTPU is actually the exploded view.
« Last Edit: 2013-12-20, 23:00:42 by giantkiller »

---------------------------

tExB=qr
The TPUs can never be grounded or attached to any ground based conduction. SM's tpus were never grounded. The device is a large flailing, elecrostatically pumping collector of bemf from the surrounding environment. The excitation is channeled to a load, which also floats.

That's not how I would describe it.

It doesn't need a ground since it induces charge separation; similar to a magnet moving into a solenoid coil, which also does not require a ground.

Why not build three half wavelength coils, apply a bridge rectified sine wave (effectively making the half wavelength coils full wavelength coils), duplicate that circuit and delay it, then put the coils in a circle (toroid). One switch, one sine wave, frequency should be the resonant to triple wavelength or higher, should work unless I'm missing something here. Then you could use a saturable reactor to sharpen the pulse and you only have one wave to worry about. Saturable reactors are expensive though. Don't forget bias coils and dc offsets!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2019-02-19, 17:36:51