PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-03-29, 04:59:28
News: A feature is available which provides a place all members can chat, either publicly or privately.
There is also a "Shout" feature on each page. Only available to members.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Laptop computers and their batteries, be warned.  (Read 544 times)

Group: Experimentalist

Buy me a beer
I have noticed a problem with my laptop computer over the last few months, it works great, but the keyboard is starting to bulge up and the mouse pad is deforming, so out with the screwdriver and look what is going on.

The photo below is the battery, it is common to many laptops, ASUS, HP, etc. I have removed it and only using the computer with the external power supply, all is back to normal.

The thing is the battery works ok and holds it's charge but looking at it's swollen form, it is about to explode. Looking on the net it seems many have the same problem, I have ordered a replacement at 32€ from Amazon which was the cheapest, some are 80€ :D

The one ordered is not OEM and just maybe better than the original which is 2 years old.

Just a warning, if you see your keyboard rising up or your mouse pad deforming then your battery is in a dangerous state, remove it and replace it.

Regards

Mike 8)

---------------------------
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."
Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

As a general rule, the most successful person in life is the person that has the best information.

Buy me a beer
More photos

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."

As a general rule, the most successful person in life is the person that has the best information.

Group: Tech Wizard

Hi Mike,

Years ago a friend of mine told me he had pierced a small hole with a needle on the surface and certain 'air' came out via the puncture and the swelling went down to normal.

The 'air' smelt as kinda paint thinner (diluent) so you may wish to make the puncture in open air. He used the battery after that for months but no info for how long.

So it looked like an overpressure developed inside the wrapping up, probably due to the heating effect of the charge / discharge process and somehow kinda 'gas' disengaged.  Maybe the kind of glue used inside the wrapping up developes 'gas' as a slow response for heat.

Maybe it is worth trying to puncture the wrapped surface to see whether 'air' can escape and the mechanical size goes back to normal.

Gyula

Buy me a beer
Hi Mike,

Years ago a friend of mine told me he had pierced a small hole with a needle on the surface and certain 'air' came out via the puncture and the swelling went down to normal.

The 'air' smelt as kinda paint thinner (diluent) so you may wish to make the puncture in open air. He used the battery after that for months but no info for how long.

So it looked like an overpressure developed inside the wrapping up, probably due to the heating effect of the charge / discharge process and somehow kinda 'gas' disengaged.  Maybe the kind of glue used inside the wrapping up developes 'gas' as a slow response for heat.

Maybe it is worth trying to puncture the wrapped surface to see whether 'air' can escape and the mechanical size goes back to normal.

Gyula

Hi Gyula

I thought of doing that but worried if in the end I would have a liquid leak which would ruin my computer. I will investigate using it outside the computer with a pinhole on each side. A new battery is ordered and will be with me on Thursday next week, I like my laptop as I can take it with me when I go away, I plug my phone into it for internet with 4G, works a treat O0

Regards

Mike 8)

PS I think the gas is hydrogen, have not looked that up but I record something about that with li-ion batteries and why they explode, shorting apart.

Group: Tech Wizard

Well, if there is fear of liquid leakage, then after the gas (whatever it is) comes out, the small puncture could be covered by a piece of self adhesive tape to seal it again. (My friend did not mention any liquid coming out, very likely there was not any, it was Li-Po type.) 
Of course I respect your want of protecting the laptop.   O0

Gyula

Buy me a beer
The gas is hydrogen fluoride, toxic and inflammable.

I have used a pin to make a hole on each side, quite a pressure inside, now flat like new and I have covered the holes with tape and all seems well.

I will keep this battery as a reserve as a new one is on the way.

Could be the charging module is not good, they are built into the battery, as overheating from overcharging usually causes this gasing and can ignite or explode I have read :D

They are wet electrolytes in Lipos as expected and will gas if overheated.

Regards

Mike 8)

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-03-29, 04:59:28