PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2021-10-26, 13:22:22
News: A feature is available which provides a place all members can chat, either publicly or privately.
There is also a "Shout" feature on each page. Only available to members.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: 3D Printer Help, Discussions and Designs  (Read 8035 times)
Group: Ambassador

Plastic
We desperately need solutions to what we use everyday and what we do with it once we’re done with it

You want to get ill ?
Look at the global nightmare with recycling plastic !

Has fallen drastically short ...

Here a young man started a grass root open source journey...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=76AFNIxYjUE

And absolutely ....3D printing is a huge part of solution !

We need more like this ( I am looking into how to join this recycling effort and be effective!
And I see they make their own plastic feed stock for 3D printing!

AC
Blender?.

Started using the software a week ago and it's like CAD on steroids. Super easy to create 3D meshes and save/edit as stl files. I suspect this is 90% faster than using FreeCad or other programs and it's open source/free.

This guy using blender is incredible...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jHUY3qoBu8

End quote

Absolutely amazing !!
Thx
Chet

Group: Moderator

Chet
What I find truly amazing is that a person can create a 3D model in this software then 3D print it and have a form literally impossible to make any other way.

It's not what we see on the outside but the internal geometry which I find so exciting. I used to dream about creating these kinds of complex forms in the past however the sheer complexity made it almost impossible. I can't say enough good things about 3D printing and it's hard to imagine not having one now.

Regards
AC

---------------------------
Comprehend and Copy Nature... Viktor Schauberger

“Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.” George Bernard Shaw

Plastic
We desperately need solutions to what we use everyday and what we do with it once we’re done with it

You want to get ill ?
Look at the global nightmare with recycling plastic !

The solution is anaerobic pyrolytic conversion.

Bake the stuff and fractionally distill the ensuing gunk.

But we need to solve the problems of mild steel filament.

Printed a few of these yesterday...

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:56298

A 3D printed ball bearing using 6mm airsoft bb's with a snap together cage. It has less than 1mm of play and ran smooth with very little friction. Some could ask what use it has and I thought of many reasons.

It's not well known but metal ball bearings show a great deal of drag under the influence of strong magnet fields. They also conduct electricity scoring the races or arcing over at higher voltages however a plastic bearing has none of these faults. I have to wonder how the new ceramic PLA would stand up?, it could solve the wear issue.

Regards
AC 

“Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.” George Bernard Shaw

Printed a few of these yesterday...

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:56298

A 3D printed ball bearing using 6mm airsoft bb's

It would be good to know the Vickers Hardness Number of this material to compare with the value for standard engineering ball bearings.

But it is easy to be obsessed with high performance. Low or Moderate performace may be enough and the benefits that you allude to of the non magnetic properties come to the fore. This is fine for a technology demonstrator but the problem may return when building a full scale prototype.
« Last Edit: 2021-03-27, 11:14:25 by Paul-R »

Group: Elite Experimentalist

bump

Thanks Itsu, this is the one.  I have a great printer but am absolutely bad at cad use. I can do simple things but that is it. What I need is a printed base that has a .75 inch square block in the center with a .5 hole for round mags to fit. On both sides of that, I would like to have a 45 degree slanted piece so that the magnet can be angled and not hit the coil face.  Two mounting holes for screws to bolt it to a rotor as well.  Hope that description is ok, can try and up a pic if necessary.

Group: Elite Experimentalist

Hi Thaelin,

i just noticed in the chat box the request for the 3D printer thread, so i searched for it and bumped it.

I have no 3D printer myself, but many here do, so hopefully those with one and knowledge about it could help you.

A drawing would tell more then a thousand words, so yes "up a pic" if you can.

Regards Itsu 

You have to be careful with CAD and 3D printers. I am pretty sure that some printers will only feed off particular software.

Group: Administrator

Buy me some coffee
Thaelin
Try to do a rough sketch, are you able to slice the stl (cad file) ok?

Hi Peter:
     Yes I can do .stl just fine. I use an EMack running Cura and its a great mix. Win can not even see the printer?????  Will
sketch up a model and try to  post it here.
thay

Group: Mad Scientist

Hi Peter:
     Yes I can do .stl just fine. I use an EMack running Cura and its a great mix. Win can not even see the printer?????  Will
sketch up a model and try to  post it here.
thay

Designspark Mechanical is free and can easily do the holes in the cube as you wish, with beveled edges. Have it but not gotten into it that far yet.

Thanks much Mags, only for Win84 and I only have Linux machines and the eMac. Always a fight
to do simple things it seems.

Group: Administrator

Buy me some coffee
I use free cad, find it fairly fast to use but it has issues ie topological naming issue which is annoying, thanks mags will check that out when I get some time.

Peterae

I also use Freecad 0.18 with the A2Plus addon to help merge parts.

For the the really funky tapered/twisted/multi-curved forms I started using Blender, https://www.blender.org/

Regards
AC

Buy me some coffee
Peterae

I also use Freecad 0.18 with the A2Plus addon to help merge parts.

For the the really funky tapered/twisted/multi-curved forms I started using Blender, https://www.blender.org/

Regards
AC

I have used Blender since 2008 and I took a long break (5 years) now I'm back at it. I have win 7 ultimate and an old Dell something or other?? LOL, but blender never lets me down. Im using 2.79 atm. Im looking to start up an online graphics firm by the first of the year. I got into electrical engineering and got myself a Mars Pro 2. I've used it 3 times, 2 fails and 1 success but over all after covid hit I never printed again. I got hit with a major loss in income and I know that being novice to 3D printing Im bound to break something so Im just sitting on this printer. Sad times. I went to school for Architectural Design and Blueprinting I can operate a few of the cad apps today but I find that Blender really cuts out a bunch of extra work that I already do with a ruler and pencil. I really enjoy hand-drafting everything first. It gives me a better idea because I focus more on everything. I can then load that draft into blender and model, animate, and bam I'm happy. Works well with ChiTuBox

I recently joined this Forum and Im finding some really great minds. I hope to get more involved in the coming months as this project Im currently working on will soon be open sourced and hope to bring something new to the table. I have always been fascinated with water and electricity. My wife fell ill 5 years ago and I have been working on a device that will help her. I soon fell ill and I began to work on fixing my illness as she is bed ridden so someone has to be functional. What I have come up with is a Hyperbolic chamber out of an LG fridge. Im hacking all the electronics and adding some Arduino components and then I will have to print certain items for the interior and exterior. Im very excited if you cant tell in my post here. LOL So im just really saying hello and I thank anyone in advance if they are contributors to any of my work going forward. Hers a few things to look at.

Regards, J

Water is Key

Hey AWT
I got into blender working on Viktor Schaubergers technology which basically uses no straight lines only curved forms. What Viktor called a space curve spiral form which is one spin axis within another within another, lol. It's no wonder so few caught on to what he was doing because it's mind numbing. There is so much going on within any given three dimensional space it gives me a headache just thinking about it.

So all the geometry must be curved always folding the flow inward in on itself producing corkscrew type flows within other corkscrew flows. So it makes perfect sense that if all we can visualize is 2D line diagrams then 3D flows within 3D flows within 3D flows is basically impossible. How Viktor managed to work all this out let alone fabricate the structure required to do this is unbelievable.

So it remains a work in progress...

Regards
AC

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2021-10-26, 13:22:22