PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-04-26, 03:30:49
News: If you have a suggestion or need for a new board title, please PM the Admins.
Please remember to keep topics and posts of the FE or casual nature. :)

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tesla Toroid Converters/Transformers.  (Read 12149 times)
Group: Guest
Hi guys, I'm making another converter so I thought I would share.

Here's one I made already, it works quite well, I can get a few different voltages from it.
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd168/Toey1/Transformerdrawing004.jpg
Tesla Toroid Converters/Transformers.

I'm putting a lot more care and thought into the preparation of the core and the mounting,
although it is still very much an amateur construction.

I made the rings for the laminated core from the field of an 8 kW motor, I cut off all the original
pole projections and painted them with red oxide primer. I drilled mounting holes beforehand
I made spacers for between the coils then bound the segments to be wound with coils with a layer of
jute string soaked in melted bee's wax, then I smoothed it over with more wax and wrapped the
segments with a layer of home made bee's wax paper to give a flat surface for the windings.
I'll also use wax and wax paper to make a level surface to wind all the secondary layers on so that
each layer has a nice flat surface to be wound onto.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd168/Toey1/Transformernewprimaries001.jpg

Each segment will have a primary of 46 turns of two strands of 1mm wire in a single layer
and 5 to 7 secondary layers of 0.5 mm wire. The segments are about 105 mm inside arc at the primary layer.

I'll need to make an appropriate PWM circuit, I'll use a SG3525 PWM chip for the oscillator and probably
parallel some IRF540 or IRFZ48 mosfets for the switches.

I'm hoping that if it is made well enough I might be able to use a rotor with it at least for some experimenting,
with this in mind I'll make it so a rotor can be introduced later. Or I might be able to use it for down conversion instead.

The one I already have can drive MOTs and I use it to power 100 watt Tesla coil as well as run lights and stuff.
It can produce 120v-240v and 480v.

If anyone has any suggestions or idea's I would be glad to hear them.  O0

If anyone has a Silhouette for such a PWM PCB it would save me some work, I'll need to design a circuit then the PCB.
I want it to be able to take lots of current through the switches.

I'm almost ready to start winding secondaries.

This is an accurate depiction of how I put the primary currents through it, the secondary coils aren't drawn there but the outputs are.
All the coils are wound the same way.
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd168/Toey1/Transformerdrawing0032.jpg

Here's some other info, the reason I call it a Tesla Converter/transformer is I that I go by the scheme outlined by Tesla
in this book Chapter 23 page 109, Also page 17 figure 10 and text and page 42 figure 33 and text there is useful info.  
- http://ia600302.us.archive.org/16/items/inventionsresear00martiala/inventionsresear00martiala.pdf

Cheers  

P.S. The primaries measure 490 uH each with 0.2 ohms resistance.
The secondaries should end up about 230 mH with 1000 turns or so,
that should give me a transformation ratio of about 1:20 or 1:10 depending
on how it is wired up. 1:40 is also possible.

The core weighs 1.8 kgs.

One of the things I intend to try is to build a charging circuit for it by using a variable induction coil
in series with the positive supply line to the coils and a large capacitor for the inductor to discharge into.

« Last Edit: 2012-03-18, 23:57:05 by Farmhand »

Group: Administrator

It's not as complicated as it may seem...
Very impressive Farmhand. ;)

Thanks .99, here is a picture of the four primaries wound.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd168/Toey1/Primaries001.jpg

I've made the core in such a way that I can connect the negative ends of the secondaries
and the stainless steel mounting bars to either the top or bottom lamination as a bus.

Maybe one phase can join to the top and the other to the bottom or all to the same one and
ground it.

Cheers

The setup is conventional and rather well explained in the pdf.
I don't understand in which way it could lead to overunity.
What is the underlying idea? What phenomenon is challenged?

Group: Administrator

Buy me some coffee
Nice build Farmhand  O0

Ex it's a rep of a Tesla patent, did anyone say it would lead to OU/FE or challenge a phenomenon?

That's a fair question Ex, This is an Over Unity research forum.  O0
The idea is mainly to have as efficient a transformer as possible that can be used in different ways
in experiments and by trying to build better transformers I might discover something by immersion.
I hope to get a shaft and bearings together so I can try to make a rotor, then I can work towards
replicating the whole dynamo electric machine patent 390 721 http://www.google.com/patents?id=VMtxAAAAEBAJ&pg=PA1&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=1#v=onepage&q&f=false

I've got other large motors to play with. I think the generator part of that patent is interesting.

You are right though, I already have one which works ok but I don't see any OU from it,
it can light fluro's and all that stuff by connecting one wire or by holding them to one Active terminal
when used with HF at idle input power but that's all just a curiosity. I'm building another one because
I find I'm wanting to do experiments with the other one but it already has a job to do.
I'll be using this one a bit differently.

Basically it'll be a tool for possible OU research.  :)

Thanks Peterae, progress has slowed it's a lot of winding, gonna take a while.

Cheers

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-04-26, 03:30:49