PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-05-19, 00:12:10
News: Check out the Benches; a place for people to moderate their own thread and document their builds and data.
If you would like your own Bench, please PM an Admin.
Most Benches are visible only to members.

Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Henry L Imelmann - Method and apparatus for converting heat directly to electric  (Read 8961 times)

Hi all,

Attached is a brief review of means for improving the efficiency of heat to electricity converters that I wrote back in 2012. It broadly lists the areas I found where efficiency could be improved, without a lot of patent details. Although I wouldn't agree with everything I wrote then, it may serve as a useful overview to those few of you who are interested in this area.
Fred

Group: Elite

It's turtles all the way down
Hi all,

Attached is a brief review of means for improving the efficiency of heat to electricity converters that I wrote back in 2012. It broadly lists the areas I found where efficiency could be improved, without a lot of patent details. Although I wouldn't agree with everything I wrote then, it may serve as a useful overview to those few of you who are interested in this area.
Fred
Dear Orthofield

Your paper is a very well composed summary of the current state of affairs in heat to electrical power.

I have long been interested in the use of thermo-elements regarding power conversion.

I have mused that with todays very low on-resistance FET's, it may be viable to build a simple boost converter to overcome the low voltage high current problem of simple thermocouple junctions.

I was also experimenting with capacitively coupled thermo elements before life got in the way, as the idea occurred to me long before I had read any of the literature on the subject. Was never able to complete any useful results because of the life interruptions, but I may have to visit  it  again, encouraged by your paper.

Strachan-Aspden device also caught my eye when I first saw the article in Wireless World.

More recently I did some work using vacuum tubes as  thermal to RMS converters, not for power conversion, but for accurate power measurement.    https://www.overunityresearch.com/index.php?topic=3473.0

So your summary is a subject of much interest to me, although I admit to not being diligent and focused enough to complete any real new experiments outside of the well traveled paths.

Regards

---------------------------
"Secrecy, secret societies and secret groups have always been repugnant to a free and open society"......John F Kennedy

Thanks Ion!
Yes, the state of affairs, but not the state of TEG research, which is mostly devoted to solid-state physics.
The conventional TEG world is aiming at something like 8% efficiency. And yet, when people were trying to come up with commercial TEGs made with metal in the 20s through 70s, they were often getting efficiencies in the 20% range, mostly by the use of geometries as per Imelmann and Winckler. 
This was quite literally forgotten, in the furor over the development of BiTe materials. All the work with increasing efficiency with metal stopped overnight, and the 'prior art' seemed to disappear.

Even the 20% range would be a game changer in terms of waste heat utilization. For instance, there is an expected 2020 market of 64 M. in global thermoelectric generators for car waste heat. They could for the most part be made from the thermo metals--without ceramics-- and with 'thermal gaps' of various kinds. These TEGs would be cheap to build, compared to the BiTe type.

The Dahlberg patent is highly significant. I strongly promote testing it because if it works out, it is a game changer for global energy and climate. The idea doesn't controvert conventional physics in any way, and uses off the shelf components, without changing anything but the converter. And it can be done with metal or ceramic elements.
If it works, it even seems to relieve us of the need to make upconverters for such low input voltages, since it adds the output on a much higher, AC, voltage. But... with the switching of thermo elements, you'd need some good low on resistance switches and diodes anyway, especially for tests with just a few TEG modules.
(Dahlberg has been uploaded in the Aspden-Strachan thread for those who want to look at it.)
Fred

Pages: 1 [2]
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-05-19, 00:12:10