PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-05-17, 15:12:14
News: A feature is available which provides a place all members can chat, either publicly or privately.
There is also a "Shout" feature on each page. Only available to members.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9
Author Topic: Where i'm at 1+1=3  (Read 14450 times)

Group: Elite Experimentalist

Buy me some coffee
Brad,
Sincerely, thank you the discussion. But I will need to leave it. A basic disagreement exists I fail to see resolution. Your last question:

Regards.
bi

My answer is: No. You are applying force to the peddle. Torque occurs on the crank shaft through the moment arm.
Torque is not force.

But your chatGPT says you are applying a torque to the peddle.
Are you picking and choosing as to what is correct in chatGPT ?

Maybe you just don't know that in mechanics, a force applied to a body that can rotate, is called a torque.

To quote wiki: In physics and mechanics, torque is the rotational analogue of linear force.

And to quote Kahn Academy : Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate about an axis. Just as force is what causes an object to accelerate in linear kinematics, torque is what causes an object to acquire angular acceleration.

And to quote Study.com: "torque is the rotational equivalent of force."

Brad

---------------------------
Never let your schooling get in the way of your education.

Buy me some coffee
So anyway, Bistander started quoting answers he asked from chatGPT, so i decided to pay it a visit, and ask some questions myself.

Needless to say, i have been asking it all sorts of things-thanks Bistander  O0.

I asked it this--can magnets do work ?
Are you ready for the answer? lol

Answer- Yes, magnets can do work. Work, in physics, is defined as the transfer of energy when a force is applied to an object and causes it to move a certain distance in the direction of the force. Magnets can exert forces on other magnetic objects or materials, causing them to move and thus do work.  O0

Question- can an all magnet motor work

Answer-
The idea of an "all magnet motor" typically refers to a concept where the motion of magnets alone, without any external input of energy, is purported to generate continuous motion and therefore produce usable mechanical energy. However, the concept of an "all magnet motor" falls into the realm of perpetual motion machines, which violate the laws of thermodynamics.

Question- could the laws of thermodynamics be wrong or incomplete

Answer- While it's theoretically possible that our understanding of the laws of thermodynamics could evolve or be refined in the future, any proposed modifications would need to be supported by substantial evidence and would have to explain the vast body of existing experimental data that currently corroborates the laws as we understand them.

Question- what if some one actually invented a working perpetual motion machine ?

Answer- If someone were to claim to have invented a perpetual motion machine and it were verified to genuinely operate as claimed, it would necessitate a major reevaluation of our understanding of physics. Scientists would rigorously investigate the device to understand how it functions and whether it truly violates established physical principles.

And the big question- would the oil companies be happy if a true perpetual motion machine were invented

Answer- If a true perpetual motion machine were invented, it would have profound implications for the global energy landscape. A perpetual motion machine that generates unlimited energy without the need for fuel would disrupt traditional energy markets, including those dominated by oil companies. It could lead to a rapid decline in the demand for fossil fuels, impacting the profitability of oil extraction, refining, and distribution businesses. Governments and regulatory bodies may need to reassess energy policies and regulations in light of the invention of a perpetual motion machine. New regulations may be required to manage the transition to this new energy paradigm and address potential societal impacts.

Question- what would happen to the solar industry if a perpetual motion machine was invented ?

Answer- If a perpetual motion machine were invented and proven to work, it would have profound implications for the entire energy industry, including the solar industry. A perpetual motion machine that generates unlimited energy without the need for fuel would disrupt traditional energy markets, including those dominated by solar energy. It could lead to a rapid decline in the demand for solar panels and other solar technologies, as well as other renewable energy sources.

Question- would the inventor of an actual perpetual motion machine be in danger

Answer- While it's difficult to predict the exact outcome, it's conceivable that the inventor could face various challenges, including skepticism, scrutiny, and even threats, depending on the nature and implications of the invention.

Ok, that's enough chatGPT for me lol.

Brad

Group: Ambassador

I like F6 thought posted here

https://overunity.com/18109/2019-and-beyond/msg529320/#msg529320
Burning the atmosphere ( transport,heat etc) and deforestation  etc etc .. is prehistoric!
And flushing drinking water ?? Yeesh
Gotta fix that too …( FE solutions for sure)

Clean Green FE is our destiny..
Teach !

« Last Edit: 2024-03-29, 15:52:36 by Chet K »

Group: Experimentalist

Believing in something false doesn't make it true.

I am not sure why there seems to be so much confusion about torque and force.  Force is a direct push or pull in a straight line.  Torque is a measure of that push or pull in relation to the distance from the center of rotation.  Let me give you a pretty simple example that I hope will explain it better.

Lets say I have a bolt i want to remove.  I put a socket and a ratchet with a 6 inch handle onto the bolt.  Since I am getting old I can onlly push with let's say 10 pounds of force which is applied to the end of the 6 inch ratchet.   As Brad has correctly stated torque is measured in foot/pounds or newton/meters.  Using that formula we can see that I have only applied  5 foot/pounds of torque.  Since the bolt is stuck tighter than that I need to do something different.  So I replace the 6 inch ratchet with a 2 foot breaker bar.  Now I apply the same 10 pounds of force because I haven't suddenly gotten any stronger.  Now  if we calculate the torque we can see we now have 20 foot/pouds of torque.  Our force didn't change at all but our torqued went up 4 times.

When we were working on the 1+1=3 torque plate motor Brad showed us how to measure the force being applied to the rim of the motor.  We didn't really care about the torque as we were only interested in getting the 1+1=3 effect which many of us were able to do.  I think there are a couple of reasons we didn't look at the torque.  The first problem is that finding a good way to measure torque would be much harder than the simple way Brad showed us for measuring the force.  Also any torque measurements wouldn't mean much since most of us had different sizes of rotors

Respectfullyy
Carroll

Just because it is on YouTube does not make it real.

But your chatGPT says you are applying a torque to the peddle.
That was your chatGPT, not mine.

Maybe you just don't know that in mechanics, a force applied to a body that can rotate, is called a torque.
I know what torque and force are.

To quote wiki: In physics and mechanics, torque is the rotational analogue of linear force.
Note "analogue of", not the same as.

And to quote Kahn Academy : Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate about an axis. Just as force is what causes an object to accelerate in linear kinematics, torque is what causes an object to acquire angular acceleration.

And to quote Study.com: "torque is the rotational equivalent of force."

Brad

Quick visit to my chatGPT:

User

Is gravity a force?

ChatGPT
Yes, gravity is considered a fundamental force of nature. It's the force of attraction between objects with mass, such as planets, stars, and everyday objects.

User
A bowling ball rests on the ground with no forces except gravity. Is there torque imparted to the ball?

ChatGPT
In the scenario you described, if a bowling ball is at rest on the ground with no external forces acting upon it except gravity, then there would be no torque imparted to the ball. Torque arises from a force acting at a distance from a point of rotation, causing rotation or angular acceleration. Since the ball is stationary and not rotating in this scenario, there is no torque acting on it.

User
So force and torque are not the same thing, correct?

ChatGPT
Correct, force and torque are not the same thing.

Force is a push or pull acting upon an object, causing it to accelerate or change its motion in some way. Torque, on the other hand, is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object about an axis of rotation. It is the product of a force applied at a distance from the axis of rotation, resulting in a twisting or rotational motion. While both force and torque involve the application of a physical influence, they operate in different ways and have different effects on objects.

Yes, are you?
bi

Group: Tinkerer

A short word on llms. They are trained on essentially redacted data and they regularly hallucinate. I use the pro versions of ChatGPT, Gemini and claude3. All give different answers. For the most part they are not great at calculations. They are good at guessing what word should come next in a sentence. I would encourage everyone to investigate open source models using an app like lmstudio. These are free and the models are getting better everyday and for the most part uncensored unlike their paid counterparts.

Group: Ambassador

Great news !
A self running magnet array ( not writing about ancillary inputs ( heat etc etc)
Needs no measuring for validation..

I have yet to speak with an academic who disagrees .
Even a self running array which has a coil harvesting into capacitor to maintain
A gain mechanism…(open source for replication?
 would be incredibly interesting to academic research community.

It would be one thing if this was in development stage ( the prototype)
Then bistander input might have relevance..

Here it is not the case ..

Respectfully
Chet K

Buy me some coffee

bi

That was your chatGPT, not mine.

So ask yours the same question, and post the answers.

I know what torque and force are.

Well i thought you would have as well, but apparently not.

Yes, are you?

No.
As you can see, i only asked it direct questions, and gave the actual answers.
I only did this as you seem to use it to provide what you Deem'd accurate information.

Quick visit to my chatGPT:

Well is it not fair that we both use the same information source ?

Note "analogue of", not the same as.

Analog-relating to, or being a mechanism or device in which information is represented by continuously variable physical quantities.

Bi, do you know how HP is calculated using the prony brake method ?
If not, go and study it, and see how HP is measured using this method.
Then you will understand the difference between a torque, and torque value.

Brad

I am not sure why there seems to be so much confusion about torque and force.  Force is a direct push or pull in a straight line.  Torque is a measure of that push or pull in relation to the distance from the center of rotation.  Let me give you a pretty simple example that I hope will explain it better.

Lets say I have a bolt i want to remove.  I put a socket and a ratchet with a 6 inch handle onto the bolt.  Since I am getting old I can onlly push with let's say 10 pounds of force which is applied to the end of the 6 inch ratchet.   As Brad has correctly stated torque is measured in foot/pounds or newton/meters.  Using that formula we can see that I have only applied  5 foot/pounds of torque.  Since the bolt is stuck tighter than that I need to do something different.  So I replace the 6 inch ratchet with a 2 foot breaker bar.  Now I apply the same 10 pounds of force because I haven't suddenly gotten any stronger.  Now  if we calculate the torque we can see we now have 20 foot/pouds of torque.  Our force didn't change at all but our torqued went up 4 times.

When we were working on the 1+1=3 torque plate motor Brad showed us how to measure the force being applied to the rim of the motor.  We didn't really care about the torque as we were only interested in getting the 1+1=3 effect which many of us were able to do.  I think there are a couple of reasons we didn't look at the torque.  The first problem is that finding a good way to measure torque would be much harder than the simple way Brad showed us for measuring the force.  Also any torque measurements wouldn't mean much since most of us had different sizes of rotors

Respectfullyy
Carroll

Hi citfta,

Thanks for chiming in.

You know how picky I can be, or at least have been accused of being. Well, the proper units for torque are pound-feet or newton-meters, not foot/pounds or newton/meters.
Torque has the dimension of force times distance, symbolically T−2L2M. Although those fundamental dimensions are the same as that for energy or work, official SI literature suggests using the unit newton-metre (N⋅m) and never the joule.[12][13] The unit newton-metre is properly denoted N⋅m.[13]

The traditional imperial and U.S. customary units for torque are the pound foot (lbf-ft), or for small values the pound inch (lbf-in). In the US, torque is most commonly referred to as the foot-pound (denoted as either lb-ft or ft-lb) and the inch-pound (denoted as in-lb).[14][15] Practitioners depend on context and the hyphen in the abbreviation to know that these refer to torque and not to energy or moment of mass (as the symbolism ft-lb would properly imply).
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque

But to your example:
You applied the same force in your two attempts to loosen the fastener, correct? 10 pounds. But on the second attempt, as you say, the torque increased by a four factor.
Doesn't that support my contention force and torque are not the same? Seems clear to me.
Regards,
bi

So ask yours the same question, and post the answers.

Brad

Hi Brad,

Actually I did ask the same question, nearly. I asked for chatGPT to explain the difference between torque and force. I didn't bother to post it at the time because I thought it was too obvious. But I did copy and save it. So I'll post it now.

User
In physics, exactly what is the difference between torque and force?

ChatGPT
In physics, force is a push or pull on an object resulting from its interaction with another object. Torque, on the other hand, is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object around an axis. While force causes linear motion, torque causes rotational motion. In essence, force is to linear motion what torque is to rotational motion.

User
Continuing to explain torque and force, go into the calculation and units of measure, and how each is used to figure power and energy.

ChatGPT
Certainly!

Calculation and Units of Measure:

Force: The force acting on an object is calculated using Newton's second law, F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. The SI unit of force is the Newton (N).

Torque: Torque (τ) is calculated as the product of the force applied and the perpendicular distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied. Mathematically, τ = r × F, where τ is torque, r is the distance from the axis of rotation, and F is the force applied perpendicular to the radius. The SI unit of torque is the Newton-meter (Nm).

Power and Energy:

Power: Power (P) is the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred. In terms of force and torque, power can be calculated using the formulas:

For linear motion: P = F × v, where P is power, F is force, and v is velocity.
For rotational motion: P = τ × ω, where P is power, τ is torque, and ω is angular velocity.
Power is measured in watts (W) in the SI system.
Energy: Energy (E) is the capacity to do work. The relationship between force, torque, and energy depends on the type of motion:

For linear motion: The work done by a force is calculated as W = F × d, where W is work, F is force, and d is the displacement. Energy is measured in joules (J).
For rotational motion: The work done by torque is calculated as W = τ × θ, where W is work, τ is torque, and θ is the angle through which the torque acts. Energy is still measured in joules (J).
Understanding force and torque allows us to comprehend the mechanics of both linear and rotational motion and how they relate to power and energy.

Notice he accepts my premise that there is a difference between torque and force, hence torque and force are not the same.
bi

Buy me some coffee
Hi Brad,

Actually I did ask the same question, nearly. I asked for chatGPT to explain the difference between torque and force. I didn't bother to post it at the time because I thought it was too obvious. But I did copy and save it. So I'll post it now.

Notice he accepts my premise that there is a difference between torque and force, hence torque and force are not the same.
bi

So now it is clear that you are confused between a torque applied to a rotating disc, and the measure of that torque (eg-foot pounds) at the axis of rotation.
I have tried time and time again to try and explain that a torque is a  force applied to a rotating body-eg, a disc or rotor of a motor.
It is clear that you do not understand mechanical or electromagnetic applied torques.

I will try once again, and after that, if you still do not understand, then i can't help you.

When a force is applied to a mass that moves in a linear motion, it is called a force.
When a force is applied to a rotating mass/rotor, it is called a torque, not a force.

Lets ask your chatGPT again, with the specific questions related to my graphs, and electromagnetic torque's in motors.

Q1- is a rotational force applied to a rotating disc called a torque?
A1-Yes, a rotational force applied to a rotating disk is indeed called torque. Torque is the measure of the rotational force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. When applied to a rotating disk, torque can cause it to speed up, slow down, or change direction depending on the direction and magnitude of the torque applied. It's commonly encountered in mechanical systems where rotary motion is involved, such as engines, motors, and machinery.

Q2-is a force applied to a mass with linear motion called a torque?

A2-No, a force applied to a mass with linear motion is not called torque; it's simply referred to as force.

Q3- does the magnetic field in an electric motor apply a torque on the rotor?

A3-Yes, in an electric motor, the interaction between the magnetic field and the current-carrying conductors (such as coils) in the rotor generates a torque that drives the rotation of the rotor. This phenomenon is known as the electromagnetic torque.

Q4-if the electric motor has stalled, do the magnetic fields still apply a torque on the rotor

A4-In a stalled motor scenario, the rotor is not moving, so there is no mechanical output. However, the magnetic fields produced by the stator coils still interact with the magnetic field of the rotor, creating a torque that tries to turn the rotor. This torque is resisted by the opposing torque due to friction and other resistive forces, preventing the rotor from turning.

In the case of the motors that were being graphed, it was the scales that was the equal and opposite torque, stopping the motor from turning.
But the electromagnetic field acting upon the PM that is fixed to the rotor, still created a torque on the rotor. It was the value of the applied electromagnetic torque we were measuring in the graphs.

But lets ask this question
Q5-does the electromagnetic field apply a torque or a force on the rotor of the electric motor?

A5- The electromagnetic field in an electric motor applies a torque to the rotor, not a force. This torque is what causes the rotor to rotate within the motor.

You keep on insisting that we need the radius to calculate the value of torque, but we do not.
The electromagnetic torque that was applied to the rotor, by the electromagnet, was measured at the point where that torque was being applied to the rotor, not at the center of axis.
So the R is omitted, as is foot pounds, newton meters-etc, as there is no feet or meters from where the measurements of this applied torque were being graphed.

One last question for good measure
Q6- can static torque measurements be made at the outer rim of the rotor in an electric motor

A6- Yes, static torque measurements can be made at the outer rim of the rotor in an electric motor. In static conditions, where the rotor is not rotating, the torque measurement can be performed by applying a known force or load to the outer rim of the rotor and measuring the resulting torque. Static torque measurements on the rotor of an electric motor can be important for various reasons, including performance evaluation, maintenance checks, and calibration of the motor. These measurements help ensure that the motor is operating within specified parameters and can provide valuable insights into its overall condition and efficiency.

In the case of the graphs, the known load is the scales.
The measurements taken between both motors was to give us valuable information in regards to their efficiency.

If you can't understand that there is no foot pound, or newton meters of torque being measured, but only the electromagnetic torque being applied to the outer edge of the rotor, then there is nothing more i can do or say that will make you understand what the graphs were measuring, which is the applied torque to the outer edge of the rotor, by the electromagnetic field on the PM.
The PM rotates with the rotor, and so is imparting a rotational force on the outer edge of the rotor.
A rotational force applied to a rotating disc, is a torque-not a force, regardless of whether the disc is rotating or stationary, as in the static torque tests we graphed.

Brad

So now it is clear that you are confused between a torque applied to a rotating disc, and the measure of that torque (eg-foot pounds) at the axis of rotation.
I have tried time and time again to try and explain that a torque is a  force applied to a rotating body-eg, a disc or rotor of a motor.

Hi Brad,
And I thought you were confused. Imagine that. Obviously there is confusion, and that's my point. So here we go;

User bi

In physics, can a force be applied to a rotating body such that it does not affect the motion?

ChatGPT

[Yes, it's possible to apply a force to a rotating body in such a way that it doesn't affect its rotational motion. This occurs when the force is applied along the axis of rotation, which doesn't produce a torque. Torque is what causes rotational acceleration, so if the force is applied in such a way that it doesn't produce torque, the rotational motion remains unaffected.]
>end session

End thrust on the motor shaft is an example.

So not all forces applied to rotating bodies make torque. But a force applied to the rotating body can result in torque under certain conditions.
It is clear that you do not understand mechanical or electromagnetic applied torques.
I understand very well. Happen to disagree with you about some things. But I do know the subject very well.

I will try once again, and after that, if you still do not understand, then i can't help you.

All I am saying is that torque and force are not the same thing. And your graphs were of the force read from the spring scale which is force, a vector in space at a known distance from the center of rotation. Whereas the resulting torque is a vector located at the center of rotation. Those two vectors, torque and force, have different magnitudes and directions and carry different units of measure. Torque and force are not the same.

I agree that your graphs represent a function proportional to the torque magnitude. And may be sufficient for your purpose. But they are not true torque graphs. Using only the information from the graph, one does not know the torque value in newton meters.

When a force is applied to a mass that moves in a linear motion, it is called a force.

I agree. A force is a force, of course.
When a force is applied to a rotating mass/rotor, it is called a torque, not a force.
I disagree. It is still a force. Torque can result if certain conditions are present, like that force being applied at a distance from the axis of rotation. Then a torque is imparted, which is a vector located at the center of rotation in the direction perpendicular to the plane of rotation. The force applied is still a force. Torque and force are different things.

Lets ask your chatGPT again, with the specific questions related to my graphs, and electromagnetic torque's in motors.

Q1- is a rotational force applied to a rotating disc called a torque?
A1-Yes, a rotational force applied to a rotating disk is indeed called torque. Torque is the measure of the rotational force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. When applied to a rotating disk, torque can cause it to speed up, slow down, or change direction depending on the direction and magnitude of the torque applied. It's commonly encountered in mechanical systems where rotary motion is involved, such as engines, motors, and machinery.

I agree, yes. I never said otherwise. Torque is often called rotational force.  But not all force is rotational force. So this does not imply that torque and force are the same.
Q2-is a force applied to a mass with linear motion called a torque?

A2-No, a force applied to a mass with linear motion is not called torque; it's simply referred to as force.

I agree. No. Never said otherwise. In fact this supports my contention that force and torque are not the same.

Q3- does the magnetic field in an electric motor apply a torque on the rotor?

A3-Yes, in an electric motor, the interaction between the magnetic field and the current-carrying conductors (such as coils) in the rotor generates a torque that drives the rotation of the rotor. This phenomenon is known as the electromagnetic torque.

No, It's the Lorentz Force Law which governs the interaction of the magnetic field in the electric motor, not his torque law.
The force is applied at a distance from the center of rotation and thereby causes a torque on the rotor shaft.
Q4-if the electric motor has stalled, do the magnetic fields still apply a torque on the rotor

A4-In a stalled motor scenario, the rotor is not moving, so there is no mechanical output. However, the magnetic fields produced by the stator coils still interact with the magnetic field of the rotor, creating a torque that tries to turn the rotor. This torque is resisted by the opposing torque due to friction and other resistive forces, preventing the rotor from turning.

Stall torque, as all* torque in the electric motor, results from Lorentz forces.

In the case of the motors that were being graphed, it was the scales that was the equal and opposite torque, stopping the motor from turning.
But the electromagnetic field acting upon the PM that is fixed to the rotor, still created a torque on the rotor. It was the value of the applied electromagnetic torque we were measuring in the graphs.
Your graphs were of the force read from the spring scale which is force, a vector in space at a known distance from the center of rotation. Whereas the resulting torque is a vector located at the center of rotation. Those two vectors, torque and force, have different magnitudes and directions and carry different units of measure. Torque and force are not the same.

But lets ask this question
Q5-does the electromagnetic field apply a torque or a force on the rotor of the electric motor?

A5- The electromagnetic field in an electric motor applies a torque to the rotor, not a force. This torque is what causes the rotor to rotate within the motor.

See Q3. It is Lorentz force, not Lorentz torque.
The magnetic field interaction with armature current produces force as evidenced in linear motors.
It is use of rotor in the question facilitating the reply from chatgpt.
But in common terminology, considering the total field and forces, electromagnetic torque is considered the result from the combined Lorentz forces and referred to as caused by the magnetic field interaction with armature currents.

You keep on insisting that we need the radius to calculate the value of torque, but we do not.
The electromagnetic torque that was applied to the rotor, by the electromagnet, was measured at the point where that torque was being applied to the rotor, not at the center of axis.
So the R is omitted, as is foot pounds, newton meters-etc, as there is no feet or meters from where the measurements of this applied torque were being graphed.

You noticed. That's what makes a force plot, not a torque curve. Thank you very much.

One last question for good measure
Q6- can static torque measurements be made at the outer rim of the rotor in an electric motor

A6- Yes, static torque measurements can be made at the outer rim of the rotor in an electric motor. In static conditions, where the rotor is not rotating, the torque measurement can be performed by applying a known force or load to the outer rim of the rotor and measuring the resulting torque. Static torque measurements on the rotor of an electric motor can be important for various reasons, including performance evaluation, maintenance checks, and calibration of the motor. These measurements help ensure that the motor is operating within specified parameters and can provide valuable insights into its overall condition and efficiency.

Of course, you simply multiply the measured force (N) by the radius (m) to get the torque (N-m).

In the case of the graphs, the known load is the scales.
The measurements taken between both motors was to give us valuable information in regards to their efficiency.

You tell us these are static measurements. Therefore at each measurement, the power output is zero. You have 12watts input. Efficiency is power out / power in, 0 / 12 = 0. That's valuable to you? I'll be interested to see how. I mean all information is valuable I suppose, but efficiency isn't obvious from your force graphs.

If you can't understand that there is no foot pound, or newton meters of torque being measured, but only the electromagnetic torque being applied to the outer edge of the rotor, then there is nothing more i can do or say that will make you understand what the graphs were measuring, which is the applied torque to the outer edge of the rotor, by the electromagnetic field on the PM.
The PM rotates with the rotor, and so is imparting a rotational force on the outer edge of the rotor.
A rotational force applied to a rotating disc, is a torque-not a force, regardless of whether the disc is rotating or stationary, as in the static torque tests we graphed.

Brad

But your spring scale measures force, not torque. And you plot those force values. Yes, it represents torque. But force isn't torque. The necessary moment arm is missing.

So no, you can't convince me that force and torque are the same. Stop trying.

Respectfully,
bi

edit * concerning "all". There can be exceptions possible due to dynamic conditions, and of course torque due to rotational losses.

Hi Brad,
Just thought of an example of a torque curve. Just for reference. From my post here:
https://overunity.com/19405/magnetic-flux-motor-just-patented-that-creates-its-own-electricity/210/
Reply #222.
bi

Buy me some coffee
author=bistander link=topic=4603.msg111185#msg111185 date=1711830718

I agree that your graphs represent a function proportional to the torque magnitude. And may be sufficient for your purpose. But they are not true torque graphs. Using only the information from the graph, one does not know the torque value in newton meters.

Once again, we were not measuring newton meters, we were measuring the torque being applied to the outer rim of the rotor.
Torque applied to the outer rim of the rotor, is not newton meters of torque at the center of axis.
Why you find this hard to understand, i can't say.

Torque and force are not the same

A force applied to a rotating body, in the direction of rotation is a torque.

In physics, can a force be applied to a rotating body such that it does not affect the motion?

Obviously, but irrelevant to the topic of conversation.

So not all forces applied to rotating bodies make torque.

Of course.

Torque is often called rotational force.

There you go.
And so the opposite is true, where rotational force applied to a rotating disk is called a torque.

Torque and force are different things

And i thought you almost had it there.
Yes, torque and force in most cases are two different things, except in regards to the situation being discussed here.

No, It's the Lorentz Force Law which governs the interaction of the magnetic field in the electric motor, not his torque law.

I fail to see your point here, as the Lorentz force results in exactly what I said-a torque imparted on the outer rim of the rotor in a motor.

Question- does the Lorentz force in an electric motor result in a torque being applied to the outer rim of the rotor

Answer- Yes, the Lorentz force in an electric motor does indeed result in a torque being applied to the outer rim of the rotor.

So I am not sure as to why you are arguing with your own admissions here ?

Your graphs were of the force read from the spring scale which is force

Yes, the scales (pressure pad scales, not spring scales) were measuring the value of force being applied to the scales from the resultant torque being imparted onto the rotor, which was created by the Lorentz forces within the magnetic fields.

The force is applied at a distance from the center of rotation and thereby causes a torque on the rotor shaft.

No, not in the case of the motors being graphed, as the shaft is fixed, and does not rotate.

Stall torque, as all* torque in the electric motor, results from Lorentz forces.

Ah, so you agree that the electromagnetic fields create Lorentz forces, and Lorentz forces cause a torque to be applied to the rotor of the electric motor.
And if we wanted to know the value of this applied torque at the outer rim of the rotor, where this torque was being applied, and not the resultant torque over distance at the center of axis of the rotor, we would do this how ?

You noticed. That's what makes a force plot, not a torque curve. Thank you very much.
Of course, you simply multiply the measured force (N) by the radius (m) to get the torque (N-m).

No and no.
The force measured by the scales is the value of the torque at each measured point.
There is no (N-m), as there is no meters, due to the measurements being taken at the point of the applied torque, and not the center of axis.

You tell us these are static measurements. Therefore at each measurement, the power output is zero. You have 12watts input. Efficiency is power out / power in, 0 / 12 = 0. That's valuable to you? I'll be interested to see how.

Ok, it seems you are still unaware as to what we were doing in the tests and the resultant graphs, so i will try again
We were measuring the difference in applied torque values during the on time of the electromagnet, between the two motors.
We were not measuring P/in to P/out. We were measuring the value of torque being applied to the rotor in that small portion of a full rotation of the rotor, where that small portion is the energy injection to the rotor per revolution.
The power supplied to the electromagnet was kept at the same value throughout each test.
This allowed us to see which motor resulted in a higher torque being applied to the rotor for that same period--which one used the electromagnets energy more efficiently.
Can i make it any clearer than that ?

I mean all information is valuable I suppose, but efficiency isn't obvious from your force graphs.

When in fact, the torque graphs show exactly that. They clearly show which motor uses the fixed value electromagnet field more efficiently.

But your spring scale measures force, not torque. And you plot those force values. Yes, it represents torque. But force isn't torque

The scales measure the value of the applied torque.

The necessary moment arm is missing.

Exactly, as there is no moment arm--there is a rotor.
So no ft/lb, no Nm, just the value of the applied torque at the point where that torque is being applied to the rotor-at the PM that is fixed to the rotor.

So no, you can't convince me that force and torque are the same. Stop trying.

Never did try.
What i said was-when a force is applied to a mass that moves in a linear motion, it is call a force.
When a force is applied to a rotating mass, in the direction of rotation, it is called a torque--and that is fact.

Why don't we just ask chatGPT the direct question at hand here

Q- User
In an electric motor, if we wanted to know the value of the torque being applied by the lorentz force to the outer rim of the rotor, and not the resultant torque at the output shaft, could we use scales attached to the outer rim of the rotor to measure the value of this torque ?

A-
Yes, in principle, you could use scales attached to the outer rim of the rotor to measure the torque being applied by the Lorentz force. However, there are some practical considerations and challenges you would need to address:

Sensitivity of the scales: The scales attached to the outer rim would need to be highly sensitive to detect the torque being applied. They would need to be capable of measuring very small forces accurately.

And there you have it.
A direct question, and a direct answer.

I think we are done here.
You are of course free to see and do things as you see fit.
I will continue to do them the correct way, and use well know terms and measurement when testing is carried out.

Brad

Buy me some coffee
Hi Brad,
Just thought of an example of a torque curve. Just for reference. From my post here:
https://overunity.com/19405/magnetic-flux-motor-just-patented-that-creates-its-own-electricity/210/
Reply #222.
bi

Wow, that is truly amazing. O0
Lets put the two together.

From your previous post, (But your spring scale measures force, not torque)., please pay attention to the circled in red on my graph.
Second image shows where the applied torque is, and where the resultant newton meters of torque would be taken from.
We were measuring the applied torque.
Brad

Buy me some coffee
Hi Bistander

In post 88, you said this-(your graphs do not show torque).

So there is an easy way to put this all to bed.
You plot the torque curves, using the provided information.
The rotor used in those tests is 200mm diameter exactly, so R is 100mm
The applied force (torque) is in the graphs supplied.
Please plot a torque curve for each graph, using the provided information, and post the results here.
Also plot a torque curve for the !wasted torque-(it's not a torque, but just what i called it)
We can then compare them to my graphs.

Thanks
Brad

Hi Bistander

In post 88, you said this-(your graphs do not show torque).

So there is an easy way to put this all to bed.
You plot the torque curves, using the provided information.
The rotor used in those tests is 200mm diameter exactly, so R is 100mm
The applied force (torque) is in the graphs supplied.
Please plot a torque curve for each graph, using the provided information, and post the results here.
Also plot a torque curve for the !wasted torque-(it's not a torque, but just what i called it)
We can then compare them to my graphs.

Thanks
Brad

Hi Brad,
Mind if I take a shortcut?
You say:

"You plot the torque curves, using the provided information.
The rotor used in those tests is 200mm diameter exactly, so R is 100mm"

Simply multiply the Y-axis values by 0.1 and relabel as torque in gram-meters.

To be proper, calculate the conversion and relabel the X-axis as radians.

After your explanation of test method, I said your force graph was proportional to torque. But not having known the 100mm moment, the torque values were unknown.

"(it's not a torque, but just what i called it)"

Oh, you admit you call things torque when they're something different? Imagine that.

Regards,
bi

Buy me some coffee
Hi Brad,
You say:

Regards,
bi

After your explanation of test method, I said your force graph was proportional to torque. But not having known the 100mm moment, the torque values were unknown.

Would the resultant torque curve look any different ?
And the graph does indeed show the torque value applied to the rotor by the Lorentz force.
Once again, we were measuring that value at the point at which it is applied to the rotor.
Please see image below.
You are still confused between applied torque, and center of axis torque.

"(it's not a torque, but just what i called it)"
Oh, you admit you call things torque when they're something different? Imagine that.

It was called wasted torque because it detracted from the torque value, and did nothing but waste some of the magnetic energy.

Brad

Buy me some coffee
Hi Brad,

Yes, i do.
Please provide your own torque graphs, based on the information provided, so as we can compare the two graphed torque curves.

Totally unnecessary to show a torque curve.
By doing as you say, would result in the very same torque curve graph, which is why i suspect you do not wish to do your own torque curve graph, using the numbers provided.

Also would make no difference at all to the resultant torque curve in the graph.

The torque values applied at the rim of the rotor, by the Lorentz force, are well defined in the graphs. The are measured in grams.
That torque applied at the rim of the rotor, would be exactly the same regardless of what the diameter of the rotor is, thus R has no meaning in regards to what the graph are showing, which once again, is the torque imparted on the rotor by the Lorentz force.

You made the claim that the graphs do not show a torque, and so we are not looking at a torque curve.
So, as i asked, please plot your own graphs, using all the information given, and we will see is there is a difference between the two graphs.

Thanks
Brad

Would the resultant torque curve look any different ?
And the graph does indeed show the torque value applied to the rotor by the Lorentz force.
Once again, we were measuring that value at the point at which it is applied to the rotor.
Please see image below.
You are still confused between applied torque, and center of axis torque.

It was called wasted torque because it detracted from the torque value, and did nothing but waste some of the magnetic energy.

Brad

The answer to your question is right there. Proportional.
And I disagree with your statements.
I thought that put it to bed.
bi

WTF.
While I was composing a reply to your previous post, you sent another, which said it was put to bed. So I didn't post it but copied and saved it. I'll paste it for kicks and to see how you answer the question.

Wow, that is truly amazing. O0
Lets put the two together.

From your previous post, (But your spring scale measures force, not torque)., please pay attention to the circled in red on my graph.
Second image shows where the applied torque is, and where the resultant newton meters of torque would be taken from.
We were measuring the applied torque.
Brad

The red circle contains "pull force grams".

That is exactly my point and what I've said numerous times. You have a force graph.

Thanks for explaining your test methods. One thing is unclear when you say there are no N-m of torque on the shaft involved. ("not newton meters of torque at the center of axis")
On your test rig, would it not have given you the same results if your force scale were attached to a disk, same diameter, fixed several cm away on the shaft, thereby showing torque transmitted on the axis?
bi

Buy me some coffee
Ok, do you know how a prony brake test is carried out ?

In the diagram below, we have a torque being applied to the belt, from the rotating drum.
How is the value of this torque measured ?

And incase you get confused again- your beloved chatGPT

Q- with the prony brake test, does the rotating drum apply a torque on the belt

A- Yes, in a Prony brake test, the rotating drum applies a torque on the belt. The Prony brake test is a method used to measure the torque output of an engine or motor. It involves applying a frictional load to the rotating shaft of the engine or motor using a brake mechanism.
In the setup, a belt is wrapped around the shaft of the engine or motor and then tightened using a brake shoe or similar mechanism. The friction between the belt and the brake shoe creates a resisting torque on the shaft, causing it to slow down or come to a stop, depending on the load applied.
By measuring various parameters such as the force applied by the brake shoe, the radius at which the force is applied, and the speed of the shaft, it is possible to calculate the torque output of the engine or motor.
So yes, the rotating drum (or brake shoe) applies a torque on the belt, which in turn applies a resisting torque on the shaft being tested.

I hope you finally understand now.
My graphs show the torque curve, as should be measured.

Cheers
Brad

Ok, do you know how a prony brake test is carried out ?

In the diagram below, we have a torque being applied to the belt, from the rotating drum.
How is the value of this torque measured ?

And incase you get confused again- your beloved chatGPT

Q- with the prony brake test, does the rotating drum apply a torque on the belt

A- Yes, in a Prony brake test, the rotating drum applies a torque on the belt. The Prony brake test is a method used to measure the torque output of an engine or motor. It involves applying a frictional load to the rotating shaft of the engine or motor using a brake mechanism.
In the setup, a belt is wrapped around the shaft of the engine or motor and then tightened using a brake shoe or similar mechanism. The friction between the belt and the brake shoe creates a resisting torque on the shaft, causing it to slow down or come to a stop, depending on the load applied.
By measuring various parameters such as the force applied by the brake shoe, the radius at which the force is applied, and the speed of the shaft, it is possible to calculate the torque output of the engine or motor.
So yes, the rotating drum (or brake shoe) applies a torque on the belt, which in turn applies a resisting torque on the shaft being tested.

I hope you finally understand now.
My graphs show the torque curve, as should be measured.

Cheers
Brad

Brad,
I am well aware of how dynamometers work. Thanks.
bi

Buy me some coffee
author=bistander link=topic=4603.msg111197#msg111197 date=1711867090]
Brad,
I am well aware of how dynamometers work. Thanks.
bi

Great.
So after all this, you would agree that the scales of the dynamometer are showing the value of torque being applied to the belt, by the rim of the drum that the belt contacts ?
Then, to calculate say Nm of torque an hp of the motor driving the drum has, we would then need the rpm, and the radius of the drum-correct ?
You also understand that the torque being applied to my pulse motor rotor, is not coming from a rotating shaft at the center of axis, but from the induced Lorentz force generated between the electromagnet, and the PM that if fixed to the outer edge of the rotor?

If so, then congratulations.
You have just learned that my torque graphs show the value of the torque being imparted on the scales by the outer rim of the rotor.

Brad
« Last Edit: 2024-03-31, 13:33:05 by TinMan »

Great.
So after all this, you would agree that the scales of the dynamometer are showing the value of torque being applied to the belt, by the rim of the drum that the belt contacts ?
Then, to calculate say Nm of torque an hp of the motor driving the drum has, we would then need the rpm, and the radius of the drum-correct ?
You also understand that the torque being applied to my pulse motor rotor, is not coming from a rotating shaft at the center of axis, but from the induced Lorentz force generated between the electromagnet, and the PM that if fixed to the outer edge of the rotor?

If so, then congratulations.
You have just learned that my torque graphs show the value of the torque being imparted on the scales by the outer rim of the rotor.

Brad

Brad,

No, the scales display a force value. The torque value isn't known until the moment arm is considered. Just as in citfta'a wrench example of reply #103. Torque and force are different.
Good day,
bi

edit:
I grow weary. I was going to leave it here but decided to add a different opinion. Last night I browsed the net reading a few articles on Prony brake dynamometers. Here is a copy of part of an article which I saved. Notice the author stated "measured force" in spring balance.

18.4.4 Prony Brake
The Prony brake is another torque-measuring system that is now uncommon. It is used to measure the torque in a rotating shaft and consists of a rope wound round the shaft, as illustrated in Figure 18.13. One end of the rope is attached to a spring balance and the other end carries a load in the form of a standard mass, m. If the measured force in the spring balance is Fs, then the effective force, Fe, exerted by the rope on the shaft is given by

Sign in to download full-size image
Figure 18.13. A Prony brake.

I apologize that I don't have the reference link at the moment. I'll add it later. https://tinyurl.com/23ym8q39
bi

Group: Professor

The chatGDP reply in post #120 tells you
So you use the dynamometer scales to calculate the torque in the type of dynamometer displayed in the image.  It does not display the torque.  I don't know whether there are dynamometers that enable you to put in the RPM and radius data so that the display does show a torque, but the scales shown will show a force value.

Smudge

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-05-17, 15:12:14