PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-05-05, 18:31:23
News: Registration with the OUR forum is by admin approval.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Announcements, Guidelines, Comments, Suggestions for this particular Bench...  (Read 10893 times)
Group: Guest
Format Change:
       Henceforth, announcements will appear at the top of the page where this paragraph is now.   So, continue to look at this space for the latest new thing on this Bench.
       Current or very recent announced changes or addition/deletions will appear with about 7-10 entered spaces to set the information off from previous material.

Current Changes:
       The Patent threads will be updated with pertinent patents, complete with 'Web addresses.   I'll be concentrating on antenna systems for now.

Temporary Announcement:
Because my daily and monthly schedule(s) are becoming hectic, I may not post to these threads for an indefinite period of time.  I can occasionally take time on some borrowed computers to post Replies here and elsewhere. I do have an active thread that I started on OU.com that requires a lot less time than the preparation this Forum does.
However, I realize that that site isn't this site, obviously.
       I can take less time and spend no money to do my usual research with other electronic engineering subjects on other sites.   As it stands now, I get about an hour a day.
Note:
These archived threads that are advertised by me as such, are meant to be for acquisition of reference material and exclude actual experimental research.   When I decide to physically experiment again, I'll unstick the "sticky" provision for the thread in question.
Later reedit:
       I've 'unstuck' all but this one thread and that'll allow all Members to comment freely.   Look at the bottom of a post and see if I changed anything by the date I may have done it on.

GUIDELINES:
RECOMMENDATIONS:
1)  It finally occurs to me that you'll have to look at the last date of the post of interest in order to see what specifically, by my descriptions of editing changes, as been done---if anything---to  it.  I didn't see that until now.  I'll do that rather than re-post a new entry every time I want to update a particular posting, say, with new experimental test results.  Or, as you like, you can check out a thread as you see fit.
       So, to stay current on the updated status of this 'Bench' Forum's threads and any other threads, look at the last day the thread was modified at the bottom of the post in question to see if it was very recent.
        (This is especially true for the beginning, newbie user.)

2)  Moreover, I'll maintain a running reedit log that will be appended to the bottom of each post as further reference to all who see this.  I often research the 'Web or else perform some experiment, so interested parties will need to check in to this Bench Forum as often as is deemed worthwhile to stay informed of developments.  Of course, this goes for everyone else as well.

3)  The usual negative language restrictions that you might find on Pointy's (.99's) overall site, as well as typical chat room sites, should reasonably apply here.  If I think someone has "crossed a line in the sand", so to speak, I edit the offending text, and PM the responsible party with my explanation.  I don't think there'll be any problems.  Besides Peterae and .99(Pointy) are always available for resolution of contentious issues.

4)  Spelling, punctuation and grammar typos that are posted by other Members will be left as is by me.  The 'Spell Check' function is easy to use.
NOTE:
Some Internet sites will not allow posting all CAPS in dialog and language to make a strong point on a subject.  It amounts to shouting all the time.  I prefer merely to use bold letters.  All caps are unnecessary, with the possible exception of an attention-getting paragraph heading.

SUGGESTIONS:
If you can think of a line of research, especially using low voltage at the input of a circuit , that I might be interested in, bring it up.  I suppose any Member can also start their own thread on this Bench Forum, but I myself would go the the thread Admin of any particular Bench Forum and see what he/she says first.  We Moderate these threads ourselves and have personal control of each individual Bench forum as well as the Administrators.

OVERALL NOTES:
1)  These threads in general will serve as a reference of ideas that were researched as much as they'll be an open source guide for information and an uploaded archive of concepts and information for all to see. The same, or course, goes for all Bench Forums.
Possible ideas will be presented here by me for eventual inclusion in an experimental process.  Money and time would be deciding factors.

2)  This thread will be made permanently "sticky" to the top of the page, and, as long as there's no problems of any kind from potentially troublemaking beginners or others, this thread will be completely open to viewing from the public Internet users.

INFORMAL ANNOUNCEMENT:
I'm looking for a new place to live, so experimentation will be "hit-and-miss" in terms of timely test results while I save money for the deposit.  That also means I won't be buying a Radio Shack VOM or DMM anytime soon.  I still can perform electrically physical concept testing of components, however.

I've been able to borrow an analog Radio Shack VOM to test with, so I've been getting ready for these upcoming tests by preparing toroid and straight-core high voltage transformers to test with this weekend (10 Jul '11).  Will start soon.
UPDATE:
I have the VOM and do occasional experimentation as time and money permits.  Future experiments may be described in advance as a separate post to a thread, before I begin an experiment.

This whole Bench is devoted to archival material for my reference as well as an informal expose' of basic concepts for all to see.  What I say or do could always be "taken with a grain of salt," so to speak, but then that goes for all threads on all Forums on this board.

Think of this as an informal, hobbyist electronic engineering journal/diary of my research efforts.  (I speculate my format is the only one like it presented on the whole OUR.com Forum.)
LATER REEDIT:
       I stand corrected.   Another Member on this site is archiving research material and/or references in the same vein as I've been doing.   I'm not the only one any more.

As a general rule, let's all keep the subjects of threads in this Bench on topic.   I strongly dislike leaving a bona fide thread subject unless someone does it first--and then he/she will be warned..   Deviations will be reported to the Moderators or deleted by me.   Bad language or offensive topics will be deleted as well, with reports to the Moderators first.   They prefer to be notified and I'll do that.   

--Lee

Reedit, 15 Jun '11:  Added this entry and added spaces between entries on this initial post.
Reedit, 17 Jun '11:  Added explanatory information with some grammar correction.
Reedit, 20 Jun '11:  Deleted a duplicate entry pertaining to this 'Reedit' log, as shown immediately.
Reedit, 21 Jun '11:  Added explanation to 'GUIDELINE RECOMMENDATION'.
Reedit, 25 Jun '11:  Clarification of descriptive language in 'GUIDELINE RECOMMENDATION.'  Simplification of heading at top of page and rearrangement of text to bottom of page.
Reedit, 27 Jun '11:  Additional explanations to more than one section, spelling correction, and numbering of individual points in the sections.
Reedit, 30 Jun '11:    Added stipulation that this thread not closed to the public.
Reedit, 10 Jul '11:     Added one more Announcement to bottom of page.
Reedit, 29 Jul '11:     Added short sentences of clarifying and explanatory text throughout this post.
Reedit, 24 Aug '11:   Rearranged text at top of post.  Added "Temporary Announcement" to this post at bottom.
Reedit, 27 Aug '11:   Added a little more explanatory text.
Reedit,  9 Sept '11:   Added explanatory statements to end of post.
Reedit, 16 Sept '11:  Added my employment notice and indefinite layoff from experimentation to top of page.
Reedit, 12 Oct '11:    Added Note to the text and expounded additionally elsewhere.
Reedit,  18 Oct '11:   Locked this thread.   Announcements and so on on other sites are usually reserved for Moderators.   Your comments are still welcome on other threads in this Bench.
Reedit, 30 Dec, '11:   Reedited this text as an update.
Reedit, 31 May, '13:   Updated this post with current pertinent information as to my plans and intentions as a new post.   Corrected a couple of similar issues in the original, initial post at the top of the page.
Reedit, 11 Jun '13:    Updated and announcement as to my immediate plans for this thread and Bench forum.
Reedit, 19 Mar '16     Added suggestion(s) about Radio Shack's closing stores nationwide and suggested that alternate sources of parts be researched, as needed.
Reedit, 20 Mar '16     Moved all Patent references to one post at the top of the page for easy access to all the Patent Numbers by me, members and the average public researchers.
« Last Edit: 2016-03-21, 05:28:19 by the_big_m_in_ok »

Permanent Announcement:
I've landed a job that will require too much of my time to continue experimentation here for the time being.  I may relocate as well.  My physical research experiments will be tabled for the indefinite future.
Later edited comment:
The job appears to have fallen through.   I've heard nothing from them after they said they would make an announcement or offer to me.

Well, I guess life is like that.   Now I know what a laid-off worker feels while coping with daily survival.

--Lee

Here's an announcement for all of you:

On Feb. 18, I went into a Radio Shack to "window shop", so to speak, and I saw they were selling 'solar "panels" '.   I asked the sales associate how much they went for and he price-checked these:
6 VDC   @.5 watt for $8.99, before taxes; around 4" x 6", from memory.
6 VDC @1.5 watt for $18.99, before taxes; around 6" x 8", from memory.
There would also be a big one about 8" X 10" coming out soon.   I would estimate (?) about 5 watts for around $45.00-$50.00.   And that's estimating by scale-up factor(s).

Lastly, he said Radio Shack was coming out with a new line of products that imitated small electronic parts from years ago.   (IC's for example.)   They were getting back to the way the company was years ago and offering more to choose from for the do-it-yourself experimenter.   Good for them.   :)    ;)    O0

--Lee
Later Reedit:
       As may be known to American Members of this site, Radio Shack closed a lot of stores nationwide and there's actually only two(2) left in San Francisco, where I live.   Also, Radio Shack's upper management appears to be cutting back on stock items that don't sell well and then eliminating these item from the company's inventory. (My speculation?)
       It may be a good idea to find alternate supplies of parts (Granger's & Mouser, for example), so as not to deprive yourself of needed hardware when it's necessary.
« Last Edit: 2016-03-19, 19:04:28 by the_big_m_in_ok »

Group: Administrator

Buy me some coffee
I would spend hours in Radio shack as a kid drawling over the things i could not afford, i am not even sure if they exist anymore in the UK not seen a shop for years, I bought my first solar cell from them when i was about 10-11  ;D It didn't work very well and was only a couple of inches square and was Selenium based  :)

We have maplin now, and they have been moving away from supplying single components, now you go in for some caps and you are lucky if they have 1 in stock.

Group: Administrator

It's not as complicated as it may seem...
In Canada RS has completely left, leaving in their wake a half-assed facsimile called "The Source".

---------------------------
"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." Frank Zappa

In Canada RS has completely left, leaving in their wake a half-assed facsimile called "The Source".
Good to hear from you guys.

Yeah, I like RS is doing more for the 'little guy' on his own.   Maybe they think their bottom line might look financially better if they went further with their product offerings?   Hope so.

I was only half right about the positioning of my apartment.   My picture windows face north, but there's a medium-sized United Methodist church across the street about 60 yds. distant.   It's painted white with khaki trim and reflects light into my apartment most of the day.
       On the other hand, someone at the V.A. strongly suggested that I not do electronic research because I was almost taken downtown for "questioning" by the cops for the homemade transformers they found and thought were bomb parts.   
       Take this as a personal experience from me to how the authorities can take something like what we're doing with "politically incorrect" R&D out of context.

--Lee

Temporary Announcement:
Because my daily and monthly schedule(s) are becoming hectic, I may not post to these threads for an indefinite period of time. ...   As it stands now, I get about an hour a day.   I can occasionally take time on some borrowed computers to post Replies here and elsewhere.
      I'll possibly have more time, but I'll still only have an hour a day unless I break up my library computer sessions into 15 minute segments.
I can take less time and spend no money to do my usual research with other electronic engineering subjects on other sites.
I'll have more time (some) and also more money to devote to research in the future.   The thread subjects on this bench forum will remain unchanged with possible additions as well.

Note:
These archived threads that are advertised by me as such, are meant to be for acquisition of reference material and exclude actual experimental research.   When I decide to physically experiment again, I'll unstick the "sticky" provision for the thread in question.
This will also stand as is.   This thread is for 'Announcements' by me to those who're interested to look at this thread.   That's unchanged.

(The rest of this post is basically unchanged with only a few exceptions and won't be repeated here except the
section title.)

"GUIDELINES:
RECOMMENDATIONS:"

--Lee

Everyone,
       As I added more and more patents are added to the (paraphrased) "Peculiar Patents with OU Potential" thread I started on my Bench forum, I decided to put all the Patent Number references in one post to keep them organized.    They're all right there in front of you if you if you log onto the forum.   The thread is shorter, with various posts consolidated into one post at the top of the page.
       Since I have only one place to look at for adding more antenna Patents, the addition might go a little faster in the future.
This posted Reply is given as an announcement for the change in the overall Bench forum I have at the bottom of the Home OU Research 'Web site with my site handle as the forum's title.

--Lee

Later Reedit:
       As may be known to American Members of this site, Radio Shack closed a lot of stores nationwide and there's actually only two(2) left in San Francisco, where I live.   Also, Radio Shack's upper management appears to be cutting back on stock items that don't sell well and then eliminating these item from the company's inventory. (My speculation?)
       It may be a good idea to find alternate supplies of parts (Granger's & Mouser, for example), so as not to deprive yourself of needed hardware when it's necessary.
       It's not just Radio Shack.   McDonald's (hamburgers) has closed 3 stores in S.F. where I live and may close more(?)
As well as 3 eateries in the popular local, downtown Westfield Mall.   And, one of these places has sat empty for months.

The whole economy is lurching slowly downhill---and the bottom is a rocky oblivion, IMHO.

--Lee

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-05-05, 18:31:23