PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-05-03, 02:12:36
News: If you have a suggestion or need for a new board title, please PM the Admins.
Please remember to keep topics and posts of the FE or casual nature. :)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
Author Topic: The Rosemary Ainslie Circuit  (Read 459801 times)
Group: Guest
Glen,

I would say that the heater housing is not grounded nor connected to anything at all. It is probably floating wrt the battery. Normally, the grounding would be done by screwing the cap into a grounded structure.

Again, I'll be surprised if she actually had that heater coil element custom manufactured.

Hi .99,

That's what I was thinking on the grounding issue now a days with so much plastic pipe in installations the heating vessel containing the inductor resistor element would be grounded itself though.

As for the inductor resistor element at one time I thought as you did and assumed it was off the shelf, unfortunately after many hours of looking for a example I found none just like it. The inductor resistor element I found were all in a round spiral design had the exterior circumference of the element on the same centerline as the threaded sealing nut with the end of the spiral going up the inside diameter as shown in the image I posted at Energetic ( http://www.energeticforum.com/102149-post82.html ) ....

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk15/fuzzytomcat/752237.jpg
The Rosemary Ainslie Circuit

I never found a inductor resistor element that had the end of the spiral going up the outside diameter of the element off centered .... it would only make sense to require equal heating around the exterior circumference for the element to be centered with the mounting threaded portion with the spiral end going up the center.

This is why I have little doubt it was custom made as RA said, and that why my curiosity on the complete details of this important component.

Glen
 ;)

Group: Administrator

It's not as complicated as it may seem...
Glen,

The heater coil you've posted may indeed be a custom job, as it appears somewhat crudely put together. However, the unit in the attached picture appears to be a manufactured COS unit. Or are they the same unit? Hard to tell.

Whether the return goes through the center of the coil or not is of little consequence if the unit is being inserted into a large vessel.

---------------------------
"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." Frank Zappa

From here:

Electric immersion heaters are widely used means of heating liquids such as water, chemical solutions, oil, alkalis, mild acids, electroplating solutions, salt solutions and many others. Immersion heaters typically have a tubular metal sheath in which a heating resistor coil is disposed, the coil being electrically insulated from the sheath by compacted refractory material which also serves to conduct the heat from the coil to the sheath. Immersion heaters generally has a resistance wire with a ceramic insulator assembly disposed in a sheath of material generally resistant to the liquid medium being heated.

"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." Frank Zappa

Indeed it seems difficult to find an immersion heater element made in the "coil" form factor. Most are made similar to the attached.

Buy me some coffee
I have seen that heating element or something very similar some years ago while repairing a large industrial tea urn.

They are also used in heated water hand washers, probably only a 1kw unit but maybe upto 3kW

http://www.uk-spares.com/pdfs/UK_Spares_brochure.pdf

Diagram left WS7 page 37
diagram Ws7U page 36

Ah ah eBay although i believe this is probably a dual element version.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Heatrae-Sadia-Santon-Heating-Element-95606952-Supreme-_W0QQitemZ140532218110QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=225497967649&rvr_id=225497967649&cguid=c5b667a612e0a479e73533a5ffdd6620

Indeed it seems difficult to find an immersion heater element made in the "coil" form factor. Most are made similar to the attached.

Yep, I spent some time ( days ) looking for a spiral immersion water heating element just like the one RA shown as her custom made component and couldn't find one with one end of the element going up the outside circumference of the spiral. The only ones I could find were from a very few manufactures "all" with one end of the element going up the inside center circumference as the image I posted earlier.

Here is a copy of a cut sheet from the attached PDF ......

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk15/fuzzytomcat/Electricfor_spiral_water_heater_-1.jpg

This manufacture in "Figure 1" has the spiral immersion water heating element in 240 Volt and in 1000, 1500, 2000 and 3000 watt units with a flange mounting

The image below is another type but still the one end of the element going up the inside center circumference.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk15/fuzzytomcat/Water-Tubular-Heating-Tube-Heater-Element-1.jpg

Now if what is being used is as I have suspected a custom made spiral immersion water heating element and not a unit that is "off the shelf" that the open source community can have a MANUFACTURES PART NUMBER for replications and to verify the resistance and wattage a "Thermo Profile" of the RA custom spiral immersion water heating element must be made for load verification purposes.

Glen
 ;)

Actually Glen, I don't think the type of load is critical, as long as the resistance and inductance are close. I can tell you that the simulations Hum and I ran do not take into account that the load is an immersion heater coil, and the darn thing still oscillates. ;)

It may just end up however, that to obtain a load with those values may require the use of one of these heater coils, but I don't know for certain.

Yet another inexcusable blunder by the team of "experts":

Well, this is terribly embarrassing; According to their published circuit diagram, simulation diagram, and the demonstration video, Rosie-posie and her team of "experts" has not only incorrectly labeled two of the nodes on the prototype board (the F and C are incorrectly swapped), but they have connected mosfets 2-5 incorrectly as well (the Gate and Source pins are incorrectly swapped, but M1 is all correct). It is not surprising however that her "experts" didn't catch this big "OOOPS" when they were repairing the unit.

This would explain the somewhat funky wave forms, and why the simulation results look slightly different.

This sure doesn't instill much confidence in anyone following along with this travesty, especially when considering the entire project is already teetering on the brink of self-destruction. A rhetorical question or two; So what are we now to make of all those posted wave forms and so-called measurements? Are the probes even displaying the circuit nodes we have been led to believe they are displaying?

That aside, as a gesture of good faith Rosie-posie, may the world please see that properly-conducted continuous operation test? I'm afraid it's the only way you're going to prove to anyone beyond a reasonable doubt that your claims are true.

And true to form, rather than checking out the facts, Rose flat out denies that there is anything wrong with the connections. I predict an apology on this any time soon. ;)

Posted at OU.com and awaiting moderator release:

Re: Rosemary Ainslie circuit demonstration on Saturday March 12th 2011
« Reply #725 on: Today at 10:10:50 PM »QuoteModifyNote: This message is awaiting approval by a moderator.

I have already shown several times how a false negative voltage can appear across an inductive shunt.  Now, with the revelation that at least part of any positive current is being diverted through the "upside down" group of MOSFETs and never appearing in the shunt at all and none of any negative current is thusly diverted, this further explains how a net average negative current could easily be displayed across the shunt when in fact the actual net current may well be quite positive.

Furthermore, there is a recurring theme here coming from Rosemary that it is somehow remarkable and anomalous that the drain waveform or so-called "battery voltage" is 180 degrees out of phase with the shunt waveform.  This is absolutely normal and would occur in all cases and always does!  This is true in MOSFET circuits, junction transistor circuits, tube circuits, switching circuits, linear amplifiers and linear oscillators of all kinds.  Obviously, as the current in the D-S channel increases, the shunt voltage goes up and the drain voltage goes down!  There is nothing at all surprising or anomalous there and, in fact, it would be virtually impossible to have it any other way.

This completely normal and expected behavior also easily explains why the V*V trace always shows a negative value in Rose's circuit.  The so-called "battery voltage" is always positive but varies in a way that it is at its high point when the shunt voltage is at its lowest (most negative) point.  So, when the two numbers are multiplied by the scope math, any negative voltage on the shunt is multiplied by a much larger number than during times when the shunt voltage is positive and the so-called "battery voltage" is at its lowest point.

Even if the negative voltage peak on the shunt was only, say, 1/4 of the positive voltage peak, as long as the so-called "battery voltage" multiplier was more than 4x larger at that moment than it is at its low point, you would see a net negative V*V product.  All of this nonsense has nothing to do with the actual input power from the battery!  

It is a completely normal, expected result of not actually using the real DC battery voltage (which is virtually constant) as a multiplier and instead, feeding in a huge ac voltage that actually comes from the wiring inductance and not the batteries and in truth represents only the di/dt (rate of change of current) and not the battery voltage at all.

When the wiring inductance of the battery stack was cut in half by measuring at the battery terminals and she observed an exactly corresponding reduction in half of the AC part of the waveform this instantly proved that all of the AC voltage on the battery measurement is due to the wiring inductance and that there was still about half of that inductance remaining inside the measurement path because of the long wires used to interconnect the battery stack (the inductance of which was never eliminated from the measurement loop).

Finally, the position of the shunt, being within the gate drive loop (and now also within the source path of 4/5 of the MOSFETs) is not by any means a true and exclusive measure of the battery current.

A very simple way to address all of these problems (and other problems I have pointed out before) is to place the shunt directly on the negative terminal of the battery stack instead of inside the gate/source drive loop as it now is.  In addition, the actual DC battery voltage (without the AC effects of the inter-battery wiring inductance) can be easily had by placing the probe across only the most negative battery of the stack.

These simple changes will have no effect on the circuit operation itself (all the same waveforms and oscillations and phase relationships will remain exactly intact) but will provide the actual measure of power flow into/out of the battery.

Simply take the V*V mean, multiply it by 4 (for the shunt being 1/4 ohm) and then multiply that by the number of identical batteries.  For absolute accuracy, the shunt inductance can easily be compensated out of the measurement (while leaving it in the circuit itself) by adding an RC time constant equal to the LR  time constant of the inductive shunt; RC=L/R.  The diagram below shows the existing shunt X'd out, but there is no problem with leaving it there so as to assure no effect on circuit operation.  You just can't measure there and expect to see only the battery current!

If Rose is still confused about any of these observations and the necessary procedures to make true input power measurements without making any changes to the operating characteristics of the circuit itself, once again, I urge her to consult with her local Tektronix or LeCroy Applications engineer.  Short of that, I will be more than happy to answer questions or give advice.  Here's to proper measurements in the future!  

Humbugger

And tuning those circuits to get those delicious resonances.  That's really easy.  And it's fun.

http://www.overunity.com/index.php?topic=10407.msg282981#msg282981

In my simulation, going from 4 mosfets down to 1 mosfet in pseudo-parallel with Q1, the Fo changes from ~1.3MHz to ~1.8MHz, and the P-P voltages increase about 25% or so. This make sense to me.

I'm currently looking for my spare IRFPG50, but so far I can't find it. I am pretty sure I bought 2 when I was putting together GL's PCB to test the previous version of this project. If I can find it, I might try the two in psuedo-parallel and see if I can get the oscillation.

Hi Poynt,

You most certainly got "two" from my recollection .... I know for a fact  ;)

There has been a prerequisite demand from Stefan at OU that if I wish to post again there at OU that the only way is to have a project device and results "he would let me in".

----- Original Message -----
To: "Glen Lettenmaier" <fuzzytomcat@xxxxxxxx.net>
Sent: Saturday, April 23, 2011 1:52 PM
Subject: Re: Forum Banning

Hi Glen,
have you been replicating her last circuit and can show me
a picture of your setup ?
If yes, I will let you in again.

Many thanks.

Regards, Stefan.

I'm sure your aware that any result good or bad I was to obtain in this experimental device under scrutiny that rumors of my being bias would be the nicest thing that would be said by Rosemary plus the OU.com trolls.

It should also be noted that the five (5) or six (6) 12V Silver Calcium batteries and the "load" immersion inductor resistor would be well over $500.00 to $600.00 (US) for a accurate complete "REPLICATION" of the experimental device and told Stefan that I was not interested in his web site destroying what dignity I have left from the last go around with Rosemary or him.

I do in fact have in my hands from www.questcomp.com six (6) International Rectifier IRFPG50 Mosfets left over from the last time earmarked for another project .... but alas I have no interest to do it at this time because of the bad karma that was given me from the head SA tribal clan witchdoctor.

If you need them Poynt there yours for "FREE" how many you need just give me a PM I'll get them air shipped to you ..... your our last front of defense here with all the venomous comments at OU.com for us whom spoke up getting banned from comment and now I have nothing nice to say at the "click" advertisement rag web site.

Best Regards,
Glen
 :)

EDIT -
I still think there's nothing to this circuit that hasn't been seen before by me and others first hand ..... you still need to charge the batteries there is no COP infinity
« Last Edit: 2011-04-25, 20:03:52 by FuzzyTomCat »

Do you know if the RA team is using a insulator pad between the Mosfet body drain and the heat sink .... like a sil pad or mica ??

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/irf/irfpg50.pdf ( International Rectifier - IRFPG50 HEXFET® Power MOSFET )

Glen

Hi Glen.

I don't know for certain, but my guess would be they are not.

If that's the case, this could produce a Drain "loop" because all those stacked heat sinks (the 4 anyway) would be connecting together. This would make for a nice radiator of HF noise, and who knows what else?

Good point.

Then again, maybe they are using an insulator.

Zoom in on this pic. It appears to be that gray "stuff".

I don't recall if contact can still be made to the heat sink with the screw, as would be possible if the proper screw insulator was not used, and there is metal around the mounting hole.

Thanks for the generous offer on the MOSFETs Glen.

I will let you know if I need some.

;)

Then again, maybe they are using an insulator.

Zoom in on this pic. It appears to be that gray "stuff".

I don't recall if contact can still be made to the heat sink with the screw, as would be possible if the proper screw insulator was not used, and there is metal around the mounting hole.

Well I'm not sure but they maybe using a sil pad ...

That's the first time I saw that build image you attached to the posting .... it appears they are using four (4) mosfets not five (5) and their G S D leads are connected to screw stand offs with alligator clips or am I seeing things  ???  .... those alligator clips look like they may not be voltage and amperage rated for this particular application .... IMHO  They should have used a wire ring terminal with jam nuts on the screw stand offs to make the mosfet termination resistance the same with no possibility of a loose connection.

Glen

The mounting screw hole in the mosfet is insulated from the drain just the back plain is connected to the drain pin

Glen,

Thanks for that update on the PG50. They should be well isolated then I would think.

The Q1 MOSFET is behind that 4-stack, and it is mounted right on the perf board, so you don't see it in that shot. It is mounted on a much smaller U-channel heat sink, which is why it is not that prominent in the video. Yes the leads are connected to studs via alligator clips. I wouldn't worry too much about the current; I don't think there is ever more than 1A or so.

I looked at the image again a little closer ... it really almost looks like semi conductor paste for "conductivity" a common mistake for FET's not for isolation which is required as I found out the hard way.  :o

Glen
 ;)

Hi Poynt,

I see your modified circuit diagrams on your reply posting #895 (link) at the other place ....

How does the body diode inside of the IRFPG50 International Rectifier Mosfet effect these circuits ? It appears to me the diode creates a direct path to the 11.11 Ohm Load inductor through Q2, Q3, Q4 and Q5 from the source to the drain from the frequency generator ?  :o

Glen
 ;)

Hi Poynt,

I see your modified circuit diagrams on your reply posting #895 (link) at the other place ....

How does the body diode inside of the IRFPG50 International Rectifier Mosfet effect these circuits ? It appears to me the diode creates a direct path to the 11.11 Ohm Load inductor through Q2, Q3, Q4 and Q5 from the source to the drain from the frequency generator ?  :o

Glen
 ;)

Do not use the generic image supplied by Spice for the IRFPG50 Mosfet it does not show the internal body diode .... you can with the correct image see how the function generator is supplying power to the circuit.

Glen
 ;)

Poynt:

I can't see the simplifications.  I feel blind!

Let me give you my take on the oscillations.  This will be very simplified so it will probably be incorrect.  I read your descriptions of the operation of the circuit and found I could not follow you.

So here goes...

The main driving force behind the appearance of the big negative spike is the negative voltage from the function generator, it's not due to an inductance charging or discharging.

Start with Q2 just being switched on, so we have positive gate-source voltage.  The switch-on pulls the drain to -5 volts, the potential of the function generator.  That also pulls the Q2 gate low because it is coupled through D3 and C13.  So the instant Q2 switches on it immediately switches itself off.  That explains the sharp negative spike.  (Note also that current is flowing "backwards" through the CSR here and the power source is the function generator and not the batteries.)

The instant Q2 has switched off we are at the bottom of the negative spike.  The high potential of the battery supply starts to charge up the potential at the Q2 drain and also Q2's gate capacitance through C13.  Of course the currents are all very low here because Q1 is shut off.  That means the CSR is being choked off, and it's barely measuring the current flow from the batteries.

Once Q2's gate capacitance gets pushed to a high enough potential from the current flow through C13, Q2 switches on and the whole cycle starts all over again.

The big shocker is that almost nothing is flowing through the CSR and the Q2 gate node is quasi floating.  It's just a small capacitor tied to ground through the CSR and its associated inductance.  So the oscillations all revolve around charging and discharging the node of the Q2 gate, a flimsy capacitor.  The charge in that capacitor is being modulated by the AC current set up by the oscillation that's coupled through C13.

I know I am not factoring in the effects of the inductance in the circuit on this first go round.

You can see that there are two time constants for the charging cycle.  I will take a crack at that.  The first time constant is when the battery voltage is pumping current back through C13.  At about -0.5 volts, the Q2 starts to go into partial conduction.  That starts to pull the drain lower, and hence reduces the current flow through C13.  Hence the rate of increase in the Q2 gate voltage starts to decrease.  When you hit 1.7 volts the MOSFET fully switches on and the drain voltage takes the dramatic drop.

Note that what I am calling the Q2 gate voltage is also the CSR voltage.  In essence, the function of the CSR has been hijacked and it's not really functioning as a CSR anymore.  The CSR node is just a flimsy capacitor associated with the Q1 and Q2 MOSFETS, and that flimsy capacitor is going up and down in voltage because it is at the heart of the oscillator.

And to repeat, the main current flow through the CSR coming from an "active" source is due to the function generator signal when it is at a negative potential, and not from the batteries.  The current is flowing from ground, through the body diode of Q1, though Q2, and then into the function generator.

Anyway, just my thoughts and again, I probably made many mistakes.

MileHigh

One more comment:

With Q1 always shut off you only have AC coupling to the current sensing resistor through C13 and Q2's gate capacitance when the current is flowing clockwise through the circuit.  By definition, the current sensing resistor has to be in a bidirectional DC conduction path with the source batteries to properly measure the current flow.

So the current sensing resistor is not functional in that position for this circuit.  It goes back to Humbugger's statement that the current sensing resistor had to be moved to make proper measurements.

The bottom line is that the CSR data is no good and is not an accurate picture of the true battery current.

Also, about the main flow of current in this circuit:

The main flow of current flows from the batteries through the heating element and then through Q2 and then into the function generator.  With the batteries at 72 volts and the function generator at -5 volts the two potential sources add together and look like a 77-volt supply pushing current through the circuit.

When the current takes this path both the batteries and the function generator are supplying power to the circuit with the bulk of the power coming from the batteries.  The CSR is not in this path and can't measure this current.

I am always referencing Poynt's simplified version of the circuit diagram for my comments.

MileHigh

Howdy everyone,

I'm just trying to determine exactly if the last posted circuit (link) at Rosemary's blog is the correct "AS BUILT" diagram.

I've attached the one posted there and a second a modified version adding only the existing internal Mosfet body diodes.  ;)

Fuzzy

Quoting Rosemary:

Or if denial has simply become a compulsive illogical habit - a kind of addiction - like MileHigh has.

My arguments in my previous two postings are logical and reasonable and are based on a technical analysis of the simplified model for the circuit that Poynt created.  I am not 100% certain about my analysis of the oscillation mechanism but my comments about the problems with the positioning of the CSR and the path for the main current flow are sound.

Poynt is converging on the full understanding of exactly how your circuit works and what's becoming more and more apparent is that you and your team of "EXPERTS" have been playing with your circuit without really and truly understanding how it works.

From what I can see you "discovered" a variation on a circuit that oscillates.  You are making measurements on the operation of an oscillator thinking that it represents measurements on the energy flow through the heating element when in fact they are two different things.  The waveform across the CSR averages out to a negative value because of the negative five-volt bias from the function generator output and not because current is flowing back into the batteries.  The simple fact is that the CSR in your setup is not measuring the true current flow through the batteries,  nor is it measuring the true current flow through the heating element.  You and your supposed "team of EXPERTS" simply did not get it.

I am just calling it as I see it and your attempts to characterize me as somebody with a compulsive need to deny the alleged benefits of your circuit are simply wrong.  The challenge for you is to make technical arguments to rebut my points.  Go ahead Rosemary, tell us why I am wrong about the CSR being in the wrong place and tell us why I am wrong when I state that the main current flow flows from the batteries through the heating element and then through Q2 and then into the function generator.

MileHigh

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-05-03, 02:12:36