PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-05-17, 11:18:59
News: Check out the Benches; a place for people to moderate their own thread and document their builds and data.
If you would like your own Bench, please PM an Admin.
Most Benches are visible only to members.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Magnetic Locking WITHOUT a Superconductor!  (Read 2588 times)

This video is very impressive and demonstrates a concept that at least I had not seen before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5FyFvgxUhE

Group: Tinkerer

This video is very impressive and demonstrates a concept that at least I had not seen before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5FyFvgxUhE
Definitely impressive! Thanks MB. Link to paper referenced in video is here. https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/2009/2009.07082.pdf

Fascinating!  And such a simple concept.

The Alternating, or Rotating Magnetic Field, depending upon how it is looked at.

Work has been done with a Two Phase Alternating Magnetic Field which attracts
non-magnetic metals, due to induced Eddy Currents, which is also a simple concept
quite fascinating.
« Last Edit: 2021-01-12, 05:24:02 by muDped »

---------------------------
For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open.

I had a go at this last night. Got little magnets scattered around the shed now..:)

Group: Mad Scientist

Saw the vid and loved it. Got me to thinking how it could be done using electromagnets instead of the rotating magnet to get the effect.... ;)

Thanks

Mags

That is interesting, nice catch.

I have built many switched electromagnetic levitators and magnetic bearings however I couldn't predict this new effect being possible.

However I did have a similar thought that if a high speed servo could move a PM to the correct orientation in response to another magnets motion it could be levitated. Although it would require sensors, a computer, predictive algorithms and high speed servo's. Where this effect produces levitation using the magnets own inertia to stabilize itself... brilliant.

I think there is much more to this effect I haven't quite figured out yet relating to superposition. This new effect would seem to be based on the fact that the rotating field poles have moved to a new position by the time the stationary magnets field can react due to it's own inertia. Thus the stationary magnet feels both an attractive pull and repulsive push near simultaneously depending on the field phase inertial relationship. It may relate to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle whereby something changes so fast it could appear to be in more places at once than it actually is in reality.

I'm not sure if anyone picked up on this but this effect opens up certain possibilities. For example, if I had a large diameter superconducting electromagnetic ring and could produce the same magnetic rotation effects then the rotating magnetic field ring could possibly levitate/propel in any external magnetic field. Like the Earths magnetic field perhaps relating to Einstein's notions on relativity. The levitation effect is relative and it may not matter whether the stationary magnetic field moves or the electromagnetic ring does. Which begs the question... where is the inertial component?

My spider sense is tingling on this one, there's something interesting here.

---------------------------
Comprehend and Copy Nature... Viktor Schauberger

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”― Richard P. Feynman

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-05-17, 11:18:59