PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-05-16, 05:17:25
News: Registration with the OUR forum is by admin approval.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Claim of a perpetual rotating wheel using salt water and gravity  (Read 3077 times)
Group: Professor

What do you think of this?

Early on, he seems to say "some kind of motor" but then later, he says there is NO motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50Aag0J0Qe4&feature=youtu.be

Group: Elite Experimentalist

Buy me some coffee
  What do you think of this?

Early on, he seems to say "some kind of motor" but then later, he says there is NO motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50Aag0J0Qe4&feature=youtu.be

Well, there getting better-the fakes that is.

Obviously this has been tried before-hasn't it?.

Maybe something to do with frame rate,but looks like the wheels speed is jumpy,and bits have been edited together.

Concrete  floor,and no sign of a motor-Mmm
Maybe an air nozzle just above,out of frame,with voice over and running sound added after video was shot?.

Brad

---------------------------
Never let your schooling get in the way of your education.

Right - I'm thinking it may be an air-driven deal also.  Also, he doesn't really show how he gets it started...

He says he will do follow-up videos...

Here's another, same type...  Seems to slow down then speed up...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GABNrhryqnw#t=175.373832

Text with the vid explains:
Published on May 17, 2017
Bhāskara's wheel was invented in 1150 by Bhāskara II, an Indian mathematician, in an attempt to create a perpetual motion machine. The wheel consisted of curved or tilted spokes partially filled with mercury. Once in motion, the mercury would flow from one side of the spoke to another, thus forcing the wheel to continue motion.

Group: Guest
My comment, made 5 months ago, is already there on the video. Surprisingly it hasn't been removed.

My comment, made 5 months ago, is already there on the video. Surprisingly it hasn't been removed.

There are lots of comments on the video in the OP .... lots!
Could you post your comment here?  that would be helpful.

PS - i think this is a hoax; not quite sure how yet.

There are lots of comments on the video in the OP .... lots!
Could you post your comment here?  that would be helpful.

PS - i think this is a hoax; not quite sure how yet.

Interesting... when I view the video while logged in with my YT account, my comment is right there up at the top. But when I view the video while _not_ logged in, I can't find my comment at all. So perhaps it has been suppressed, especially since it has no reply comments and only one up-vote. YT is really funny in the way it handles comments. There are a bunch of other negative comments though. Mine has apparently been buried.

This is what I said 5 months ago:
"Actually had it running for over a month before" -- bullshit. I think you are telling porkies. Anyone with basic engineering mechanics under his belt can show you and the rest of the world how to calculate the actual moments and torques to show that this wheel is actually never "overbalanced" at all. Not only that but thousands of well-intentioned AND HONEST but foolish people have tried for centuries, with much better engineering skills, to make "overbalanced" wheels that turn of themselves and have always failed. Suddenly you succeed with a bicycle wheel, some tie-wraps and plastic bottles in a YT clickbait video. Right. Get a life.

I am afraid I am not very kind when confronted with such things.

Donald Simanek has an excellent page on "overbalanced" wheels that are really not.
https://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/museum/overbal.htm

I can think of several ways to fake this thing without even straining. Remember the "Mylow magnet motor" fakes that he did with monofilament fishing line, invisible to the camera, and an electric motor out of the camera frame?

Buy me some coffee
Interesting... when I view the video while logged in with my YT account, my comment is right there up at the top. But when I view the video while _not_ logged in, I can't find my comment at all. So perhaps it has been suppressed, especially since it has no reply comments and only one up-vote. YT is really funny in the way it handles comments. There are a bunch of other negative comments though. Mine has apparently been buried.

This is what I said 5 months ago:
I am afraid I am not very kind when confronted with such things.

Donald Simanek has an excellent page on "overbalanced" wheels that are really not.
https://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/museum/overbal.htm

I can think of several ways to fake this thing without even straining. Remember the "Mylow magnet motor" fakes that he did with monofilament fishing line, invisible to the camera, and an electric motor out of the camera frame?

Oddly enough,there is one version of this over balanced wheel that actually dose rotate on it's own  O0
Even confirmed by mythbusters  :D

Do you know which one it was/is TK ?

Brad

Buy me some coffee
This one looks more realistic.
Anyone have an english translated version?.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSsDX3fEsSo

Brad

Oddly enough,there is one version of this over balanced wheel that actually dose rotate on it's own  O0
Even confirmed by mythbusters  :D

Do you know which one it was/is TK ?

Brad

Are you talking about the Finsrud machine?

As far as the museum display by David Jones,  it is what it is: a museum display piece, powered by a concealed system. Compressed air, if I recall correctly. I've seen a similar display in the science museum in Toronto. It doesn't take much to turn a well balanced wheel on good bearings; just an ordinary aquarium air pump will do the trick, easily concealed in the base and very quiet running.

As far as the bottle-and-bikewheel in the OP, and suspending disbelief for a moment, it clearly doesn't want to accelerate beyond the speed we see it running at in the video. This means that it is "producing" only enough power to match the losses at that speed, since there is no regulating mechanism at all other than those losses due to bearing friction, windage, sloshing, etc. Consider what will happen when it is connected to the hand-crank flashlight that clearly takes some work to turn. The wheel will rapidly grind to a halt.

Now resuming our judgement that it is a hoax driven by an external power source of some kind, we still have the same problem. The external source isn't providing enough power for it to accelerate. So for it to turn the crank on the flashlight, the external power source will have to be increased, and/or the coupling of the external power to the wheel has to be improved to overcome the additional drag of the generator. Many commenters seem to think that it is powered by a fan or leaf-blower, and the audio track is dubbed in. Maybe that's how it's done, I don't know. I don't think the video is looped but it could be, by someone with more skill at video editing than I've got. The video does seem clear enough so that a fine fishing line drive might be detectable.

It's a mistake to believe that just because the visible part of the apparatus is simple and crude, that the method of fakery is also simple and crude. In fact this is a common trick used by illusionists all the time. Pretend to be clumsy and inept, use crude construction, and the audience will not consider just how difficult and sophisticated the real method is. But in this case... I'll wager that the trick is pretty simple, like the off-camera leaf blower + dubbed soundtrack.

The thing is easy enough to build. Who among us will be the first one to do it? Not I ....    :D

I vaguely recall an implementation involving a hair dryer.

The lack of power could be got round by using lead shot (there are various heavy, expensive and toxic liquids) but I doubt the whole concept.

Buy me some coffee

As far as the museum display by David Jones,  it is what it is: a museum display piece, powered by a concealed system. Compressed air, if I recall correctly. I've seen a similar display in the science museum in Toronto. It doesn't take much to turn a well balanced wheel on good bearings; just an ordinary aquarium air pump will do the trick, easily concealed in the base and very quiet running.

Are you talking about the Finsrud machine?

No,i was referring to the one that uses half filled gas bottles,where the opposite two are linked via a pipe.
When the bottle on the bottom heats,it forces liquid gas to the bottle opposite (at the top),and causes rotation.

Of course it rotates very slowly,and is thermal powered.

Then there is the drinking bird-thats a neat one.
If the whole device was placed in a seal glass or plexiglass box,and the condensation was redirected to drip back into the glass holding the water,then there would be no reason it wouldnt run forever--well,for a few years anyway.

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-05-16, 05:17:25