PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-05-05, 19:37:53
News: Forum TIP:
The SHOUT BOX deletes messages after 3 hours. It is NOT meant to have lengthy conversations in. Use the Chat feature instead.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Don Smith's Briefcase Device  (Read 169500 times)

Group: Administrator

Buy me some coffee
We have some really good information on the Briefcase Device

Primary Coil 5 Turns
Secondary Coil 10 Turns each coil and there are 2 coils.
Primary caps used 2 0.2uF 4000V caps
Secondary Cap 0.047uF 6kV

Large metal caps are either 2kv 8uF or 8kv 2uF
« Last Edit: 2009-12-09, 12:19:49 by Peterae »

It's not as complicated as it may seem...
Curious Peter,

Why is this device referred to as the briefcase device?

---------------------------
"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." Frank Zappa

Buy me some coffee
Hi Poynt

Don had a device he wheeled around in a briefcase that he supposedly used as a working traveling demonstration,he referred to this model as the briefcase version in one of the videos so i guess this must be it.

Peter

Hi Peter.

I was curious because yesterday I watched all 19 video clips on Youtube and he shows his suitcase model that he takes traveling with him. The unit you have been working on that has a lot of information available is not this suitcase model of his. He had the board-mounted version there at the Tesla Symposium as well, but it was not powered up. He claims that the suitcase model is a 1/4 scaled-down version of the board-mount device, but he refuses to show the suitcase model.

One can't help but get the feeling Don is faking it all after watching that video. It was humorous to watch him squirm when the audience pressured him. They pretty much had him for lunch. Sorry mate, he talks and acts like a shyster.

His neon transformer faux pas introduces a lot of suspicion into the whole deal, and he seems to push this issue quite a bit. No one took up his offer to read the label and do the calculation. They probably didn't have the heart to tell the guy he was wrong about his  neon transformer being an OU device.

The final nail in the coffin for me was when he first refused to run his device off 100W bulbs for the duration of 4 minutes, then when the guys came back with some of their own 100W bulbs and had them installed, his unit's output voltage started declining within a few minutes of powering ON, all the while Don was saying that the output voltage would correct itself by increasing, but it only continued to decrease, clearly indicating that the 12V battery powering the suitcase device was indeed not recharging as Don claims it does.

It appears Don is another "magniworks" type guy. Hope I'm wrong.

« Last Edit: 2009-12-14, 15:06:30 by poynt99 »

"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." Frank Zappa

Group: Guest
Hi all,

Firstly, thanks for inviting me onto this forum.

I too have read quite a bit about Don Smith and his claims. His video presentation with the suitcase unit and light bulbs was not convincing. His claim that the neon lighting transformer is OU is quite frankly ridiculous and he either does not understand how the manufacturer rates the device and really believes what's written on the label, or else he is trying to mislead people!

Hoppy

I might add that it has been almost 15 years since that Tesla Symposium in 1996, and none of Don's predictions have come true, those being that his units would be commercially available in Japan and in EU, and that the North American auto makers were dead in the water because of his technology. As far as I know, none of his units are used anywhere in the world, in particular north American vehicles etc.

« Last Edit: 2009-12-14, 17:51:36 by poynt99 »

Buy me some coffee
smith Hi guys
This doesn't surprise me really LOL
I have not yet had the time to watch those videos above that stprue kindly gave me the links to put up, ut i also have 2 dvd videos
Don's inventors weekend 2001 and Don Smith interview and workshop.

There are so many inaccuracy's in his data in one video he says a cap is a certain value and the camera zooms in and you can read the value a totally different value.

Still it's been good fun replicating so far, one thing i have found that he said is correct, that moving the primary coil by sliding it through the secondary coil, alters the primary and secondary resonant frequency by the same amount, and therefore acts as a frequency control for the device, i am hoping to make a video of this ar some point.

Peter

I might add that it has been almost 15 years since that Tesla Symposium in 1996, and none of Don's predictions have come true, those being that his units would be commercially available in Japan and in EU, and that the North American auto makers were dead in the water because of his technology. As far as I know, none of his units are used anywhere in the world, in particular north American vehicles etc.

Doesn't that seem to be a trend!

Unfortunately it's a trend that has existed for a while and may not change.

If Don is a fake, I have to give him credit for being one of the better ones I've seen, in terms of how nicely built his devices are, and how much effort he has put into documents etc. At the same time, I understand that there is a lot of obfuscation, whether intentional or not, but it's there.

Nonetheless, I look forward to seeing Peter's replication of the board-mounted unit develop.

@Peter,

You´ve mentioned that the L1 and L2 both change resonance to the same f when using the sliding adjustment between the two.

How are you measuring the resonance, how are you connecting things to test resonance of L1 and L2, somethilng like the pic below (ignore spark gap).

« Last Edit: 2009-12-15, 00:12:55 by Fraser »

Fraser,

My suggestion to Peter for measuring the resonant frequency of any coil, especially high frequency air-core coils, is to manually connect the coil using a hand-controlled bare wire connection to the supply terminal, while having a scope probe (either shorted to its ground lead or not) in a fixed position near the coil. The oscilloscope would be set to trigger on an edge to capture the ringing after the wire is disconnected.

The natural resonant ringing frequency of the coil should be evident, and will not be skewed by the probe capacitance if the probe was directly connected as shown.

Fraser,

My suggestion to Peter for measuring the resonant frequency of any coil, especially high frequency air-core coils, is to manually connect the coil using a hand-controlled bare wire connection to the supply terminal, while having a scope probe (either shorted to its ground lead or not) in a fixed position near the coil. The oscilloscope would be set to trigger on an edge to capture the ringing after the wire is disconnected.

The natural resonant ringing frequency of the coil should be evident, and will not be skewed by the probe capacitance if the probe was directly connected as shown.

OK, so impulse response picked up by nearby probe.

Do you know if he observed single freq ringdown from his coaxial aircoil assembly? That´s what I´m guessing he´s saying, if so then that´s neat!

Buy me some coffee
Hi Fraser
I have not managed to use the test method provided by Poynt yet my spark arresters seem short circuit that will teach me to buy from ebay LOL

So far i used my sig gen to sweep until it showed a maximun amplitude across the primary and secondary coils.
The next test will involve sparking the primary with my low power HV PSU and sniff with a remote probe and do a spectral plot of the noise surrounding the device.

also i have one of those electrical testers for sniffing mains power, the one Don uses in one of the videos and driving the primary coil and using this tester it beeps about 18 inches all around the device.

Not really spent much time on the tests yet, as i have been getting the site up, i want to reconfigure my secondary caps, at the moment i have 5 x 1uf 2500v oil caps in parallel ut will drop one of them and then set up 2 banks of 2 1uf caps in series with each other to give me secondary storage of 1uF @ 5kv.

Not sure if you have yet noticed but i bought the book Don mentions and scanned the first chapter and have put it up on the info page.

Peter

OK, nice one peter. I have tried the sniffing method, but of course my HV supply was in the mix, I have yet to try a hand triggered impulse, I should do because I have DSO. It will tell me what just the coil assembly is doing.

No I hadn´t noticed the book scan, I will read that chapter, thanks for scanning it!

Am I wrong in thinking this looks incomplete?

Like where is the cap between both ends of L2?

Where is the threshold device between the output of L2 and the diodes, allowing L2 and L1 to ring up back and forth to a certian level with harmonics of the RF of L1, 1/4 L2, 1/2 L2 and everything they produce as a byproduct , before overflowing into the big cap banks..

I think parts are missing..

This is where his coils came from but the coils he used are smaller than the ones listed in stock now:

http://www.bwantennas.com/coils/aduxlex.htm
« Last Edit: 2010-02-07, 18:46:15 by darkspeed »

another

Coil Don used is 3064 on the page http://www.bwantennas.com/coils/mini.htm

Really? Where did you find that info?

I thought it was an Airdux model that was no longer made in that configuration..

In one of his presentations he mentioned that he was using  Barker & Williamson coil 3 inches in diameter. He said that he removed few turns in the middle. It's only coil that matches his description in  Barker & Williamson.

Dont quote me as fact, but i remember one of the guys calling Barker & Williamson to find out the exact items don was ordering and it turned out the part number was no longer produced, but B&W were considering putting it back in their product line.. probably because of all the don smith reproductions lol..
I have not called them but im sure they could give the specs on his exact coil..

for example if  the inductance of L1 is around 3uh , at 0.2uf it would be 205khz and 1/2 of l2 would be 12.75uh , at 0.047uf it would be 205khz minus some correction for self capacitance and then its time to hunt down the resistors to work on the reactance of the " Isolation Transformer " i.e. tesla coil. From what I have figured so far it looks like the other half of the L2 would resonate at the 9th harmonic of the first half of L2... Strange thought but i wonder if he is slowing down the voltage to the same speed of the current ... if that is possible..
« Last Edit: 2010-02-10, 08:06:48 by darkspeed »

In any case, table top device we are playing with never was demonstrated as functioned one.  :-[

Dons Diodes

Varo Quality Semiconductor, Inc.

After snapping up Mooresville, North Carolina-based General Microcircuits, Inc., and Orange, California-based Distributed Microtechnology, Inc., in 1988, Microsemi rounded out the decade by acquiring Sertech Labs, Inc., and Microsemi Assembly and Test, Inc., in 1989. That year, sales reached a record $104 million. The company also acquired Garland, Texas-based Varo Quality Semiconductor, Inc., in 1989 and changed Varo's name to Micro Quality Semiconductor, Inc.

I think they are VF25-25x   25kv 25ma fast recovery 2" long 0.3 diameter

No longer made, just these : http://www.microsemi.com/support/searchlist.asp?MN=440&QUERY=high+voltage+rectifier&image1.x=0&image1.y=0

« Last Edit: 2010-02-09, 03:37:32 by darkspeed »

Dons secondary capacitor

ASC Capacitors
Capacitor, Metallized Polyester; 0.047uF; Axial; 6000VDC; +/-10%; 0.74In.Dia.; 2.664I    8400v@pulse
Mfr's Part#:    X675-.047-10-6000
Allied Stk#:    225-6165

« Last Edit: 2010-02-09, 19:15:58 by darkspeed »

Dons primary capacitor

Part# : KMS1A402104K date code 7702

last item in the chart below

This is a really really good capacitor!!

http://www.customelec.com/highvoltagelanding.htm

« Last Edit: 2010-02-09, 04:23:02 by darkspeed »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-05-05, 19:37:53