PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-05-05, 18:31:59
News: Check out the Benches; a place for people to moderate their own thread and document their builds and data.
If you would like your own Bench, please PM an Admin.
Most Benches are visible only to members.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Don Smith's Briefcase Device  (Read 169499 times)
Group: Guest
Dons Inverter

Radioshack 22-132 140w modified sine wave inverter 

This inverter came with three different label styles but it was all the same device

Dons NST

BERTONEE NPS-? ? ? ? Transformer : center tap ground unit with no ground fault

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=8OYeAAAAEBAJ&dq=Patent+5430635

The VT 6030-120 is the replacement model when it changed to VENTEXTECH but this model is not center tap ground

http://www.ventextech.com/#gen3!Indoor Units

I have three different compact electronic NST's and I can not get any of them to arc to ground without shutting down the nst, I guess it is a ground fault safety feature

tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
The problem is solid state trannys (SSTs) have both ground fault and
open circuit protection.  Basically if the load doesn't look
something like a neon tube, the tranny trips.  If you want to go
inside and defeat the protection, the Allanson is probably the
easiest POS (piece o' s..t).  Just a crappy little 555 square wave
generator banging a couple of power mos-fets.  The gf protection is
the center tap return brought through a toroid transformer with the
secondary feeding a simple 1 transistor level detector.  The ENABA
10kv tranny has erratic to non-existant GF protection.  You could
take a chance but it is potted so if you get one that works, you're
SOL.

Next, SSTs are rather intolerant of reactive loads.  The mfrs warn
in large text to minimize the capacitive loading.  Capacitive, in
this case is the few pF represented by the GTO wire in conduit and
the tubing above the sign ground plane.  Whereas a magnetic tranny
will simply reflect reactive current out to the power line, SSTs
tend to dissipate the reactive power in the transformer and power
transistors.  That is, if the reactive power doesn't cause the
transistors to fire when they shouldn't and let all the blue smoke
leak out.

The last consideration is that SSTs don't output their nameplate
voltage.  They output voltage to light an equivalent amount of
tubing.  Since high freq drives neon better than 60 hz, the voltage
is lower.  A typical 9kv tranny will produce 5-6kv.

Seems to me it would be a bunch easier to breadboard a switching HV
power supply using a 555, a SMPS power mosfet or two and one of the
low impedance auto ignition coils such as the HEI coil.  More power
capability and none of the stuff needed to make 'em live on neon to
have to defeat.

John

--
John De Armond
johngdSPAMNOT-at-bellsouth-dot-net
Neon John's Custom Neon
Cleveland, TN
"Bendin' Glass 'n Passin' Gas"

« Last Edit: 2010-02-09, 06:36:04 by darkspeed »

I dont have the specks on the choke but this will give you a point of reference

Comparable Choke

2 section 10 MHy Each

Dons NST

BERTONEE NPS-? ? ? ? Transformer : center tap ground unit with no ground fault

I have three different compact electronic NST's and I can not get any of them to arc to ground without shutting down the nst, I guess it is a ground fault safety feature

Hey Darkspeed,

The last line - you couldnt get it arc to its center tap "ground" without shutting down or earth ground? I believe center tapped earth grounded nst might be a big contributor to this setup in a first place. In his words talking about his nst: "....earth ground is required or you will not get any amps...." also when you look at his "commercial" unit as he calls it we can see a big "old fashion" magnetic nst feeding those 3 tri-var caps solely, without any other obvious amplification coils...

This is just my opinion from what I was able to observe

Let me know what you thiink

Regards Minde

Hi Minde,

Im not sure the primary has to have an earth ground to cause the effect, in a tesla system it does not..

The reason he was using center tap in the electronic nst was so he could get 70khz out of it .. ( my opinion )

If each ac output had a diode on it ( which it does ) and he was dumping to centertap his 35khz ac would come out 70 khz dc.

I dont know what he was doing with the three phase caps on the magnetic nst.. unless he was just using the magnetic nst at 120hz and then setting the pulse rate using one half of the three phase cap. I think the three phase cap is actually two caps in one can.

I have spent A LOT of time running nst's from inverters and there is a limit to what you can get out of them. There is a point that  - even with a terry filter , big resistors , PFC capacitors - that the feedback into the inverter will smoke it or trip it off. The dimmers work much better on the magnetic nst's and on the electronic nst's they will only reduct the output by about 20%

In my opinion the only part of the Don Smith system that has to have a solid ground is the part that has been covered with correcting fluid lol...

The frequency ( in the mhz range ) and the voltage he refers to is not congruent with the coils shown... ie.. i think there is a high turns coil missing from the system..
« Last Edit: 2010-02-10, 18:31:22 by darkspeed »

Group: Administrator

Buy me some coffee
Ds

if you are right about the 70khz then maybe the plan should be to drive a number of hv coils , either line output transformers or ignition coils or any high voltage transformer, and fire each coil one after the other @35khz if thats possible, so to get 70khz we could have 2 sequential transformers firing one after the other, we could even add more stages to increase the fire rate, maybe drive them from a 4017 or ripple counter, this way in theory we could potentially drive a coil at the resonant frequency say 200khz and upto 30kv using line outputs transformers, not sure what we would use for the caps at this voltage, but we could adjust the primary turns on the transformer to bring it down to anything we wanted say 7kv.

Maybe we could have a bank of 7kv flash trigger transformers 10 of them and fire them from a 4017 Johnson counter to obtain 200khz ish and adjust the master frequency to tune for resonance.

This sounds like a great psu to build certainly would come in handy for a lot of this resonance stuff, what we need are some cheap and small HV coils we can hook 10 up

Peter

Hi Peter,

Honestly I think if you over drive it you will kill it..

Think of it this way

The nst, gap,cap,and primary are just the exciter, they are not the source of power, they create the required modulation.

The second coil ( which i think is not shown ) has a stout ground wire and between the ground wire and the coil is a one-way device.

The primary excites the second coil and every time that resonant charge moves to one end of the second coil additional evergy is sucked in through the stout ground.

( or depending on how you look at it, energy is pumped down to ground drawing in additional energy from the surrounding enviroment )

This additional energy is  loosley resonatly coupled to the third ( pair ) of coils one biased for voltage and one biased for amperage

The reason i dont think you can put over 5kv on the primary is the top of the grounded second coil will hit many many kv like a tesla secondary

Its a Tesla Magnifier Transmitter and Tesla Magnifier Receiver all in one axis

This is all my best guess but it is the direction i am moving
« Last Edit: 2010-02-10, 20:47:23 by darkspeed »

If I had to guess he was hitting the primary with 70khz and the primary tank was 210khz

so maybe the second coil was running at 840khz or 1050khz ( 1.05mhz now we are in the mhz range like we should be )

And each half of the third coil was tanked at 210khz -- i think there is a cap missing there too..

If those diodes are in fact 25kv they should take the hit from the top coil ok and they should take a pulse current of a few amps or more from the bottom coil.

You can hit an 8kv pulse cap with a short 20kv pulse without killing it.. the choke on output is starting to make more sence..

If I really wanted to drive this thing hard without a nst I would connect a 2kv power source to a G-811 Triode ( russian version ) and try much higher base frequencies
« Last Edit: 2010-02-10, 20:51:27 by darkspeed »

@Ds

Makes me wonder if you have seen all of his videos.. or probably you just dont recall it. At one point he crearly talks about his NST and definately emphasizes that "earth ground comes in here (finger pointing is not visible on camera..)or you will not get any amps...."
Another point: there is a rumor that one should not connect earth ground to nst due to possible dangerous power level buildup... I believe there has got to be some reason for it. Let me know if you have hear about this.

Myself I have 60khz 7kv 10ma DC pulser... and there is no way I can make my primary tank to resonate from it.  Probably psu a little underpowered?.. not sure..it does not couple... 60khz should couple with (1:1 or 1:3) 60khz or 180khz primary resonant frequencies but it just doesnt happen for now. Need better cap or different psu or slightly different component values.

Minde

I have seen them  ;D

In the Tesla world.. one should not connect nst center tap to ground because it makes the case of the nst a live potential which can shock the crap out of you if you happen to be touching it..

I think he is refering to the part that has been removed from the device and he is pointing in a general direction... but i could be wrong...

Minde,

are you using a variable cap?

Some of the tuning on this stuff is very narrow range..

How are you testing for resonance? If you over drive a coil the resonant peak will never show up on a scope it will just wash out..

Group: Tinkerer

tExB=qr
you can impact excite a circuit (including a coil with a little self-capacitance) into it's own resonant frequency

then the power supply caps and transformer are not a factor in the resonance of the circuit as thay are not connected when it rings

Good point G!

So the transformer is behind the spark gap so the primary wont see it, the primary only sees the primary coil & cap

Group: Administrator

Buy me some coffee
It's interesting that everyone is having trouble getting the primary to resonate, i have tried pulsing (50nS Pulse) @125v and the only way the primary does and the only time i get anything is when i drive it at the resonant frequency not below and even then i dont get a huge amplitude sine wave, probably because the power level of the 50nS pulse is small.
So far i had blamed my caps as being no good, but now i am not so sure about this.

I think my next move is maybe to build a 1kv or 2kv psu that can pulse upto 250khz, at least with this i can scan and see which works.

I wonder if it's possible to use a high voltage transistor in an oscillator circuit that uses the coil and cap to set the resonant frequency, a bu2508af is good for 1500 i think

The problem is - my primary tank LC has natural resonant freq of some 150khz when I tested with signal genny. So my psu will not couple with it. I either have to reduce psu frequency (its drven by 2 555 timers so I will look at that) or readjust primary cap or inductor in order to make it resonate @ 180khz. I might just spread L1 windings a bit since cap replacement is not an option to my pocket . The only largest adjustable caps I have are 1nf or less .. and here we work with .1uF range caps so adjustability is out of the question. Inductor is cheap and easy. I will try that and see how it goes.

Now when it comes to a charging quater wave length coil - for 180khz is has to have some 3500 feet long wire - thats 2.2 pounds awg 27 or 7 pounds of awg 22 wire. Sounds big...

Minde

Looks like everybody here got the same problem as I'm having. Here is schema that I found http://users.tkk.fi/jwagner/tesla/SSTC/selfreso-sstc-demo.htm, it just an idea. I'm thinking to use 555 timer and MOSFET driver (should get it soon). On which side of spark gap better to use mosfet - ground or HV side?

@Peterae - 125v wont work as far as i know . I think 3kv - 7kv is the way to go

@mlurye - iv never seen a mosfet drive a spark gap..

@minde4000 - get some $15 5-200pf wide spacing variable caps on ebay and submerge them in some transformer oil or make some variable inductors but the cap is the way to go..

@DS

When it comes to caps I have these:    http://www.overunityresearch.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=29.0;attach=344

They are huge in size and small in capacistance .. too small for this setup I think.. unless use large inductors to stay in khz or one wants to go into mhz range.. but then how to rectify those mhz signals?

Minde

Little observation I made.
If lamp is placed between ground and lowest end of secondary coil (opposite one with cap) 12V lamp is steadily lighted (depends on gap size on primary side)

@minde4000

I love parts from the motherland  8)

You have a 1000pf, 250pf, 100pf ? am i close?

Well if the primary was around 3uh and had a 0.2uf cap on it the frequency would be around    205.468 kHz

If you added the 1000pf unit at +5pf the frequency would be 205.466 kHz and at +1000pf the frequency would be 204.956 kHz

So your tune range would be about 510hz

The lower the primary inductance the more effect it will have on tuning

Some tuning is better than no tuning!

Tuning.. If you get a stack of 1000pf (.001uf) caps, every time you run out of range on your variable cap just add one of the 1000pf caps and turn your variable back to zero and start again till you get to where you want to be

« Last Edit: 2010-02-11, 04:34:46 by darkspeed »

@mlurye - Good! Thats your Amperage biased end of the system..

50-1000pf 10kv     -     20-350pf 10kv      -     5-50pf 25kv

Well if you take 205khz and have a tunning "window" of only 540hz - its only 0.25% of frequency used - this would mean that the rest of your system must be originaly built-tuned to 99.75%  :P
Not too practical..

Like you said inductor should be of a lower inductance for cap to be more effective and gain larger tunning "window" but this means higher frequency. Also not all of the cap types will tolarete higher frequencies withouts getting hot and lossy.

Your suggested cap stack probably the way to go.

Minde

Il save you a lot of trouble... dont tune anything until you have all the coils in position and firmly mounted.

Just putting coils in proximity of each other will change the resonant frequency of all the tanks..

I had to learn that one the hard way..  :P

By the way I use these and have never killed one.. try a number of the 942C20S1K-F in a string to get the voltage/uf you are looking for.

Your other option is to use a roller inductor in line, you can turn them like a variable capacitor.

Group: Ambassador

DarkSpeed

>"Your other option is to use a roller inductor in line, you can turn them like a variable capacitor."
--------------------------
Very Cool..........,Very

Chet

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-05-05, 18:31:59