PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-05-05, 16:46:54
News: Check out the Benches; a place for people to moderate their own thread and document their builds and data.
If you would like your own Bench, please PM an Admin.
Most Benches are visible only to members.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Don Smith's Briefcase Device  (Read 169498 times)

Group: Administrator

Buy me some coffee
Surely if we start using a variable inductor inline we are going to start loosing efficiency as there will be resonant energy dissipated away from the secondary coil that we are trying to transfer to.

A cool device non the less  ;)

Don provided the best way to tune, by pulling the primary position in and out, my secondarys are pretty closely tuned using the cap values that don specified, and even the untuned secondary that should have a much high resonant frequency sings when i tune my primary is resonant.

The problem we are having is driving the primary at a great enough amplitude to get power transfer, we either need a better way to get that primary singing or find a center tapped NST like he used

Group: Tinkerer

tExB=qr
Good point G!

So the transformer is behind the spark gap so the primary wont see it, the primary only sees the primary coil & cap

and the hammer that strikes it!

You don't strike a Liberty Bell with a tack hammer and you don't strike a sleigh bell bell with a sledge hammer.

tExB=qr
Hi Peter,

Honestly I think if you over drive it you will kill it..

Think of it this way

The nst, gap,cap,and primary are just the exciter, they are not the source of power, they create the required modulation.

The second coil ( which i think is not shown ) has a stout ground wire and between the ground wire and the coil is a one-way device.

The primary excites the second coil and every time that resonant charge moves to one end of the second coil additional evergy is sucked in through the stout ground.

( or depending on how you look at it, energy is pumped down to ground drawing in additional energy from the surrounding enviroment )

This additional energy is  loosley resonatly coupled to the third ( pair ) of coils one biased for voltage and one biased for amperage

The reason i dont think you can put over 5kv on the primary is the top of the grounded second coil will hit many many kv like a tesla secondary

Its a Tesla Magnifier Transmitter and Tesla Magnifier Receiver all in one axis

This is all my best guess but it is the direction i am moving

tExB=qr
It's interesting that everyone is having trouble getting the primary to resonate, i have tried pulsing (50nS Pulse) @125v and the only way the primary does and the only time i get anything is when i drive it at the resonant frequency not below and even then i dont get a huge amplitude sine wave, probably because the power level of the 50nS pulse is small.
So far i had blamed my caps as being no good, but now i am not so sure about this.

I think my next move is maybe to build a 1kv or 2kv psu that can pulse upto 250khz, at least with this i can scan and see which works.

I wonder if it's possible to use a high voltage transistor in an oscillator circuit that uses the coil and cap to set the resonant frequency, a bu2508af is good for 1500 i think

Impact excitation rate may or may not coincide with the resonant frequency of the primary.

If taking the "the power supply is separate" approach, then you want a large reservoir cap to keep the voltage high during the pulse and a fast switch.  If your switching device can not handle the voltage , then place them in series.  You can review spark gap transmitters for some related details, but this is a little different.

Also, once again: no shock wave = no curious effect

tExB=qr
http://www.capturedlightning.org/hot-streamer/TeslaCoils/Misc/PracticalMagnifierConstructionPrinciples.pdf

one page 9 you will see this:

The driver is composed of the primary and secondary coils. This is not a
resonant system!
This is not a Tesla coil. This is a low impedance, tightly
coupled, oscillation transformer, fully obeying simple transformer action
whose output frequency is determined by the primary tune and secondary
frequency splitting. Nothing is resonating here as quarter of half wave line!

tExB=qr
I posted this a long time ago on OU:

"Resonance" is only a means to obtain very high voltage.  (I understand now that this is not entirely true, but suffices to get the point across.)

TFC Books has a book that details a lengthy interview between Tesla and his Attorneys:
http://www.tfcbooks.com/tesla/nt_on_ac.htm

On page 100 of that book Tesla states the following:

There are two ways in which you can operate if you have a reciever of that kind.  (Tesla is refering to his system depicted in patent 645,576) One is by linking, closely, your working circuit with the primary excited circuit.  The other is by linking it loosely, and then working up the pressure by resonance.  You will find that you can do much better, if you have such a device, to produce the necessary pressure by turns, than by resonant rise, because if you want to excite it by resonance you have to link only a few lines; start with a very low electromotive force and work it up.  But, if you have such a device as I have described, you can obtain any pressure you like by a few secondary turns.  I have invented such an instrument and have demonstrated its efficacy.

So, just like Richard Hull found out in his own experiments, resonant rise will only get you so far.  It's just a means to an end, and not necessarily the best means.

Group: Guest
Resonance is many things: power amplification, current 90 degree seperation from voltage wich could be exploited into non reflective power transfer, stading wave creation..... zero point and antinode... a way to minimize losses of energy routing... and etc

Its all really good and all really a must ... 

Funny approach there Grumpy...   

Now we are getting somewhere  ;D

"Resonance" is the means to get all available energy at that time in sync and crammed to one end of a coil allowing additional energy to be sucked in to fill the  "energy vacuum " at the other end a-la node / antinode..

"Nature abhors a vacuum" - but check valves love one! dont let what you have earned escape  ;)

tExB=qr
What resonance "is", is just as important as what resonance "isn't".

Resonance is a means to an end, but it is not the Holy Grail of OU.

The means to get the additional energy is the shockwave interacting with another field in the vacinity of a collector.

Group: Ambassador

The Grump said,
"The means to get the additional energy is the shockwave interacting with another field in the vacinity of a collector".

Somebody that already knows that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKPrGxB1Kzc

Chet

tExB=qr
too bad I can't see youtube stuff...  :(

Buy me some coffee
It's a video of a pistol shrimp firing it's claw

It was a vido on the "Pistol shrimp" when it snaps its claw it creates a shockwave that disables its prey

JINX! I think we were typing that at the same time...

tExB=qr
Oh yeah!  Saw that one.  I recall sonoluminsence associated with that in some way.

The more I play with this the more interesting it becomes.

Gives me a welcome break from kicking my own ass with big magnets  ;D

Increasing the diameter of an inductor does some interesting things.... Could a flat wide version of this be the TPU??

looking at the coil from the ground end it is wound clockwise..... it follows electron spin - one way volts one way amps
« Last Edit: 2010-02-12, 06:38:51 by darkspeed »

tExB=qr
looking at the coil from the ground end it is wound clockwise..... it follows electron spin - one way volts one way amps

counter-clockwise looking down

Grumpy, do you have any input on Dons component between L2 and ground.

He called it by three names " Ground on-off switch " " Voltage Shunt " " Radio frequency variable capacitor "

I think it is one of the means of keeping the energy from flowing in and then flowing back out = 0

At first I thought it may be a high amp diode..

If its a variable capacitor is he using the fact it will conduct when the charge crosses zero?

Any ideas?

tExB=qr
post the circuit

page 104 of the resonance energy methods book list this device as a varister (and has 480v @ 60 amps next to it).

EDIT:

in this diagram: http://www.overunityresearch.com/index.php?topic=179.msg1656#msg1656

Don shows a variable capacitor between the inductor (L2?) and ground.  MAybe it is really across the inductor to tune the resonant frequency.  Tesla performed several test using this sort of approach and found it detrimental to the desired effect.

How can the coil be "reactive" when there is almost no electron flow at all?  Anyone thinking an impact excited coil is explained by simple LC resonance should take another look.

« Last Edit: 2010-02-12, 19:32:14 by Grumpy »

Grumpy notice the directional arrow just above the variable capacitor..

I have some more diagrams i will get them loaded..

it is like an energy check valve

In a tesla system the top load capacitor on the secondary is virtually across the secondary because the base of the secondary is coupled to ground and the top of the top load capacitor is virtually coupled to ground..

specifically negative grounding, ie your grounding area has a surplus of electrons to come up through the check valve
« Last Edit: 2010-02-12, 21:10:42 by darkspeed »

I think i have come to the conclusion that a classic rotary spark gap can drive the primary.
This solves a lot of confusion with the nst.
Just pulse the tank from the nst through the rotary.
The tank will ring at its RF

This is if I can get the arc short enough and to happen at a preferable time

NST > ROTARY > TANK

Did anybody try to play with Casimir Effect demonstrated by Don in "Don Smith Resonant Energy Devices Video"?
I think 2 metal plates and dielectric between is missing component in Don's desktop device.

I had it like tesla primary with gap in serial and I get a nice jolt with nice ringdown but only 50 firings per second. Resonance will never be sustained. Only individual bursts of power.  I have posted scope shots on my bench of these "individual" ringdown waves.  This method should work as energy amplifier too however don smith resonance was a little different - it was sustained.

We might have to tune tank to nst frq. BTW I already tied that with my 7000VDC 10ma pulser with variable freq 45khz-75khz. Cannot get sustained resonance. Little psu spikes on scope but almost no response from LC.  Appears like psu amp output is way to weak for my tank electrical properties or inductor too lossy for my psu or cap too large... not sure yet.

Minde

There may be some load limit.. i.e. you have to leave enough energy in the tank for it to keep going

cant light a fire in a strong wind

but a strong wind will fuel a fire

Inside the Neon Dimmer

Buy me some coffee

Inside the Neon Dimmer

Is this the actual dimmer don used ?

Just an idea, I wonder if someone in the US would give Ventex a ring and try and squeeze them for the Technical info on the NST maybe a Schematic and info on the transformer turns ect, maybe i could make some pcb's up and we could then build the NST from scratch.

Peter

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-05-05, 16:46:54