PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-05-17, 16:53:08
News: Registration with the OUR forum is by admin approval.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: Don Smith's Briefcase Device  (Read 169646 times)
Group: Guest

It is the same model he used " Pass & Seymour Legrand "3A / 360 VA Neon Max. model 90360

These models came with a number of different faceplates.

This is a Neon specific dimmer.

If you think it is worth it I can spec out the parts in it.

About the NST.. I did some more digging and found out that when the ground fault requirement came out, the tesla coil group figured out how to modify a 'non potted' electronic nst by removing its ground fault protection and adding a stud through the case connected to the coils center tap. All electronic nst's have a center tap but there is a ground fault protection circuit attached to it.

@Peterae

I have not been able to find the exact part number on that nst he used with the dimmer / inverter..

Do you know what it is?

Group: Administrator

Buy me some coffee
Hi ds

Sorry i forgot i have never heard anyone mention the exact model number which would help LOL

I have just gone over the 2 HQ vids i have and it is difficult to tell exactly, it looks like NPS 12D-4030 it's 120V 0.8 AMP 4KV 30MA

I can definitely see the 12D- but the 4030 is slightly blurred so not 100% but i guess that number does make sense 4kv @30ma.

It's definitely a 4 digit code.

Hi Peterae,

The Bertonee, NPS - 12D8 is a 12vdc model that Don used in some of his devices, but not the suitcase model.

The suitcase model used a 120vac version but i have not been able to find the part number, and there is the possibility he modofied it to have a center tap rather than a ground fault circuit

Group: Tinkerer

tExB=qr
Grumpy notice the directional arrow just above the variable capacitor..

I have some more diagrams i will get them loaded..

it is like an energy check valve

In a tesla system the top load capacitor on the secondary is virtually across the secondary because the base of the secondary is coupled to ground and the top of the top load capacitor is virtually coupled to ground..

specifically negative grounding, ie your grounding area has a surplus of electrons to come up through the check valve

I think the variable cap could be across the secondary and give the same results.  You don't have to pull electrons from the ground (earth), they are all around if you can convert them - pull them into reality, so-to-speak.

The Tesla system also has a reciever to be complete.  The top terminal is coupled to this reciever (which most people neglect to build).  Connect the transmitter and reciever directly without the top load and the ground and it will work.  I think Meyl pointed this out in his book.

Hmm - I don't see Don's reciver.  Also, he talks of converting the energy but not of converting it back to conventional current.

In regards tot the DS2.jpg page, the number of electrons does not determine voltage.   I find it very curious that Don never mentions any of the curious things that effect these systems: time of day, longitude position, solar flares, etc. (I suspect barometric pressure may also effect things).

In short, I think Don was a good BS'er.   If you want a Tesla Magnifier, just build one.

Group: Ambassador

DarkSpeed

I don't know if you followed user"bolt"'s contribution at O.U.
Bolt: http://www.overunity.com/index.php?topic=7679.msg191884#msg191884
"Use ONLY air coils. NEVER put anything inside and this will just dampen the ambient electron energy. You need to get HT supply into RF domain. > 50Khz better 1 meg or higher.

No more time for speculation and arguing about this if you do it right you get extreme OU. The finer details to be worked out on the bench for precise coil dimensions but if you stick to the tesla /don smith teachings you can light up 1 or 50 light bulbs with really simple systems."

"RE is RF as energized field excites local electrons in air, ground, space and returns magnetic flux."

"As Don Smith says "the electricity you pay for is simply a signature copy from the generating plant to move your electrons in your house! They did NOT travel from the power plant." Please remember this because electrons are everywhere already you only have to learn how to move them using volts and when they return to natural place current will flow as an AFTER effect IF required for free. Volts are Joules and they become watts later if a load is applied which allows electrons to flow back to the air or ground or wherever they came from."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqiYDxMsayw
He shared some interesting observations in that thread.

Chet

[thanks "Wings" for the reminder]

tExB=qr
When you strike a tuning fork on a hard surface, or expose it to sound waves of it's fundamental freq (or harmonic), momentum is transferred to the fork.

How does an sudden impulse actually excite a coil into vibration?  What's really going on around the coil?

In regards tot the DS2.jpg page, the number of electrons does not determine voltage.   I find it very curious that Don never mentions any of the curious things that effect these systems: time of day, longitude position, solar flares, etc. (I suspect barometric pressure may also effect things).

In short, I think Don was a good BS'er.   If you want a Tesla Magnifier, just build one.

Well iv gone out on a limb here and decided for the moment to believe that he did find some effect.
I think a lot of people find a strange and sometimes useful effects and then have to figure out a way to explain the results.
No one has the balls to just say " I have no freaking idea how it works " because then they could not claim ownership of it.

When i set out to replicate something i never have in mind that i will get it work.. but i am always excited about the other things i may find along the way..

tExB=qr

Well iv gone out on a limb here and decided for the moment to believe that he did find some effect.
I think a lot of people find a strange and sometimes useful effects and then have to figure out a way to explain the results.
No one has the balls to just say " I have no freaking idea how it works " because then they could not claim ownership of it.

When i set out to replicate something i never have in mind that i will get it work.. but i am always excited about the other things i may find along the way..

There are several others that probably did find some effect, such as Tesla, Grey, Moray, Dollard, SM, and Hooper.

EDIT:

DS - are you just trying to understand what Don was saying or are you looking for a real energy source?

EDIT2:

I can not help but wonder who sparked Don along this path.  His article "Ultimate Energy Sources" brings up several good and interesting topics:  magnetic waves, action at a distance, catalyst-collector-pump, etc.
« Last Edit: 2010-02-15, 21:22:46 by Grumpy »

Im ultimately trying to understand what Don left out of the device he displayed.

And from there im looking for a real energy source.

He seemed like he knew his stuff but maybe his mind was starting to slip a little tword the end there.

All these people are pre- internet and i would have to assume that a lot of great ideas and concepts fell through the cracks..

I would also have to assume a lot of these inventors were not the originators of some of the concepts the claim as their own.

tExB=qr
Im ultimately trying to understand what Don left out of the device he displayed.

And from there im looking for a real energy source.

He seemed like he knew his stuff but maybe his mind was starting to slip a little tword the end there.

All these people are pre- internet and i would have to assume that a lot of great ideas and concepts fell through the cracks..

I would also have to assume a lot of these inventors were not the originators of some of the concepts the claim as their own.

After reading more of Don's articles, I have the impression that he was trying to explain something that he was told "worked", but he himself did not know exactly "how" it works.  I can relate to that.  I recall a conversation with an Engineer, many years ago, in which he explained that sometimes you have to base the validity of things on "blind faith".

If you compare all of the energy devices that are based on Tesla's work, they have some common features.  Impulse excitation, high voltage, high impedance, mass proportional to output in some way, energy conversion, and wierd inteactions with the universe.

Stumble enough in the dark and you will eventually fall in the right hole  ;D

Watch the part about the ground at 5:12 ;D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ36EtABLAk[/youtube]

« Last Edit: 2010-02-15, 23:52:42 by darkspeed »

tExB=qr
Earth is a good insulator and good conductor of dipole currents - like displacement current.

I wouldn't give ground too much credit in the scheme of things.   The TPU wasn't grounded at all.

I agree, ground is not required, but in the spirit of covering all your bases until you know exactly what you are doing, i think it cant hurt..

Group: Ambassador

Today these Fellows said that they will be releasing A refined video very soon
Describing their "Success".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLI_erukoJ0

Chet

tExB=qr

I agree, ground is not required, but in the spirit of covering all your bases until you know exactly what you are doing, i think it cant hurt..

A source creates it's own ground reference when the dipole separates.  Like a battery, capacitor, or electret.

Have you noticed that there are two schools of thought? Resonant and non-resonant.

True! but dont you think ground potential even virtual ground potential is a function of available dissipation ( sink )

i.e. energized neon to ball bearing in space - weak glow but energized neon to engine block in space - strong glow

I think we perfect it connected to ground then deduce the optimum parameters for an ungrounded system.

Maybe there is some resonant function to make a virtual ground work as well as a 8' copper pipe in the ground. ;D

tExB=qr

True! but dont you think ground potential even virtual ground potential is a function of available dissipation ( sink )

i.e. energized neon to ball bearing in space - weak glow but energized neon to engine block in space - strong glow

I think we perfect it connected to ground then deduce the optimum parameters for an ungrounded system.

Maybe there is some resonant function to make a virtual ground work as well as a 8' copper pipe in the ground. ;D

I would expect a dipole current to split evenly into pos and neg charges, hence ground is just an inherent factor

After trying a number of electronic nst's in this configuration with a high voltage probe connected to the scope, im really surprised how much the frequency jumps around..

This is not a good thing if it is driving a tuned tank  ???

Maybe its time to back up and try a big triode

Tried a few more types tonight and I can get 70khz through a full bridge but the wave form and frequency drift are for crap.

Most of them if you measure across two cycles you get roughly 35khz but the first cycle will be around 60khz and the second cycle will be around 80khz.

There is also a nasty 60hz cycle mixed in.

The neon specific dimmer makes almost no difference in the output of the electronic nst.

The spark gap is very important! Without it the nst will shut down as it sees a short condition.

I dont see how this is capable of driving a tuned system.

If you used the nst to charge a capacitor and then used a triode to create a stable 70khz then I think it should work much better.

Maybe there is something like this hidden in the briefcase.

« Last Edit: 2010-02-20, 05:52:42 by darkspeed »

Buy me some coffee
Don really seems to have given us a crap device to replicate LOL, we are all having the same trouble driving the primary.
I dont think these spark aressters are even capable of consistent sparking.

Hi Peterae,

You are correct about the spark arrestors.

The nst is not stable on its own and the arrestors make it worse.

I think my next step may be a rewound flyback driven from a good signal generator

Something like 70khz at 2-4kv

Buy me some coffee
Seems like a good plan, i keep meaning to dig out my old Line transformer psu i built years ago for Lifter experiments and run that at low volts and see how it performs.

I can do it this way and it will work and it will resonate at the correct frequency but I have no way of controlling what phase the L2 is in when the spark gap in the L1 fires.

If they are not specifically in phase with each other there is a lot of wasted power and the pulse is not truly additive.

Looks like a spark gap negates the required phase control and the L1 needs to be truly driven at a frequency and a consistant phase

Im beginning to think that Dons parts on his exposed device were symbolic rather than exact components..

It may have been his way of heading us in the right direction, while others were stuck in the mud building it exactly as shown.

The other possibility is that his nst functioned much differently than modern nsts. - but i kind of doubt it.

I need to get my hands on a vintage 12vdc nst and perform all the same tests i did on the 120v nst

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-05-17, 16:53:08