PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-05-02, 23:43:39
News: Registration with the OUR forum is by admin approval.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 35
Author Topic: OUR, window on the world.  (Read 262521 times)
Group: Guest
Well it seems the tobacco plants are doing ok even though they had a rough start and got moved, took a while to sun harden them as it is the middle of summer here. I can see that the two in the smaller pots are stunted, of course. Even the larger pots are not big enough I need 20 Large pots or I need to make a large raised bed or two. Flowers and seeds are coming, I've chosen two plants that resisted the bugs best and got good bushy growth but not too tall for the amount of leaf on them and will collect seeds from them, I let one early bloomer go to seed just in case there is a bad storm and they all get damaged, that way I'll get some seeds soon I hope. Later for the seeds from the better plants. One plant in particular was really picked on by the grubs, it must be susceptible to bugs and so no seeds from it. The plants themselves (the better ones) are about 5 1/2 feet tall not including the pot. Soon one of the big trees will be cut down and so more sun for the garden. It's Virginia type. First time growing tobacco. I've learned some tricks for growing it here, next time will be better. I'll get a few ounces if I can ferment it properly, testing now and making a fermenting chamber and stuff. Time to organize a veggie plot soon.

Oh I found out by deduction then asking the other neighbor that next door on one side lives a Hooker, 3 to 5 clients per day, every week day. lol. It is legal here. So she is a good neighbor, I hardly ever see her and she is quiet. All the other neighbors seem ok, on the other side next door wants to buy all my stuff. Just down the road is a Bikie haunt/business and across the road is all businesses, a huge boarding house just down the lane that used to be a Nunnery, so some down and outers there. I fit in and go largely unnoticed.  Just the way I like it.

And I've got a set of almost hidden roms under the house which used to be a terrarium or aquarium room or something, it has a sink, exhaust fan and lots of power points ect. Might be useful.  ;)

Group: Ambassador

FH
you seem to have done a very good thing for your quality of life by relocating , it is good to read.
on another note I did not know that "lady's of the night " were a legal and thriving business down under ?

learn something everyday [like I recently learned that "Buddy" is not always a good term to use when speaking with a fellow from Down under  :-[ ]

@Graham
yes a bit quiet ,"not a creature was stirring Not even a mouse "
The calm before the storm IMO.....

funny how you celebrate the shortest Day of the year ,I have always hated its approach ,but Now when I really think about it I always get a boost when we're over that Hump and the days grow longer .

O0

Hey Chet it's ok to call people buddy here I think, some do, usually we call each other "mate" which is a bit weird to most other peoples overseas, buddy can be annoying though if the person has a strong accent (not Australian) lol.

Well insurance paid out and I got me another car, cheap too. Insurance was a bit more expensive for a bit less money to be paid out but I don't expect to need it unless some nutter runs into me.  :D This car is the same year and make that I had previously but it's a better model=more air bags  O0 however it has 70 000 more k's on the clock, it has had a lot of new bushes put into the suspension and stuff and drives almost as well as the other one. Not as much vision out the back because of the silly thing on the bootlid, old one didn't have that, only good it does is hold a light. It's maroon color not red so hopefully it won't trigger the cops to pull me over, white cars are less likely to get the police attention for no reason. No matter plenty of licence points, and a bit of money left over which I'll use to pay any fine I might get. Almost all sorted and thinking of setting up an upstairs workbench and finishing a sidelined electronics project or two. I gotta go get my big green bench, it weighs heaps too. not sure how i will pull that one off, it's my bench so I must get it here.

I had to cut the wires to the 7 inch rear view monitor to get it out of the wreck fast so that will take some working out to refit. Some other small things I can improve. I guess I better check the brakes and stuff under the car properly, I'll see if I can get it on a hoist at a business, I know a guy that might be able to arrange it at a car detailing place for free. I better put the fire extinguisher in there too. Never know when you can save a damsel from a fire.

P.S. It has a CD/Radio and Cassette tape player all in the one unit, as a standard item. Never seen one of those before. It works too. I have Cassettes hahaha they are very old and sound horrible, I guess I should clean the heads in the tape player, somehow, so I can use it with new tapes.

Oh Chet, and the "Night Ladies" have to keep to certain standards and pay tax too I guess, they can work from home or a "red light house" but no street stuff is legal, how do they keep track of the transactions, a lot of cash in hand work I would guess, but some would need to be declared as income or they would get busted by the law. Tax em double i say they earn enough money. I wonder if she needs her gutters cleaned.  :-\ I don't think they've outlawed bartering yet.

This time of year here is the longest days, we have a hot, humid 40 degree Christmas time here. It's warming up and the storms are getting wilder. Seafood, Salad and cold cuts for lunch here.
« Last Edit: 2015-12-17, 10:03:11 by Farmhand »

Is there anyone with knowledge of tobacco cutters ? I am considering buying these two antique tobacco cutters and restoring them to working condition so
 I can use one maybe. These two look as though they might be still in almost working condition. Any advice ?
I was considering using a paper guillotine but I think a chisel type cutting edge is required.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Antique-2-Tobacco-Cutters-/231786549995?

An expensive one shows that a piece of wood may be used to give the cutting blade a shaving surface kinda thing. I've never seen or used one in person.
 Looks like this one has almost all of it's sharpening adjustment left, like a new blade.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/291306538058?euid=c1ac4dbf1a16404991e214c1c6fe95db&aid=222007&meid=61847a4522df4bf9a15086534f4c711f&cp=1&_trksid=p11011.c100176.m3016&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20140424094026&meid=61847a4522df4bf9a15086534f4c711f&pid=100176&rk=3&rkt=7&sd=331728536265

WOW radical link length, sorry.

Group: Administrator

Buy me some coffee
Hi Farmhand

Most in the UK are using a new type to shred 0.8mm strands.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tobacco-Leaf-Shredder-0-8mm-Cut-Fine-Cutter-Slight-Defect-But-TESTED-Working-/181594645747?hash=item2a47e264f3:g:cUcAAOSwjVVVzgE4

You will be there all day with a guillotine.

Nice plants by the way  :)

Peter

They look pretty good I will try to get one of those, I'm guessing the leaves are fed in one by one or a few at once or something, never knew they existed. I usually use a blend of cheap dry fine shredded tobacco of any kind (dry means more product for the weight) and Log Cabin tobacco from a tin or box which is compressed and sliced tobacco. It comes in slivers folded in the tin and is slow burning, the compressed tobacco needs rubbing and I like it's flavor but it burns too slow hence the blend, the cheap stuff alone is not so good either. Cuts cost a bit. I really need a shredder as well as a slicer and I need to make a compressing device to get the correct size blocks for slicing. The compressed stuff can be stored for a year or so If I can produce enough, I'll grow Havana next then another different one and layer the leaves of different kinds together to blend by compression and slicing. Gets an even amount of each type and thoroughly mixes it when it's finally rubbed.

Hardly anyone smokes tobacco anymore. One of my vices.

Buy me some coffee
Hi Farmhand
Yes the leaves get fed in bit by bit without any stalk, they jam quiet easily if too much is fed in.

There are several places for the UK the leaves can be bought that are ready flue cured.
http://www.tobaccoleaf4u.com/shop/

we are not allowed to smoke shredded tobacco over here without incurring £175 kg duty payable to the UK duty police.
Tobacco leaves dont carry Duty only when it's been shredded.

My Granddad was a potato farmer in the UK and he grew his own years ago.

Peter

Yes I think the tobacco the tomato and the potato are all members of the nightshade family of plants, they all like to have the stems buried as they grow unlike many plants, when transplanting these plants the bottom leaves can be removed and the plant stalk buried deeper, which promotes even more root growth and gives the plants greater stability.

I'm not sure about the laws here, and I won't bother to try to find out too much, I would bet that it is much like home distilled alcohol which is actually subject to customs excise or some such tax, however the authorities simply do not enforce it, lot's of people do it and the homebrew shops sell all the equipment except the stills. They do sell still extra bits and replacement parts as well as spirit filtering set ups and so forth.

Which is sensible as the real problem is the meth amphetamine/pills, heroine and the criminals surrounding that supply. I have not heard of anyone being caught with acid trips since the early 90's. People on those are extremely weird as well but from memory not violent.

I'm suffering terribly last several days from over exertion again making me almost lame in the left leg, I think either my hip is going or my lower back is worse than they tell me. Getting better though. It's rough when all the pills do little to help, I've been sedated and tranquilized for days with opioids and diazepam but it only helps to lay me out. The scary thing is that because it is all prescription stuff I can drive with impunity even though I think it is madness to allow people like me to drive on those medicines. If I must drive I usually don't take anything and drive in the morning or just suffer until I'm finished. I'll do what I want though when I am restricted so much by physical problems I think I should be allowed to produce as much of my own stuff as I want. No one should have any right to dictate to me what I do at my own residence as long as I am not harming anyone or costing anyone else anything due to actual damages, not unlawful taxation.

They cannot get anything much out of me except jail time so I think they would just ignore me unless someone makes a complaint, then would have to do something. I think it's a customs thing with the alcohol and tobacco, no ATF here, thank the heavens.

I even considered asking the cop that came here to charge me over the accident to leave his firearm in his car, If I cannot have one then he should have no legal right to bring one into my house unless there is a reason, like if I was known to be violent, which I am not, I am against violence, but like anyone I am capable of it. But no sane person would do violence on a policeman over such trivial matters. I think it is quite rude of him to bring a firearm into my house without asking me permission first. I decided to ignore it. I think I went to school and played football with the officers brother he was indigenous, if he had been a white cop I would likely have asked him to leave the firearm in the car or we could do the interview out in the yard in the sun. I like the sunshine, but the cops like the aircon. haha

Couple more days I will be back to a not so bad condition.
Thanks for the info !

You can actually use crushed and steeped tomato leaves as an organic pesticide because nightshade plants have toxic leaves, when concentrated it works, and the grubs that did attack the tobacco looked really sick. It's a bit of a no no to feed tomato plants to goats or other ruminants.

Group: Moderator

Buy me a cigar
Dear all.

We spent yesterday, the 21 st celebrating the shortest day. Mmmm, lots of nice food.

Today saw us delving into the depths of the workshop to retrieve an engine I built in the year 2000 from 100 year old castings that had been recovered from a famous school in the Uk.

Playtime !!...... O0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6jlYVstcbo

Hot tube ignition with, a very makeshift gas/air mixer hence the flames!! I had originally gone for a carburettor and spark ignition, I must be getting old as I can't remember what I did with them !!   :D

All the best, Grum.

---------------------------
Nanny state ? Left at the gate !! :)

Group: Professor

Playtime !!...... O0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6jlYVstcbo
Hi Grum :)

What is this sputtering and why does it happen sporadically ?

Group: Ambassador

Grum
Very spooky fire breathing Beast you have there...

I love how you are rock solid [no jumping or shaking] as it Belches up Flames ....

most Mannly.... O0

That looks like fun Grum, it works, and looks as though it could do work with some more refinements. Well done !

Buy me a cigar
Thanks gentlemen.

Three more comments better than the response I got from the Model engineering forum I'm a member of !!

Chet, a lifetime spent with these beasts kinda makes you ready for anything! But that tube needs to be heated at a specific place so you can't flinch.

Verpies, I assume you're referring to the flames? Normally this engine would have a separate valve for the gaseous fuel but just as a " get go " I put a constant metered input to the the air tube, as a consequence no gas is used over the other 3 strokes and was being ignited by the heating torch.

Farmhand, here in the UK around the 1900's Town gas was made in nearly every place. There were literally 100's of manufacturers making built and kit form Gas engines. My Barker engine came to me as a collection of un machined parts in Iron, Gunmetal and Steel forgings which I machined up in my workshop.

These days we take electricity so for granted but that little beast was capable of providing 1 HP @ 400 RPM for as long as was required. I did mention to Chet that the USA was still making Gasoline powered washing machines into the 1950's, Maytag being one of them. Go kickstart the washer Abner!!  :)

Cheers Grum.

I'm assuming in the UK you actually call Gasoline "petrol" like we do in Australia, here gas is LPG "Liquefied petroleum Gas" and Gasoline is called "petrol", diesel is diesel. Saves any confusion because Gas is actually Gas when it comes out of the pressure vessel not liquid, and petrol is liquid fuel like diesel but petrol is actually gasoline I guess. No one says gasoline here.

So I am seeing you are using the LPG from the Cylinder to power the engine as well as to heat the tube.

Well done again anyway, hopefully you can find the carby and spark plug setup. A lot of industry here uses LPG in place of Acetylene, special mixers and nozzles are required from memory. And the flame is no quite as hot, but it seems to be much cleaner, and cheaper.

Maybe you could use a LPG-oxygen mixer from a cutting torch to really cause a bang in there. Run the torch to get a neutral flame then you have the correct mixture for complete combustion. Maybe you already did that anyway.

Buy me a cigar
Dear All.

Roo is 6 months old today, he's grown !!

He too would like to wish you all a very happy time.

Cheers Grum.

Group: Tinkerer

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL! Here was Christmas dawn

Lovely pictures Guys, Grum that dog looks really smart to me.  O0

Buy me a cigar
MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL! Here was Christmas dawn

Merry Christmas Jim.

I see that UFO has re appeared............ Is it a common occurrence ?

Cheers Grum.

Merry Christmas Jim.

I see that UFO has re appeared............ Is it a common occurrence ?

Cheers Grum.
Yeah seems to appear every morning around 6am

Buy me some coffee
That UFO is fusion powered, it's there to poke us in the face and remind us that there is unlimited energy around us, it's ironic that we spend years looking for free energy when we feel the radiation produced by the biggest free energy generator known to man and it's been there all through history laughing at us as we rub sticks together to make heat.

Buy me a cigar
That UFO is fusion powered, it's there to poke us in the face and remind us that there is unlimited energy around us, it's ironic that we spend years looking for free energy when we feel the radiation produced by the biggest free energy generator known to man and it's been there all through history laughing at us as we rub sticks together to make heat.

Dear Peter.

That made me chuckle!! It's usually obscured here.

Well........ It's my 12 th anniversary today, a near change in state from one form of energy to the next. I can vaguely remember the serious looks on the faces of my family, luck was on my side!

In reflective mood I was given the chance to welcome nine more grandchildren to this world, make many new friends and, most importantly get a second stab at life.

Just remember, stress IS a killer, so let's take it easy and hope 2016 is a little more peaceful both worldly and locally.

All the very best for the New year, cheers Grum.

Buy me some coffee
Hi Graham
Happy Anniversary may you have many more and a Happy New Year to you and your family and everyone else here  O0

I will set myself a target of Fusion this year and try to really go for it, i have been feeling the pieces coming together for a while but need to devote more time to the purpose, I'm fed up with rubbing sticks together  :)

Buy me a cigar
Hi Graham
Happy Anniversary may you have many more and a Happy New Year to you and your family and everyone else here  O0

I will set myself a target of Fusion this year and try to really go for it, i have been feeling the pieces coming together for a while but need to devote more time to the purpose, I'm fed up with rubbing sticks together  :)

Thanks Peter.

I have a good sense of humour having grown up through the " Goons " era and then Monty Python your  " rubbing sticks " made me think of Douglas Adams's classic line from " The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy "  !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs3pKS0pvZE

Go to 28 mins or just watch the whole thing.............. IMHO the BBC television rendition of the book was the best.

Cheers Grum.

Thanks Peter.

I have a good sense of humour having grown up through the " Goons " era and then Monty Python your  " rubbing sticks " made me think of Douglas Adams's classic line from " The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy "  !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs3pKS0pvZE

Go to 28 mins or just watch the whole thing.............. IMHO the BBC television rendition of the book was the best.

Cheers Grum.
Agreed,
I have that version on DVDs. loved the goons as well.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 35
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-05-02, 23:43:39