PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-05-19, 00:01:34
News: Check out the Benches; a place for people to moderate their own thread and document their builds and data.
If you would like your own Bench, please PM an Admin.
Most Benches are visible only to members.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Magnetic Energy  (Read 4560 times)

Group: Professor

Here is a paper that discusses magnetic energy around solenoidal coils and magnets, using Nagaoka's geometric factor familiar to those who have to calculate inductance.  This allows one to establish the total magnetic energy stored in the field divided into two parts, that within the solenoid and that outside.  In the case of a magnet it is the field outside that is of interest, and that allows a simple calculation for the mechanical energy available when a magnet pulls in a keeper.  Also included is a consideration of two closely coupled coils (bifilar wound) that are energised separately from different power supplies at different times.  The perhaps surprising result is that the first coil to be energized supplies more energy to the field than does the second coil.  Put simply the first coil's power supply delivers two pulses of energy while the second coil's power supply delivers only one pulse.  When the first coil is replaced by a PM you find that the PM itself delivers some energy to the field when the second coil is energized.  That indicates a flow of energy directly from the quantum spins that are responsible for the magnet's magnetism.  Unfortunately that energy gets clawed back when the (second) coil is de-energized, so it has never been considered as of any significance.  But IMO the fact that you can get energy flow to and from the quantum domain is vitally important.

I also include another paper written some time ago that deals with magnetic energy flows showing that there are two Poynting-like flow vectors, one of which is not considered in contemporary scientific texts.  Enjoy!

Smudge

Group: Elite

It's turtles all the way down
Thank you Smudge

Well written papers, I gave them a quick look, a detailed look to come.

i think your second paper could identify a process used in the Akula and other Russian reportedly FE units, that is if they are not faked in some way.

---------------------------
"Secrecy, secret societies and secret groups have always been repugnant to a free and open society"......John F Kennedy

Group: Guest
WOW!

Thanks a bunch Smudge.

I gave both a good read. I want to see these ideas show on my bench in the worst way.

Smudge,

Reviewing my chicken scratchings from previous experiments dealing with the effects of PM magnets on inductors and transformers - I've already seen empirical evidence of much contained in your papers.
Especially, the mention of multiple coils and power sources and the differences of coil vs. pm magnet fields. How many would accept that the magnetic reluctance of a pm aided coil would be different depending upon current direction in the solenoid?

What I'm having difficulty with is why the modeling of constant flux/shunt reluctance would have the (Ni)coil in series identical to the constant mmf/series reluctance model. Should (Ni)coil not be shown as being an external current source in parallel with the internal current source?

When you have some time I would like to be educated on why the depiction in 10b is as it is.

Thanks.

Group: Professor

Smudge,

Reviewing my chicken scratchings from previous experiments dealing with the effects of PM magnets on inductors and transformers - I've already seen empirical evidence of much contained in your papers.
Especially, the mention of multiple coils and power sources and the differences of coil vs. pm magnet fields. How many would accept that the magnetic reluctance of a pm aided coil would be different depending upon current direction in the solenoid?

What I'm having difficulty with is why the modeling of constant flux/shunt reluctance would have the (Ni)coil in series identical to the constant mmf/series reluctance model. Should (Ni)coil not be shown as being an external current source in parallel with the internal current source?

When you have some time I would like to be educated on why the depiction in 10b is as it is.

Thanks.

Hi WaveWatcher,

Sorry about the delay in replying, I have been checking on other groups and neglected this one.  Firstly let me say that the current in the coil creates an mmf, which in the magnetic circuit is a "magnetic voltage".  And this is correctly represented by a symbol for a voltage source and can be considered as a "magnetic battery" of mmf magnitude Ni.  It would be quite wrong to put this in parallel with a "magnetic current" (flux) source.  I think I have it in the right place for both magnetic circuits, but IMO the 10b version is incorrect and does not correctly model a PM.  I only included 10b because i had this argument on the Steorn forum where some guy objected to my PM model 10a and he put forward 10b instead.  So I included it in my paper so that I could knock it down.

FWIW until you get used to dealing with magnetic circuits in their own right, it can be very confusing because ones brain wants to always think electrically and then the two systems get muddled up and you think of coil current as magnetic current, which it isn't.  It took me a long time to get things into perspective.

I have posted another paper "Analysing Transformers in the Magnetic Domain" elsewhere but it deserves better circulation.  It is attached here.

Smudge
« Last Edit: 2014-07-06, 09:45:46 by Smudge »

IMHO one of the best sources written on magnetic  energy, in terms of trying to understand how it works , (and precesssion) is N. Turro's  Modern Molecular Photochemistry.  I found it invaluable.  In fact the GFT posits that  Newton' gravitational force equation  (per charge) is given by the equation
F/q = (-mu*B*cos theta)/qr. It finds that gravity is a manifestation of precession which is a consequence of magnetic energy.

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-05-19, 00:01:34