PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-05-05, 17:28:11
News: A feature is available which provides a place all members can chat, either publicly or privately.
There is also a "Shout" feature on each page. Only available to members.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37
Author Topic: Romerouk's Muller Replication  (Read 492396 times)

I'm most intrigued by RomeroUK's output waveform, and some of you might disagree with me, but I can see the typical magnet approach curvature in his waveform, than the sharp drop off that occurs around Top Dead Center (TDC), when the magnet is aligned with the coil, but than his waveform at TDC has the most unusual "flat line" that is also modulated by the rotor.   If I take out these flat areas than you can see his waveform resembles ours.

I'm not going to rest until I figure this out, it's bugging the heck out of me !    >:(

EM

Group: Administrator

It's not as complicated as it may seem...
This is my take on possibly explaining the "dead-time" in the wave form:

There are two possible ways of looking at what constitutes one cycle from the same rotor magnet; I believe most have been assuming incorrectly.

Option 1 illustrates how I believe most have assumed one cycle passes. However, it might be that option 2 is the correct one. The approach is negative, and departure positive = one cycle from the same rotor magnet. The "dead-time" then is simply the spacing between the rotor magnets.

---------------------------
"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." Frank Zappa

P99,

I like Option 2,  it's the less mysterious one,  on a bad day I'll pick that one,  but that typical curvature I highlighted is a tell tale sign of the approach of the magnet, so I want to rule this option out.

However, Option 1 has the long unusual flat spot at TDC which can't be (never seen it before up to now) and is very mysterious.

Here's the whole waveform compressed.    

So, Million Dollar Question:      What creates the flat spots?

EM

PS   What if the diodes somehow clip another set up downward and upward sings where those flat spots are?   We have to admit there are lots of diodes and FWBRs in his setup.
« Last Edit: 2011-06-25, 18:19:06 by EMdevices »

So, Million Dollar Question:      What creates the flat spots?

EM

PS   What if the diodes somehow clip another set up downward and upward sings where those flat spots should be?   We have to admit there are lots of diodes and FWBRs in his setup.

My money is on the spacing between rotor magnets. Romero et al have said that the spacing needs to be minimum 2x the width of the rotor magnets. In my books, that's a pretty solid explanation for the rapid and consecutive down-up cycle, then the dead-band due to the spacing, then the next cycle from the next rotor magnet.

What is the ratio between the rotor magnet diameter and the spacing between them on your rotor?

"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." Frank Zappa

Buy me some coffee
OK here we have it, Sorry EM i nicked your scope shot as it was the fastest thing i could grab  :)

I detached the periphery hall and moved into different positions and the results are as follows

So we have the red circle, this is where the rotor magnet is farthest away and starts it's approach(The rotor magnet is in between coils)

Black circle is dead center where the rotor magnet is directly over the coil being scoped
« Last Edit: 2011-06-25, 18:49:52 by Peterae »

my rotor has a ratio of  2.5 to 1,   i.e.   spacing between magnets is 2.5 times the diameter of a magnet.

The spacing appears to be a little over 2x for Romero's rotor.

OK Peter. Will be interesting to see.

Buy me some coffee
OOPS edited my post and theres been 2 since, please look back 2 posts to see the position firing.

The rotor magnets are 2cm in diameter and spaced about 4.5cm distance apart, so about 2.25 spacing ratio

So we have the red circle, this is where the rotor magnet is farthest away and starts it's approach(The rotor magnet is in between coils)

Black circle is dead center where the rotor magnet is directly over the coil being scoped

Thanks Peter.  O0

Buy me some coffee
The black circle may have needed to be a little higher, it was difficult to hold and there was also the hall on time, i forgot my camera again, each day i need to take it to work and bring home again, so maybe tomorrow night i will try to take some shots.

Buy me some coffee
Ah but hang on i could have connected the coil up to the scope the other way and had a totally different story, the pulse would have been positive  O0

Although i guess the shape would have been mirrored also, OK something i will try when i get my camera back here tomorrow

The polarity wouldn't make any difference anyway Peter. What we're looking for is "shape".

Buy me some coffee
OK Darren.

So wouldn't that flat area be as simple as working out which coil has the rotor in between while the periphery hall sensor if firing it's coils and pulling the rotor for a fraction of a second,, if so that flat area would only happen on one coil, so the hall fires the coil pair tugs at the rotor causing a prolonged period where one coil has the approaching rotor magnet on it's initial approach run and therefore prolongs this rotor magnet mid position.

Peter,

I thought you had posted the specs of your coils recently....but I can't find them now.  ???

re. your last post, do what you gotta do man to determine the answer. ;) Seems to me that flipping the scope probe around isn't going to make much difference though.

Buy me some coffee
No what i am saying is when the periphery driver coils are on, only 1 set of gen coils will have the magnet in approach mode, if when the periphery coils are switched on then we already know that the rotor will decelerate and therefore the coil set that has the rotor magnet approaching will see a prolonged time before the periphery drive coils switch off and allow the rotor to accelerate again, this i would expect would increase the length of the flat area, but it would only be visible on one gen coil set that is aligned such when the periphery coils fire.

Buy me some coffee

Group: Guest
First, there were some earlier comments about Romero's pics being flipped left to right. Is this the case for the much analyzed picture?

Second, I consider .99's suggestion to be correct. This is the hard part.... I'm still not backing down from my previously posted theory of operation. I don't see my theory and .99's description to be in conflict. I hope to clarify this. Words alone aren't going to work, in this case.

The question is: Where is this gap in Peterae's scope shots?

In any common generator there will be no flat spot on the waveform depicting the mid-point between poles.

So, the flat spot is still the most interesting thing to analyze. Is it not?

So, the flat spot is still the most interesting thing to analyze. Is it not?

Absolutely, I'm glad were in agreement WW.

Since the change of flux that created the voltage waveform can be obtained by integration, this indicates the flux through the coil reaches a maximum and than maintains it for a short duration longer before the flux begins to drop off.   This behavior could be due to a large magnet diameter relative to ferrite core diameter, and also very narrow gaps between the magnet and ferrite.

I think this is it guys.

EM

So, the gap between the ferrite and magnet is very important in creating those flat spots.

The dimensions of Romero's dynamo is as follows:

magnet diameter = 2.0 cm   (later he said 2.5)
ferrite diameter  = 0.6 cm

so I would say the gap between the magnet and ferrite should be less than about 0.5 cm, to create those flat spots.

EDIT:    I found the text where romero talks about the gap.  I was right.

Sorry, diameter is 25cm and distance from the rotor to the coils is about 3.5-4mm.

EM

PS   Now I feel much better and I can relax about these "flat spots".  Now the waveform looks quite normal to me, no longer "mysterious".   Only issue now is why the rotor modulation seems to be periodic in only 4 cycles or magnets, maybe that's the way it is warped or the magnets are displaced.
« Last Edit: 2011-06-26, 01:49:17 by EMdevices »

EM,

Yes, the flat spot is surely the time the rotor magnet's field takes to pass through the cross section of the magnetic connection between the top and bottom core.
(No, I'm not saying .99 is incorrect)

----------
If I understand you correctly then you should agree with me in saying the rotor magnet does not induce current into the coils directly.

Rather it causes the stator coils changing polar elongation of the field of the stator magnets to induce current into the coils.

-and-

Therefore, the net result of rotor drag due to movement of the rotor magnet relative to the stator coils, is zero.

?

« Last Edit: 2011-06-26, 14:46:24 by WaveWatcher »

Rather it causes the stator coils to induce current into the coils

You probably meant to say:   stator magnets induce current into the coils,   right?

I'm not sure if I want to say the rotor magnets don't induce current into the coils directly, the change in flux is what induces a voltage in a coil, and current will flow depending on the impedance provided.    In romero's dynamo, there is no current flow until the diodes in the FWBR conduct and than, in a quick burst, we get a pulse of current.   This current pulse is occurring in time and position when the ferrite is still quite a ways away from the magnet, so I can see the temptation to say the magnet is not doing it DIRECTLY, but it is the moving magnets that induce the voltage which drives the current when the impedance drops.  I just see the stator magnets as beneficial in biasing the ferries and adding more complexity for us  :)

Did you notice my edit above?   romero's gap is about 3.5 to 4 mm

EM

Yes, I did mean to say that and I just looked at your edit.

"the change in flux is what induces a voltage in a coil"

Sorry EM. I beleive that is the rule but it should be understood as ... the NET change in flux is what induces a voltage in a coil.

The reason why no current is induced into the coil by the rotor magnet is the fields of the rotor and stator magnet are centered on the coil. The NET change remains at or near zero even though the flux of both fields gain equally in density as they are being pressed together.

What is the flux density in the exact middle between opposing and equal magnetic poles forced into physical or near contact with each other?
What is it as the opposing poles are approaching each other?

The answer to both questions is 'it is immaterial because the net is zero'.

I see how you think, yes I agree with the flux compression, when they are opposing each other at max there is really no NET change.  Yes it's that NET change of flux that induces a voltage.

On a different note:    Peter you have some testing to do.    ;D

This is a quote from romerouk in that pdf file:

I have spent about one month to do all this testings and adjustments. Small things can make a huge
difference, like my extra diodes on top of the rectifier.The gap from the rotor to the coil I had it
increased and decreased hundreds of times to get it right

:)

EM

EM,

I've looked at the wave form some more, and I agree with your assertion of where TDC is, and where the approach is, especially in regards to your own scope shot.

I've labeled Romero's scope shot with some food for thought and a bit of a theory as to what may be causing the flat spot, or as I believe it may be, simply a "delay" in the negative excursion.

First off, the approach does not look right either. There is a sharp transition there where it should be smooth. It appears to me that the coil is generating as expected with a gradual slope as the magnet approaches, but rather than ramping up swiftly in an upward curve, the trace suddenly jumps upward linearly. Something is clearly "adding" to that part of the trace.

Second, there is no way the negative excursion should occur in such a delayed manner. Yours and Peter's scope traces affirm that. We know that the core flux has to be changing polarization as the magnet passes TDC. So the only way the trace can go flat from TDC onward, is if the coil output is briefly canceled by adding it to a negative counterpart, such as from another coil set, or from a 3rd coil wound on the same coil pair just for this purpose. The eventual negative excursion that does appear would then be due to an inductive kickback response when the coil currents suddenly stop canceling.

I am placing this post here since it also has my post regarding cascading generator coils and I will refer guys here from OU.

About the sine wave, I think once @peterae has had an opportunity to try the three tests I mentioned, this should provide you with more clues. Actually I am thinking that one of them will fall smack onto this waveform.

@All

My previous post on this thread will provide some means to try and fight the Lenz while using it to move the wheel .
http://www.overunityresearch.com/index.php?topic=827.msg15129#msg15129

Here are some other observations I have on this wheel for guys looking to push it "further".

Point #1:

If you can sprint fast at 30 mph without transporting any added weight, compared to if with a good sized weight you can only run at 15 mph, then just learn how to run extremely well at 15 mph, because sprinting produces no work.

What I mean is simple.

Once you know the best or strongest or more motive generating drive coil orientations (I cover some of that below), ultimately, there is no point to finally adjust your hall sensors for the wheel to turn at maximum rpm with no load. Attaining maximum rpm means attaining minimum torque.

Let's say you adjust your sensor positions for maximum rpm at no load like everyone is doing to set their devices. When load is applied, the rpm / drag ratio will stabilize and eventually, because of the sensor fixed positions that cannot compensate for the lag in time between sensor activation to drive coil and rotor swing, there results a major shift in the momentum that cannot be overcome. So, instead, you should try to position your sensors for a much lower rpm at no load. When you load the output, the reduction or effect of the load will again want to reduce the rpm "to where it already is", but now the sensors are well positioned to work at that lower rpm. Now when you apply a load, the rpm should not change that much because the no load rpm it is already at the rpm it should be under load to begin with. Sounds complicated, maybe, but in a nutshell, if you load the output, the wheel will want to stop and while it wants to stop you adjust your sensors to run steady at that slower rpm.

But don't expect to have the exact same effect as Romeros higher rpm at no load and no rpm change under load since in Videos 1 and 2 his dc output rail was already connected to a battery, the rotor never saw coil drag since when the load was applied, the generator coils where not even solicited. He says it was connected through a special diode to feed the battery but it was not. The wires are going right from the rail to the battery.

Point #2

OK, I will try to explain to you one thing that no one really understands or has not clearly shown and which is a key aspect of any drive coil pair to achieve maximum motive strength and not speed and that is, what is the real effect on the rotor of two drive coils in series that receive a pulse. This is very easy for anyone with a wheel to check. I know in advance what is happening but someone needs to test this to show guys the cold hard facts.

To test this, just use one drive coil (not a pair) with everything else disconnected. Position your sensor to achieve and measure maximum rpm on the rotor wit that one drive coil. Now switch the wires on that one coil and see if rpm changes and if you reposition the sensors to any higher rpm level. Now add a second drive coil in series with the one mounted drive coil. The second drive coil must not be mounted on the plate to actually act the second motive force, but just to stay inline with the mounted drive coil. Now do the test again to see how fast the rpm is then switch over the wires and test again. This will give you....

1) RPM with one drive coil. Note the wiring method (explained more below).
2) RPM with one drive coil with wires switched. Note the wiring method.
3) RPM with one drive coil and one coil in series but not mounted. Note the wiring method.
4) RPM with one drive coil and one coil in series but not mounted with wires switched. Note the wiring method.

These four results will explain most of what is going on and what is lacking with driving a coil pair in series. It will not give the complete portrayal of differences since to do so, one would have to repeat the above with the one mounted drive coil turned so the other side is now facing the rotor magnets but I realize that most builders have "fixed" their coils permanently, so this will be impossible to check. Too bad though.

After these tests, I anticipate that either #3 or #4 will be much superior to #1 or #2, but also that the other of #3 or #4 will be so lamentable that you will be wondering what you did wrong. You did nothing wrong. As what I anticipate is it will be when the pulsed coil is the one that is not mounted. This will confirm that the coil that is second in the series when mounted will be performing at low level, whereas the coil that is first that receives the pulse is working 75% of the field production. Basically, if you are using two coils in series, you better know what these coils really do. The good thing is because there is a second drive coil, the first one is stronger. Just scope the drive coils as A and B with the same settings and this will tell you all.

You can then test with both drive coils mounted, but this time add an ac transformer primary in series with the drive coil pair. Test the rpm, then switch the wires and test again. Then put the transformer on the other drive coil, test, then switch around the wires and test again. The AC transformer primary should have the same or close enough inductance as the two drive coils in series. Actually any single coil or coil in a transformer of the same value will do. Try it and see the difference in motive force. This should increase the impulse energy to the mounted drive coils. I won't go into why because this would take to long here.

The configs giving the highest rpm will be the one that is providing the best motive impulse to the coils.
This has nothing to do with how to finally run the device via the sensors, just how the coils should be best oriented to impart their full force. The ultimate sensor placement should be taken from point #1 above.

Once you have proven to your self that the second drive coil is not doing that much to assist in the motive force of the rotor, this will start to open up new ways of thinking about  how to best drive the drive coils. Romero did not invent all the ways so it is up to you guys to better him on this.

Point #3

Another aspect of the wheel is how the coils are driven. Right now guys are using n-channel or npn components to drive off the negative side of the drive coil pairs. This may not be the best way of doing this since the positive potential will always be in the coils. It may require further testing if you use a p-channel or pnp component and work the pulse off the positive side.

wattsup

VERY VERY VERY IMPORTANT: For those looking to wind new drive coils or generator coils, please put in a center tap. Again I won't get into the why of this because it would take to long. Suffice to say there are many things you can do with a center tap on a single coil.

Future considerations: Ultimately in my opinion, guys with wheels will eventually start to think of changing the positions of the two drive coil pairs . There will be a major difference in motive force if you compare two isolated drive coil pairs that are separated by several generator coils, as it is now, or if you use two drive coil pairs that are positioned one next to the other. The distance between the magnets and the travel they must accomplish to hit one of the sensors means the motive initiating can only happen in a very small window of opportunity when the drive coil pairs are positioned alone. But if two drive coil pairs are positioned one next to the other at least 3 magnets will always be in the prime activation zones for better motive force across any rpm momentum.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-05-05, 17:28:11