4500 VDC MOSFETS ?

Started by Grumpy, 2022.07.06, 23:21:10

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Grumpy

https://www.mouser.com/new/ixys/ixys-4500vmosfet-mosfet/

IXYS 4500V High Voltage Power MOSFETs

pretty expensive, but interesting...

F6FLT

Impressive!   O0
I love the electronics industry. It makes components that I wouldn't have even dreamed of 10 years ago.
"Open your mind, but not like a trash bin"

Grumpy

#2
Triggering a MOSFET with a @N3904 transistor in avalanche mode (see attached file).

Building a pulse generator for 4kv appears to be possible.

Edit: attached file

gyula


I came across this manufacturer some years ago on the web, they manufacture really high voltage rated solid state switches like thyristors, MOSFETs, IGBTs, also now in Silicon Carbide tech. 
   
https://www.behlke.com/    https://www.behlke.com/productlines.htm   The prices are surely high and sent by request.  The ON resistances are much lower.

There is this paper from 1991 on a fast 8 kV switch using stacked MOSFETs and components of that era, maybe the principle can be used to build such HV solid state switches still less expensively for 4-5 kV than a dedicated single 4-5 kV device itself costs.
http://bromine.cchem.berkeley.edu/grppub/frbm2.pdf 

Gyula




gyula

Quote from: Grumpy on 2022.07.07, 18:13:05
Triggering a MOSFET with a @N3904 transistor in avalanche mode (see attached file).

Building a pulse generator for 4kv appears to be possible.

No file attached?

AlienGrey

Do you mean this post I posted on Dally thread ?
Its on page 1476 !

Sil

AlienGrey

Also you dont have to use the PW chip device you can do it with a NE555
The problem with Mos Fets is it's capacitance and to get 1000 volt devices
you have to totem-pole them one way or another  C.C and if one goes pop they all go pop  :'(

Another way is to use ultra fast VHF transistors again Enjoykin 2 published a circuit on the Dally thread
over on Over Unity. I'm sure you can find it I did have it on a slide but some troll has  found a way of converting
JPG files to crud via a vbs file that's now doing the rounds so be aware!

Grumpy

I edited my post to attached the article by Baker.

Sorry, I've never looked at the Dally thread to see what it is about...

Grumpy

I ordered a couple of these 4500v MOSFETs to try building and pulse generator using a 2N3904 or FMMT411 as an avalanche transistor trigger.

Should make for some serious fun!