PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-04-18, 06:31:17
News: Forum TIP:
The SHOUT BOX deletes messages after 3 hours. It is NOT meant to have lengthy conversations in. Use the Chat feature instead.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Let's get Slider (aka Mark Vaughan) a nice 4-channel DSO with math functions!  (Read 62049 times)
Group: Professor

Slider, aka Mark Vaughan, has been BUILDING and inventing devices for years.  A strong open-source proponent, he presents his results on the forums and in videos.  No salary, just a service to mankind.   O0

Chet Kremens and I feel its time we help him out just a bit with some test equipment -- here goes.  Please consider a donation today -- I will chip in $50.  Who will join us?

See:
http://www.youcaring.com/project-fundraiser/let-s-get-mark-vaughan-slider-a-fine-4ch-dso-w-v-t-i-t-/309899

For a mere $399, we can buy our friend/researcher a nice Rigol DS1054Z 50 MHz Digital Oscilloscope with 4 channels plus 12 Mpt memory, 1 GS/s sampling - with Math Functions!
By measuring voltage and current in separate channels, he will be able to multiply to get the power waveforms =
P(t) = V(t)*I(t) .  Analyzing power in and power out is critical in this alternative-energy research.

Mark is well known for his alt-energy projects and videos and for frequent contributions on overunityresearch.com, overunity.com and EnergeticForum.com .  

Here's a brief message from Mark:

""Hi, my name is Mark, you probably know me as Slider2732 around the web and especially on YouTube.

The Playlist called 'Sliders Ideas' forms a good introduction to the low energy project builds that have formed an intense research study over the past 5 years -https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-VrIx_FsZCIPf_vxqKww6g5tAo7FRGmI

My intentions, are to further concepts that bring forward harvested energy and ultra low power usage devices for use in practical ways.
One thing you may have wondered about within those projects and have never seen are scope shots !

There's a good reason for that and why my good friends Steve and Chet have set up this funding challenge.

With your help and perhaps to answer your own future questions or curiosities about the waveforms of devices shown on YouTube, this fundraiser is for a Rigol DS1054Z Digital Oscilloscope.
http://www.tequipment.net/Rigol/DS1054Z/Digital-Oscilloscopes/

It is also my intention, that if funding surpasses the sum needed, Steve and Chet can place that money toward equipment needed by other researchers.
Thank you for your support in advance, for considering a donation toward this goal"

Note that there is a charge of about 3% for credit-card use, for donations direct to this site.  (This is common for credit cards, they charge a fee.)  If you use check or PayPal (specify "gift"), then there is no charge.  Contributions by check pls to: Steven E. Jones, 201 E. Clay St., Albany, MO 64402; OR PayPal to email Profsjones@gmail.com

100% of such "off-line" donations will be recorded at the YouCaring site so you can look and be assured that your donation "made it" to the intended goal of getting the 4ch DSO for our colleague Mark.

Steve,

Just PayPal'd you $25.00.

Can hardly wait for Slider to do a review on it.  Need to know if it's possible to use the 4 channels as two channel differential inputs.   O0

Thanks, Matt!  I logged your contribution at the YouCaring site:
http://www.youcaring.com/project-fundraiser/let-s-get-mark-vaughan-slider-a-fine-4ch-dso-w-v-t-i-t-/309899

PayPal is a good way to do this, and it should work internationally also.  Does anyone want to test that hypothesis?   ;)

Just my 5 cents:

The instruments can be collected quickly when there is specific project involved. And when there is general donation most people do not care about helping.

Also because Slider is focusing on very low power circuits the Crystal Batteries might be a way in to go for his power source.. ;)

[youtube]Mzq_qWIhamQ[/youtube]

Cheers!

Thanks.

Another donation - $50 via PayPal arrived from Europe -- so PayPal works internationally just fine!  We're quickly up to $125 for Slider's scope.

If you wish to have your name ANONYMOUS, please state that with your PayPal message, or email me at ProfSJones@gmail.com.  Otherwise, I'll go ahead and list your name at the YouCaring site.

(If you donate directly at that site, there is an option to keep your name anonymous if you so choose.)

Group: Guest
Steve,

Just PayPal'd you $25.00.

Can hardly wait for Slider to do a review on it.  Need to know if it's possible to use the 4 channels as two channel differential inputs.   O0

Yes, it is. The scope has extensive trace math capability built-in, including the basic addition and subtraction of traces.

Wait... do you mean showing 2 separate differential traces? No, I don't think so, it will only display one math trace at a time, so you can only use two of the channels for one differential measurement.

The one drawback of the scope is that it has no "Ext Trigger" input. So if you need to trigger on an external source you need to use one of the four channel inputs to do it.

Also, the sample rate goes down the more channels you are using. So while it is a 50 MHz bandwidth scope when only one channel is used, when all four are in use the bandwidth drops to 1/4 of the spec. However, the good news is that testing by EEVblog members has shown that the scope is very conservatively rated and the 3dB rolloff point is considerably greater than 50 MHz. Plus... there is a "secret" feature that may still be available on the latest production runs of the scope. At least I hope it will be.  (All old stock of this scope is sold out pretty much all over the world and I believe that even the next factory shipment to TEquipment is already sold out, so there may be some delay in getting Slider his scope even after funds are raised.)

ETA: Also there is no built-in realtime clock, so when you save setups or screens there is no information about when the shots were made, except the timestamp from the computer when it creates the saved files. The answer to that is to name the file with some kind of date information when you save it.  And another thing is that there seems to be some "issues" with the remote-control software for controlling the scope over USB or Ethernet connections.

I've researched this scope considerably over the past couple of weeks. A really good place for info is the EEVblog forum and Dave's YT videos; he has an extensive review and even a complete teardown on his YT channel.
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-rigol-ds1054z-oscilloscope/

Group: Elite Experimentalist

... .-.. .. -.. . .-.
Just dropping in to thank Steve and Chet for setting up this fundraiser...plus Matt and the person from Europe.
Quite the start !

I agree with the question of what would it be used for right away.
Short term specific research with the scope would be directed to energy harvesting. RF sources, such as radio, house mains, WiFi and Smartmeter emissions that permeate the house, need to be matched with receiving circuits. There is a need to know what is happening where, how circuit changes impact results, to demonstrate with provable data.
I know right now that a Dickson multiplier is not as effective for CFL bulb emissions collections as the circuit popularised by Inventor3 on YouTube..but why ? what is it doing ? how can it be improved ? what is happening to the 60Hz feed ? is there only 60Hz within the input to the circuit ?
One big drive is to run small circuits that remove electrosmog (now a fave term - thanks TK). Charge batteries with it, remove the need for batteries in TV remotes, run wall clocks, supply tick-over current to microcontrollers for home security sensors and for other practical uses.
Scope shots themselves go a long way to proving out anything demonstrated, any device standing a much better chance of being replicated and then become widely useful to others.

Included near term research includes the furtherment of low input wireless electricity systems for energy transfer within the home. The 'Centurion' tank circuit wireless energy system will run from an upside down solar garden light solar cell on the workbench. But what is the system doing ? what and where are the peak and minimum energies ?, what does the waveform look like ?
Also, if The Internet of Things (IoT) is to come about as a positive, then in my opinion, it has to be as widely Open Sourced as possible. Our own systems and our own research can deliver trusted integrations and solutions.

On the subject of Crystal batteries, they have been a strong interest for a few years. Anyone interested could try a great introduction rechargeable cell capable of 70mA when solar charged, in the form of C/Pb. A washed Carbon electrode from a depleted 'D' 1.5V battery, slice of lead from a junk car battery (negative plate) or car wheel weight, electrolyte is rain water and Alum. Output is always 0.8V at several hundred uA even after a year of non charging and it will run an LED blocking oscillator 24/7, for example. Mine is a couple of years old now, always in use to the point of forgetting about it and shows no degradation of either electrode...there's no sacrificial metal on the positive !

You could say, the scope of my own research would be greatly expanded :) 

---------------------------
ʎɐqǝ from pɹɐoqʎǝʞ a ʎnq ɹǝʌǝu

Group: Administrator

Buy me some coffee
I just sent $50

Received, Peter, and logged at the YouCaring site -- thank you!   O0

Brings us to $175 out of $399 needed (which I think is a bargain for this DSO).

Buy me some coffee
Just threw in 150 for the cause.

Never let your schooling get in the way of your education.

... .-.. .. -.. . .-.
I wasn't going to keep popping in but...wow guys THANK YOU  !
Your generosity is greatly appreciated.

Just threw in 150 for the cause.

Hurray!  I see that - VERY generous of you, TinMan -- awesome! 

We are up to $325 with this generous boost...  If anyone wishes to contribute to the scope for Slider, there is still a small window of opportunity! 

Group: Tinkerer

I'm in for 50 - only 24 to go :)

I'm in for 50 - only 24 to go :)

I see that, Jim -- thank you!  PS - nice photo 
 :)

Nice!  a donor who wishes to remain Anonymous donates $50 for Slider's scope!
Over the top - as donations reach $425, exceeding the goal actually.

Its still Friday here, so goal reached in one day, in about 14 hours.
Thanks, everyone!
Shows what we can do as a community of friends and fellow researchers!

Buy me some coffee
Well Done Chaps. Amazing.

Group: Guest
Nicely done, lads. Now all you have to do is find one in stock for sale!  (Ring up your selected vendor asap and get in the delivery queue...)

You may also want a 50 ohm input impedance adaptor ($18.00 US) since the scope does not have switchable input impedance. This might be needed for current probes, etc.

Rigol also sells a nice carry/storage case for the scope at $55.00 US.

O0

Group: Tinkerer

Great stuff everyone... @steve gotta remember to have a laugh right?

Group: Ambassador

Physics Prof

Nice!  a donor who wishes to remain Anonymous donates $50 for Slider's scope!
Over the top - as donations reach $425, exceeding the goal actually.

Its still Friday here, so goal reached in one day, in about 14 hours.
Thanks, everyone!
Shows what we can do as a community of friends and fellow researchers!                                             
                    Wonderful  O0
« Last Edit: 2015-02-21, 15:19:35 by Chet K »

... .-.. .. -.. . .-.
 :o
That's amazing !

Cheers Jim and the anonymous chap.
Thanks TK for the advice too.

O0

Buy me some coffee
I could do with one myself, i wonder if they give quantity discount  ^-^

Congratulations, Mark!
I think many people in this community appreciate your work - I certainly do!!

I placed the order for your DSO when I saw that the fundraiser was going well; pls let us know when it arrives.

(I'm curious what voltage waveforms look like on your mmg-hair motor, when you get an opportunity...)

... .-.. .. -.. . .-.
Will certainly let you know yep  O0
Will post on this thread.

Me too about what's going on in terms of return spikes...especially with a high ohm coils motor that's running now.
2hrs and still going, on a 0.1F supercap that started at 1.1V.

Group: Elite

It's turtles all the way down
I could do with one myself, i wonder if they give quantity discount  ^-^

Peterae, You have been very generous in maintaining this forum at your own expense. I'm sure now that you have expressed the need, you should submit a list of needed equipment including a new Rigol scope to P-Prof and Chet, as they have been very generous in spending their time to get people what they need. Your current projects certainly are worthy and definitely more in conformance with the OUR mission statement.

Also at this time, there are apparently no requirements for project submission or approval, so perhaps everyone in need should make their needs known.

Kind Regards
ION

"Secrecy, secret societies and secret groups have always been repugnant to a free and open society"......John F Kennedy

Group: Ambassador

I agree !!   O0

Also,does Smudge have a NICE scope ??

Buy me some coffee
Thanks ION

I didn't mean for people to raise money for me though, the price is better than anything we can get in the UK.

I think that very few really qualify for fund raising on the basis that they don't make their work visible to the public, the likes of Slider & Grumage are much more deserving of that as they have more time to use it.O0

Peter

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-04-18, 06:31:17