PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2024-04-19, 20:59:28
News: A feature is available which provides a place all members can chat, either publicly or privately.
There is also a "Shout" feature on each page. Only available to members.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Battery Free LED Flashlight Driver - SJR Looper V4  (Read 47168 times)
Group: Guest
The bank of LEDs reminded me of Slayer Exciter experiments, where we've hung such an array from the towers.
In fact, have just found one 30 LED bank and will try it on some kind of SJRL4 variant.

Here's a question, what happens in the present set up with a 1W LED ?
What i'm wondering about, is an LED driver circuit of immense efficiency compared to commercial offerings.
Over winter, I ran an LED lighting system for plant growth and there were half a dozen 1W whites in with reds and blues. The whites were running at 70% or similar brightness to the eye, gave a pleasing natural light to check on leaf condition etc and the whole thing was powered by USB of 5V 500mA. Far less input than many would think possible (probably those who sell fancy LED systems).  A simple couple of resistors were all that were used, to balance things out.
An efficient lighting circuit, based on the SJRL circuit, could be a boon for energy efficient indoor plant growing :)

Slider, "brightness" is not "amount", pulsing an LED doesn't necessarily make it more efficient to run it is just supplied less energy due to the off times and the in to out efficiency remains similar. The amount of light is relative to the on duty but the brightness is not, the brightness is related to the applied "power" and depending on the duty it can be seen to pulsate or not, the result is the same even if we cannot see the light pulsating, the amount of light is reduced because of the off time.

Two LED's of the same "brightness" with one driven at 100% duty and one driven at 50% duty will mean the one driven at 50% duty will emit less light but at the same brightness.

Brightness of the light is different from the amount of light, kinda like power is not energy and brightness is not amount.

It all depends if you just want to get some bright light to see by or if you want to get as much light as is possible from one LED.

Brightness has nothing to do with time.

ie. I have an LED Torch which has three settings LOW, HIGH and FLASH, when it's used on flash the light is the same brightness as when it is used on HIGH but because the light flashes at only about 10 Hz it is easily seen that the torch actually emits less light when flashing, the result will be the same regardless of the rate of flashing. Leaving out variable losses, the "amount" of light emitted will be relative to the amount of energy or total real power drawn.

With accurate testing at equal input voltage and current values an LED that is pulsing and using less total real power than One that is being driven at 100% will show the LED using less total real power will also emit less light regardless of the brightness of either.

Unless of course the LED is utilizing environmental energy. If you can show the utilization of environmental energy at such low power levels accurately then that is something.

Similarly pulsing a DC motor can reduce the input but it also reduces the mechanical power the motor can output. Unless the pulsing causes environmental input, which there is no proof of yet for motors.

I do believe it is possible for LED's to utilize environmental energy as some have claimed. But I do not believe it is a economically viable process, and really not much different from solar or wind.

@Farmhand
It can get a little confusing and I had to brush up on the subject for my 9800 lumen/100 watt LED flashlight project. The 100w LED chips I bought have dropped in price however at the time I bought two for $6 each with free shipping. Now I'm thinking 19,000 lumen variable power flash light, lol, however even with one it is so bright it is ridiculous and it lights up my whole yard.
There is also the issue of the lumen rating which is the amount of light and the candlepower rating which is the brightest part of the beam. As such a LED can have a low lumen rating not giving off much light but have a large candlepower rating if the beam is very smal and bright. I thought about both scenario's and decided on a larger fatter beam for the LED flashlight and while my 2 million candlepower halogen flashlight is bright with a small beam my LED flashlight makes it look like a candle by comparison.

AC

---------------------------
Comprehend and Copy Nature... Viktor Schauberger

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”― Richard P. Feynman

Group: Elite Experimentalist

... .-.. .. -.. . .-.
The pulse durations are one thing, I quite agree. In which sense, 100% On would be the brightest output. Can't get current where there is none.
What i'm on about though, is frequency. An LED responding differently based on the frequency at which those pulses are firing it.
Admittedly, a test setup just now didn't show what I was hoping would be seen....a white LED connected across a signal generator. At 50% Duty Cycle, past 1MHz the light dimmed, which is expected really due to rapidity of the pulse train. The battery then ran out on the gen, but the idea is to vary the duration and see what happens. Ideally, a lumen tester would be part of such a test (not got one).
However, it's still useful to know that it dimmed, because Slayer Exciters mostly run at around 2MHz and yet LED's will be ultra bright on A/V plugs, on a piece of wire or other means of lighting them. Not sure why, if the result tallied simply to frequency.

Where I think there is room for debate or discussion, is with the frequency and the pulse duration. If we can utilise Off times then we save energy. So goes the thinking anyway :)

In relation to such circuits as the SJR series, that would then mean the introduction of a specific frequency and pulse cycle that matched the LEDs being used.

ETA:
While the thread seems to have slowed down and hopefully some may find it interesting.
This relates to my last post, about the actual laser lightsaber.
'Theyve only gone and done it!'
Turn this thing into stacked dots, one above the other. Shrink the whole system to be held in the hand.

[youtube]GNoOiXkXmYQ[/youtube]
« Last Edit: 2015-06-06, 01:19:04 by Slider2732 »

ʎɐqǝ from pɹɐoqʎǝʞ a ʎnq ɹǝʌǝu

Group: Guest
LaserSaber sent me one of his super-cool "Tesla Torch" wind-up flashlights. And I just discharged it completely, then placed it near my Wireless Power Transmitter in the black briefcase. The flashlight charges slowly from the Transmitter! If I left it there long enough I'm sure it would charge up completely.

Group: Elite Experimentalist

... .-.. .. -.. . .-.
 :o

However, indeed that can happen. Some circuits can run in reverse when powered wirelessly.
I have a video somewhere on YouTube that shows it, will find and edit this post.

Here we go, it's the original SWES (Simple Wireless Electricity System), where a blocking oscillator normally runs on a 100uF cap. Introduced to the field, the light comes on and charges the cap. Transmitter goes off, oscillator carries on.
With the SJR L 4.0, the coils would be working as the pancake coil does in the video.
It's shown at 1:00 in the timeline, only a short vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSUGXCWIVoI

ʎɐqǝ from pɹɐoqʎǝʞ a ʎnq ɹǝʌǝu

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2024-04-19, 20:59:28