PopularFX
Home Help Search Login Register
Welcome,Guest. Please login or register.
2019-04-22, 08:14:58
News: If you have a suggestion or need for a new board title, please PM the Admins.

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Shifted Levers  (Read 2651 times)

Shifted Levers video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TniRMwL2Vg
The combination of two triple levers (black) with one shifted lower, creates a significant overbalancing effect on the left. The model was built to illustrate the original idea that is taken from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srBbJSzaqOg

Interesting mechanism, but doesn't seem to work, because with that kind of overbalance it should accelerate from rest.  This goes to show that the net energy gain is zero per revolution, and that's what's important I guess.  For the longest time I thought if somebody came up with a constantly overbalanced wheel it will run by itself.   :(

That Besler guy was much more ingenious than we realize.

EM

Group: Elite

It just looks overbalanced.

The weight of each bar/flag is applied equally to the arm it is attached to.

Since each bar/flag weighs the same (assumed) the same weight is applied at all three points.

One could argue that the increased distance from the mechanism center to an extended flag creates a higher leverage on the whole mechanism but it doesn't. The effect of higher leverage is defeated by the combined joints.

---------------------------
"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality." - Einstein

"What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning." - Werner Heisenberg

It is a clever optical illusion. The real center of rotation of the "flags" is not where you think it is ;) How many flags are going uphill to going down hill? it can't work, there is no gain in weight on one side, only a loss O0

Run the vid in slow motion and look at the flags only.

The motion is run by an external means, not the flags.

regards

Mike 8)

---------------------------
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."
Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

As a general rule, the most successful person in life is the person that has the best information.

OMG, I just had an insight into this mechanism, and I think I know how to improve it (maybe)

Check this out,  so like WW was saying, the joints take the torque, but if the joints for the wheels are now mounted on a wheel instead of the fixed pedestal, this counter torque will make this wheel want to rotate to the left, but we can move the 3 weights to always keep them applying a torque, or can we?  (and since the weights seem to be in a balanced state no matter what position they are in, minimal energy input or no energy at all is expanded)

A drawing is worth a thousand words, but I don't have time right now, hopefully you can visualize what I'm saying.

EM

Pages: [1]
« previous next »

Home Help Search Login Register
Theme © PopularFX | Based on PFX Ideas! | Scripts from iScript4u 2019-04-22, 08:14:58